ok folks

aubiefifty

what do we do to correct our special teams? and i do not mean bash someone thread but a positive look forward...

See if we can get Frank Beamer to come in as a guest coach in the spring and spend a little time teaching our ST coach how to coach special teams.

Really improve coverage...one too many blocked kicks. Even though the blocked kick in the A&M game didn't end up mattering and ultimately not in the SECCG since UGA won by 3 scores, that isn't to say a blocked kick won't make all the difference in our bowl game or games next season.

41 minutes ago, Tiger1992 said:

See if we can get Frank Beamer to come in as a guest coach in the spring and spend a little time teaching our ST coach how to coach special teams.

This isn't a bad idea, assuming this type of thing actually happens. I think it does?

Just now, Barnacle said:

This isn't a bad idea, assuming this type of thing actually happens. I think it does?

It's not unusual for coaches to visit other programs to learn new ideas and techniques. I don't see why this couldn't happen, but admittedly I'm not the person to ask.

Just now, Tiger1992 said:

It's not unusual for coaches to visit other programs to learn new ideas and techniques. I don't see why this couldn't happen, but admittedly I'm not the person to ask.

I'm not either, but I think it would be cool to have him come down as a guests coach not just for our staff, but players too. 

52 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

what do we do to correct our special teams? and i do not mean bash someone thread but a positive look forward...

Will Herring was a ST stud in the league for years when it comes to covering kicks. Hire him.

How good is Anders Carleson?  I know he is "Legatron's" little brother and has the blue blood line of kicking in his veins. I hope he makes a smooth transition as big brother starts his 10 years in the NFL of never missing a PAT and kicking a 65 yard FG one day.

I think if Shannon is coached up more in the punting department, he can be a good one. If not, we need to address this asap and shore that up. If we can get our ST up to snuff, this will make our team a force to recon with in 2018. We need to go to Athens next year and just take the mutts to the woodshed for their disrespect for out Tigers!

6 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

How good is Anders Carleson?  I know he is "Legatron's" little brother and has the blue blood line of kicking in his veins. I hope he makes a smooth transition as big brother starts his 10 years in the NFL of never missing a PAT and kicking a 65 yard FG one day.

I think if Shannon is coached up more in the punting department, he can be a good one. If not, we need to address this asap and shore that up. If we can get our ST up to snuff, this will make out team a force to recon with in 2018. We need to go to Athens next year and just take the mutts to the woodshed for their disrespect for out Tigers!

I think they are trying to address it...

It’s poor coaching I regard to showing the importance of special teams.  Then you add in that it seems our players kind of go half speed in blocking running and tackling in special teams

23 minutes ago, corchjay said:

It’s poor coaching I regard to showing the importance of special teams.  Then you add in that it seems our players kind of go half speed in blocking running and tackling in special teams

This is how I see it too.   It is a mindset.   The players have to make a commitment to being the best.   

We need better personnel in coverage teams. Our punt coverage guys looked like they were running in lead boots Saturday night.  

27 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

We need better personnel in coverage teams. Our punt coverage guys looked like they were running in lead boots Saturday night.  

I’m thinking that Josh Marsh kid will help there right away.

5 hours ago, Tiger1992 said:

don't the updykes have like 20 ex coaches on staff?

With NFL coaches as guests?

12 minutes ago, AUloggerhead said:

61L7iuBMr6L._SX350_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Forward as written by Beamer:

Special teams is but one of three phases of the game of football, if you suck at any one of them, you're probably going to lose.

;)

10 minutes ago, stoic-one said:

Forward as written by Beamer:

;)

Learn from the experts/masters.  Whomever gets that coaching position ought to be knowledgeable of anything written on the subject. 

Archived