Looking ahead to 2018 RBs

WDE_OxPx_2010

I know there is still a bowl game left, but the bowl game is window dressing and extra practice. The meaningful games are over.

Asa Martin comes in and adds prototypical running back depth to a group that needs it. The SEC championship game looks quite different if KP and KJ are healthy. Our offense was much better when it had the ability to produce a reliable 5-6 yards per carry. Adding Ass Martin and Worm to a group that includes KJ, KP, Martin, Barrett, and Miller gets us back to having the type of SEC depth that we'll need to compete. Arguably, we haven't had this kind of RB depth since 2013. 

To go along with the RBs, we have young, quality returning WRs and (with Gatewood) 3 capable QBs on the roster for the first time in a while. If the O Line gets figured out and stabilizes, the offense will look good again.

War Eagle.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

I know there is still a bowl game left, but the bowl game is window dressing and extra practice. The meaningful games are over.

Asa Martin comes in and adds prototypical running back depth to a group that needs it. The SEC championship game looks quite different if KP and KJ are healthy. Our offense was much better when it had the ability to produce a reliable 5-6 yards per carry. Adding Ass Martin and Worm to a group that includes KJ, KP, Martin, Barrett, and Miller gets us back to having the type of SEC depth that we'll need to compete. Arguably, we haven't had this kind of RB depth since 2013. 

To go along with the RBs, we have young, quality returning WRs and (with Gatewood) 3 capable QBs on the roster for the first time in a while. If the O Line gets figured out and stabilizes, the offense will look good again.

War Eagle.

Offense his huge potential next year. 

4 minutes ago, Farmer Brown said:

How many of them would actually play? We should have developed the backs we had. Miller wasn't in till the last few plays. Gus rides a horse to death. JMO

Miller must have a hard time with ball control, scheme, or blocking. That's all I can figure.

Martin is a durability problem, so you can't ride him like you can KJ or KP. Same with Barrett. Having both KP and KJ plus Asa next year with a better Malik Miller could be huge. See UGA today. 

Our attrition issues with Roc and Robinson showed the last 2 years.

9 minutes ago, Farmer Brown said:

How many of them would actually play? We should have developed the backs we had. Miller wasn't in till the last few plays. Gus rides a horse to death. JMO

you are so right.. never gives younger RB's a chance to be good..like lets say Georgia they have not just 2 but a 3rd auburn can say with speed tonight that scored a TD and 2 more 5* next year coming in..and Auburn just 1 star RB that totally sucks!!!

8 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Miller must have a hard time with ball control, scheme, or blocking. That's all I can figure.

Martin is a durability problem, so you can't ride him like you can KJ or KP. Same with Barrett. Having both KP and KJ plus Asa next year with a better Malik Miller could be huge. See UGA today. 

I just hope we use them if we have all of them.

17 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

This . We need a third guy to get carries . If Kj and kp come back we need to establish that third back . Kam Martin is a situational back. Miller just doesn’t get the touches for some reason . Asa Martin will be huge . Not to mention whitlow 

ASA is the truth but Kerryon is the man. Lmao at all the folks who were crying over Pettway. He was never good against good teams. We'll be ?

It’s hard to say what we had behind KJ and Martin for me. Sometimes players may not be at a point in their development for the coaches to trust them, for what ever reason. Some may fit roles better than being an every down guy. Hard to say unless you have seen them enough, like the coaches have. People would be wanting to hang Gus if he played a guy that got the QB killed or had severe fumble problems. I know the games have changed but I bet Bo, Williams, Cribs, James, etc. laugh at us complaining about how many touches a guy gets.

I fear that KJ and/or CP may declare for the draft. Neither guy has been very healthy through out an entire season however and that may influence their draft stock. Each young man has a huge decision to make over the next few months.

Note that Martin rushed for something like 450 yards this year....not too bad a season for him.....but some folks make it sound like he never saw the field.   The big loss was KP of course.     

But just noting that other running backs besides KJ and KP accounted for more than 1000 yards rushing this year...and that's not counting JS who had over 400.   KJ had about 1400 and KP gained 300 yards,    Looks to me that the ball was spread around quite a bit.   ; 

1 hour ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

War Eagle.

good post. I agree totally.

to not have your 2 best backs together most of the season, hurt us in the end. The only reason KJ had to carry the load ending taking a toll in the end.

