Looking ahead to 2018 RBs

WDE_OxPx_2010

Just now, McLoofus said:

IKR??? 

The good news is that it seems like Gus does learn from his mistakes. It's just that he has to make them multiple times first.

For the record, Cole and I have said from day 1 that Kerryon is not only our best RB but also our best overall player on offense. We said it after he got hurt last year and everyone decided that KP was so much better. It's not about how good he is or not needing him. The point is that we need other guys, too.

Oh, btw, Clemson's about to win another title with a rookie QB because they repped him a lot in garbage time behind Watson. We're going to be okay at left tackle next year because Tega got tons of reps this year. Super obvious stuff, guys.

That's a great point. Most of the board was saying kp was the best back and kj wasn't built for more than 10 carries....last year some were saying he wasn't quality depth now we're saying the people behind him aren't quality....until they actually get to play

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Actually I remember when it happened after I said it you said many of us said this.....when maybe others did later....

I don’t understand what you’re saying.

Just now, aujeff11 said:

He ran 21 times against Arky; That’s basically reasonable. Plenty of other RBs received carries that day as well. What wasn’t ideal is that he ran 22 times against Louisiana Monroe but we were sluggish the whole first half and we couldn’t put them away.

Kerryon went over thirty 3 times and all were against big rivals: LSU( 31) , Georgia (32), Bama (30). I don’t mind this at all. That is when legends are made. 

He would be even a greater legend and have a greater legacy if he could've played at least at 80% in the SEC championship. Yeah it's cool to lean on your best player in the biggest games but we all know when we play our rivals and we all know it's usually for the championship....so earlier in the season protect him

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

And you can't tell me Martin hasn't shown enough flashes to think let's try him. That's crazy. Ok so he may not be as good as kj in his prime....90% of the hb's in the country aren't. He may have fumbled once ok that happens but to say he's not quality without even letting him try is crazy. 

It appears that Gus doesn’t let a player see the field if Gus doesn’t have trust in that player if he can’t perform to perfection.  He just keeps their reps in practice without meaningful game time reps.  He’s done this ever since he has been here, no matter what position.

The injuries have painted Gus into a corner for three years now, not saying the inuries are his fault, just that Gus doesn’t seem to develop and utilize his talent when he has a chance.

Also I think it's worth mentioning that if we're using a more traditional style qb then that means even more focus on the hb's and they don't have the luxury of the qb taking the load of carries and also the type of hits the hb is going to take are different. Instead of the confusing the big 270 d line and make him hesitate that guy is now keyed in on the hb. So it's not the ankle tackling corner as much. So that tells me our bench should be used even more than they were during read option days. 

44 minutes ago, DAG said:

Depth seems to always bite us, in the end, doesn't it? UGA had answers for when Sony went down. It is what it is anyhow. Easy to say after the fact.

Yeap. The rep the rb's argument was won last night, way I see it.

21 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Ok

Broken English. Can you fix it? And I dont remember saying anything about this prior to today. 

1 hour ago, Tiger Scout said:

you dont know if gatewood will be worth a crap. gus has not developed one high school qb at auburn. 

He's got all of the intangibles. Who says Gus is here, for one, and 2 who knows if he'll be involved in that aspect of the coaching with Chip here now

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

For the record, Cole and I have said from day 1 that Kerryon is not only our best RB but also our best overall player on offense. We said it after he got hurt last year and everyone decided that KP was so much better. It's not about how good he is or not needing him. The point is that we need other guys, too.

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

That's a great point. Most of the board was saying kp was the best back and kj wasn't built for more than 10 carries....last year some were saying he wasn't quality depth now we're saying the people behind him aren't quality....until they actually get to play

I give you guys a lot of credit for seeing things in him that I (and many others) didn't see in 2016. In addition to his body, I had concerns over his running style. I lauded him as a change of pace/3rd down back only. I was dead wrong. Dead wrong. However, in addition to the talent that I didn't see, Kerryon did some somethings in the off-season that I could see. He worked his tail off in the gym, and it was clear as early as the spring game that he had added several pounds of solid muscle to his frame. He's been a stronger, more solid back this season. The rosters that I can find have him listed at 204 pounds in 2016 and 212 in 2017. I think this is a point that is sometimes conveniently skimmed over. I'm not trying to say I was right about his size, but I don't think I was patently wrong, either.

