Looking ahead to 2018 RBs

WDE_OxPx_2010

3 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

I know, but we're recruiting 2 positions to run one. We're missing out , by not going after one of the other positions I mentioned before. Why recruit scat backs that we're not using? We need thorobreds, and we're going after mighty mouse. My point is, they're not between the tackles runners and we always seem to end up short in that area as of late. 

I hear you.  I was a little shocked last year when he started running Stove in the sweep instead of Martin. Maybe he's figured out that he doesn't need a back for that, now, and will stop recruiting for it. 

I think both of our 2018 backs are great choices. While I'd love to have a bruiser, I think Asa and Worm both play above their size (not that Asa is small... he's just not huge). Neither one of them seems to be bothered, or particularly slowed by contact.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I hear you.  I was a little shocked last year when he started running Stove in the sweep instead of Martin. Maybe he's figured out that he doesn't need a back for that, now, and will stop recruiting for it. 

I think both of our 2018 backs are great choices. While I'd love to have a bruiser, I think Asa and Worm both play above their size (not that Asa is small... he's just not huge). Neither one of them seems to be bothered, or particularly slowed by contact.

I hear ya, but if Gus won't run KM between the tackles, I sure as heck don't see him running Worm. Hopefully, Whitlow turns into what I'm hoping he will. WDE.

Edit*

I'm all for big backs and a TE. KJ turned out to be a pleasant surprise for me this season.

Just now, leglessdan said:

I hear ya, but if Gus won't run KM between the tackles, I sure as heck don't see him running Worm. Hopefully, Whitlow turns into what I'm hoping he will. WDE.

Worm seems like a different kind of back than Martin. He's like a little bowling ball with a bit of a mean streak. Martin is all speed. I think (hope) that if Worm can prove that he can block on pass plays, we'll see quite a bit of him... it just probably won't be until 2019.

Gus did run Martin between the tackles but mostly waited until after Kerryon or Pettway had softened up the D. It was a thing of beauty when he hit a hole, too. Kerryon carried defenders... Martin blew past them. More often than not, Martin got more yards on 1st down, too. The question remains if he could have done that before the 3rd/4th quarter when the D was fresh. Maybe we'll find out next year depending on who stays.

16 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Worm seems like a different kind of back than Martin. He's like a little bowling ball with a bit of a mean streak. Martin is all speed. I think (hope) that if Worm can prove that he can block on pass plays, we'll see quite a bit of him... it just probably won't be until 2019.

Gus did run Martin between the tackles but mostly waited until after Kerryon or Pettway had softened up the D. It was a thing of beauty when he hit a hole, too. Kerryon carried defenders... Martin blew past them. More often than not, Martin got more yards on 1st down, too. The question remains if he could have done that before the 3rd/4th quarter when the D was fresh. Maybe we'll find out next year depending on who stays.

Agree on the Martin assessment.  I'd like to see a toss play incorporated for him too. Especially since we'll be in year 2 of a zone blocking scheme.  More or less a stretch play.

• 4 weeks later...

Get ready for a couple months next Fall of shuffling backfield candidates to find Gus & Chip's obligatory "feature" back. Frankly, I'm excited for it!

On 12/7/2017 at 5:30 PM, lionheartkc said:

Who is Worm? Good to know we have more than one RB coming in.

13 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Bump. This changes everything. No KJ and assumed no KP.

I've been voicing my concern about this for months now. Without KP and KJ, we really haven't developed another back to carry the load.  I'm sick of seeing Gus run the wheels off a guy and failing to develop a real stable of guys who can carry it if someone gets injured.  Kam Martin is quick, but small. Malik Miller seems to be just okay. Didn't see enough of Barrett to develop an opinion. 

First of all, we have who we have.  We have missed on top RB recruits year after year.  Remember that we missed on Chubb and Sony M; this has been going on for years.  This year we missed on our top RBs including the stars that signed with UGA.  We played 1 back all year even when that back could hardly walk.  The coaches spent all year lying to the fans saying that all our talented backs would play; they hardly saw the field even when Kerryon was hurt.  Why recruit small backs if you only play the every down back?  So with all due to GM and TH, you haven't been great at recruiting the RB position.  But hopefully Asa Martin bucks the trend.

Secondly, if the backs aren't good at pass protection, that is on coaching too.  You couldn't develop ONE back not named KJ?

Thirdly, because of GM's mindset that you only play one back, instead of distributing the ball, we have nearly dead and often injured backs by end of year.  I guess our tandem of Cadillac/Ronnie would never had played if Gus had been the coach.  No doubt (as Gus loves to say) that our lack of ball distribution has been noticed by recruits and seen as a negative.  It's certainly not the competition..

