Auburn’s Schedule.

WarEagleHunter1221

I know the topic of realignment has been beat to hell and back so I’ll speak on permanent cross division rivals. I do understand the importance of tradition when playing permanent cross division rivals every year but at what point does it start to give teams advantages and disadvantages? The way I see it is this, the SEC East is very weak. In my opinion it’s one of the weaker divisions in the power 5. The SEC West is the toughest division in all of college football every year and just got tougher with Jimbo to TAMU, imo. 

Auburn has to play every west team every year while also playing (usually) the toughest east team in GA every year  as well while Alabama has to play every west team every year and the dumpster fire that is TN every year. To me that is completely unbalanced and an advantage to Alabama. They need to realign but if they aren’t going to do that then something needs to be done about the permanent cross division rivals. 

Georgia had a cake walk all year and came in rejuvenated for that game while Auburn came in completely drained after that November schedule and in my opinion that had a lot to do with this outcome. Every year Auburn has the hardest journey to the SEC championship due to the month of November. They either need to move Georgia to earlier in the season or get rid of it all together. Alabama plays their cross division rival early and we should too.  We shouldn’t have to play this three week stretch in Novemeber EVERY YEAR. 

This may sound like whining but in all honesty, it’s not. It’s about Auburn players playing at an automatic disadvantage due to the way this schedule is setup. 

4 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

I know the topic of realignment has been beat to hell and back so I’ll speak on permanent cross division rivals. I do understand the importance of tradition when playing permanent cross division rivals every year but at what point does it start to give teams advantages and disadvantages? The way I see it is this, the SEC East is very weak. In my opinion it’s one of the weaker divisions in the power 5. The SEC West is the toughest division in all of college football every year and just got tougher with Jimbo to TAMU, imo. 

Auburn has to play every west team every year while also playing (usually) the toughest east team in GA every year  as well while Alabama has to play every west team every year and the dumpster fire that is TN every year. To me that is completely unbalanced and an advantage to Alabama. They need to realign but if they aren’t going to do that then something needs to be done about the permanent cross division rivals. 

Georgia had a cake walk all year and came in rejuvenated for that game while Auburn came in completely drained after that November schedule and in my opinion that had a lot to do with this outcome. Every year Auburn has the hardest journey to the SEC championship due to the month of November. They either need to move Georgia to earlier in the season or get rid of it all together. Alabama plays their cross division rival early and we should too.  We shouldn’t have to play this three week stretch in Novemeber EVERY YEAR. 

This may sound like whining but in all honesty, it’s not. It’s about Auburn players playing at an automatic disadvantage due to the way this schedule is setup. 

I agree completely. Georgia played 2 "cupcake" teams since we beat them 3 weeks ago, while we are battling our way through Bama...after...just having played Georgia.

Just now, au701948 said:

I agree completely. Georgia played 2 "cupcake" teams since we beat them 3 weeks ago, while we are battling our way through Bama...after...just having played Georgia.

Exactly. Yes Georgia plays two rivals within a span of three weeks but there is a HUGE difference between Bama and GA Tech. Georgia also plays us three weeks after playing Florida and when Florida is actually good then that’s not fair to them either imo. The schedule needs to be revised. 

1 minute ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

It's cyclical. There will be a day when this won't be the case. The West won't be great forever and is currently turning over 75% of its coaches.

I agree but Vanderbilt and Kentucky ain’t going to get better. They’ll always be them and at this rate Tennessee is going to be pretty bad for a while. Ole Miss is definitely fixing to turn into a cake walk and Arkansas is bad but the East’s bad and the West’s bad has been a bit different over the past ten years. 

10 minutes ago, au701948 said:

Yeah, now It's about the schedule. There was a two week gap between the Georgia and Alabama games. Alabama made the SEC Championship games three straight years prior to this one and I don't think I've ever heard them complaining about their schedule being so tough. Well, I guess It's only an excuse if you lose.

3 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

It's cyclical. There will be a day when this won't be the case. The West won't be great forever and is currently turning over 75% of its coaches.

Cyclical, eh? When's the cycle change?