Whether he was the better back in 2016 is still entirely debatable. Your points were definitely proven this year - he is so much better than I gave him credit for, but "he was the best back last year" isn't something I think you can hang your hats on. Kamryn Pettway was a monster last season. I'm not trying to argue this point. I'm just acknowledging that it is very clearly debatable. 

That being said, other backs definitely deserved more carries this season. Cole you make a good point. Its hard to say who is quality and who is not when they aren't getting enough carries to show what they have. 

Here is the problem I see right now and many of you might disagree and that is ok.  We have not and are not matching what our opponents are doing on the RB recruiting trail, especially UGA.  To be an elite running team you must at least attempt to go after the elite every down RBs every year.  Nothing against any of our RB recruits but we have not even been in the stratosphere of an elite every down back since we got Dyer and almost got Lattimore.  There is nothing wrong with getting solid backs as we have proven that our offense will make good backs into 1000 yard rushers.  We currently have on our roster good solid backs out of High School. We have 4 every down backs; KJ, KP, Miller, and DB.  Compare this with UGA who has Chubb, Sony, Freedom, Holyfield, and look at what they have coming in; White and Cook.  If you want to play big boy football and be a power run team, like Gus does, then you must have 2-3 elite type backs who can play.  We entered this season with 2 good backs that have had injuries that cost us at the end of the prior season.  The staff felt like DB in their eyes was an elite type back.  It is mind numbing if you felt that way that DB had his redshirt burned to carry 13 times this year and only come in the games for the most part to catch a screen pass.  Talk about tipping off a defense.  Our mismanagement and recruiting of this position in my opinion has been horrible especially when you consider that Gus considers us a run first power team that uses the run to set up EVERYTHING we do on offense.  I am now hearing that one of our RBs has an issue that is not injury related that I really hope is false because if true then he really let himself and his team down this year.  If KJ goes pro or stays we are really in the same predicament next year.  Asa as a Freshman, DB with no real game time experience, Miller who gets as many carries as KP did when he was playing H-Back and KP if he decides to get his head right.  I don't know anything about Horton but from the outside it appears that 1 of 2 things is happening. 1-He can't seem to pull in the top tier talent at his coached position or 2- he has been trying to get out of Auburn or away from Gus for the past 2-3 years.  In my view DB better be all the staff thought he was and Asa better be a stud that can play early and often or we are just the same again.  Hopefully Gus has learned after the same lesson two years in a row and he will have more than one capable back when Amen Corner gets here next year.  You can't just ride the hot hand all year hoping he can make it to the end.  

16 hours ago, AU64 said:

Note that Martin rushed for something like 450 yards this year....not too bad a season for him.....but some folks make it sound like he never saw the field.   The big loss was KP of course.     

But just noting that other running backs besides KJ and KP accounted for more than 1000 yards rushing this year...and that's not counting JS who had over 400.   KJ had about 1400 and KP gained 300 yards,    Looks to me that the ball was spread around quite a bit.   ; 

Its not about spreading the ball around.  Its about having another every down back ready.  KM should not be in this conversation.  He is not an every down back.  This team can't put the game on his back and ride him to victories.  This is about not having or developing someone who can do what KJ does if he gets injured or more importantly to keep him from being injured.  We all are assuming things about Miller and Barrett that we don't know are true.  Are they total liabilities that are not ready to contribute or does Gus have a personality disorder where he can't trust anyone.  Gus will ride a camel till he dies from exhaustion.  If we are foolishly thinking KP is the answer next year and our younger guys are going to magically blossom then we are setting ourselves up for the same scenario we have seen at the end of the season for the past two years.  

5 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

Its not about spreading the ball around.  Its about having another every down back ready.  KM should not be in this conversation.  He is not an every down back.  This team can't put the game on his back and ride him to victories.  This is about not having or developing someone who can do what KJ does if he gets injured or more importantly to keep him from being injured.  We all are assuming things about Miller and Barrett that we don't know are true.  Are they total liabilities that are not ready to contribute or does Gus have a personality disorder where he can't trust anyone.  Gus will ride a camel till he dies from exhaustion.  If we are foolishly thinking KP is the answer next year and our younger guys are going to magically blossom then we are setting ourselves up for the same scenario we have seen at the end of the season for the past two years.  

