Teams punished for playing in Championship games

TigerOne

if uat isn't in it. Send Georgia packing out west, Ohio St your conference win doesn't mean squat.

Wisconsin you played in the champ game and only one loss.

Meanwhile updyke academy sits at home healing up knowing all the backroom deals have been

made at the sec and ncaa to ensure the cheaters have a smooth ride to the top...unless

someone messes it up hence the rematch with Clemson so uat can get revenge. Auburn tried to by beating a two loss team beating two #1's.

Don't think college football is run by the updykes? Clemson you better lay down this time or else.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What the committee said today was: 

SOS does not matter

Conference Championships do not matter.

Losing late in the season does not matter. (unless you are Wisconsin and your only loss was in the Conference Championship game.. then that matters.) 

I hate conference championship games. They do much more harm than they do good. We were already SEC champs last week after beating Bama. Since we won the head to head match up against UGA after destroying them 2 weeks prior. So yesterday was just nothing to me but nonsense. Sure I would have been happy if we had beat them again, but it really didn't matter. In the end still would have felt the same. Already proud of the team and know we are the real SEC champs.

I knew Bama would get in, it was obvious. Plus it doesn't help when you're golf buddies with the Prez of NCAA and the media campaigning for you. So nothing surprising there.

Only thing that sucks though is the Bowl we got. Peach bowl, though a New Years Day bowl, seems unfitting for this team. They deserve a better bowl and different city to travel and enjoy. I think we'll beat the crap out of UCF regardless.

3 minutes ago, AuMarine said:

What the committee said today was: 

SOS does not matter

Conference Championships do not matter.

Losing late in the season does not matter. (unless you are Wisconsin and your only loss was in the Conference Championship game.. then that matters.) 

So basically Alabama matters and not much else. Every time I think I'm at the maximum point of dislike for them something happens I my dislike goes up another level. 

Why are any of you surprised?  The committee said LAST YEAR that conference titles do not matter when OSU got in over PSU.  And remember, PSU beat OSU head-to-head last year.

I'm about to say something unpopular.  I HATE Bama with a passion, but if we're identifying the four best teams, then the committee got this right.  They lost once, on the road, to their arch-rival.  It just so happens they play in the same division, so they couldn't win the conference.  Clemson's loss was way worse.  Ohio State got destroyed twice this year, including once by an average Iowa team.

If the shoe was on the other foot, I'd be livid if AU wasn't in right now.

6 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Why are any of you surprised?  The committee said LAST YEAR that conference titles do not matter when OSU got in over PSU.  And remember, PSU beat OSU head-to-head last year.

I'm about to say something unpopular.  I HATE Bama with a passion, but if we're identifying the four best teams, then the committee got this right.  They lost once, on the road, to their arch-rival.  It just so happens they play in the same division, so they couldn't win the conference.  Clemson's loss was way worse.  Ohio State got destroyed twice this year, including once by an average Iowa team.

I agree about OSU and when they got in last year.. wow .. I disagree about Alabama this year.. they are not as good across the board and when they had to go on the road and play a good team.. they lost. Alabama got in because they are Alabama.. that's it. 

I hope Clemson destroys them. 

11 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Totally agree with this^^

4 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

My counterpoint is if we won why would Au be in the playoffs over say another team if they had only one lost? That's right s.o.s. We now say that doesn't matter? From the site I saw Osu was 2nd behind us. So conference ship plus harder s.o.s doesn't matter? Some people  logic leads me to believe if we had beat uga it would of been ok for Bama to jump us because of two loses vs one. Just because they screwed it with osu in the past doesn't mean continue the process.

5 minutes ago, AuMarine said:

I agree about OSU and when they got in last year.. wow .. I disagree about Alabama this year.. they are not as good across the board and when they had to go on the road and play a good team.. they lost. Alabama got in because they are Alabama.. that's it. 

I hope Clemson destroys them. 

I too hope Clemson wins (and then loses to OU).  But, Alabama got in because they destroyed teams all year.  They struggled with A&M some and needed a last minute win at MSU, but otherwise, were dominant in their wins.  This is particularly true early in the season.  I despise the jokers, but to me, they are clearly one of the top four teams in the country.

5 minutes ago, Southwest said:

My counterpoint is if we won why would Au be in the playoffs over say another team if they had only one lost? That's right s.o.s. We now say that doesn't matter? From the site I saw Osu was 2nd behind us. So conference ship plus harder s.o.s doesn't matter? Some people  logic leads me to believe if we had beat uga it would of been ok for Bama to jump us because of two loses vs one. Just because they screwed it with osu in the past doesn't mean continue the process.

Read this about Strength of Record (advanced metrics).  Note the point about placing teams in a vacuum with school names in the article.  It's really salient to my argument.

Placed in a vacuum, without names or conferences attached to these schools, Alabama had the better strength of record. According to ESPN Stats & Information, the average Top 25 team would only have a 9 percent chance of going 11-1 against Alabama's schedule. Accordingly, the average Top 25 team would have a 14 percent chance to go 11-2 against Ohio State's schedule.

www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21654631/why-college-football-playoff-selection-committee-gave-alabama-crimson-tide-nod-ohio-state-buckeyes

15 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Read this about Strength of Record (advanced metrics).  Note the point about placing teams in a vacuum with school names in the article.  It's really salient to my argument.