LOL. Including this year, the East has won 2 out of the last 10. 

Wish we could move to the East. Also wish uga had to play bama every year. See how good their record is then.

Just now, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

I agree but Vanderbilt and Kentucky ain’t going to get better. They’ll always be them and at this rate Tennessee is going to be pretty bad for a while. Ole Miss is definitely fixing to turn into a cake walk and Arkansas is bad but the East’s bad and the West’s bad has been a bit different over the past ten years. 

I agree with that- and it's a 10 year cycle if you ask me. We're in an up swing on the west much like the East is the 90s

2 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

True...top to bottom the East is going to be weaker for a few years I guess....west having new coaches might suffer a bit for Jimbo coming in is probably a step up at TAMU.....OM and MSU are blank slates after what's gone on there. And arky too I guess.   Having Ga as our designated east division team will be no picnic for the foreseeable future...nor is playing bama and uga on the road back to back next year a good thing.    Gus stays (or whoever coaches) is gonna have a hard time next year for AU...JMO.

2 minutes ago, yngwie1995 said:

Cyclical, eh? When's the cycle change?

LOL. Including this year, the East has won 2 out of the last 10. 

Wish we could move to the East. Also wish uga had to play bama every year. See how good their record is then.

I'm thinking the power is swinging as we speak. USC is a well coached, young team. UK is getting better. Florida is going to be good with Mullen. Like the East, Lots of questions on the West side after the top 3.

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

True...top to bottom the East is going to be weaker for a few years I guess....west having new coaches might suffer a bit for Jimbo coming in is probably a step up at TAMU.....OM and MSU are blank slates after what's gone on there. And arky too I guess.   Having Ga as our designated east division team will be no picnic for the foreseeable future...nor is playing bama and uga on the road back to back next year a good thing.    Gus stays (or whoever coaches) is gonna have a hard time next year for AU...JMO.

I seriously do not give a s*** about next years sched right now focus is the present not future

1 minute ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

I agree with that- and it's a 10 year cycle if you ask me. We're in an up swing on the west much like the East is the 90s

Well, UK, Vandy, USCe, Mizzou, will they ever be any good?

That leaves uga, UT and UF. UT and UF have sucked for years, and probably will for the next few years at least. It's a cake walk for uga. Luckily, they seem to screw up every year and lose one or two that they shouldn't. Too bad it didn't happen this year. I would have much rather played Mizzou or Florida.

I'm fine with playing UGa every year, but I agree with those who want to move them to earlier in the schedule. Playing them & Bama like we do, especially in years like next year when we play both on the road, seems like a serious disadvantage. Several years ago, UGa played Florida the week before us & they got that changed. I think we need to make a change as well.

Bunch of whiney fans again. Look at it this way, we would not have been in this position if not for our schedule. Yeah it's tough but that's why you play the game. We were one win away from these playoffs and didn't get it done. 

7 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

I'm thinking the power is swinging as we speak. USC is a well coached, young team. UK is getting better. Florida is going to be good with Mullen. Like the East, Lots of questions on the West side after the top 3.

I hope you’re right because there needs to be a shift. The SEC winner is going to be a shoe in for any playoff scenario no matter what,unless of course everyone implodes. The winner of the East gets all the credit for doing nothing. Georgia whooped us today but the rest of their schedule speaks of nothing at all let’s be honest. It’s time for everyone to start playing on a level field instead of certain teams like AU having to walk through the mud to achieve anything and have teams like UGA have to cross one bump in the road per year. I honestly hope the East gets better. I hate UGA and I’m tired of them goofing being the factor that determines who wins because of you look back these past years it’s come down to UGA screwing themselves and someone else sort of winning by default. It’s time for everyone to start earning it. 

5 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

Bunch of whiney fans again. Look at it this way, we would not have been in this position if not for our schedule. Yeah it's tough but that's why you play the game. We were one win away from these playoffs and didn't get it done. 

