Gus' first and most important job

NorthGATiger

Special Teams coach

Wide Receiver coach

Develop RB's and have them READY TO PLAY by Game one....other teams do it...why can't we?

Figure out who does the offensive talent search at Clemson and get them for AU. From QB's to RB's to WR's they absolutely nail it with their recruiting....year in and year out.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, murpjf88 said:

First and most important job is to beat UCF.  Act like a coach who deserved a new 7 year (lol) contract. 

I'm not excited about UCF or ATL for that matter. Hope the team is, but feel we could sleepwalk in this one. It just seems like a meaningless game. Possibly we get excited about playing an undefeated team? I just don't see it.

9 hours ago, leglessdan said:

Looks like they're gonna claim another mythical NC anyway.?

20171204_092325.jpg

Mayfield just became my hero and Oklahoma to win it all. Then we can tell that turd all three of the turd coaches got beat.

Personally I would be real happy if he was able to name the starters after Spring game so we could spend the fall camp training instead having to use the first 3 games each year determining who was going to play where. Of course I don’t make 7 million a year so that would just be an uneducated assumption on my part. 

Great thread. If the wr's are only running 3 routes, they should be freaking ninjas at it. I expect all that to improve as JS is a veteran now, and balance seems to be our m.o.

First and foremost Gus needs to get his head out of his fith point of contact and acknowledge that this year was not done by himself alone and GET RAISES and EXTENSIONS FOR HIS ASSISTANTS!!!!!  He talks of finally having a foundation built, then prove it, since you used Arky to line you pockets, take care of the people that got you there!! A little recognition goes a long way.

Maybe another thing to think about would be bringing that martial arts guy back that worked with the DL this year and have him work with our OL and WRs so they beat all these holdings and PIs that our men in stripes refuse to see when we play uga and uat. 

The first thing Gus needs to do is find some O-linemen, especially tackles. Seems like all we recruit is guards. Maybe Tega and Ashley will be ready, but I still don't have the upmost confidence in Hand.

On December 3, 2017 at 7:17 PM, YankeeTiger24 said:

Also, keep that staff as intact as possible

This ^!!  He should defer some of his $7M/yr to keep his assistants among the highest paid in college football.  I mean, who needs $7M/yr anyway?  

1 hour ago, around4ever said:

This ^!!  He should defer some of his $7M/yr to keep his assistants among the highest paid in college football.  I mean, who needs $7M/yr anyway?  

I do. I very much need 7 MIL a year.

8 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

First and foremost Gus needs to get his head out of his fith point of contact and acknowledge that this year was not done by himself alone and GET RAISES and EXTENSIONS FOR HIS ASSISTANTS!!!!!  He talks of finally having a foundation built, then prove it, since you used Arky to line you pockets, take care of the people that got you there!! A little recognition goes a long way.

You didn't bother to read the details of his agreement, I see. Substantial raises for assistants is part of the deal. So is improved football office facilities, promised but never delivered by JJ. It pays to check before going off on an erroneous rant. Pulling foot out of mouth cannot be pleasant and that can be avoided by spending ten minutes reading.

There are four teams in the playoffs. Gus's Auburn team played three of them and beat two of them. Auburn is the SEC West champion. We are going to a New Year's Six bowl game. 95% of the schools playing college football would love to swap coaches with Auburn.

Reading this thread, one would think our season matched Tennessee's 0-8 SEC record. What a bunch of whiners!

I'm thinking of setting up a Whine and Cheese tent outside the Peach Bowl stadium. (it will be a designated safe place for the weak of heart) There you can get a little sip, a little nibble, write down your silly "Gus better do this" items and drop the papers in a letter box, from whence they can subsequently be read, laughed at and burned at a pasture party for Auburn fans that have enough sense to enjoy a very good season and very good bourbon whiskey.

11 minutes ago, Mikey said:

You didn't bother to read the details of his agreement, I see. Substantial raises for assistants is part of the deal. So is improved football office facilities, promised but never delivered by JJ. It pays to check before going off on an erroneous rant. Pulling foot out of mouth cannot be pleasant and that can be avoided by spending ten minutes reading.

