Report: Malzhan staying

Auctoritas

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, miscram6 said:

Very happy that cooler heads prevailed at AU.  Gus has been part of three AU teams that have been, at a minimum, SEC West champions 3 times in the last 8 years, 2 time SEC Champion, and a national champion (if we all think back, our national championship was mostly due to Gus and Cam) -- and this during what is arguably the best years in the history of our cross-state rival.  Plus, we have beaten Alabama three times in that period, also.  Something that nobody else in the country has done.

Very happy! War Eagle!

Cam could have won it without Gus. I think it was to much money to soon. He still had 3 years left on his existing contract. Make him prove success at least 2 years in a row. 

35 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Where's Danny Sheridan 

He's over at the bagman's house watching the Seinfeld episode where George does the opposite. That's his favorite show and he's based his life on it. :)

1 minute ago, Timeslider 6 said:

A key question now is "what happens if we or he decides to go a different direction next year and we have to buy out his new contract, what kind of price will we be talking?"

Umm, if he decides to go somewhere else, the buyout would be on him or his next school. If not, the money would be crazy high for us...but it wouldn’t break the school in half. 

2 minutes ago, tbone1430 said:

Ok as some above have stated we as a fan base need to now get fully behind Gus. I know I gave him a hard time at points during the season but he is our coach for the foreseeable future and hopefully the best is yet to come! War Eagle as always ? 

Agreed we must get behind him fully but on a side note he will still be held accountable if he continues some of the mind boggling decisions we have seen in the past.. It starts with UCF.. he must go out and handle business with an exclamation ! point. 

1 minute ago, gr82be said:

He's over at the bagman's house watching the Seinfeld episode where George does the opposite. That's his favorite show and he's based his life on it. :)

Shhhh ESPN will quote you out of context as an admittance of guilt

The AU-UGA games should be very interesting in the future after the "dog crap" comment. I was thinking about Gus and Kirby in the dance off during the Rashaan Evans  recruitment yesterday when they were playing that clip. I don't think they are BFFs.

Good now let’s move on. Now some of our brethren have their feelings hurt and panties in a wad apparently, but the majority of us understand and accept what’s happened. I for one am glad we are not in coach searching mode today and can move on. Stability is key and the future is brighter than some want to admit. WDE. 

5 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

AU just got played to the tune of $7 million.   I would like to hear the TRUTH about all of this.   He could stay or go, either way was fine with me, but I would like to know why people at AU thought he was worth the reported price tag.  I doubt it is $ 7 million on a straight contract, or at least I hope it is, and hopefully the $ 7 million figure is due to incentives

I can’t answer to the folks who did the deal, but I’m pretty sure its a good ole fashioned supply and demand issue. The “A List” candidates this year were Chip Kelly and Jimbo Fisher. After that Mullen and ....well Mullen. Choice A: Pay Gus what he wants, retain our staff that just finished as SEC West champs and are ranked 7th in the nation, close with another top 10 class, and prepare to bet our third undefeated opponent this season. Plan B: Call UT and get the phone numbers of Doeren, Brohm, Norvell, and Miles and start calling them, lose key recruits, and prepare to lose T Will, Steele, and Garner. Auburn chose A and I agree with them. Market conditions prevailed. 

5 minutes ago, au1duke said:

Cam could have won it without Gus. I think it was to much money to soon. He still had 3 years left on his existing contract. Make him prove success at least 2 years in a row. 

:dunno:  yep...we could have had Franklin as OC....or maybe kept Tub's two headed OC team?     Keep in mind that without Gus there would be no Cam at AU....but I guess most people have forgotten that now. 

Can't disagree about the money issue....but there was no other option.....these days you pay the price or do without ....it's pretty simple...

Very relieved about this news.

Above all else, who the heck would have been on the short list of candidates if they allowed Gus to walk?

He has recruited well, has a nice class coming in, and potentially has a huge part of this year's offensive machine returning.  Makes sense to me that he's given the reins to continue with what was started this year.

Now we just have to win AT Alabama and Georgia next year to make it happen.

