Gus' first and most important job

NorthGATiger

Get Holland, Carlton Davis, and any other eligible players to come back for another year.  This is very important.  No inside info but I see Davis and Holland leaving.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, leglessdan said:

Find 2 RBs in the spring.

And play all of the RBs during the season. 

Just now, leglessdan said:

Find 2 RBs in the spring.

We’ve got a pretty nice one signing in this upcoming class. Asa Martin. I could see him making an impact as a freshman. I’d also like to see Barrett put on some poundage. He was impressive this year. 

Keep on recruiting (as he was today)

Keep the staff intact, but find someone that can do SOMETHING, ANYTHING to improve our Special Teams.

Keep those who are on the fence about declaring to stay and have a SPECIAL 2018.

First off, those guys aren't staying.  Second off, it is a completely amateur level move for a program of our caliber to go around begging highly regarded Juniors to come back in 2017.  This isn't what they do at Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, or any other elite program.  In fact, part of the pitch at Alabama is literally the expectation that the recruit will be 3-and-done: come on, win some s***, get drafted in the 1st round as a Junior.

The days of players coming back  for their Senior years when they have ~1st round draft grades is pretty much over.  These guys are all now aware that a football career is ridiculously short and that it makes no sense playing a year for free when you can be getting paid in the NFL and working closer towards a second contract.

1 minute ago, metafour said:

Second off, it is a completely amateur level move for a program of our caliber to go around begging highly regarded Juniors to come back in 2017.  This isn't what they do at Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, or any other elite program.

Well, it's a big reason UGA is in the position they are in this year actually. 

55 minutes ago, AidiAU said:

And improve our special teams. 

This. This should have been on AU's list of demands. Absolutely need a change here.

I think other than needing a solid special teams coach he and Chip need to evaluate every coach on O.  Chip came in alone and had no say on his staff.  Gus and Chip need to work together to form the best staff possible.  Any chance we can lure Del McGee home?  

We have missed on elite recruits who have chosen to go to our two rivals.  What is it going to take to bring in the 5* talent?  I don’t see us winning the SEC and jumping UAT and UGA untill we do.  Just my opinion.

No way i'm staying if i'm Holland. First thing Gus needs to do is tell Chip to develop a REAL passing attack and let him and him alone do it! 

39 minutes ago, metafour said:

First off, those guys aren't staying.  Second off, it is a completely amateur level move for a program of our caliber to go around begging highly regarded Juniors to come back in 2017.  This isn't what they do at Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, or any other elite program.  In fact, part of the pitch at Alabama is literally the expectation that the recruit will be 3-and-done: come on, win some s***, get drafted in the 1st round as a Junior.

The days of players coming back  for their Senior years when they have ~1st round draft grades is pretty much over.  These guys are all now aware that a football career is ridiculously short and that it makes no sense playing a year for free when you can be getting paid in the NFL and working closer towards a second contract.

Really?  So Chubb and Sony did not come back to play for UGA.  Who the hell was running all over us Saturday night? If Holland and Davis or KJ have 1st round grades then yeah I could not blame them. 

54 minutes ago, metafour said:

That is literally the opposite of what saban preaches.   He advises jr’s that if they aren’t given 1st round projections, he advises them to return.   This just my opinion but if Holland and Davis return and make additional progress in their game, Holland will definitely be 1st and Davis might make it.

Just keep good QB, OL and DL players coming. This is the first year in awhile we have had all 3 at the same time and the results were excellent, for the most part.

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

And play all of the RBs during the season.

Yes you cannot build a team around one player we proved that with QB SW and RB KJ. IMO Great players produce lazy coaches.

Best chance is to sit Carlton down and show how we can improve his skills to reduce his pass interference calls.  For Holland, it is as simple as showing him that next year we can make him a first round guy.  

Archived