More Versatility in Auburn's Gameplan Next Year?

Malcolm_FleX48

I'm sure we're all happy and a bit more satisfied now that Coach Malzahn seems to have "come into his own" in letting the players play and his coaches coach, however, I've a question that is pretty pressing.

Will our offense be more versatile next year and actually excel in doing more than spreading the field laterally to make easy money with run plays and screens? We've seen glimmers of a deep passing game this year, however, it seems that there are still some blemishes that keep even the most ardent of sunshine pumpers from simply letting go. Our offense is pretty one-dimensional in certain facets. Go up against a team with good enough linebackers and athletic enough safeties to get downhill and fill + scrape laterally and make plays in space and we're fairly sunk. This definitely needs to be remedied. Whether it's going whole-hog pitch and catch, or simply adding in more route concepts and combos that make use of the defense's predisposition to hone in on our running-lanes and neglect their pass duty a bit. Either by aligning closer to the LOS, or shortening their drift in coverage. I believe that without such versatility-in-scheme, we'll be shackled to having to rely on players during tough and debilitating schedules that are sure to bring injuries with them. 

Thoughts?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Flex, always good to see you. 

I'm super *not* an Xs and Os guy, but the thing that bothered me most about Saturday was again seeing Stidham just standing in the pocket and staring at, evidently, covered receivers. Is that what you're talking about? Is it just a matter of scheming better to get the receivers in space? I have to believe we have the athletes. 

I feel like Lindsey spread it around the field more at ASU than we did this season. I'm optimistic that we'll grow in that direction assuming he stays. 

The bottom line for this offense is it needs a true blocking and catching TE.  It need more explosiveness from the RB position.  I'm talking taking it to the house.  I love KJ but his great runs are the 3 yard runs he turns into 7 yard runs.  He's a chain mover.  We need elite running backs if we are going to run the ball 45-50 times a game.  We also need WRs that can get separation and not just burning by someone I mean separation on a curl route an out route or a crossing route.  People have complained all year about the intermediate routes but they have been there, check downs as well, yet the intermediate routes were covered and/or not thrown to.  I also love hastings but he isn't an every down player.  He is so easily taken out of his route with physical play.  Same for R. Davis they just don't have the physical size to run intermediate routes and make catches over and over.  That's what NCM and Kyle Davis were supposed to be for.  

Nothing that happened on Saturday was from coaching or lack of coaching and adjustments.  No coach made R. Davis drop the ball on the quick throw.  No one made D. Barrett also drop the quick throw but themselves.  That is the counter to heavy blitz.  Screens and quick throws.  No one made Cox totally whiff on a blitzing linebacker and when I say whiff I mean didn't lay a finger on him.  Those are just 3 plays from the game where just a little more focus would have paid huge dividends but ended up punting.  Jarrett got a little happy feet and moving around in the pocket some when not required and he lost his accuracy.  

1st.  I'd implement some Texas concept

2nd. I'd try some Mills concept like Spurrier used at UF

3rd. I'd try some sail concepts with a little more roll and half roll outs

In the beginning of the season, we ran some buck sweep, but towards the end of the year it seemed like all we ran was some variation of inside zone. We need balance in our run game as well. A toss, stretch, or any other OT runs would help loosen the middle.

48 minutes ago, corchjay said:

The bottom line for this offense is it needs a true blocking and catching TE.  It need more explosiveness from the RB position.  I'm talking taking it to the house.  I love KJ but his great runs are the 3 yard runs he turns into 7 yard runs.  He's a chain mover.  We need elite running backs if we are going to run the ball 45-50 times a game.  We also need WRs that can get separation and not just burning by someone I mean separation on a curl route an out route or a crossing route.  People have complained all year about the intermediate routes but they have been there, check downs as well, yet the intermediate routes were covered and/or not thrown to.  I also love hastings but he isn't an every down player.  He is so easily taken out of his route with physical play.  Same for R. Davis they just don't have the physical size to run intermediate routes and make catches over and over.  That's what NCM and Kyle Davis were supposed to be for.  

Nothing that happened on Saturday was from coaching or lack of coaching and adjustments.  No coach made R. Davis drop the ball on the quick throw.  No one made D. Barrett also drop the quick throw but themselves.  That is the counter to heavy blitz.  Screens and quick throws.  No one made Cox totally whiff on a blitzing linebacker and when I say whiff I mean didn't lay a finger on him.  Those are just 3 plays from the game where just a little more focus would have paid huge dividends but ended up punting.  Jarrett got a little happy feet and moving around in the pocket some when not required and he lost his accuracy.  

All of our receivers need to be more physical. Time and time again Saturday they were tied up and simply could not gain separation. Left JS with little option, run or throw it away. Now I think there could have been some PI's or holding called, but apparently Kirby complained to the SEC office about PI's after the first game and perhaps that is why nothing called. IDK.  

But let's give some cred to Georgia, they were simply a lot more physical than we were.

18 minutes ago, bigbird said:

1st.  I'd implement some Texas concept

2nd. I'd try some Mills concept like Spurrier used at UF

3rd. I'd try some sail concepts with a little more roll and half roll outs

In the beginning of the season, we ran some buck sweep, but towards the end of the year it seemed like all we ran was some variation of inside zone. We need balance in our run game as well. A toss, stretch, or any other OT runs would help loosen the middle.

