tbone1430

Draft Eligible Players/Depth Chart 2018

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, AUGunsmith said:

Chubb is also less likely to be injured as he gets less carries. At least try. 

Chubb tore up his knee pretty good while splitting carries. 

I think the increased likelihood of injury via more reps is in perception only. 

Pitch counts are moreso to keep players fresh and for longevity. If a player is still feeling fresh and with 20 carries, the likelihood of injury is no more or no less than any other SEC RB that has to go against the defenses of UGA and Bama and others. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




3 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Chubb tore up his knee pretty good while splitting carries. 

I think the increased likelihood of injury via more reps is in perception only. 

Pitch counts are moreso to keep players fresh and for longevity. If a player is still feeling fresh and with 20 carries, the likelihood of injury is no more or no less than any other SEC RB that has to go against the defenses of UGA and Bama and others. 

There is an increased risk of injury due to, if nothing else (i.e., fatigue), exposure.  There is a certain probability of getting injured on any given play (granted, that probability may vary, depending on the play) and the more plays you're in on increases your chance of getting hurt.  

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

There is an increased risk of injury due to, if nothing else (i.e., fatigue), exposure.  There is a certain probability of getting injured on any given play (granted, that probability may vary, depending on the play) and the more plays you're in on increases your chance of getting hurt.  

I guess it’s true that the opportunity for injury increases with each carry, I just don’t think the workload itself causes the injury.

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/04/06/nfl-running-backs-injury-study-colorado/

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Injuries aren't confined to specific situations, conditions etc. They can happen at any time on any given play. That's where preparing a backup in a GAME benefits a team in the long run. The durability argument can be made from either side, as referenced in our posts in this forum, but what you can't argue is the fact that we never seem to have a capable replacement when an injury occurs at the skill positions. Whether it be from poor evaluation in recruiting, horrible player development or total lack of involvement in gameplanning. It needs to be fixed if Auburn ever wants to get to the next level and stay there. This is big boy football, a team with our tradition, talent and resources shouldn't be forced into trying to salvage a season because a starter goes down. My .02cents.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

SEC Country article breaks down each of our draft eligible underclass men and debates who stays and who go’s and why. Holland is very interesting! 

https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/auburn-football-nfl-draft-kerryon-johnson-jarrett-stidham-carlton-davis

Very interesting, indeed.

I wonder what @metafour's take on why (according to this article) Holland isn't more highly rated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Very interesting, indeed.

I wonder what @metafour's take on why (according to this article) Holland isn't more highly rated.

I hear its his measurables: wingspan, etc... which is holding him back. His measurable don't fit him into a prototypical NFL position. Lawson is doing pretty well in the NFL, so I am not sure why analysts put so much stock into that. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

If we actually got everyone back, its 15-0 ship' next year.

MAybe, but I'm concerned about our O-line and defensive backfield. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/4/2017 at 11:09 PM, Apraser99 said:

KP has more issues than injury. He most likely will not be back.

This is what I have heard as well.  If what I have heard is true then he is an idiot and has messed a great opportunity up for himself and his family.  I don't understand the thinking of some of these guys even at that age.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

This is what I have heard as well.  If what I have heard is true then he is an idiot and has messed a great opportunity up for himself and his family.  I don't understand the thinking of some of these guys even at that age.

What did you hear? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Chubb tore up his knee pretty good while splitting carries. 

I think the increased likelihood of injury via more reps is in perception only. 

Pitch counts are moreso to keep players fresh and for longevity. If a player is still feeling fresh and with 20 carries, the likelihood of injury is no more or no less than any other SEC RB that has to go against the defenses of UGA and Bama and others. 

Except that being fresh and not worn out is a major part of keeping injury free. 

Also, regardless of who you play, or who you are there is a chance of injury on every play. The more plays the more chances. That's just how probability works. Sure luck is involved and some never get hurt and some are constantly hurt, but it is always there

Edited by AUGunsmith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/4/2017 at 9:57 AM, Bro Johnny Mac said:

Concerning overusing KJ, or any back, The HUNH offense ,by design, will give one back the vast majority of carries. Unless you do it per possessions, you can’t sub and keep the HUNH going. We get most of our rushing yards by going fast. Or find a way to play two rb’s on the field at the same time 

We haven't run the HUNH in years

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

This is what I have heard as well.  If what I have heard is true then he is an idiot and has messed a great opportunity up for himself and his family.  I don't understand the thinking of some of these guys even at that age.

 

7 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

What did you hear? 

