Peach Bowl could be historic

Gowebb11

We've played 4 games against Playoff teams and now face another undefeated UCF team. We have the chance to beat 3 previously undefeated teams in one season. (All unbeaten entering November) Not sure if that's ever been done. WDE???!!!

Pretty cool, I hadn't thought of it that way! 

Another bit of perspective: We're paying a clearly improving Gus to coach only a little more than ATM and Arky are paying Sumlin and Bielema NOT to coach! 

You really think we can pull off what such powerhouses as Memphis, SMU and Austin Peay weren't able to accomplish? That's a tall order. 

Sorry, I'm just not excited. I'll watch though. By then, I'll be jonesing for more Auburn football.

I hope our team will be up for this game. I'm sure this will be UCF's Super Bowl.

BTW, here's their undefeated schedule.

2017 UCF KNIGHTS SCHEDULE
DATE OPPONENT RESULT/TIME RECORD/TICKETS
Thu, Aug 31 1-0 (0-0)
Fri, Sept 8
  • Canceled
1,332 available from $5
Sat, Sept 16
  • Canceled
2,182 available from $14
Sat, Sept 23 2-0 (0-0)
Sat, Sept 30
  • Canceled
2,501 available from $5
Sat, Sept 30 3-0 (1-0)
Sat, Oct 7 4-0 (2-0)
Sat, Oct 14 5-0 (3-0)
Sat, Oct 21 6-0 (4-0)
Sat, Oct 28 7-0 (4-0)
Sat, Nov 4 8-0 (5-0)
Sat, Nov 11 9-0 (6-0)
Sat, Nov 18 10-0 (7-0)
Fri, Nov 24 11-0 (8-0)
Sat, Dec 2 12-0 (8-0)
CHICK-FIL-A PEACH BOWL
Mon, Jan 1 12:30 PM ET ESPN watchespn_310x108_2.png?w=55&h=19&transp 8,333 available from $80

UCF will be excited about this game. Last game for Frost ( I think he is coaching it, least he wanted to), shot at a big name power 5 conference team, shot at an SEC team.

Yep, Frost is sticking around to coach the bowl game. Nebraska's season is over, so I doubt they fought that too terribly hard. Honestly, Frost pulling an upset against Auburn would probably do more for Nebraska recruiting than if he went straight to Lincoln and started calling recruits.

Probably the least interesting bowl game for me since the Wisconsin outback bowl (probably the least interesting power 5 Auburn game ever for me). But in the efforts to be optimistic, we could blow the hell out of UCF and maybe steal whatever little recruits UCF has that didnt decommit in the middle of that Memphis game Saturday. 

The biggest pro for me is looking forward to seeing Malik Willis be used like an actual quarterback for the first time. I am truly hopeful that the man will get plays so I can remember what a dual threat looks like 

8 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Probably the least interesting bowl game for me since the Wisconsin outback bowl (probably the least interesting power 5 Auburn game ever for me). But in the efforts to be optimistic, we could blow the hell out of UCF and maybe steal whatever little recruits UCF has that didnt decommit in the middle of that Memphis game Saturday. 

The biggest pro for me is looking forward to seeing Malik Willis be used like an actual quarterback for the first time. I am truly hopeful that the man will get plays so I can remember what a dual threat looks like 

where did stidham hurt you and why do you always want to see malik willis play?! lol

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

where did stidham hurt you and why do you always want to see malik willis play?! lol

I think Stidham's a great player and QB. I think that this system cant use his best abilities, and I believe there's moments where we're getting pounded by the rush and we look hapless for quarters on end. In those moments, where the pressure's in Stidham's face, that's basically game. Stidham can avoid occasional pressure, that's no doubt. Its just when we get to those moments where he's facing it every play that its just over with. Instead of rolling with the status quo, hit a reset button and use a QB who at the very least forces the other coordinator to reconsider what he's doing, and if it fails, it cant fail anymore than us running up the middle twice and throwing a sideline pass 20 yards off target on 3rd and 11. 

