Draft Eligible Players/Depth Chart 2018

tbone1430

1 hour ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I figured this was the case with KP. I don't think returning will make a huge difference for him. Add in that he has a wife and child I'd go the Peyton Barber route as well. 

I agree that he will go but I also think it's a shortsighted mistake. If he could have gone last year with the year he had I think he is a 3rd rounder. If healthy next year he could be that again. I know KJ loves Auburn and I really wish he would stay but his stock has to be really high right now. The one thing that might make him think twice is the RB talent coming out this year. There are probably 5 or 6 guys in just the SEC that he will be competing with.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, bg5 said:

I agree that he will go but I also think it's a shortsighted mistake. If he could have gone last year with the year he had I think he is a 3rd rounder. If healthy next year he could be that again. I know KJ loves Auburn and I really wish he would stay but his stock has to be really high right now. The one thing that might make him think twice is the RB talent coming out this year. There are probably 5 or 6 guys in just the SEC that he will be competing with.

I guess i see it differently. I would've been surprised if KP ended up being drafted in the 3rd round. He had a very good season but even with his great season teams knew he wasn't going to be a potential feature RB in the NFL. I just think with some other things going as well...i'd be surprised if KP came back. After his best season, he was rated around the 8-10th best RB in the group by Mel Kiper (pending if a few of the underclassmen decided to declare). The 6th or 7th RB drafted normally goes the 5th or 6th round. 

19 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I guess i see it differently. I would've been surprised if KP ended up being drafted in the 3rd round. He had a very good season but even with his great season teams knew he wasn't going to be a potential feature RB in the NFL. I just think with some other things going as well...i'd be surprised if KP came back. After his best season, he was rated around the 8-10th best RB in the group by Mel Kiper (pending if a few of the underclassmen decided to declare). The 6th or 7th RB drafted normally goes the 5th or 6th round. 

Been a big shift in the value of running backs in the NFL in recent years as you note.  KP might be built to take the punishment but there are dozens out there waiting on a phone call if a starter goes down which is pretty frequently. Top NFL RBs only average about 4 YPC these days....and it's a passing league. 

JMO but if KP gets with the right team and proves he can block, he might be able to at least stay on the 53 man roster and make some decent money.   One more year at AU might not do much for his NFL value. 

I wonder if anyone will come back because of "unfinished business".  As much as I hate how the season ended and a few things that happened early on, the talent level we have combined with the losses we have is a perfect storm to create a "what could have been" story line that might convince someone who's not sold on leaving to give it another year. It also might depend on what their personal goals are. With a healthy year, Kerryon could make a real Heisman run. With how young this team is, we also have the possibility of making championship runs the next 2 years, if people hang around. 

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

One more year at AU might not do much for his NFL value. 

Unless in that one more year, he is able to do what he did in 2016 with the support of a much better overall offense, and earn himself a nice size signing bonus/contract, vs "we'll give you a shot" money. Barber was never going to get drafted high.  Both Kerryon and Kam have what it takes to get drafted high (relative to other backs).

44 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Been a big shift in the value of running backs in the NFL in recent years as you note.  KP might be built to take the punishment but there are dozens out there waiting on a phone call if a starter goes down which is pretty frequently. Top NFL RBs only average about 4 YPC these days....and it's a passing league. 

JMO but if KP gets with the right team and proves he can block, he might be able to at least stay on the 53 man roster and make some decent money.   One more year at AU might not do much for his NFL value. 

This information was just in 2016. I don't doubt he's not valuable. He's just not a feature RB to go in the 1-3 round at this point. Once you get into rounds 4 or 5 not much difference in being a FA like Meta stated. He can certainly help any team in the NFL for sure

15 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

This information was just in 2016. I don't doubt he's not valuable. He's just not a feature RB to go in the 1-3 round at this point. Once you get into rounds 4 or 5 not much difference in being a FA like Meta stated. He can certainly help any team in the NFL for sure

JMO but the advantage of being a free agent is being able to go to a team with the best chance of making the squad.   Sometimes the draft works against a guy by sending him to a place with poor prospects to crack the line-up. 

Just now, AU64 said:

JMO but the advantage of being a free agent is being able to go to a team with the best chance of making the squad.   Sometimes the draft works against a guy by sending him to a place with poor prospects to crack the line-up. 

Agree. That's why i think he should leave even though he's likely to be a FA and pick where he'd have the best opportunity to make a team and contribute like Peyton did. 

27 minutes ago, AU64 said:

True, but if you get drafted, you get paid $$$ to sit on your butt.

38 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

True, but if you get drafted, you get paid $$$ to sit on your butt.

