Draft Eligible Players/Depth Chart 2018

tbone1430

14 hours ago, AidiAU said:

Am I the only one who is a little upset with KP?! Assuming the discipline issues are true and now that he held himself out, what kind of teammate is that? 

Probably best not to assume an off-hand rumor is true. We've had several medical professionals state that a scapula injury could easily take long enough to heal that he wouldn't be back until the bowl game. If he doesn't play in the bowl game, then you can start speculating, but until then, how about we give someone who's been a great player at Auburn the benefit of the doubt.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

You thought Tre Mason was staying after being a Heisman finalist?

I'll give you Barber, but these days I'm not ever shocked when they leave. There are a *lot* of guys in the NFL who had fairly forgettable college careers. 

In Barber's defense, he only went pro because his mom was homeless. He did it for financial reasons.

28 minutes ago, WDE0007 said:

In Barber's defense, he only went pro because his mom was homeless. He did it for financial reasons.

Oh, totally agree. I should amend my prior comment to say that I don't question kids for doing what they think is best for them and, in Barber's case, it was unquestionably the right decision. Couldn't be happier for the guy. 

Also, my post made it look like I was calling his college career forgettable.  Unintentional mistake. 

A couple of guys whose names haven't come up as big losses are Ike Powell and Tyler Stoval. Their positions do not get headlines unless they screw up so it is great that we do not hear their names more often. Carlson is a great kicker but without the consistency these two brought to snaps and holds he could not have done what he did. One extra points alone they have made 195 straight good snaps and had 195 straight good holds or Carlson doesn't have 195 straight PAT's.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

Actually, on paper, Horton is our special teams coach, and he gets offers annually. Off paper, we don't have a special teams coach, because Horton is really our running backs coach.

See above... there's no one to boot.

It appears Larry Porter is no longer listed as special-teams coordinator. You are correct, they now list Horton as Special Teams Coord. 

Very interesting.

So Horton has been coaching special teams all year?

2 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

It appears Larry Porter is no longer listed as special-teams coordinator. You are correct, they now list Horton as Special Teams Coord. 

Very interesting.

Yea... as I recall, they decided to make Porter tight ends, which apparently isn't his forte based on the results, and H-backs. Actually Porter and Horton are both running backs coaches, and I'm pretty sure we hired Porter primarily as a recruiter. I don't know if we were rolling the dice on the 10th assistant or what, but I do recall thinking the whole thing was odd. 

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Yea... as I recall, they decided to make Porter tight ends, which apparently isn't his forte based on the results, and H-backs. Actually Porter and Horton are both running backs coaches, and I'm pretty sure we hired Porter primarily as a recruiter. I don't know if we were rolling the dice on the 10th assistant or what, but I do recall thinking the whole thing was odd. 

Well, my apologies to coach Porter. Special teams have been a mess all year, and I’ve been giving him the blame. My bad.

51 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Well, my apologies to coach Porter. Special teams have been a mess all year, and I’ve been giving him the blame. My bad.

You can blame Gus for "special teams by committee". One of his worst ideas that he will hopefully be rectifying right after our bowl game.

29 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

You can blame Gus for "special teams by committee". One of his worst ideas that he will hopefully be rectifying right after our bowl game.

Agreed. I'm counting on this issue being a blip and I think we're going to be benefiting significantly from the 10th assistant. 

17 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Yes, that appears to be the case, and unfortunately, it was not a good leadership decision!

Obviously we don’t know all the details and we’ll have to fully see how Porter does on the recruiting trail, but may be another lesson learned.

2 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Yes, that appears to be the case, and unfortunately, it was not a good leadership decision!

Obviously we don’t know all the details and we’ll have to fully see how Porter does on the recruiting trail, but may be another lesson learned.

I, honestly, think he was rolling the dice on the 10th assistant thing and didn't want to pass up on Porter's reputation on the trail.

Just now, ClaytonAU said:

Which clearly isn't a thing anymore

And why do you say that? We haven't seen the results of a full cycle with him on staff. We also don't know who he's been a part of recruiting, since he is our recruiting coordinator.

32 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I, honestly, think he was rolling the dice on the 10th assistant thing and didn't want to pass up on Porter's reputation on the trail.

Cannot hire a tenth assistant until Jan 2018. Porter took Fountains place.

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

And why do you say that? We haven't seen the results of a full cycle with him on staff. We also don't know who he's been a part of recruiting, since he is our recruiting coordinator.

I guess we'll have to wait until after the cycle to say for sure. Next year will be telling if he stays on staff and delivers, as 2019 is loaded.

2 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

Cannot hire a tenth assistant until Jan 2018. Porter took Fountains place.

