SECCG - Postgame Presser

RunInRed

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

the kids just told you on tape what happened and what went wrong and yet some of you can only talk about firing gus. he did not turn the ball over. he had to trust kj on his playing time and being honest with the  coaches on ow much he could do. the truth is the kids did not get it done. and the arm tackles tell me our kids were just wore out here at the end of the season. and i think gus does want to be here IF he wanted and if he does not have to turn down several mil a year. but that being said i believe if gus wants to be here he will work with auburn on the money.

58 minutes ago, au701948 said:

I for one am hoping that he works it out with AU and maybe tells Sexton to take a year off. How much finer a life can CGM live in Arkansas with an extra million a year. At close to 5 million a year already, I just do not want to end my career wollering in total mediocrity in Arkansas. I am hoping CGM does not let Sexton push him off a cliff and take Auburn with him. JMO

did the Georgia players look worn out?  hell, the have played the same amount of games

46 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Some people just have a more positive outlook than me. I just have a hard time being positive out of that showing. Rarely do you see a team completely dominate and then 3 weeks later the script flips completely. Just can’t wrap my head around it.

I honestly think they didn't have enough in the tank for 3 huge games in 4 weeks at the end of a tough season.

1 minute ago, aubieclawz said:

did the Georgia players look worn out?  hell, the have played the same amount of games

Name the toughest team they played other than Auburn.

Now go sleep it of. I'm sure I'm not the only one who is tired of your incessant whining on every thread.

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

I honestly think they didn't have enough in the tank for 3 huge games in 4 weeks at the end of a tough season.

I concur. Three games, #1 Georgia, UL Monroe that we did not put the game away until fourth quarter, #1 Bama, and #6 Georgia...

While Georgia had Auburn, Kentucky (won by 29), and Georgia Tech (W by 31). They had a lot of time to rest their starters, while we were in dogfights. 

Not to excuse anything, but the physicality must have had its toll on our players. Again, that's where we need to start spending time building quality depth. The jury is still out on this one.

3 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

Yeah, if we would have scored to go up 10-0 or 14-0. They fold. We had Momentum, when it ran out it came to pride and we hurt theirs, they had to play for prIde. imo. Our blowout means nothing now. Have compete in recruiting and get back to this next year. We have to show we  aren't going away

I have to say I am proud of the way our young men have played since LSU. But that game was not on them it was on our coaching staff for getting to conservative. Tonight however, this team came out on fire but then after the fumble just seem to fade. Our running back issue could have and should have been handled way differently during the season. Gus has to start playing multiple backs during the season, but I am not sure that would have changed he outcome tonight. I have to give props to Georgia they came to play a full 60. Where there some dirty plays yes and a lot of holding but if it's not called it really doesn't matter. It all came down to execution and we just didn't do it tonight. The lost hurts but I am still proud of these young men and will give them a big War Eagle. 

2 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

That's not an opinion...That's fact. Maybe it is you that should "check the stats". Go on, go look at the rushing stats for the year.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/auburn/2017.html

No....it's an opinion as to how much is "enough" .   I looked at the stats and did the math.     Still, there are limited numbers of opportunities to carry the ball and we had games to win along the way and a passing attack too.  

KP started and went down injured but you can't dismiss his carries and yards.....the Stove and Stidham....and the RBs.   Purpose of the games is to win and KJ was the man and the guys behind him were not as good or they would have been playing more.   

You can say that you know more than the coaches about who should be on the field...but that's your opinion and I'm  wondering why I should trust it over Chip and Gus and the other coaches for the offense.?   

44 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

Martin and Miller didn't get their share of carries. They barely were in the ball game. They should have gotten way more touches and PT during the season, as well as Barrett. 

If you wanted to see Stidham on his back a lot more, sure. Martin doesn't have the size to be an every down back in the SEC (mostly because of blocking), and Miller and Barret are still learning that part of the game. Give it a rest.

We had a good season, but top to bottom we had possibly the best combination of depth and talent across the board I may have seen at Auburn. But this loss was why no matter how high the highs are, I have a difficult time taking Gus too seriously. He has a script. Sometimes that script is very successful and we can push it four quarters...but much like with Clemson and LSU, Georgia adjusted and we had no answer. Gus ran an injured running back to the point he literally couldn't go anymore, and then we just no longer had a running game. We were easy to defend and it was pretty much over before the fourth quarter. Gus can't adjust. He can't get off his script. At the end of the year we're always seeing our playmakers going out with injury and we can't recover. 

I don't want to fire the man. He did a good job this year, on the whole. We recovered from a potentially back-breaking loss in Baton Rouge and had a shot at the SEC championship. But again, this was his peak. It's going to be a while before he has this much talent again, if ever. If he wants to toy with Auburn to get pay on the Saban level and another big buyout, I hope he enjoys Arkansas. 

16 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

We had a good season, but top to bottom we had possibly the best combination of depth and talent across the board I may have seen at Auburn. But this loss was why no matter how high the highs are, I have a difficult time taking Gus too seriously. He has a script. Sometimes that script is very successful and we can push it four quarters...but much like with Clemson and LSU, Georgia adjusted and we had no answer. Gus ran an injured running back to the point he literally couldn't go anymore, and then we just no longer had a running game. We were easy to defend and it was pretty much over before the fourth quarter. Gus can't adjust. He can't get off his script. At the end of the year we're always seeing our playmakers going out with injury and we can't recover. 

I don't want to fire the man. He did a good job this year, on the whole. We recovered from a potentially back-breaking loss in Baton Rouge and had a shot at the SEC championship. But again, this was his peak. It's going to be a while before he has this much talent again, if ever. If he wants to toy with Auburn to get pay on the Saban level and another big buyout, I hope he enjoys Arkansas. 

I agree Gus and this team had a good year but they had the chance to make it a great year.

Lindsey needs to tell Gus this is his offense and HE will call the plays, not Gus.

They had the most talent and depth they have had in a while but they need to develop said depth so Auburn does not find itself in the same position it found itself in today.

Mainly, Gus has to learn from his mistakes and quit making the same ones over and over.

The total number of stats at the end of the year doesn't mean anything, @AU64. Most of Kam Martin's yards and carries were "meaningless" in that the game was already decided and he's just eating clock against an already dead team (not literally meaningless but the value is diminished when talking about true carry and yards distribution). I'd say only 15-20% of his yards came while the game was still being played. This is not rotating your backs effectively and if KJ was spelled every now and then there's a chance he's not just a running torso out there in the SECCG.

It's not hard to give KMart the ball 3 or 4 of the instances where you're just going to ram KJ in the middle (some of Martin's best runs this year were on the inside). Martin didn't have a single fumble this year either, I don't think. I get the worry in pass protection and not wanting to give away the playcall based on personnel but we do that in several other ways anyway so it's not like it's some huge advantage that we'd be losing.

Archived