Who is the RB coach and where does he fit into the picture?.   I doubt Gus is deciding how much to play these guys.  At a minimum CCL is calling the plays and determining who gets the ball....right? 

4 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Have to have quality depth. We do not have it. Kerryon carried us on his back during that win streak. If Kerryon didn’t, we wouldn’t have had a win streak. Anybody can play Monday morning QB, but the fact of the matter is if our backs were serviceable, a 65%-75% healthy and non-effective KJ wouldn’t still be in the game.

did you watch he uga game last year and recall what condition sean white was in,,, recently coming back from another shoulder injury. have you been watching gas majkzajn coached teams lately? remember the blocked field goal against vandy cause of our highschool snap count that hadn't been changed since he was at springdale in arkansas. Gus is the most pig headed,, arrogant, "stick w/ the horse that brought you,,, inability to see the forest for the tree's coach there is! in a few cases it actually works out in his favor,,, in many to our detriment. it goes hand in hand w/ our inability to make halftime adjustments except for the one time maybe lindsey got through to him at halftime of the texas am game. maybe getting 2 field goals blocked in that game humbled him enough to actually listen to someone? when the kick was blocked yesterday,,,. i wasn't even watching because i turn me head every time we kick! i can't bear to watch,,, yes,, it's gotten that darn bad!!! i heard the announcer say it and looked back at the tv. Read slowly here; "even though we have the sec all time leading points scorer as our kicker,,,; every other attempt at a simple field goal is like "russian roulette""! WHY *^%%#!!!!! Same reason he ran kp in the ground and then kj and the next up,,,, untill there done! it's one of his most glaring weaknesses as a head coach.

3 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Broken English. Can you fix it? And I dont remember saying anything about this prior to today. 

No it wasn't broken English you took part of a sentence and quoted it alone, so yes it's out of context. And I could search and find your quote of you saying that but you could too. To me it's not either here or there because what I'm talking about the results are the results

18 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Who is the RB coach and where does he fit into the picture?.   I doubt Gus is deciding how much to play these guys.  At a minimum CCL is calling the plays and determining who gets the ball....right? 

64 I like you so please don't take this wrong.  Gus is a control freak, paranoid, and scared to death of anyone making a mistake.  Its every position and every year.  How many passes did we let our back up QB throw this year?  Do we know he can do anything other than run the zone read?  When he came into games did the defense have any thought of him doing anything other than running the ball?  Is he now ready to run this offense if Stidham goes down?  We are talking about a man that was forced to use KP at RB.  If he was not forced to use him he would have never used him.  He would be splitting time with Chandler Cox last year instead of leading the SEC in rushing even though he missed two games.  How many players on this team are in KP's shoes right now.  Is McClain a 230 lb WR with really good speed who just doesn't know how to play or does Gus only trust his starters until they can't go anymore?  Gus is scared to death of change.  What was his gameplan last night if KJ could not go?  There wasn't one.  It was KJ or bust.  Your answer can't be just to stick KM into the game.  That is absurd.  Gus had no other gameplan because he does not know any other gameplan.  Same plays, same personnel no matter what.  He game planned like UGA was going to do the exact same things last night as they did in the first game.  They didn't but Gus did.  Only he tried to do it with a guy that was at best 60% healthy.  Sound familiar?

19 minutes ago, cole256 said:

No it wasn't broken English you took part of a sentence and quoted it alone,

That excerpt alone didn’t make sense. 

20 minutes ago, cole256 said:

And I could search and find your quote of you saying that

No you cannot.

21 minutes ago, cole256 said:

because what I'm talking about the results are the results

Let me guess, this isn’t broken English either? ?

3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

That excerpt alone didn’t make sense. 

No you cannot.

Let me guess, this isn’t broken English either? ?

Jeff what do you do for a living? Please stop trying to make pretend you're something you're not. And I don't lie about anything, I can pull up what you said unless you've deleted it. You want to make a wager if I do you just go away for a couple of months. Want to make that wager? I came on here talking to everybody but you and it seems at least 90% agree with me yet here you are trying to start a back and forth. Like I said I don't want to and there's no point because the results are the results....since you can't understand that either the last two years at the end of the season our hb's are hurt. Probably will have some surgeries and have to be brought along during the spring without contact. 