I know... what I'm saying is that I think Gus was rolling the dice that the 10th assistant would become a thing and grabbed Porter as a recruiter in hopes that he could snag a true special teams guy as that 10th.

Just now, lionheartkc said:

I know... what I'm saying is that I think Gus was rolling the dice that the 10th assistant would become a thing and grabbed Porter as a recruiter in hopes that he could snag a true special teams guy as that 10th.

I apologize. I misunderstood. We definitely need a true special teams coach. I see Horton possibly moving on and Porter becoming the RB coach

1 minute ago, aufan57 said:

I apologize. I misunderstood. We definitely need a true special teams coach. I see Horton possibly moving on and Porter becoming the RB coach

I agree.  I think with the Porter hire, Gus was trying to find a Dameyune Craig that he wouldn't butt heads with. He may also have been back-filling because Horton gets interviewed pretty much every year.

Article from SEC Country:

A look at 2018 NFL Draft stock of Auburn football’s eligible underclassmen

Justin Ferguson

SEC Country wants to tackle the best questions from Auburn football fans. Look for our Auburn Question of the Day every Monday through Thursday. Go here to see all of our previous answers.

Even though the regular season is done, questions of the day are still rolling at @SECCountryAU. Tweet me your questions about all things Auburn, and I'll answer some throughout the week.

Who is expected to go pro after the season?

Even though the regular season is done, questions of the day are still rolling at @SECCountryAU. Tweet me your questions about all things Auburn, and I'll answer some throughout the week.

Do you expect KJ & Pettway back next season?

What's the likelihood of Carlton davis coming back??

AUBURN, Ala. — Although it’s almost five months away, the 2018 NFL Draft crept into the minds of many Auburn football fans during the Tigers’ run to the SEC Championship Game.

Several of Auburn’s best players — sophomore quarterback Jarrett Stidham, junior running back Kerryon Johnson, defensive end Jeff Holland and cornerback Carlton Davis — are eligible to enter the draft.

While formal decisions won’t be finalized until after bowl season, some prospects across college football already have stated their intentions, such as Florida State defensive back Derwin James. He said he will skip the Independence Bowl, which will pit Florida State against Southern Miss, to prepare for the draft.

MORE: Even with title-game loss, Auburn players proud of ‘incredible’ 2017 run

Each case is unique, and there are a lot of factors at play. However, in terms of a prediction, I personally don’t see Auburn losing multiple players early to the draft this season.

Auburn football-Auburn Tigers-Auburn-Iron Bowl-Jarrett Stidham
Auburn quarterback Jarrett Stidham had a strong first season on the Plains. (Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)

QB Jarrett Stidham

Jarrett Stidham was one of the most accurate and efficient quarterbacks in college football during Auburn’s five-game winning streak and march to the SEC West title. He displayed an excellent touch on deep throws, made great decisions in the pocket and showcased a mobility he didn’t use much earlier in the season.

It’s easy to see why some NFL teams and draft experts are already high on the former 5-star quarterback. Right now, Stidham is rated as the No. 10 quarterback in the potential 2018 draft class by Bleacher Report’s Matt Miller. Walter Football has him at the same spot, while DraftTek has him a spot higher at No. 9 for quarterbacks and No. 95 overall.

However, he still has plenty of room to grow as a passer after just one complete season of college football. Stidham told reporters earlier this season he planned on staying at least two seasons at Auburn.

Another factor in here is the huge class of quarterbacks set to come through the 2018 draft. Josh Rosen, Sam Darnold, Josh Allen, Baker Mayfield, Lamar Jackson and Mason Rudolph are all higher-rated prospects — and not all of them will be first-round selections. Other prospects such as Luke Falk and Drew Lock have much more experience than Stidham.

In Stidham’s case, that 2019 class looks wide open as there’s not a real can’t-miss second-year quarterback right now. A great 2018 season in Auburn’s offense would move him closer to early-round consideration. Expect Stidham to be back on the Plains next season.

Auburn football-Auburn Tigers-Auburn-Georgia-Kerryon Johnson
Auburn running back Kerryon Johnson was named the SEC’s Offensive Player of the Year this week. (Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)

RB Kerryon Johnson

Kerryon Johnson’s rise from projected second-stringer to SEC Offensive Player of the Year grabbed the attention of a lot of people in the draft community. Daniel Jeremiah of NFL.com seemed to be the most impressed when he watched Johnson this fall:

I love me some Kerryon Johnson. So patient and instinctive.

Johnson is coming off a career season, even with injury, and is picking up steam in draft rankings. Walter Football has him as the No. 4 running back in the class. The Le’Veon Bell-like rusher has plenty of reasons to make the jump now and head to the NFL.

