"Our Time" doesn't end now (my eat crow post)

SCTiger2011

As someone who loudly called for CGM's head after LSU, I bandwagon-ed myself back on the bus following UGA and jumped in the driver's lap after UAT.  AU got outplayed tonight; yes, maybe a little outcoached too.  It doesn't change the fact Malzahn has earned the right to be at AU and it's best for the program if he does.  Whatever switch flipped after LSU, that "we beat the dog crap out of them" bravado (although it stings tonight to not follow through) shows a killer instinct that a lot of us thought was lacking the past few years.  This year I believe Gus finally grew up into an SEC head coach.  He's still stubborn; he still makes head-scratching decisions at times; but halfway through year 5, I believe something finally clicked that will stay with him the rest of his coaching career.

With 4/7 new SEC West coaches next year, and a Nick Saban that's not getting any younger, AU is poised for that "consistency" we as fans always long for.  There's a really good chance Auburn ends the decade with 4-5 conference championship appearances, and 2-3 National championship appearances in the peak of the "Bama Dynasty."  I realize loyalty on both ends (fans and coaches) isn't what it used to be, but I believe a 52-year-old Malzahn can get AU football not only to the consistent level, but to the level where the program begins to run itself in both recruiting top talent and playing for championships.  The nuts and bolts of a lasting program have already been built, and I really think this November laid the foundation that Auburn fans will look back on in 2020 and beyond as ushering in a golden period of AU football.  

Hope the boys go get that 11th W, excited to watch recruiting finish strong, and will sleep tonight feeling better about the program than I have since 2013.  But, unlike 2014-2016, this is a different Gus; a Gus who has learned how to be an SEC head coach in all temperatures of the fiery furnace that is the SEC west; a Gus with a killer instinct to not only take a program to the top but to consistently return it there.  Gus is our coach; and as long as that's true, I believe for a bunch of future AU football players, that "our time" is just beginning.  WDE.

I wish I had your confidence but I don’t know what to think anymore.  KJ should have played sparingly today because he was clearly limited and we had no run game.  That fumble killed any chance of us turning it sround.  That decision is squarely on Gus.  How do we not have another RB ready to play?  That’s on coaching and recruiting.  Ga has two top RB recruits to add to their stable of big strong fast RBs; we go after them but are never successful at hauling them in.  

UGA played like schoolyard bullies today and we got thrashed.  KS is a Saban trained guy and he knows who and how to recruit.  They have out recruited AU at almost every position do to think that things will be better next yr is not plausible.

10 minutes ago, SCTiger2011 said:

As someone who loudly called for CGM's head after LSU, I bandwagon-ed myself back on the bus following UGA and jumped in the driver's lap after UAT.  AU got outplayed tonight; yes, maybe a little outcoached too.  It doesn't change the fact Malzahn has earned the right to be at AU and it's best for the program if he does.  Whatever switch flipped after LSU, that "we beat the dog crap out of them" bravado (although it stings tonight to not follow through) shows a killer instinct that a lot of us thought was lacking the past few years.  This year I believe Gus finally grew up into an SEC head coach.  He's still stubborn; he still makes head-scratching decisions at times; but halfway through year 5, I believe something finally clicked that will stay with him the rest of his coaching career.

With 4/7 new SEC West coaches next year, and a Nick Saban that's not getting any younger, AU is poised for that "consistency" we as fans always long for.  There's a really good chance Auburn ends the decade with 4-5 conference championship appearances, and 2-3 National championship appearances in the peak of the "Bama Dynasty."  I realize loyalty on both ends (fans and coaches) isn't what it used to be, but I believe a 52-year-old Malzahn can get AU football not only to the consistent level, but to the level where the program begins to run itself in both recruiting top talent and playing for championships.  The nuts and bolts of a lasting program have already been built, and I really think this November laid the foundation that Auburn fans will look back on in 2020 and beyond as ushering in a golden period of AU football.  

Hope the boys go get that 11th W, excited to watch recruiting finish strong, and will sleep tonight feeling better about the program than I have since 2013.  But, unlike 2014-2016, this is a different Gus; a Gus who has learned how to be an SEC head coach in all temperatures of the fiery furnace that is the SEC west; a Gus with a killer instinct to not only take a program to the top but to consistently return it there.  Gus is our coach; and as long as that's true, I believe for a bunch of future AU football players, that "our time" is just beginning.  WDE.