43 minutes ago, AU64 said:

If I had to bet I would say Gus absolutely decides how much the guys play

5 minutes ago, cole256 said:

And I don't lie about anything, I can pull up what you said

Well then do it; simple as that. I don’t remember ever saying anything like that.

5 minutes ago, cole256 said:

since you can't understand that either the last two years at the end of the season our hb's are hurt.

Didn’t Pettway get hurt in the open field when he was bout to score an easy TD against Vandy? Kerryon has been hurt since he got here. Hell he has already had one shoulder surgery even when he wasn’t worked. You’re making a bunch to do about nothing.

Maybe we should work on their flexibility or training regimen but I don’t think they get hurt from averaging 20 carries a game.

Sorry NorthGa but I don't understand how control freak or not, Gus is making all of these individual personnel decisions?   Makes no sense and there is not enough time in the day for him to do that.    

Are we back the argument that Chip makes the good calls and Gus makes the bad calls?    

And if he truly is a paranoid control freak, why do his coaches even hang around....it's not for the money 'cause they could likely make similar money elsewhere.    Can't help but believe that someone other than Gus is watching the players work out and deciding who makes the team the best.  

Maybe I missed the news, but while people here were ragging Gus about KJ's health, I watched Stanford's top RB limping around the field all night on a bad ankle and yet he got the ball twice near the goal line at a crucial moment in the game.....and got stoned and nobody questioned that coach...even for a decision that eventually cost them the conference championship. 

Coaches make decisions...some work out and some don't .  . JMO

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

I give you guys a lot of credit for seeing things in him that I (and many others) didn't see in 2016. In addition to his body, I had concerns over his running style. I lauded him as a change of pace/3rd down back only. I was dead wrong. Dead wrong. However, in addition to the talent that I didn't see, Kerryon did some somethings in the off-season that I could see. He worked his tail off in the gym, and it was clear as early as the spring game that he had added several pounds of solid muscle to his frame. He's been a stronger, more solid back this season. The rosters that I can find have him listed at 204 pounds in 2016 and 212 in 2017. I think this is a point that is sometimes conveniently skimmed over. I'm not trying to say I was right about his size, but I don't think I was patently wrong, either.

Whether he was the better back in 2016 is still entirely debatable. Your points were definitely proven this year - he is so much better than I gave him credit for, but "he was the best back last year" isn't something I think you can hang your hats on. Kamryn Pettway was a monster last season. I'm not trying to argue this point. I'm just acknowledging that it is very clearly debatable. 

That being said, other backs definitely deserved more carries this season. Cole you make a good point. Its hard to say who is quality and who is not when they aren't getting enough carries to show what they have. 

Well it seems to me you're just going off weight as to deciding if a guy is a every down back. I don't do that. I know that every guy is going to get stronger each year in college. I watched kj play in high school. I watched some film on KP. You can tell by the way they run and their vision kj was the better back, that's how I came to my decision. Not to mention the hands it's easy to see he's the most complete back. It wasn't hard to tell imo

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

If I had to bet I would say Gus absolutely decides how much the guys play

I can accept how you feel....I'm not looking for a bet...I'm  looking for someone who actually knows what goes on and if that's how he does things, why haven't his offensive coaches moved on? .  

3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Well then do it; simple as that. I don’t remember ever saying anything like that.

Didn’t Pettway get hurt in the open field when he was bout to score an easy TD against Vandy? Kerryon has been hurt since he got here. Hell he has already had one shoulder surgery even when he wasn’t worked. You’re making a bunch to do about nothing.

No I don't care either. Like I said it doesn't matter but I'm not about to waste my time searching a quote you said when you're capable of doing it yourself.

Yeah it's nothing but it's just so happens that professionals monitor carries and minutes played in football and basketball but it's much ado about nothing....if kj hadn't had all those carries he would've been in the same health regardless....Like I said many people agree with me, argue with them. You can just ignore me

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

And if he truly is a paranoid control freak, why do his coaches even hang around....it's not for the money 'cause they could likely make similar money elsewhere.    Can't help but believe that someone other than Gus is watching the players work out and deciding who makes the team the best. 

It's funny you say that. Has Gus retained an Offensive staff since being on the plains? Seems there's always a shuffle. DC left for similar reasons to what NorthGa was referring to. Then Rhett made a lateral move. There may be some merit to that statement.

Archived