7 minutes ago, mom2kid said:

First of all, we have who we have.  We have missed on top RB recruits year after year.  Remember that we missed on Chubb and Sony M; this has been going on for years.  This year we missed on our top RBs including the stars that signed with UGA.  We played 1 back all year even when that back could hardly walk.  The coaches spent all year lying to the fans saying that all our talented backs would play; they hardly saw the field even when Kerryon was hurt.  Why recruit small backs if you only play the every down back?  So with all due to GM and TH, you haven't been great at recruiting the RB position.  But hopefully Asa Martin bucks the trend.

Secondly, if the backs aren't good at pass protection, that is on coaching too.  You couldn't develop ONE back not named KJ?

This sums it up for me nicely. 

2 hours ago, mom2kid said:

I guess our tandem of Cadillac/Ronnie would never had played if Gus had been the coach.  No doubt (as Gus loves to say) that our lack of ball distribution has been noticed by recruits and seen as a negative.  It's certainly not the competition..

I support your overall argument however are we sure that Ronnie would've gotten carries and targets if Cadillac didn't go down allowing Ronnie to show what kind of a force he really was? Caddy was eating up all the carries prior to the injury that put Ronnie in action against UF in 2002.

4 hours ago, TigerFanAU said:

I've been voicing my concern about this for months now. Without KP and KJ, we really haven't developed another back to carry the load.  I'm sick of seeing Gus run the wheels off a guy and failing to develop a real stable of guys who can carry it if someone gets injured.

The thing is we say this every year.  I remember when CAP was drafted, and our RB's got hurt in the Louisville game everyone was freaking out.  Then Peyton Barber stepped up to the plate.  Then the season after that JR got kicked off the team and people didn't think KJ would last two games without an injury, so we were screwed again.  And then Pettway showed up.  And then this year with KP down, no one thought again KJ could ever be the feature back.  Well, he did pretty well in my book.

Long story short, we will have our RB's ready.  Also don't sleep on Whitlow, everyone is raving about him, and Asa Martin has been praised for his KJ-like running style.

34 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

What is his actual size? He's listed at 5'10, 170lbs, but looks more like Roc Thomas.

No clue... I only know what I read or see on TV. I never get face-to-face time with the players/coaches.

3 hours ago, abw0004 said:

The thing is we say this every year.  I remember when CAP was drafted, and our RB's got hurt in the Louisville game everyone was freaking out.  Then Peyton Barber stepped up to the plate.  Then the season after that JR got kicked off the team and people didn't think KJ would last two games without an injury, so we were screwed again.  And then Pettway showed up.  And then this year with KP down, no one thought again KJ could ever be the feature back.  Well, he did pretty well in my book.

Long story short, we will have our RB's ready.  Also don't sleep on Whitlow, everyone is raving about him, and Asa Martin has been praised for his KJ-like running style.

Is Whitlow’s nickname Boobie?  Feel like I read that somewhere.  

Boobie Whitlow. 

Bo, Cadillac, Kerryon, . . . Boobie.  This is big if true.  

8 hours ago, TigerFanAU said:

I've been voicing my concern about this for months now. Without KP and KJ, we really haven't developed another back to carry the load.  I'm sick of seeing Gus run the wheels off a guy and failing to develop a real stable of guys who can carry it if someone gets injured.  Kam Martin is quick, but small. Malik Miller seems to be just okay. Didn't see enough of Barrett to develop an opinion. 

But you saw enough of Malik Miller to develop an opinion?

20 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Whelp here's to hoping the juniors and sophomores we haven't seen play are good ?

They weren't ready this year, but another summer of not playing in live games will get them right where we need them to be. Well, two of them, and then we'll know which one of those guys is best by halftime of the LSU game. (We'll lose that game, of course, but it will be a great loss because it will teach our staff and players how to win.) And it will be okay when RB1 goes down because RB2 will be on deck to tote the rock 25 times a game. Next man up! Well, unless RB2 goes down, in which case we'll just put some duct tape on RB1 and tell the young guys to watch YouTube for pass blocking tips.

Meant for humor and my own catharsis.

You just summarized the last 5 years or so of Auburn football. Let me help a little. Remember at the end of the year when we play our toughest opponents we'll move a wr to hb wasting his talent at both positions as well.

10 minutes ago, cole256 said:

You just summarized the last 5 years or so of Auburn football. Let me help a little. Remember at the end of the year when we play our toughest opponents we'll move a wr to hb wasting his talent at both positions as well.

Out of likes. Stanton Truitt just shed a single tear.

2 minutes ago, Linayus said:

Okay, so who do we have now with KJ and KP both gone? Kam Martin the clear starter or Malik?

asa, will be in the mix... 

10 minutes ago, Linayus said:

Okay, so who do we have now with KJ and KP both gone? Kam Martin the clear starter or Malik?

I'm banking on Asa and Boobie. 

3 minutes ago, Linayus said:

As a true freshman in our gimmicky offense?

mike dyar, tre, roc, and kj all contributed significantly as true freshmen. not that hard to imagine...

Archived