I want to see the demands...someone on tRANT said one of the demands included veto power in regards to the next AD. I have no clue if that is true or not, but if so, that is too much power. A power that Arkansas is actually willing to give.

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

I want to see the demands...someone on tRANT said one of the demands included veto power in regards to the next AD. I have no clue if that is true or not, but if so, that is too much power. A power that Arkansas is actually willing to give.

It's not too much power if the new AD is a known member of the underbelly of our program. I would want that too, knowing our history.

3 minutes ago, mom2kid said:

I wish I had your confidence but I don’t know what to think anymore.  KJ should have played soaringly tiday becsuse he was clearly limited and we had no run game.  That fumble killed any chance of us turning it sround.  That decision is squarely on Gus.  How do we not have another RB ready to play?  That’s on coaching and recruiting.  Ga has two top RB recruits ti add to their stabke of big strong fast RBs; we go after them but are never successful at hauling them in.  

UGA played like schoolyard bullies today and we got thrashed.  KS is a Saban trained guy and he knows who and how to recruit.  They have out recruited AU at almost every position do to think that things will be better next yr is not plausible.

Agree on the first.  Stidham's fumble in the first half was more detrimental to the flow of the game in my opinion.  I think that a lot of us haven't given enough thought to the fact that there was no Pettway this year as well.  So a game like this puts you down to two extremely green guys behind your premier back.  Not your best case scenario at any time, and I would have liked to see more Malik Miller as well, but I would have enjoyed to see this team with their top two backs healthy all year.

4 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

It's not too much power if the new AD is a known member of the underbelly of our program. I would want that too, knowing our history.

The head coach shouldn't have veto power to choose who they want as the AD. Way too much power for one person. If he wants to be on a committee and have recommendations that is great. He shouldn't be able to veto a hire.

12 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

I just don't share that thinking. We may need to fix an AD problem but the HC should not be putting his guy in. Hopefully we get a qualified and experienced AD and take care of any athletic issues. Well....ditto to DAG I see above.

4 minutes ago, auskull said:

I just don't share that thinking. We may need to fix an AD problem but the HC should not be putting his guy in. Hopefully we get a qualified and experienced AD and take care of any athletic issues. Well....ditto to DAG I see above.

11 minutes ago, DAG said:

The head coach shouldn't have veto power to choose who they want as the AD. Way too much power for one person. If he wants to be on a committee and have recommendations that is great. He shouldn't be able to veto a hire.

Let me rephrase- I agree with both of you. However, Gus should have a say. I don't mean THE say, I mean he should get to help the decision.

1 minute ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Let me rephrase- I agree with both of you. However, Gus should have a say. I don't mean THE say, I mean he should get to help the decision.

I agree . Sorry , maybe I should’ve clarified . With the poster on tRant was claiming was Gus wanted Veto power over any decision . Sounds ridiculous but Arkansas insiders are saying the UofA is willing to give Gus that power, hence why an AD hasn’t been named there yet . 

22 minutes ago, mom2kid said:

I wish I had your confidence but I don’t know what to think anymore.  KJ should have played sparingly today because he was clearly limited and we had no run game.  That fumble killed any chance of us turning it sround.  That decision is squarely on Gus.  How do we not have another RB ready to play?  

In his defense, KJ was cradling the ball on that play and we did put the other backs in but other than one or two plays with KM uga showed they had our OLs numbers. We just got outplayed 

ourtime ended with the first and last loss.....   can not start nor finish strong  just finish as a loser like malzahn did tonight...! I say goodbye leave go to Arky end auburn  a loser start arky a loser and end there as a loser!!!

1 minute ago, DAG said:

I agree . Sorry , maybe I should’ve clarified . With the poster on tRant was claiming was Gus wanted Veto power over any decision . Sounds ridiculous but Arkansas insiders are saying the UofA is willing to give Gus that power, hence why an AD hasn’t been named there yet . 

I guess that could be but football is just one of the sports the AD is responsible for ....though certainly the biggest at most schools.. Gotta wonder what the impact would be for the rest of a school's athletic program if the football HC had veto power....though maybe getting the coach to "sign off" on an AD is not the same as making the AD subservient to the HC.   

