A little perspective, please

AURex

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A case in point, for the season opener we have three key offensive players suspended, two of whom were eventually dismissed from the team. If KP was suspended will he make it a trifecta.

Why did we not develop our RB depth? Because to Gus the next man up, at least for RB's means is KJ out of the injury tent?

17 minutes ago, kd4au said:

It has been a really good year and we were close to having a great year. I hate to give bama credit for anything  but playing them last week had as much to do with losing today as anything. We looked like a tired team to me and with a less then 100% KJ it was to much to over come. We got whipped in the trenches all game and I think it was from playing such a tough game last week. I know it will never happen but I wish we could play the turds earlier in the season and have a easy game the week before the sec championship.

I agree. Why do all of the rival games have to be played last? When, if ever, the rivalry was less toxic, it wouldn't matter so much.

4 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

A case in point, for the season opener we have three key offensive players suspended, two of whom were eventually dismissed from the team. If KP was suspended will he make it a trifecta.

Why did we not develop our RB depth? Because to Gus the next man up, at least for RB's means is KJ out of the injury tent?

Did you see Kam get blown up on blocks and Malik and Devan fall down on contact and the fumbles all year long and the pass drops?

Sometimes the next man up isn't about next body. If a 30% KJ is better than an a 100%  Malik Miller, then what is the right coaching call?

We still scored more on Georgia than they did on us this year.  We won by 23, they won by 21. They just so happened to win the game that sent you forward in basically a home game.  If we played the champ game with 70/30 split and roles are reversed, we probably win. I just didn't like the dirty play by Georgia.  I am glad we did not retaliate. 

20 minutes ago, AU64 said:

perspective?.....man you've come to the wrong place if you expect to see much of that on this site....

I've been reading through here, looks like most people (tonight) are saying "Gus is ok, but I wish he would do XYZ". Almost all of them are pretty much valid points. What's your point?

4 minutes ago, Auctoritas said:

Did you see Kam get blown up on blocks and Malik and Devan fall down on contact and the fumbles all year long and the pass drops?

Sometimes the next man up isn't about next body. If a 30% KJ is better than an a 100%  Malik Miller, then what is the right coaching call?

didn't see it much, as they werent allowed on the field in blowouts.

16 minutes ago, Auctoritas said:

You're right, I would keep going with the guy who has two bum shoulders. That seemed to work pretty well for Auburn today.

1 hour ago, AURex said:

At the beginning of the season, if you were told Auburn would win 10 games in the regular season, beat both of its main rivals (Bama and UGA) and play for the SEC championship, pretty much everyone here would have been happy with that record. And actually, I remember lots of posts by people saying just that.

Yes, Auburn's performance in the SECCG was really disappointing. But, really, does it make any sense at all to push out a head coach after he goes 10-2 in the regular season against the toughest competition in the country? Florida gives Mullen a $6 million contractr as reward for years of mediocrity. A&M gives Fischer a $7 million contract after a losing season. And you want to push CGM out the door for going 10-2?

:-\

Great post. Thank You. 

38 minutes ago, kd4au said:

It has been a really good year and we were close to having a great year. I hate to give bama credit for anything  but playing them last week had as much to do with losing today as anything. We looked like a tired team to me and with a less then 100% KJ it was to much to over come. We got whipped in the trenches all game and I think it was from playing such a tough game last week. I know it will never happen but I wish we could play the turds earlier in the season and have a easy game the week before the sec championship.

We used to play the IB the weekend before Thanksgiving which gave us a bye week before the SECCG (2007 for example)

Just now, WarTim said:

Great post. Thank You. 

3 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

You're right, I would keep going with the guy who has two bum shoulders. That seemed to work pretty well for Auburn today.

It was a fumble...could have happened to any player.....like JS in the red zone....or Hurts last week when one of our guys got a big paw on the ball and knocked it loose.   It's  a pitiful reach IMO to blame that on the coach.....

51 minutes ago, thewhiz7 said:

I would add that if you don't want to fire Gus after a loss then you don't demand excellence.  Can't win them all, not even Saban can do that. 

Excellence is not the same as perfection. AU has excellence. TN does not. You are demanding perfection which really doesn't exist in the real world because human beings are not perfect. Some of you have lost all perspective. Saban does not have perfection even when he has an unbeaten team because he has to cheat to do that. That's not even excellence in my book because it's not earned.

Having to beat GA twice in a short amount of time when they already knew our RB was injured and our team was exhausted was just not a hurdle that AU could overcome. I really expected us to get beat today to be honest. GA got a second chance at a team that had no gas left in the tank. So be it.  LSU could not beat bammer twice and I bet if the shoe had been on the other foot GA would not beat us twice. 

