Gus' first and most important job

NorthGATiger

3 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

Was it considered whining when our LB was crap and we were recruiting LBers like we should've? Just wondering. 

I assume you mean "weren't recruiting linebackers like we should've". No, that was legitimate. See the improved on-field results once we did start signing enough quality linebackers.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I assume you mean "weren't recruiting linebackers like we should've". No, that was legitimate. See the improved on-field results once we did start signing enough quality linebackers.

So it's legitimate when you're the one making the criticism. 

I think we probably all think that deep down. :)

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

So it's legitimate when you're the one making the criticism. 

I think we probably all think that deep down. :)

The proof of the puddin'; is in the eatin'.

On 12/3/2017 at 6:10 PM, NorthGATiger said:

Get Holland, Carlton Davis, and any other eligible players to come back for another year.  This is very important.  No inside info but I see Davis and Holland leaving.

I'd say it's playing more than one person at several positions to get players ready if something like this or injuries hit the team. Say like a RB in the SECCG. 

2 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I'd say it's playing more than one person at several positions to get players ready if something like this or injuries hit the team. Say like a RB in the SECCG. 

Maybe let your backup QB throw more than a handful of passes all year...especially when you're up 4 or 5 touchdowns.  I guess that would be #2.

2 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Maybe let your backup QB throw more than a handful of passes all year...especially when you're up 4 or 5 touchdowns.  I guess that would be #2.

I'd say that would fall on #1 also. 

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

So critique on things like quality RB depth, or a development of a semi effective passing game isn't? Gus is a good coach. Gus has a great scheme.....When it's hitting on all cylinders and has every little piece he needs and there's no wrenches thrown his way. I won't deny  there are some whiners, but most posts I see voice legitimate concerns , opinions or ideas on what could be tweaked to diversify this offense.  We all know Gus gets tunnel vision sometimes and beats the hell out of a dead horse. What's so different between your personal concern with LBers versus others concern over not having a backup RB ready to go by the end of the season? Or....the lack of use of a TE in the passing game to exploit voids left by defenses. You know why the LBers play and your proof of the pudding has improved? Because we not only have depth, but they ALL get playing time and experience. Same with the DL. The issues need to be addressed on the other side of the ball as well. 

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Most of us live somewhere between "gus sux dur hur" and "$7 million isn't enough, give him virgins!" The guy is neither terrible nor perfect. That's the bulk of the conversation these days. 

"gus sux dur hur" and "$7 million"....Uh yea, that is the range of emotions Ive had over the past 4 years. About sums it up!

Foresight isn't Gus' strong suit but maybe he learns from this. This isn't the 1st time a team of his, that is entirely constructed of top 10 recruiting classes, fell apart at the end due to no option behind the starter.

Baylor was playing like a 16th string QB the year Stidham got hurt and still managed points and yards. Why does our offense look similar to our 2012 offense when ONE injury hits? And not to mention it wasn't even a QB injury...

We have a QB good enough to beat teams when they take away our run but for some unknown reason our passing attack flatly doesn't allow for a QB to take over the game through the air. It's a damn shame.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are my concerns/hopes for next year (in no particular order):

OL - We’re ok with Horton, Harrell, and PTW.  Who’s gonna play C?  KK should be ready to go, but I haven’t heard any rave reviews of him. Brahms or a GT are our only other hopes.....

DB depth - I feel better about this now than I did a few months ago, but we’re still gonna be thin. We’re gonna need some TF to be ready to go right away.  

Special Teams - Anders and Siposs will both be TF and we’ll have a new long snapper. Those are all concerns. PLUS we couldn’t defend a return of any kind to save our lives this year!  Outside of Carlson, our ST was a disaster in 2017.  This area must improve in 2018 without DC and IP.  I expect some coaching responsibilities to be shuffled in the off season.

A Plan B on Offense - For the last 2 years our O looked great......when plan A worked really well.  We have to be able to counter when an elite D adjusts to our plan A (bama, uga, and lsu are all very capable).  I hope/expect to see more complexity in the passing game and more trust of Chip and JS to make this happen. I believe both are plenty capable to make it happen.  

Our RB situation (if KJ goes pro) - I don’t think we have done enough to get KMart, MM, and DB ready for that role for 2018. They all have their gifts, but none are as complete of a RB as KJ. Asa and Worm are also coming in ready to play. Is JWhitlow gonna be our premier ball carrier?

Looking forward to the Peach Bowl kicking off a fantastic 2018 season!!!

2 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Here are my concerns/hopes for next year (in no particular order):

OL - We’re ok with Horton, Harrell, and PTW.  Who’s gonna play C?  KK should be ready to go, but I haven’t heard any rave reviews of him. Brahms or a GT are our only other hopes.....

DB depth - I feel better about this now than I did a few months ago, but we’re still gonna be thin. We’re gonna need some TF to be ready to go right away.  

Special Teams - Anders and Siposs will both be TF and we’ll have a new long snapper. Those are all concerns. PLUS we couldn’t defend a return of any kind to save our lives this year!  Outside of Carlson, our ST was a disaster in 2017.  This area must improve in 2018 without DC and IP.  I expect some coaching responsibilities to be shuffled in the off season.

A Plan B on Offense - For the last 2 years our O looked great......when plan A worked really well.  We have to be able to counter when an elite D adjusts to our plan A (bama, uga, and lsu are all very capable).  I hope/expect to see more complexity in the passing game and more trust of Chip and JS to make this happen. I believe both are plenty capable to make it happen.  

Our RB situation (if KJ goes pro) - I don’t think we have done enough to get KMart, MM, and DB ready for that role for 2018. They all have their gifts, but none are as complete of a RB as KJ. Asa and Worm are also coming in ready to play. Is JWhitlow gonna be our premier ball carrier?

Looking forward to the Peach Bowl kicking off a fantastic 2018 season!!!

Agree on all fronts. Don't think people are making enough of the kicker situation. Folks seem to think that as long as a guy's name is Carlson, we're good. I hope they're right.

As for kick coverage, I fully trust Gus to make great use of this 10th assistant hire and get us to an acceptable place by Labor Day. 

ST can easily be handled by having a real ST coach, not tacking it into some other coaches responsibilities. A Defensive coach with record of ST is all we need to sure it up. 

As far as the O, it is either Gus still meddling with our lack of backup development or proof that chip is out of his league. I didn like the chip hire initially, but he did have some decent passing concepts to go along with his true RPO,  which we haven't seen yet. Gus may be a great motivater and recruiter, but he is still a HC that needs training wheels. The jury is still out on whether he is a dabo or a bust. 

I think that Holland has indicated he wants to come back for his senior season.  This would be great, but Holland could make a lot of $$$$$$ if he goes out early. If he comes back, then I hope he is a terror on the field that makes life miserable for any SEC QB who tries to get around him.

We will be fine for 2018 no matter what happens. I think we will be a force to recon with on both sides of the ball.

Archived