Delicate line but guess giving a very valuable employee some input on the person he or she will be working  for is not too unusual.   If arky really wanted Gus, that might be considered a reasonable (non financial) consideration. 

5 minutes ago, aubieclawz said:

ourtime ended with the first and last loss.....   can not start nor finish strong  just finish as a loser like malzahn did tonight...! I say goodbye leave go to Arky end auburn  a loser start arky a loser and end there as a loser!!!

I know I'm not supposed to feed the trolls but...how's your sister doing after that Iron Bowl loss last week?  Did she file for divorce or is she okay with your drunken relations with livestock?

6 minutes ago, aubieclawz said:

And who is your suggested replacement?

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I guess that could be but football is just one of the sports the AD is responsible for ....though certainly the biggest at most schools.. Gotta wonder what the impact would be for the rest of a school's athletic program if the football HC had veto power....though maybe getting the coach to "sign off" on an AD is not the same as making the AD subservient to the HC.   

Delicate line but guess giving a very valuable employee some input on the person he or she will be working  for is not too unusual.   If arky really wanted Gus, that might be considered a reasonable (non financial) consideration. 

Well input and control are two different things . Arkansas is in desperation mode hardcore. I can see them putting this offer out in addition to a hefty increase of pay

5 minutes ago, SCTiger2011 said:

I know I'm not supposed to feed the trolls but...how's your sister doing after that Iron Bowl loss last week?  Did she file for divorce or is she okay with your drunken relations with livestock?

if it was me first choice Lane Kiffin/// second Mike  Leach

1 minute ago, aubieclawz said:

if it was me first choice Lane Kiffin/// second Mike  Leach

Mike leach offense would get tore up in the SEC

38 minutes ago, DAG said:

I remember when the head football coach was also the AD.  Now, with all the lesser sports it's not possible for the coach/AD to oversee all the programs.  This said, the AD needs to let the football coach do his job and not get involved with day-to-day.

1 hour ago, SCTiger2011 said:

I agree and appreciate your post and comments.

32 minutes ago, CAReeves2010 said:

In his defense, KJ was cradling the ball on that play and we did put the other backs in but other than one or two plays with KM uga showed they had our OLs numbers. We just got outplayed 

True.

1 hour ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Everyone also needs to keep in mind., veto power doesn't mean the power to name his own guy. It means the power to say "no" if someone tries to pull something like what happened at Tennessee.

1 hour ago, mom2kid said:

I wish I had your confidence but I don’t know what to think anymore.  KJ should have played sparingly today because he was clearly limited and we had no run game.  That fumble killed any chance of us turning it sround.  That decision is squarely on Gus.  How do we not have another RB ready to play?  That’s on coaching and recruiting.  Ga has two top RB recruits to add to their stable of big strong fast RBs; we go after them but are never successful at hauling them in.  

UGA played like schoolyard bullies today and we got thrashed.  KS is a Saban trained guy and he knows who and how to recruit.

Some perspective. KJ actually looked fine out there until 13 or 18 (I can remember which) took the cheap shot that even Danielson called out. Georgia very much played with the intent to injure our guys and succeeded. I'm not going to lay this one on Gus, except to say that he's going to have to figure out, going forward, how to get our guys in good enough shape to survive 3 monumental games in 4 weeks, because they very obviously had nothing left in the tank. Our O-line that owned Georgia in the first game couldn't stop anyone and left Stidham having to improvise most of the game, and our D was getting to the play, but was getting out-fought on the tackle. Our receivers couldnt hold a block either. Swapping out backs wasn't going to do a thing because our line wasn't making holes, and Georgia had the peremiter locked down. Stidham also had no time.

I go back to the question... do we need to look at someone other than Russel, because we are always going to have to play our three toughest games in the last 4 weeks of the season if we are going to win a championship? We also need to find a way to keep key personnel healthy... something we've not done in 3 years.

As for Georgia recruiting, they have out recruited us for years, long before Smart, because Georgia is fertile ground. That doesn't mean we can't whip them like we did in the first game. We just need to build depth and increase strength/stamina.

Archived