I do miss the stretch play.  Would be nice to see the pistol formation.  Would be easy to implement for a new wrinkle.  Could run the same inside zone and power plus add the stretch.  I'm not saying make it an every down formation just maybe 5-10 times a game.  

I'd personally like to see the HB position evolve into a true TE position. A big athletic 6-5 TE that can run block and run decent routes. That's been a big deficiency in this offense IMO. A simple TE out combined with a WR slant would do us some good and also soften the middle up some on inside runs. The slow motion mesh point between QB and RB HAS to get faster as well. 

Just now, leglessdan said:

I'd personally like to see the HB position evolve into a true TE position. A big athletic 6-5 TE that can run block and run decent routes. That's been a big deficiency in this offense IMO. A simple TE out combined with a WR slant would do us some good and also soften the middle up some on inside runs. The slow motion mesh point between QB and RB HAS to get faster as well. 

I think that is the plan going forward.  Big athletic TEs over full backs.  

4 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I think that is the plan going forward.  Big athletic TEs over full backs.  

I sure hope so. I love the use of a TE in the passing game. 

Corch, agree wholeheartedly about the WR and RB.  With all of the success that RB’s have had in Gus’ offense, it s mind blowing why we don’t have one of the backs Bama has or GA is signing.     

Hopefully the WR recruiting will dramatically improve with this years passing game.   We need Ross

3 minutes ago, lala said:

Corch, agree wholeheartedly about the WR and RB.  With all of the success that RB’s have had in Gus’ offense, it s mind blowing why we don’t have one of the backs Bama has or GA is signing.     

Hopefully the WR recruiting will dramatically improve with this years passing game.   We need Ross

Just guessing,  but maybe they know Gus rides one back and leaves nothing up for competition, meanwhile bammer and uga rotate backs and let them get experience.

I'll add to that. Until Gus starts hauling in 2-3 stud RBs each class, his offense will NEVER be as potent as he believes it is. No change of pace backs,  I'm talking mean, beefy workhorses.

3 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

Just guessing,  but maybe they know Gus rides one back and leaves nothing up for competition, meanwhile bammer and uga rotate backs and let them get experience.

This . We need to quit worrying about getting one back over 1000 and worry about getting a stable we can rotate and keep fresh. 

Just now, leglessdan said:

Maybe that is it, but I would love to be the horse they are riding.  Also, playing with pace does prevent us from substituting a ton within the series,  but that  should not prevent us from using a different back every 3rd series which we should.  

4 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

I'll add to that. Until Gus starts hauling in 2-3 stud RBs each class, his offense will NEVER be as potent as he believes it is. No change of pace backs,  I'm talking mean, beefy workhorses.

Agree, think how good we could have been this year.  

3 minutes ago, lala said:

Maybe that is it, but I would love to be the horse they are riding.  Also, playing with pace does prevent us from substituting a ton within the series,  but that  should not prevent us from using a different back every 3rd series which we should.  

That's exactly my thought. Interchange different series or after long runs. Game plan for either backs strengths and run the O accordingly. HUNH does no good if you're out of gas. 

33 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I do miss the stretch play.  Would be nice to see the pistol formation.  Would be easy to implement for a new wrinkle.  Could run the same inside zone and power plus add the stretch.  I'm not saying make it an every down formation just maybe 5-10 times a game.  

yes

12 minutes ago, wareagle7298 said:

Could they just hire us as head coach by committee? I would gladly split seven million dollars a year with you guys. 

We'd argue too much ??

If they let me call plays we would end up running trick plays out of the CoxCat. :hellyeah:

21 minutes ago, Dan-0 said:

If they let me call plays we would end up running trick plays out of the CoxCat. :hellyeah:

You're fired ?

You guys are talking about more advanced plays that must not exist in GM or CL high school playbook. We really run only about 4 or 5 plays disguised by different formations. That said, I am happy were in the championship game but skeptical about the future and certainly against paying Gus the kind of money we are paying him. Hoping I am dead wrong about our futue and we win 30 in a row.

I hope so. We need to get a much more variety and sophisticated look in the passing game and that will also depend on the growth and trust of Stidham. That is how it’s going to have to be , especially when defenses sell out on the run. This is the only negative about not having a playmaker on a CGM philosophical offense. When things break down with this bunch we are kind of screwed . I think the offense we have now would’ve been great for a NM. Someone of Stidham Caliber in passing needs a lot more hot routes and a lot more creativity . Especially since he doesn’t have the escape ability of the two QBs who won us an SEC championship in the pass. He has glimpses.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

I hope so. We need to get a much more variety and sophisticated look in the passing game and that will also depend on the growth and trust of Stidham. That is how it’s going to have to be , especially when defenses sell out on the run. This is the only negative about not having a playmaker on a CGM philosophical offense. When things break down with this bunch we are kind of screwed . I think the offense we have now would’ve been great for a NM. Someone of Stidham Caliber in passing needs a lot more hot routes and a lot more creativity . Especially since he doesn’t have the escape ability of the two QBs who won us an SEC championship in the pass. He has glimpses.

I want to see how much changes for Stidham in terms of trusting himself/WRs on some throws. It got better as the year went on but early on he seemed very hesistant to let the ball rip. I do think that when synthetically solved it By going to a quicker passing game complimented by occasional deep shots. 

I’m not sure if this is accurate, but it’s feels like he stays on his primary target for too long before going through his progression. He is young though so there is plenty of time

Archived