To say KM and MM would have replaced them and not skipped a beat is guessing. KM can't pass block, so use him sparingly. MM really hasn't shown me to be a feature back.

More quality depth is on the way.

1 hour ago, Randman5000 said:

ASA is the truth but Kerryon is the man. Lmao at all the folks who were crying over Pettway. He was never good against good teams. We'll be ?

So KP is chop liver? I'll take a healthy KP and KJ. It's clear that we need as many good RBs as we can get. They both showed they can carry the load when needed; just got hurt. 

1 minute ago, WarEagle1983 said:

So KP is chop liver? I'll take a healthy KP and KJ. It's clear that we need as many good RBs as we can get. They both showed they can carry the load when needed; just got hurt. 

No but fans put way too much stock in him. Be crapped the bed against decent teams. He is good as a two man guy but not when defenses are keying in on him. We put way too much stock in Pettway. Kerryon was always the better back

Just now, Randman5000 said:

No but fans put way too much stock in him. Be crapped the bed against decent teams. He is good as a two man guy but not when defenses are keying in on him. We put way too much stock in Pettway. Kerryon was always the better back

Gotcha. yeah it would've been nice to have had them all season as a 1-2 punch. Just a feeling but i think we may have seen the last of KP. Just hope we can have better depth at that spot next year and get other RBs ready to step in if needed. 

2 hours ago, aubieclawz said:

you are so right.. never gives younger RB's a chance to be good..like lets say Georgia they have not just 2 but a 3rd auburn can say with speed tonight that scored a TD and 2 more 5* next year coming in..and Auburn just 1 star RB that totally sucks!!!

Can't take anything you say seriously when I have to read it 5 times just to try and piece together the sputtering of sentence fragments and poor grammar. I will say, once I did though, I agree with you.

We need to develop and have 3 ready to go at all that means for a few reasons:

1: It will keep them healthy all year

2: bama and uga will show that you can rotate 2-3 backs and they still all get drafted high so using 1 back only will be used against us in recruiting. 

3:  If one does get hurt we have 2 more ready to step right in without missing a beat. 

lack of opportunity can really be linked to not scoring on bad teams the way we should have.  for some reason the easy teams put up more of a fight than Gus expected. 

8 hours ago, AU64 said:

Note that Martin rushed for something like 450 yards this year....not too bad a season for him.....but some folks make it sound like he never saw the field.   The big loss was KP of course.     

But just noting that other running backs besides KJ and KP accounted for more than 1000 yards rushing this year...and that's not counting JS who had over 400.   KJ had about 1400 and KP gained 300 yards,    Looks to me that the ball was spread around quite a bit.   ; 

THis ^^^^ We rushed for just shy of 3,000 yards. Kerryon accounted for 1300 of that. The other 1700 was spread out more than some think. Eli Stove and Malik Willis  for instance both had over 200 yards rushing. Gus needed to spread a few carrries to Martin, Miller, and Barrett more in these last few games to spell KJ more. But KP being injured was a blow to the team. 

3 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

lack of opportunity can really be linked to not scoring on bad teams the way we should have.  for some reason the easy teams put up more of a fight than Gus expected. 

As AU64 pointed out, the other backs have been getting reps. They’re not getting crunch time reps though. I’m pretty dissapointed with not seeing enough of Barrett to form an opinion on him.

9 hours ago, AU64 said:

After the IB, KJ was 2nd in the league in carries with 250. The #1 guy had 256 and there was only one other guy over 200.

KJ missed 2 entire games.

We need to spread it around more. 

Hopefully, the next step in the evolution of Gus Malzahn is to utilize multiple RBs in his system and to add more passing routes to the offense. 

Spreading the ball around does 2 very important things:  1. It helps keep your guys healthy (30+ carries against teams like bama and uga is like being in multiple car wrecks!)   2. It builds quality depth so that when a guy does go down with an injury, you’ve got guys who have already been doing it so no one has to “step up”.  

Archived