Rambling thoughts on 2017 and beyond

corchjay

Well another season has come to a close.  Finished the year about like I expected before the season started.  Wish we could have won that last one.  Just wasn’t in the cards for us.  UGA went to a quick pass game and outside run game to counter our defensive line.  We played just sporadic enough to not be able to control the game.  I’m going to close out this year with some of my thoughts...

No Coach is worth $5 million.  None, regardless what they they bring the university.  They aren’t curing cancer or saving lives.  When the highest paid state employee is a college coach then something is wrong with that state.  Gus deserves what he gets in relation to other coach’s pay but that’s a different subject.  

When you can lose your last game and make the playoffs something is wrong with the playoffs.  If the regular season is supposed to mean so much.  When you can go undefeated (UCF) and not sniff the playoffs something is wrong.  Either eliminate the non-P5 teams or let them in.  There has to be a way to define how to get in and it not be someone’s opinion.  Needs to be won on the field not some eye test. 

Auburn has a great base moving forward.  2018 will largely depend on how the OL comes together and performs.  Defense will take a minor step back because the DBs won’t be as strong.  However still should be a solid group.  Offense as stated will depend on the OL. I see a 10-2/8-4 type year depending on injuries and things like that.

That next step that needs to be made needs to be done with recruiting.  To be that elite team to get over the proverbial hump we need to get elite players at the skill positions.  We recruit and develop pretty dang good on the lines but to get to the next level we need an influx of WR, RB, and DB talent.  I’m talking a sprinkling of mid 4 star to 5 star talent.  I’m a huge KJ fan and he’s a great RB for in between the tackles but Bubba has more big play runs then KJ.  We need homerun threats out of the backfield that can also run between the tackles.  We have to “scheme” to much for the big play.  It should come with better talent.  

As always War Eagle.  

2 hours ago, corchjay said:

No Coach is worth $5 million.  None, regardless what they they bring the university.  They aren’t curing cancer or saving lives.  When the highest paid state employee is a college coach then something is wrong with that state.

I don't disagree, but I will point out that if we are correct, there is something bad wrong in just about every state.

Archived