Pm me some info as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, AUGunsmith said:

The more plays the more chances

This is a better argument than workload. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

This is what I have heard as well.  If what I have heard is true then he is an idiot and has messed a great opportunity up for himself and his family.  I don't understand the thinking of some of these guys even at that age.

You're right. You don't understand. You have no idea what went into any decisions that he has made. You also have no idea what the results of those decisions will be. So you probably shouldn't call him an idiot.

Edit: A lot of people like yourself called Peyton barber an idiot, too.

Edited by McLoofus
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hence the word "IF".  There is a big difference in saying someone "IS" and idiot and that if they did what you are hearing they did then they are.  I would never say he is an idiot for wanting to go pro.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

Hence the word "IF".  There is a big difference in saying someone "IS" and idiot and that if they did what you are hearing they did then they are.  I would never say he is an idiot for wanting to go pro.

I misunderstood, I guess. Apologies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/7/2017 at 10:18 AM, AlaskanFAN said:

SEC Country article breaks down each of our draft eligible underclass men and debates who stays and who go’s and why. Holland is very interesting! 

https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/auburn-football-nfl-draft-kerryon-johnson-jarrett-stidham-carlton-davis

 

Hmm..I didn't know that Holland actually said that he's coming back...I sure hope he doesn't get swayed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/4/2017 at 12:20 AM, AUGunsmith said:

KJ is an idiot if he stays. RBs have short enough lives in pro without HCs  who need training wheels running them into the ground. 

This he is projected to be 2nd or 3rd rb taken.

Edited by wde1968
Spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‚Äé12‚Äé/‚Äé7‚Äé/‚Äé2017 at 7:07 AM, aujeff11 said:

Chubb tore up his knee pretty good while splitting carries. 

I think the increased likelihood of injury via more reps is in perception only. 

Pitch counts are moreso to keep players fresh and for longevity. If a player is still feeling fresh and with 20 carries, the likelihood of injury is no more or no less than any other SEC RB that has to go against the defenses of UGA and Bama and others.

Agree.....thinking back to one of the best RB prospects ever in the SEC in Marcus Lattimore.....major knee injuries twice...about half way through his soph and junior season.....left early for the NFL but never played a down in the NFL....great young man and a player we worked hard to get.   

And my memory is fuzzy but seems that some years back a really great prospect at AU went down to an injury after just a handful of games.....and never was a factor. Wish I could remember who he was......from Mobile area maybe and had a great nickname......someone on here will know. 

JMO but avoiding injury by sitting out downs or games is just a roll of the dice. Don't think I've ever seen any serious statistics that related injuries to number of carries or number of plays in general. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Agree.....thinking back to one of the best RB prospects ever in the SEC in Marcus Lattimore.....major knee injuries twice...about half way through his soph and junior season.....left early for the NFL but never played a down in the NFL....great young man and a player we worked hard to get.   

And my memory is fuzzy but seems that some years back a really great prospect at AU went down to an injury after just a handful of games.....and never was a factor. Wish I could remember who he was......from Mobile area maybe and had a great nickname......someone on here will know. 

JMO but avoiding injury by sitting out downs or games is just a roll of the dice. Don't think I've ever seen any serious statistics that related injuries to number of carries or number of plays in general. 

Lectron Williams is the RB I believe you're thinking of.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, AU64 said:

Agree.....thinking back to one of the best RB prospects ever in the SEC in Marcus Lattimore.....major knee injuries twice...about half way through his soph and junior season.....left early for the NFL but never played a down in the NFL....great young man and a player we worked hard to get.   

And my memory is fuzzy but seems that some years back a really great prospect at AU went down to an injury after just a handful of games.....and never was a factor. Wish I could remember who he was......from Mobile area maybe and had a great nickname......someone on here will know. 

JMO but avoiding injury by sitting out downs or games is just a roll of the dice. Don't think I've ever seen any serious statistics that related injuries to number of carries or number of plays in general. 

I think the outrage over KJ’s reps was well overblown. A lot of teams across the country still use feature backs. We fell in love with backs that had comparable numbers here at Auburn in the past. There are still backs in the pros that get 25 touches a game (Elliot, Gurley, etc ) and you don’t see the coaches trying to pull them within drives just to minimize the risk of injury. Seems to me that the injury prone will remain injury prone and the durable will remain durable and we should just leave it at that. I’ve noticed that most NFL teams that are RB by committee usually have slightly less talented or have backs with more narrow roles than your feature backs as well. The Patriots are RB by committee but Dion Lewis is their closest thing to an all purpose RB. 

If there is this more reps= more injury prone mindset, might as well not pay or play them at all. 

Edited by aujeff11
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now