SECCG - Postgame Presser

RunInRed

5 years: 1 SEC title, 2 SEC West titles, 2 wins versus #1 ranked Bama/Saban teams, 1 National Championship appearance, 1 and soon to be 2 New Years 6 Bowls. This was all accomplished in the nations toughest division, during one of college football’s greatest dynasties that happens to be the state school in your state. Name the available coach guaranteed to be an improvement. While your thinking it through, spend some time on the Tennessee coaching boards and read activity from the past week. Good luck. Tough losses? You bet. Some disappointments? Sure. But I can live with double digit wins and  getting to Atlanta every 2 or 3 years. 

WDE???!!!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Chizik went 3-9 and lost the team in 2012.  We were ranked #2 today and lost to a fellow top 6 team on a neutral field.  How is that mediocre?  

Tonight's over-reaction by some in our fan base is embarrassing.  You can't win them all.  All I ever want is a shot at a title, which we had. UGA was better today.  Tip your cap and move on.  The turn around since LSU deserves kudos.

I'll gladly tip my cap to the victors but not because they're the better football team, not because they have more talent (they don't) but because their coaching  staff had their team prepared to play football, ours didn't. It's won thing to lose while competing. It's quite another to get thoroughly beat down. I'm tired of these inexplicable games where the coaching staff has the players ill prepared to play football. When was the last time a Gus Malzahn coached team won a big game on the road? Louisville 2015? K-state 2014? Missouri 2013 SEC Championship game? 

2 minutes ago, murpjf88 said:

I'll gladly tip my cap to the victors but not because they're the better football team, not because they have more talent (they don't) but because their coaching  staff had their team prepared to play football, ours didn't. It's won thing to lose while competing. It's quite another to get thoroughly beat down. I'm tired of these inexplicable games where the coaching staff has the players ill prepared to play football. When was the last time a Gus Malzahn coached team won a big game on the road? Louisville 2015? K-state 2014? Missouri 2013 SEC Championship game? 

Georgia whipped us on the LOS. I hate it, but this is on our players. They had their ass handed to them. Gus don't block and tackle. Sorry, IIWII.

3 minutes ago, murpjf88 said:

Your avatar is fitting as you only post after a loss and it's always doom and gloom. And to answer your question, what coach could win with both the star RBs injured, your top LB, your top CB, and one of your top DEs injured? Answer: probably nobody. Clemson lost to Syracuse (who's not a top 5 team) with just their QB injured.

Some people just have a more positive outlook than me. I just have a hard time being positive out of that showing. Rarely do you see a team completely dominate and then 3 weeks later the script flips completely. Just can’t wrap my head around it.

1 minute ago, caleb1633 said:

Your avatar is fitting as you only post after a loss and it's always doom and gloom. And to answer your question, what coach could win with both the star RBs injured, your top LB, your top CB, and one of your top DEs injured? Answer: probably nobody. Clemson lost to Syracuse (who's not a top 5 team) with just their QB injured.

Your one trick pony heckle not withstanding, the coach still ran the offesne through his injured running back, go figure.

Look. We could well have beaten a top 3 team in Clemson had we been prepared offensively.  We should have beaten LSU after having a 20 point lead.  We did beat 2x top teams at home, but then laid an offensive egg again in the SECCG. 

Gus has run his RB's into the freaking ground the last several years.  He finally gets a top tier QB, and dang near runs him into the ground.  He doesn't use the TE at all. He barely uses the best WR group we've had in a dozen years.  He scripts plays to specific players. He has a miserable special teams unit, sans Carlson.  He doesn't rotate RB's to his demise. He has no backup plans when his original scheme isn't working. He doesn't adjust after the opponent adjusts. 

If Malzahn wants to go back home, let him go. This team was good enough talent wise, and assistant coach wise to win the SEC this year. Next year will be tougher given the losses we'll incur on the OL and D. Besides, most of the underclassmen on O haven't gotten significant reps. He stubbornly uses his favorite players and completely disregards the rest. 

I'm done with the Gus experiment.  Let him take the money and run. His couple of wins over top ranked teams at home don't overshadow his lack of game planning and development of backup players over the last several years. 

20 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Totally fair.  I think we dug ourselves a hole by losing to LSU.  Forced us to win out instead of giving us a mulligan with the first UGA game where we had to get up for it.  But oh well.  It sucks to lose this, but I'd rather be in our position than most other teams.  We controlled our destiny and it didnt work out.  Time to move on and try to get win #11.

Totally. We should Have two losses right now. Anyways, I'm actually feeling good for next year. I think it's going to take Jimbona couple of years. Is still going to be bama and uga as the teams to beat imo

7 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

Georgia whipped us on the LOS. I hate it, but this is on our players. They had their ass handed to them. Gus don't block and tackle. Sorry, IIWII.

LOS did the whipping three weeks ago. What changed other than the venue?

1 minute ago, murpjf88 said:

Your one trick pony heckle not withstanding, the coach still ran the offesne through his injured running back, go figure.

Malik Miller and Kam Martin got their share of touches today. No one can run behind an offensive line that can't block though.

What I saw tonight was an Auburn team that played their hearts out 3 weeks ago against the #1 team in the country and then played their hearts out last week against the #1 team in the country. Our team played at a really high level physically and emotionally and played some of the best football I have ever seen an Auburn team play during those two games. Tonight we were out of gas. If we had played a cupcake team last week (Ga Tech) then tonight would have been different. I don't think that ANYONE could have coached our team up to be able to play a top team that was much fresher.