Johnson is also in a similar situation to Stidham in a lot of ways. This was his first complete season of college football as a top running back, and it came with two different injuries. He also would join a loaded draft class at running back. Saquon Barkley, Derrius Guice, Bryce Love, Sony Michel, Damien Harris and Nick Chubb are also in the mix here.

Like Stidham, Johnson could benefit from another year as a star player. He has more reason to make the jump than Stidham, but lean toward seeing Johnson return to Auburn for his senior season. Another year like this one could make him a widely regarded first-round talent.

Auburn football-Auburn Tigers-Auburn-Jeff Holland-sec championship game
Auburn defensive end Jeff Holland was one of the nation’s top sack masters in 2017. (Wade Rackley/Auburn Athletics)

DE Jeff Holland

This one is simple. Jeff Holland tore it up off the edge for Auburn in 2018, becoming the ideal replacement for Carl Lawson — who is now in the midst of a great rookie season in Cincinnati — in terms of sacks and tackles for loss.

But Holland isn’t the same type of all-around prospect Lawson is at this stage. He doesn’t appear on any top-10 lists for edge rushers among draft rankings, and there’s still room for him to develop as an edge defender.

Holland told SEC Country’s Benjamin Wolk after the SEC Championship Game that he was going to stay at Auburn in 2018. That’s far from official, but Holland would be the least likely of this group to make the jump.

Auburn football-Auburn Tigers-Auburn-Carlton Davis-Iron Bowl
Auburn cornerback Carlton Davis played a big role in shutting down the Alabama passing attack in an Iron Bowl upset. (Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)

CB Carlton Davis

Carlton Davis is undoubtedly the best of this bunch when it comes to draft stock. Miller has him as the No. 5 cornerback, while Walter Football has him at No. 4 with a first- to third-round grade.

While Davis struggled at times in the SEC Championship Game and had to leave early with an injury, he was one of the most lockdown cornerbacks in the conference. He went entire games without seeing a target, which is the sign of an elite cover player. With his length and speed, it’s easy to see why NFL teams would value him highly.

Davis widely projects as a pick in the top three rounds, and he could soar in testing at the combine and pro day. Still, he could establish himself as the undisputed top cornerback in the 2019 draft with another strong year in an Auburn defense that should return most of its starters.

Davis might benefit from a senior season, but there’s no denying he has what it takes to be a strong draft pick right now at cornerback. If I had to make a prediction here in early December, I would slightly lean toward saying Davis declaring early, which opens the door for Jamel Dean and Javaris Davis to be the starting cornerback pairing in 2018.

Auburn football-Auburn Tigers-Auburn-Kamryn Pettway
Auburn running back Kamryn Pettway was severely limited in 2017 by injuries. (Michael Chang/Getty Images)

RB Kamryn Pettway

By far the most interesting case on the team, Kamryn Pettway will enter a draft decision – much like he did last year — with a lot to consider. He didn’t have but a couple of games as a healthy running back, falling short of his high expectations for the 2017 season. In his place, Johnson became the SEC Offensive Player of the Year.

If both return, it’s hard to see Johnson not being the feature back in 2018. Pettway is a great running back when healthy, but Johnson is a better fit for what Auburn wants to do in this offense, thanks to his versatility and abilities in the passing game. If Pettway returned with him, he would be extremely valuable in terms of depth.

Pettway graduates in December. He is married and has a daughter. If he can leave early for the NFL and land on a team somewhere to support his family — think Peyton Barber, who just had a 100-yard game last weekend for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers — no one in Auburn should blame him.

The injuries he suffered this season, though, heavily impacted his draft stock. And unless Johnson declares and Pettway stays, it’s hard to imagine he’ll get a ton of touches at Auburn next fall. This decision could  go either way, and a lot of it may hinge on whether he’s healthy enough to play in the Peach Bowl.

7 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

Surprised st the Holland quote. Would love for that to be true!

I’m not betting on it, but dang can you imagine how good a D-line that could be next year?

On 12/4/2017 at 4:54 AM, CameronCrazy said:

I guess Chubb was an idiot for coming back this year too, huh?

Chubb came back because of a stack class at RB on top of try8ng to raise his stock to make more. Chubb is also less likely to be injured as he gets less carries. At least try. 

According to that article, the 1st team All-SEC DE isn’t in anyone’s top 10 at the position?!?!  Great for us if true!  And I wasn’t aware he “unofficially” said he was coming back.

Also, getting KJ back for one more year would be great for us, but I’m not convinced that is best for KJ. There are reasons for him to go either way with that decision.  We’ll see how it goes. 

Archived