No definitely not whiny at all. The truth is the truth. You’re right, our schedule got us to that number two ranking which is why I said I’m fine with playing who we play but the game should be moved to an earlier time in the year. I also said that we are the reason we aren’t going anywhere but I’m speaking on more than just winning and losing. I’m speaking on health as well. These guys were gassed and when you play the schedule we play every year in the span of a month like we do then injuries are more prominent. Like I said, playing UGA is fine but there’s nothing wrong with playing them earlier. 

32 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

It could get more interesting in the West.  Ole Miss is going to be a doorknob for. Few years.   The NCAA might start sniffing around Starkville and Baton Rouge with what came out of Leo Lewis.  I could be wrong about ATM, but I don't feel Jimbo is "all that".  Arkansas is Arkansas and the challenges that go with it.  UAT will not be on that high horse forever.  Then there's us...

The East is going to be a 2.5-3 horse race for a while.  

9 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

No definitely not whiny at all. The truth is the truth. You’re right, our schedule got us to that number two ranking which is why I said I’m fine with playing who we play but the game should be moved to an earlier time in the year. I also said that we are the reason we aren’t going anywhere but I’m speaking on more than just winning and losing. I’m speaking on health as well. These guys were gassed and when you play the schedule we play every year in the span of a month like we do then injuries are more prominent. Like I said, playing UGA is fine but there’s nothing wrong with playing them earlier. 

Nothing to argue there. I'm more pissed that we lost and the way the fans have reacted to it. Our schedule is what it is, every other year is a beast and there's nothing we can do about it. Instead of whining about it maybe we should schedule out of conference cupcakes or something. Just thinking out loud. Health is definitely an issue but that's why we needed a sub for Kerryon earlier in the season. 

Teams that will always normally be at the bottom of the sec.

Vandy, Kentucky, 

next step up 

South Carolina, State, ole miss, Arkansas and maybe Missouri, 

Teams near the top

AU, AL, LSU, A&M, Florida, Georgia, one day TN maybe?

I just can not see it cycleing much different than this over time. Especially in the middle range teams . Some teames will make runs but the West will always be better over a period of time. AU should be in the East.

7 minutes ago, AUFlyer99 said:

It could get more interesting in the West.  Ole Miss is going to be a doorknob for. Few years.   The NCAA might start sniffing around Starkville and Baton Rouge with what came out of Leo Lewis.  I could be wrong about ATM, but I don't feel Jimbo is "all that".  Arkansas is Arkansas and the challenges that go with it.  UAT will not be on that high horse forever.  Then there's us...

The East is going to be a 2.5-3 horse race for a while.  

I disagree, aL showed vulnerability this year. Mullen is gone. LSUs offenses is still terrible. We get them at home. A&M is home. Someone has to break the streak. Our enemies from here on out will be Alabama and uga for the next two years. That's what we need to prepare for. 

I do agree that the UGLY game should be moved to earlier in the season. Auburn has a huge mountain to climb every year just to get to the SECCG. Think about this, UGLY was the SEC East champs before they ever stepped on the beloved JHS turf  3 weeks ago. They played us and 2 cupcakes prior to the game tonight. We had to get past them and bammer just to get to the game. This is no excuse for losing tonight, just an observation.

4 minutes ago, Sully to Beasley said:

I do agree that the UGLY game should be moved to earlier in the season. Auburn has a huge mountain to climb every year just to get to the SECCG. Think about this, UGLY was the SEC East champs before they ever stepped on the beloved JHS turf  3 weeks ago. They played us and 2 cupcakes prior to the game tonight. We had to get past them and bammer just to get to the game. This is no excuse for losing tonight, just an observation.

Totally agree. There’s no excuse for Auburn losing tonight besides the way Auburn played. I just think it’s ridiculous the way the schedule is set up, especially on years that we play both of them away. At the end of the day we have to win to make it and that’s that but other teams definitely have more of an adavantage than Auburn does when it comes to scheduling and it’s obvious. The game needs to be moved to a different time and have the end of the season focus on inner division opponents instead. 

If people can't see Auburn is at a disadvantage when  it comes to scheduling and the teams we have to play and when we have to play them, then I don't know what else can be said.

Archived