This loss tonight was not on the coaching staff or KJ being hurt. Did those things hinder us? Absolutely. The loss is on the team. They played awful and that’s just it. Many circumstances played into that but that’s null and void at this point. This team had multiple opportunities tonight and left every single one on the field. They did not capitalize at all. Neither side played with any fire or gusto. There’s nothing the coaches can do about the player’s desire. Now, we are in a good position. We can keep our coach and hopefully have some of these key players come back next year and that’ll give us another year with a complete team and our OC. I believe the future is bright. 

We had to expend a ton of emotional energy in the iron bowl, UGa got to coast thru Tech. We used some saved plays to beat bama, UGa got to see them. KJ wasn't 100%. He's not just our best RB, he seems to be the GUY the others rally round. Even so we started well & were about to go up by 2 scores until Jarett fumbled. After that fumble the momentum swung to UGa  & we didn't seem to have enough in the tank to wrestle it away from them. Even so, we were still in the game heading to the 4th qtr. I wish it had ended differently. I wish we could have made that 1 play that might have made a difference. Instead, KJ fumbled. I don't recall him fumbling all year. Can anyone tell me if I'm right about that? I hate that he did that after all his marvelous play this season.

Looking forward to next year. I hope Kam Pettway is back. I hope Kam Martin can learn to block so he can be on the field more. I hope Jarret can learn to play in such a way to help us get momentum back when it goes against us (in all 3 losses he seemed to play worse when things went bad, which is just when we need him raise his play). I hope our young players step up (thinking of you, Calvin Ashley!). And I hope our guys use this loss for motivation all off season & into next year. War Eagle!!!

Well written. Spot on. Remember that Jarrett is young. He's never been on this big of a stage and I am sure it got in his head. He will be fine. He will learn from this and grow into even a better QB. Extremely proud of this team and how they fought all year. We just ran out of gas. I want Gus to stay and I hope some jerk fans don't run him off. This loss was not on him.  

I am not sure I agree with you. To dominate them the first go round and to lose by the margin of victory that we lost by in the second round is quite confusing. I find it difficult to believe that one player makes that much of a difference. I think this one came down to game plan pure and simple.We got trucked.

2 hours ago, lca408 said:

10-3

I said "in the regular season." Auburn went 10-2 in the regular season.

1 hour ago, kd4au said:

I know it will never happen but I wish we could play the turds earlier in the season and have a easy game the week before the sec championship.

This comes off a little timid. We argue about amen corner compared to other schools but I wouldn't want it any other way. Championship teams always find a way to win regardless of how their schedule lines up. 

2 hours ago, Auctoritas said:

It's time for a divorce.

Not talking about Malzhan. 

Can we have two websites? Some of you people are great. The rest of you can take a long walk off a short pier. You're the biggest group of whining, crying jackwagons on the planet and you don't deserve to call yourself Auburn fans. 

We won 10 games and beat UGA and Bama when they were ranked number 1. If that's not good enough for you, nothing ever 

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, milehighfan said:

Dye and Auburn did it in 1983 going against the toughest schedule in the country.

Did that team play 3 top 6 teams in 4 weeks? Did that team underperform in their bowl game against a subpar team to cost us a MNC?

2 hours ago, kd4au said:

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

Look, I've been blasted in the past on AUF for not pumping enough sunshine. I criticize when I think criticism is due and there are some here who don't like that.

Tonight, KJ was injured and we had nobody his equal to put in. Stidham got rattled and was off target on most of his passes in the second half.

Kirby Smart and the UGA coaches had a really great game plan and it worked. In the off season, Auburn coaches (whoever they are) are going to have to adjust, because you know for sure Bama and every other team Auburn plays was watching and learning from what UGA was doing defensively.

Auburn got beat. The OL couldn't give JS enough time. JS couldn't hit his receivers. And the offensive game plan was totally countered by the preparation of UGA.

HOWEVER, this loss was not all on Malzahn. And you can be sure, if CGM leaves, so do most of the coaching staff. Personally, I think Steele and Travis Williams and Garner and Lindsey have done a fine job this year. I'm not eager to see all these coaches leave. Actually, I am interested to see what they can do with another year or prep.

25 minutes ago, madkat7 said:

I am not sure I agree with you. To dominate them the first go round and to lose by the margin of victory that we lost by in the second round is quite confusing. I find it difficult to believe that one player makes that much of a difference. I think this one came down to game plan pure and simple.We got trucked.

I wouldn't say game plan. Just on O, uga ate our lunch on the line of scrimmage, CC wasn't doing much either throwing cut blocks instead of squaring up. We had receivers open in the flats and after plays broke down they were just under thrown. That's execution

Archived