Placed in a vacuum, without names or conferences attached to these schools, Alabama had the better strength of record. According to ESPN Stats & Information, the average Top 25 team would only have a 9 percent chance of going 11-1 against Alabama's schedule. Accordingly, the average Top 25 team would have a 14 percent chance to go 11-2 against Ohio State's schedule.

www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21654631/why-college-football-playoff-selection-committee-gave-alabama-crimson-tide-nod-ohio-state-buckeyes

With all due respect, this is an ESPN piece, of course they are pro Alabama over Ohio State.  They had money at stake in it.

7 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

https://247sports.com/Article/College-Football-Playoff-Rankings-Projecting-Alabama-vs-Ohio-State-in-the-final-field-111613442

Read their take a team with the weakest SOS ranking is eye opening. The committee basically is contradicting their self.. That's my take. Also wins against Penn state/Whisky/MichState hmmmm

3 minutes ago, Southwest said:

https://247sports.com/Article/College-Football-Playoff-Rankings-Projecting-Alabama-vs-Ohio-State-in-the-final-field-111613442

Read their take a team with the weakest SOS ranking is eye opening. The committee basically is contradicting their self.. That's my take. Also wins against Penn state/Whisky/MichState hmmmm

It's just like attempting to "prove" something with statistics...you can always find "a set" of statistics or "subjective opinions" (in the case of the Committee) cloaked as "objective opinions" to justify your specific or favorite conclusion or choice. Period, end of story

20 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I too hope Clemson wins (and then loses to OU).  But, Alabama got in because they destroyed teams all year.  They struggled with A&M some and needed a last minute win at MSU, but otherwise, were dominant in their wins.  This is particularly true early in the season.  I despise the jokers, but to me, they are clearly one of the top four teams in the country.

39 minutes ago, gr82be said:

So basically Alabama matters and not much else. Every time I think I'm at the maximum point of dislike for them something happens I my dislike goes up another level. 

Yeppers...I will be hoping Clemson brings the game they played against Miami yesterday.

1 minute ago, au701948 said:

It's just like attempting to "prove" something with statistics...you can always find "a set" of statistics or "subjective opinions" (in the case of the Committee) cloaked as "objective opinions" to justify your specific or favorite conclusion or choice. Period, end of story

Not as subjected when a team beats two other top 10 teams you picked to be in the top 10??? It is what it is though all mute at this point.

1 hour ago, TigerOne said:

if uat isn't in it. Send Georgia packing out west, Ohio St your conference win doesn't mean squat.

Wisconsin you played in the champ game and only one loss.

Meanwhile updyke academy sits at home healing up knowing all the backroom deals have been

made at the sec and ncaa to ensure the cheaters have a smooth ride to the top...unless

someone messes it up hence the rematch with Clemson so uat can get revenge. Auburn tried to by beating a two loss team beating two #1's.

Don't think college football is run by the updykes? Clemson you better lay down this time or else.

I’m out of likes, but you summed it up pretty well.  

I can’t find the tweet now, but this person also summed up this fiasco perfectly:  “The committee did their job well: they picked the three best teams and Alabama.”

1 hour ago, clwn said:

I hate conference championship games. They do much more harm than they do good. We were already SEC champs last week after beating Bama. Since we won the head to head match up against UGA after destroying them 2 weeks prior. So yesterday was just nothing to me but nonsense. Sure I would have been happy if we had beat them again, but it really didn't matter. In the end still would have felt the same. Already proud of the team and know we are the real SEC champs.

I knew Bama would get in, it was obvious. Plus it doesn't help when you're golf buddies with the Prez of NCAA and the media campaigning for you. So nothing surprising there.

Only thing that sucks though is the Bowl we got. Peach bowl, though a New Years Day bowl, seems unfitting for this team. They deserve a better bowl and different city to travel and enjoy. I think we'll beat the crap out of UCF regardless.

Don't forget his big SUCK buddies are gary danielson, and brad nessler. 

1 hour ago, clwn said:

CFB is becoming just like the NCAA tournament. That's not a good thing. I agree...why to have a conference championship if it's only going to hurt teams. At least with basketball, they know they're going to have a chance to win it all. If that's going to be the case then i think it should be expanded to 8 teams and maybe have 1 and 2 have a bye. 

The BCS was not as bad as we thought. It took the human factor out and maybe that’s for the best. Humans have bias and can be swayed. Instead of increasing the number of teams in the playoff they should lessen it to 3. We only need to make sure the top 2 teams are playing. Allow number 1 to have a bye week, that’s a reward. Make 2 and 3 play weeks earlier than the NCG. In reality they will increase the number of teams because that bring mo money mo money. 

This why we need to go to a system that takes the conference champions and make them the playoff teams. It would take the human factor out. If you can't win  your state or your division or your conference why should you be allowed in the playoffs? Putting the turds in is a big joke.

I think UCF should have been #4.  Otherwise, the Playoff Committee is telling EVERY non-Power 5 school that there will NEVER be a chance to make the playoffs.  Win all regular season games? Check.  Win your conference championship game? Check.  Then be told "Thanks for playing but we're going to take a group of teams with one loss each....even a team that, not only didn't win their conference but, didn't even win their division."

All non-Power 5 conferences should revolt.  Unless you are a Power 5 team, you will never, ever be in the playoffs.  But thanks for playing and come back next year!!

3 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

I wish I could disagree with some of this but I can’t.

Archived