This isnt an ideal situation for most programs granted. Most teams have a hope of a chance of coming back once their offense starts faltering because most teams will adjust to the defense's looks. I only fruitlessly request for Willis to be given plays or drives because usually we face the same issues against the same level of defenses and the adjustments are seemingly simple and Willis has the general capability to do what needs to be done. 

1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I think Stidham's a great player and QB. I think that this system cant use his best abilities, and I believe there's moments where we're getting pounded by the rush and we look hapless for quarters on end. In those moments, where the pressure's in Stidham's face, that's basically game. Stidham can avoid occasional pressure, that's no doubt. Its just when we get to those moments where he's facing it every play that its just over with. Instead of rolling with the status quo, hit a reset button and use a QB who at the very least forces the other coordinator to reconsider what he's doing, and if it fails, it cant fail anymore than us running up the middle twice and throwing a sideline pass 20 yards off target on 3rd and 11. 

This isnt an ideal situation for most programs granted. Most teams have a hope of a chance of coming back once their offense starts faltering because most teams will adjust to the defense's looks. I only fruitlessly request for Willis to be given plays or drives because usually we face the same issues against the same level of defenses and the adjustments are seemingly simple and Willis has the general capability to do what needs to be done. 

I blame gus for not being able to properly utilize the best pure passer Auburn has ever had. Gus inability to EVER be able to win a game with the pass against sec competition is disturbing. It gives me pause. It has been 5 seasons and he still cannot figure it out. The coaches never give stidham quick easy passes that are not the same screen play we run way too much. Using the middle of the field is a foreign concept to Gus. No matter who the QB is. Stidham, Nick, Malik hell even Cam gus has problems converting on third and long when we are in obvious passing situations. I think we are on the same page.

9 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I blame gus for not being able to properly utilize the best pure passer Auburn has ever had. Gus inability to EVER be able to win a game with the pass against sec competition is disturbing. It gives me pause. It has been 5 seasons and he still cannot figure it out. The coaches never give stidham quick easy passes that are not the same screen play we run way too much. Using the middle of the field is a foreign concept to Gus. No matter who the QB is. Stidham, Nick, Malik hell even Cam gus has problems converting on third and long when we are in obvious passing situations. I think we are on the same page.

Yeah were on the exact same page on who Gus is. But you cant fix Gus. Every defensive coordinator knows what they're getting with Gus and have known for four years now. Supreme talent and tempo are the only thing that's saved Gus, and he doesn't even know how to consistently use those. 

My rationale is instead of expecting Gus to change and become slightly less mediocre, I just want game breaking speed that can hide Auburn's deficiencies. Passing is really nice if you got a team where passing matters, unfortunately, it doesnt matter at all if you're Sean White levels of arm strength or Marshall/Stidham here. You can be fetal position Jeremy (a QB I love BTW) levels of accuracy or Barrret Trotter in one of those first few games that we won in 2011. Nothing matters throwing the ball here, the best passing performance we ever had came in a 11 point loss to Alabama in 2014, but our running game was pretty stagnant that game. You gotta pound the ball (as well as have the elite defense), and you gotta have a QB who can pound the ball with 2 edge rushers in the back field by the time he snaps the ball. That's just not Stidham. I hope the offensive staff proves me wrong, but its been 6 years and we havent changed anything. I rather the sink ship with a QB that can hide Gus's weaknesses than one that's bound to lead an epic offensive collapse if the opposing DC realizes "hey I just need to stop the tempo and blitz this statue every play" 

Ok. Help me understand this guys... going into Saturday, we were the #2 ranked team in the nation.

We didn't win the SEC, but we finished as the SEC runner-up. 

Penn State vs Washington in the Fiesta

Miami vs Wisconsin in the Orange

Notre Dame vs LSU in the Citrus.

We get the Peach. How exactly does this work out? 

Also the Fiesta and Orange aren't even New Year Day bowl games? I just don't understand what's going on...

4 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Ok. Help me understand this guys... going into Saturday, we were the #2 ranked team in the nation.

Also the Fiesta and Orange aren't even New Year Day bowl games? I just don't understand what's going on...