Why I did not know the exact specific details of his agreement had been made public. The great thing about a forum is a member can post what they want to say about a topic, myself include, yourself too. The Title of the tread is “Gus’ first and most important job”.  So apparently based off what you are telling me about the specifics of his contract and what I posted about what he should do, I won. I wrote exactly what the first thing and most important thing that Gus would do!! You had to read about it, while I on the other hand save my self 10 minutes. Now if you don’t see it that way then....inevitably there will be a smart donkey like you who seems to get his feathers all riled up and feels the need to correct people using their sharp internet keyboard wit. So to you Sir I say touché, you have successfully internet shamed and insulted me. I have now resorted to a bunch of babbling run on sentences, poor grammar and bad sentence structure in my shame. I shall now take my self to the internet pit of misery, Dilly Dilly.

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

There are four teams in the playoffs. Gus's Auburn team played three of them and beat two of them. Auburn is the SEC West champion. We are going to a New Year's Six bowl game. 95% of the schools playing college football would love to swap coaches with Auburn.

Reading this thread, one would think our season matched Tennessee's 0-8 SEC record. What a bunch of whiners!

I'm thinking of setting up a Whine and Cheese tent outside the Peach Bowl stadium. (it will be a designated safe place for the weak of heart) There you can get a little sip, a little nibble, write down your silly "Gus better do this" items and drop the papers in a letter box, from whence they can subsequently be read, laughed at and burned at a pasture party for Auburn fans that have enough sense to enjoy a very good season and very good bourbon whiskey.

Mikey maybe you need to take a chill pill. I think most AU people agree this was a good year. That said there were plenty room for improvement. Most folks would be fine with 10 and three with the schedule that we played. That being said either you have a serious set of Orange and blue shades on or are just football illiterate not to have seen some glaring weaknesses that need to be addressed going forward. The way we lost those games is what troubles folks not that we lost them. The Clemson game was Gus’s normal three or for games every year that he takes to figure out where he is going. The LSU game was clearly a decission to take the foot off the gas to early as even Gus has admitted. And against uga it was a case of knowing that his main RB was not ready and he should have had a plan b at least after things started going south.  I understand he didn’t fumble or miss the tackles but he is the guy who does the overall planning and I think he failed in that case. Would it been enough to have beat uga? Maybe not. But it sure would have been closer. So while everyone agrees he is a good coach , there are definitely steps that Gus needs to make to move from good to great. He is getting the pay now. No more excuses. If you take top 5 paycheck then you need to produce top 5 teams consistently.

2 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Mikey maybe you need to take a chill pill.

Or else stop responding to dufus remarks on a message board.

I haven't read Gus's contract, I suspect 99% of the forum hasn't but thanks for sharing the info. But I did use to work with a fellow who was intolerant of anyone who did not measure up to his standards. As another buddy of mine use to say to him in these circumstances..."you think you used enough dynamite there Butch". 

13 hours ago, Mikey said:

We also put up 116 yards of total offense against Clemson while surrendering 11 sacks, blew a 20 point lead to a rebuilding LSU team by running a breathtakingly one dimensional and unimaginative offense, and got waxed in the SEC Championship Game in no small part because we were a run-first team with severely inadequate depth at... running back.

Gus was already getting paid a metric crap ton of money. Now he's making more than all but a very small handful of coaches in the nation. Tossing out angry insults to defend him against rational, reasonable criticism is what comes across as whining. 

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Tossing out angry insults to defend him against rational, reasonable criticism is what comes across as whining. 

Read it however you choose. After all, this is still America. One man's "rational, reasonable criticism"  is certainly, in this case, another man's whining.

Was it considered whining when our LB was crap and we were recruiting LBers like we should've? Just wondering. 

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Read it however you choose. After all, this is still America. One man's "rational, reasonable criticism"  is certainly, in this case, another man's whining.

Most of us live somewhere between "gus sux dur hur" and "$7 million isn't enough, give him virgins!" The guy is neither terrible nor perfect. That's the bulk of the conversation these days. 

3 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

Was it considered whining when our LB was crap and we were recruiting LBers like we should've? Just wondering. 

Only players can make mistakes. 

Archived