22 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Money will never be an issue for Auburn. We have the money

We has the opulence. 

2 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I can’t answer to the folks who did the deal, but I’m pretty sure its a good ole fashioned supply and demand issue. The “A List” candidates this year were Chip Kelly and Jimbo Fisher. After that Mullen and ....well Mullen. Choice A: Pay Gus what he wants, retain our staff that just finished as SEC West champs and are ranked 7th in the nation, close with another top 10 class, and prepare to bet our third undefeated opponent this season. Plan B: Call UT and get the phone numbers of Doeren, Brohm, Norvell, and Miles and start calling them, lose key recruits, and prepare to lose T Will, Steele, and Garner. Auburn chose A and I agree with them. Market conditions prevailed. 

Can't really argue with any of this. Not too keen on the raise,  but that's neither here nor there. Gus got his "love", now let's go out and finish the season on a high note and start the next one strong as well. 

15 minutes ago, au1duke said:

Unfortunately, he would have proven it at Arky. So, not as helpful. 

I am okay with this by a 60-40margin. I like Gus and hope he earns his money. I think he will. 

HOWEVER, the look at all sides part of me thinks an important part of this could end up being...................what is the buyout? Lol. 

Team is better, program is more stable, and future looks better than Gus found it. Don't think anyone could dispute this. Could it be better? That's debatable. I think this is a good decision at this time. 

As somebody above me mentioned, market conditions prevailed here.  AU pays a premium for stability and a continuation of an upward trend.  Best of all it gets settled early so recruits don't have to hear "will he or won't he" for another three weeks.  Good for the program to put it behind them, lock it up, and focus on the future.  A second straight New Year's Six Bowl awaits.  All the hay is now in the barn to see completely what a Gus Malzahn Era looks like at Auburn.  Good luck coach, you have your commitment, now keep up the work!  WDE

44 minutes ago, bigbird said:

The first 2 years of Gus' tenure was an anomaly. Instant success with another staff's players.  The last 3 he has gone 6-6, 8-4, 10-3. He has built a strong foundation for the program. He has instilled discipline and accountability. The recruiting is only getting better. We are not to the level where we are reloading yet, but we are getting close. The stability and continuity of coaches has been huge the past two years and will pay higher dividends as it continues.  It was time to marry or divorce Gus and AU decided to marry him.  As fans, it's time to embrace him and support him and know he wants what's best for AU as much as we do.

Couldn't have said any better, Bird.

I'm cautiously optimistic, but this year feels like we're only getting better. Better days are ahead of us.

Glad they came to an agreement and Gus is staying. I sure hope he gets a deal done for Steele and Lindsey though. I think keeping Lindsey is crucial to seeing the new and improved Gus. If we have to get a new OC then the whole "not being comfortable turning the play calling over" has to be reset and we go through another half season of second guessing. I like Gus but I really like him since LSU. Get the coordinators a nice increase and let's keep them a few years. 

1 hour ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Well as long as we go 11-0, beating Georgia and then lose to bama ending the season 11-1, we can go to the playoffs. Now we just need to ease up our schedule a bit and we are golden.

BUT - I hope Gus realized he did not do this on his own and got significant raises for ALL his assistants!!!!

What a schedule this year and Gus hasn't complained one iota.  The football gods apparently realized  how tough our schedule was to have us ranked No. 2 with 2 losses.  We played four games against the four playoff teams. I don't believe any of those teams even played one.  I'm on the bus ( at least for now) Lol

I think this was the best thing to do.  Having to start over sometimes sets the program back a few years.  We are moving in the right direction, even if we get frustrated at Gus from time to time.  Let's hope he understands the expectations and have our guys prepared for every game, which means games 1-3, not just 4-13.  No coasting with a lead, no interfering with play calling, none of the mess that had him on the hot seat with our fan base this year.  It all starts now, prep for the bowl game, recruiting, and spring prep for next season.  Time to earn that money.  Lock Steele and Lindsey down for a longer tenure and let's roll.  And please, fix the special team issues, it's embarrassing.

Archived