At certain level...but for most players the amount of guarantee drops pretty sharply in lower rounds ....they can cut lower rounds guy pretty quickly if it's "not working out"...but there is usually some bonus money at least.   

38 minutes ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

They didn’t utilize the HUNH at all in that game from what I could tell. 

Bro, you are right, my bad., I was just thinking how easy it would have been to get another RB in the game.

1 hour ago, Aucater said:

Bro, you are right, my bad., I was just thinking how easy it would have been to get another RB in the game.

Your right on, I was basically agreeing with you, the hurry up couldn’t be used as an excuse not to get other rb’s in the game since it basically nonexistent 

9 hours ago, metafour said:

There are rumors circulating that he held himself out because he doesn't want to risk another injury...ie: he's planning on going Pro.

He has a family, and making NFL rookie minimum regardless of whether he is drafted or not (a few hundred K a year) is more than he's making at Auburn next season.  Peyton Barber didn't get drafted and he's making money in the NFL, in fact he just had a huge game yesterday.

Unless he is going to get drafted in the first ~2 or 3 rounds, there isn't much difference between going 4th-7th round and signing as an undrafted free agent.  He isn't a prototypical back in the first place, so its unlikely that a team is going to use a 1st round pick on him even if he comes back next year.  His NFL role is likely as a short-yardage and FB hybrid, and he's already shown he can do that.

Ok here I go...

Am I the only one who is a little upset with KP?! Assuming the discipline issues are true and now that he held himself out, what kind of teammate is that? 

I have loved that he was married, a student, and a father, while being a star on the field. However, I am disappointed that he appears to have a “me first” attitude. I just don’t see how that doesn’t bother the team...and yes, I get that his actions (not the discipline stuff) can be viewed as putting the family first. 

It was so good to see him back for Arky, but danggggggg. 

#bracesforimpact

13 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Punter and Special Teams coach!

Something tells me our special teams coach is not a hot commodity to be hired away any time soon.

Then give them the boot! Fountain is being underappreciated at Georgia right now. Bring him back.

KP will be back if he wants to get a higher pick or picked at all. Right now, he would be lucky to get a free agent ticket. He needs a good solid season like he had in 2016 for his stock to return to a point where he can get a million or 2 in a signing bonus. It would be foolish for him to not return. His best job as a husband and father is to improve his stock so he can provide for his family with the NFL money he can earn if he comes back.

It makes 0 sense for him to go out this year.  I know the J. Holland is gone as well as Carlton Davis. As for Kerryon ,  he has nothing to prove and can go and get some decent $$$$$ as an NFL 2nd or 3rd round pick. He could be a late 1st round pick of which would be awesome. I am not sure if there is a glut of RBs coming out this year or not. This could factor in if he wants to come out this year or finish his senior year at Auburn. I would love for him to stay, but want the best for him in that he gave more of himself than most players in the SEC. You have to love and respect this young man no doubt! 

Isn’t AU able to give basically insurance to players in case a injury harms a players chances of going pro? I am guessing they are evaluated at the end of the year by their draft grade? Would someone mind telling me if I am right or not and if this will have an impact on some of these guys decisions. Seems like I remember hearing about, this unless I was dreaming.

In the past few years, more draft eligible players are doing a lot of consultation with their college coaches as well as paying attention to the NFL draft advisory board. On the defensive side of the ball Steele, T Will, Garner, and Brown all have plenty of experience to provide sound advice. We can speculate all we want, but most of the guys in this thread will likely not make up their mind until their draft grade comes back.  

Regarding KJ, to me he best compares to Christian McCaffrey in terms of his size and versatility. CM went as the 8th overall pick last year, although he didn’t have the versatility issues KJ has had. There is less of a premium on pure RBs but an increasing premium on hybrid players. Also of note, CM came out after his junior year. After 3 years in college, McCaffrey had over 150 more rushing attempts than KJ, twice as many pass receptions, and also returned kicks and punts. 

55 minutes ago, weathergeakal said:

Hope both stay but I fell like after Tre Mason left when I thought he was staying and Payton Barber leaving That one shocked me.

You thought Tre Mason was staying after being a Heisman finalist?

I'll give you Barber, but these days I'm not ever shocked when they leave. There are a *lot* of guys in the NFL who had fairly forgettable college careers. 

On 12/4/2017 at 8:01 AM, AU-24 said:

Something tells me our special teams coach is not a hot commodity to be hired away any time soon.

Actually, on paper, Horton is our special teams coach, and he gets offers annually. Off paper, we don't have a special teams coach, because Horton is really our running backs coach.

14 hours ago, Zeek said:

Then give them the boot! Fountain is being underappreciated at Georgia right now. Bring him back.

See above... there's no one to boot.

Archived