Hypothetically Speaking....what IF?

thewhiz7

The LSU loss was a very tough loss on the Auburn fan base. I know it is the game I still think about. It is tough to put behind me. However, as the season went on, it turned out that losing that game did not matter. Or did it?

Had we won that game it got me to thinking....would we have made the 4th spot in the playoffs over Bama?

1. We would have won head to head against Bama

2. Only 1 loss by 8 in the regular season on the road to the #1 team and defending national champions.

3. Much stronger schedule than Bama. Would have beaten the same teams they played but won against #1 UGA.

4. No bad losses like OSU.  Both of their losses were blowouts.

Just something to think about. What are your thoughts/opinions?

I think the only difference is the amount of suck that Alabama has another second chance. They would have passed a two loss Auburn team because Alabama's only loss still was to Auburn. LSU is tough but I don't think they're carrying THAT much sway, especially when the other team in question also beat them.

I think Auburn would likely be in the 4th spot in that situation (maybe with a closer loss in the SECCG). Frustrating to say the least. As disappointed as I was after the Clemson game, I was even more so after the LSU loss. Guess it's one of those "what if" years.

7 minutes ago, jordanharehaint said:

I think we would still have been left out because the last thing they saw of us was getting whipped by the dawgies.

Agree. We got a thorough beating. 

A better hypothetical would be.......what if we won both the clemson and LSU games and the season played out the rest of the way with everyone else like it did.  Clemson would be a two loss ACC champ, and georgia would be 12-1, auburn would be 12-1, alabama would be 11-1..  Who makes the playoff then?  That would have been a nightmare for the committee.

11 minutes ago, BhamCAT said:

A better hypothetical would be.......what if we won both the clemson and LSU games and the season played out the rest of the way with everyone else like it did.  Clemson would be a two loss ACC champ, and georgia would be 12-1, auburn would be 12-1, alabama would be 11-1..  Who makes the playoff then?  That would have been a nightmare for the committee.

yeah thats an actual situation where we can make the playoffs. There's just no situation where the CFP really was giving a 2 loss team real margin for error without an almost flawless resume, such as we had for the longest, and such as OSU or USC never had 

Archived