It breaks my heart for our players that they had to play a playoff caliber team for the third time in 3 weeks on fumes. Then when you add the injuries we had a HUGE mountain to climb and we could not get it done. I am so proud of Auburn's team this year. I got to watch us play 3 games against two of the best teams in the country with EVERYTHING on the line. This is a great Auburn team and I am blessed to have been able to watch them this year. War Eagle!

3 minutes ago, murpjf88 said:

LOS did the whipping three weeks ago. What changed other than the venue?

Wasn't that obvious? Three weeks ago was meaningless in this game. They got their ass kicked today. 

5 minutes ago, caleb1633 said:

Malik Miller and Kam Martin got their share of touches today. No one can run behind an offensive line that can't block though.

Martin and Miller didn't get their share of carries. They barely were in the ball game. They should have gotten way more touches and PT during the season, as well as Barrett. 

1 minute ago, AUFAN78 said:

Wasn't that obvious? Three weeks ago was meaningless in this game. They got their ass kicked today. 

So coaching adjustments, gotcha.

6 minutes ago, murpjf88 said:

So coaching adjustments, gotcha.

Hello Pop.

16 minutes ago, Grumps said:

What I saw tonight was an Auburn team that played their hearts out 3 weeks ago against the #1 team in the country and then played their hearts out last week against the #1 team in the country. Our team played at a really high level physically and emotionally and played some of the best football I have ever seen an Auburn team play during those two games. Tonight we were out of gas. If we had played a cupcake team last week (Ga Tech) then tonight would have been different. I don't think that ANYONE could have coached our team up to be able to play a top team that was much fresher.

It breaks my heart for our players that they had to play a playoff caliber team for the third time in 3 weeks on fumes. Then when you add the injuries we had a HUGE mountain to climb and we could not get it done. I am so proud of Auburn's team this year. I got to watch us play 3 games against two of the best teams in the country with EVERYTHING on the line. This is a great Auburn team and I am blessed to have been able to watch them this year. War Eagle!

Amen to this as well.

22 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Some people just have a more positive outlook than me. I just have a hard time being positive out of that showing. Rarely do you see a team completely dominate and then 3 weeks later the script flips completely. Just can’t wrap my head around it.

It's quite simple imo. All auburn fans were over confident. If we're objective you can see there were one or three plays that were game changers In the previous game. They still made big misTakes and we could not take advantage. Again. I still think we could have won this game. Both games were won on the line of scrimmage. We didn't come prepared for war like the first game. They were over confident the first game, this time we were. Good reason, but just didn't dominate

3 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

It's quite simple imo. All auburn fans were over confident. If we're objective you can see there were one or three plays that were game changers In the previous game. They still made big misTakes and we could not take advantage. Again. I still think we could have won this game. Both games were won on the line of scrimmage. We didn't come prepared for war like the first game. They were over confident the first game, this time we were. Good reason, but just didn't dominate

Simple, but if this team EVER had that mindset, then something is wrong 

3 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Simple, but if this team EVER had that mindset, then something is wrong 

Four times we shot ourselves in the foot

4 minutes ago, aubie17 said:

Amen to this as well.

Amen to the amen.  3 critical mistakes and 4 injuries turned the game today.  The Stidham fumble, the blocked FG and the Kerryon fumble, plus injuries to Kerryon, Marlon Davidson, Tre Williams and Carlton Davis.  The defense finally gave out  late after the injuries to 3 key starters.  This is a great team and it was a pleasure to watch them this year.  They had some low points but those 5 big wins including 2 over the #1 teams down the stretch of the regular season was epic.  Thanks and War Eagle!

25 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

Martin and Miller didn't get their share of carries. They barely were in the ball game. They should have gotten way more touches and PT during the season, as well as Barrett. 

That's your opinion of course....but there is only one ball and maybe 70 plays of all types in a typical game.   Besides,  KJ was the man.      You might want to check the team stats for the season.....all of those guys got playing time....and combined they racked up more than 1000 yards this year.....   I keep seeing this complaint but a little look at the stats and facts shows it not to be true.

8 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

Agree somewhat. It's suspicious that a team that was getting man handled three weeks ago shows up and turns the table so quickly. But we definitely did ourselves no favors either.

3 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Agree somewhat. It's suspicious that a team that was getting man handled three weeks ago shows up and turns the table so quickly. But we definitely did ourselves no favors either.

Yeah, if we would have scored to go up 10-0 or 14-0. They fold. We had Momentum, when it ran out it came to pride and we hurt theirs, they had to play for prIde. imo. Our blowout means nothing now. Have compete in recruiting and get back to this next year. We have to show we  aren't going away

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

That's your opinion of course....but there is only one ball and maybe 70 plays of all types in a typical game.   Besides,  KJ was the man.      You might want to check the team stats for the season.....all of those guys got playing time....and combined they racked up more than 1000 yards this year.....   I keep seeing this complaint but a little look at the stats and facts shows it not to be true.

That's not an opinion...That's fact. Maybe it is you that should "check the stats". Go on, go look at the rushing stats for the year.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/auburn/2017.html

Archived