Null

WDE_OxPx_2010

Looking ahead to 2018 RBs

3 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

I know, but we're recruiting 2 positions to run one. We're missing out , by not going after one of the other positions I mentioned before. Why recruit scat backs that we're not using? We need thorobreds, and we're going after mighty mouse. My point is, they're not between the tackles runners and we always seem to end up short in that area as of late. 

I hear you.  I was a little shocked last year when he started running Stove in the sweep instead of Martin. Maybe he's figured out that he doesn't need a back for that, now, and will stop recruiting for it. 

I think both of our 2018 backs are great choices. While I'd love to have a bruiser, I think Asa and Worm both play above their size (not that Asa is small... he's just not huge). Neither one of them seems to be bothered, or particularly slowed by contact.

Edited by lionheartkc

8 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I hear you.  I was a little shocked last year when he started running Stove in the sweep instead of Martin. Maybe he's figured out that he doesn't need a back for that, now, and will stop recruiting for it. 

I think both of our 2018 backs are great choices. While I'd love to have a bruiser, I think Asa and Worm both play above their size (not that Asa is small... he's just not huge). Neither one of them seems to be bothered, or particularly slowed by contact.

I hear ya, but if Gus won't run KM between the tackles, I sure as heck don't see him running Worm. Hopefully, Whitlow turns into what I'm hoping he will. WDE.

Edit*

I'm all for big backs and a TE. KJ turned out to be a pleasant surprise for me this season.

Edited by leglessdan

Just now, leglessdan said:

I hear ya, but if Gus won't run KM between the tackles, I sure as heck don't see him running Worm. Hopefully, Whitlow turns into what I'm hoping he will. WDE.

Worm seems like a different kind of back than Martin. He's like a little bowling ball with a bit of a mean streak. Martin is all speed. I think (hope) that if Worm can prove that he can block on pass plays, we'll see quite a bit of him... it just probably won't be until 2019.

Gus did run Martin between the tackles but mostly waited until after Kerryon or Pettway had softened up the D. It was a thing of beauty when he hit a hole, too. Kerryon carried defenders... Martin blew past them. More often than not, Martin got more yards on 1st down, too. The question remains if he could have done that before the 3rd/4th quarter when the D was fresh. Maybe we'll find out next year depending on who stays.

16 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Worm seems like a different kind of back than Martin. He's like a little bowling ball with a bit of a mean streak. Martin is all speed. I think (hope) that if Worm can prove that he can block on pass plays, we'll see quite a bit of him... it just probably won't be until 2019.

Gus did run Martin between the tackles but mostly waited until after Kerryon or Pettway had softened up the D. It was a thing of beauty when he hit a hole, too. Kerryon carried defenders... Martin blew past them. More often than not, Martin got more yards on 1st down, too. The question remains if he could have done that before the 3rd/4th quarter when the D was fresh. Maybe we'll find out next year depending on who stays.

Agree on the Martin assessment.  I'd like to see a toss play incorporated for him too. Especially since we'll be in year 2 of a zone blocking scheme.  More or less a stretch play.