I would much rather have played any of those teams (except for Wisconsin and LSU, obviously). I don't get it either.

On 12/4/2017 at 12:27 AM, Auburn2Eugene said:

The Citrus Bowl isn't as good as the New Year's Six games (even though Notre Dame sounds like a more interesting matchup). The Orange has an ACC tie-in, which is why Miami landed there. Since the Rose and Sugar Bowls (which have Big Ten and SEC tie-ins) are the playoff semifinals this year, and since the SEC and Big Ten sent a combined 6 teams to the NY6 Bowls, there was more re-shuffling than normal IMO. UCF was guaranteed a spot in a NY6 game since they finished as the highest ranked Group of 5 teams. I would have rather seen them play Miami in the Orange Bowl, or match up UCF and Wisconsin since those are the two least interesting teams in the NY6 games.

UCF losing Frost (or being his last game) will be a distraction for them. Playing UCF runs the risks of AU not being up for the game. Hopefully we take care of business early and develop some depth.

I don’t think I see it the same as many people. They play a ranked undefeated team in a desirable bowl. One of the big six. At this point in the season I am more concerned about getting a W and preparing for next season. Chance to look good on national TV and hopefully play a lot of guys in a bowl game! The experience could be invaluable for the younger guys if AU handle them like they should. 

12 minutes ago, auskull said:

UCF losing Frost (or being his last game) will be a distraction for them. Playing UCF runs the risks of AU not being up for the game. Hopefully we take care of business early and develop some depth.

and a big motivator for them to win the game

Auburn will have their hands full as UCF will sling the ball all over the yard.

Pass interference calls will be big.

On 12/4/2017 at 1:27 AM, Auburn2Eugene said:

we finished as the SEC runner-up. 

Sure we did. 

So were the co-champs selected to the CFP?  We are a 3 loss team in what was considered to be a terrible year for the SEC.  How many teams in the league have, or will hire new coaches this month?

Image result for second place is first loser

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 12:06 AM, GwillMac6 said:

:clap: Somebody finally sees it! We could have easily made UGA pay for blitzing their linebackers in the second half Sat., but Gus has no in-game adjustment ability. Never going to get over the hump til Gus installs a short to intermediate passing game and please get us a TE in here who can catch and be a weapon.

First of all when was the last time you saw a 3 loss team at #7 and playing in a NY 6 bowl ? UCF earned the right to play in the NY6 bowl by being the highest non P5 ranked team. Everyone complaining should respect the fact that the choice for us to play in Atlanta was in respect for surviving a rough schedule. While some might not like the match up, the bowl itself is prestigious as being one of the top 6 bowls in the country. So let the players enjoy ( with our support) what they have earned with their hardwork. I understand how close we were to something better but that moment is passed. No use continuing to morn the past. Instead let’s begin to enjoy the future. War Eagle . Merry Christmas, happy holidays and may everyone have a great New Year. I’m looking forward to bringing it in at WDW, with the love of my life, my wife. ?

4 hours ago, wildlife alumni said:

I don’t think I see it the same as many people. They play a ranked undefeated team in a desirable bowl. One of the big six. At this point in the season I am more concerned about getting a W and preparing for next season. Chance to look good on national TV and hopefully play a lot of guys in a bowl game! The experience could be invaluable for the younger guys if AU handle them like they should. 

Hopefully Gus will come through on the "play a lot of guys" thing.

Forget the name...we're playing a highly ranked undefeated team in a big bowl.  If you're a player, how do you not get up for that? And on the flip side, losing it means an unimaginable embarrassment for the team and the conference.  I'd be raring to go.  This is a chance to take out our frustrations and put that team in their place...if we play to our capabilities.  If not, we'll lose.

On 12/4/2017 at 1:02 AM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

This.  It also gives Stidham a series to calm down/reset if he's getting planted.  Who knows if it would be successful, but forcing a defense to at least consider what might happen with a new QB gives them cause to pause with their defensive strategy.  At least it's a change of pace.

Dang, this coaching thing is easy!   

Archived