2018 5* QB Emory Jones (Ohio St.)

ellitor

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

Any idea why we didn't pursue the Jack West kid that played QB for the Alabama team today? He looked capable and has committed to Stanford. He certainly appeared to be well above the level of a backup plan.

I don't know why we didn't try to push but he was a Stanford commit a very long time & it's very hard to flip a Stanford commit. Also the staff was not planning to take a 2nd QB til Sean White was kicked off the team so by the time we started looking for someone not named Justin Fields West was already locked in with Stanford.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, DAG said:

Yes because you are a fan with nothing on the line . You can afford to think about now and not the future. As history as shown us, CGM absolutely cannot and must always be forward thinking .  I think you need to calm down for a second and not make assumptions About my post. All I am saying is depth wouldn’t be a bad thing. I am grateful that the staff went after the very best but now we need to make sure we build as much depth as possible . How do you think we got Sean White here? 

I apologize for pointing out my perception of your negativity. "We are bad at contingency plans" may be COMPLETELY accurate and it may not be. I don't know. I am just a fan with nothing on the line. From my point of view, Auburn is a VERY good team right now, and has been building to get better. I see no reason why we won't be very good next year and the year after that. So when recruiting gurus give a crystal ball to UF I don't automatically think that it is an indictment of our coaches and their plans. I have read on this forum where supposed Auburn fans WANTED US TO LOSE so that we could fire our coach. So, my post was out of line because I directed frustration at you that was not of your doing. Anyway, I still think the future is bright! War Eagle!

I would like to get EJ but I have a lot of confidence in Willis to be a good QB if JS were to be injured. So I think we will be ok with signing just Gatewood if we miss on EJ. Stidham,  Willis  and Gatewood next year will be a good looking line of QB's.

3 minutes ago, kd4au said:

I would like to get EJ but I have a lot of confidence in Willis to be a good QB if JS were to be injured. So I think we will be ok with signing just Gatewood if we miss on EJ. Stidham,  Willis  and Gatewood next year will be a good looking line of QB's.

2 & sometimes 3 QBs get hurt in a season. Just sayin. It's why the staff always prefers to have 4 schollied QBs on roster.

Probably being redundant but Stidman coming back, negates the need for a second qb. Willis will HOPEFULLY get meaningful snaps next season. Gatewood will RS and whenever Nix pulls the trigger, we'll be set at the position for the foreseeable future.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

2 & sometimes 3 QBs get hurt in a season. Just sayin. It's why the staff always prefers to have 4 schollied QBs on roster.

Yes I know they can get hurt. I was just saying if we can't sign a good one use that spot for another position. Like a good O-lineman, like a tackle or maybe even a LB'er.

Just now, FASTCOMPANY said:

Probably being redundant but Stidman coming back, negates the need for a second qb.

No it doesn't. The staff was going after 2 in this class expecting JS back because of SW being kicked off the team. We just have to hope we win the injury gamble in 2018.

Just now, kd4au said:

I was just saying if we can't sign a good one use that spot for another position. Like a good O-lineman, like a tackle or maybe even a LB'er.

No doubt. I have said very similar in other posts.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

No it doesn't. The staff was going after 2 in this class expecting JS back because of SW being kicked off the team. We just have to hope we win the injury gamble in 2018.

Was speaking in terms of us already missing out on JF. No need to take a qb just to be taking one.

3 minutes ago, FASTCOMPANY said:

No need to take a qb just to be taking one.

I've said the same thing like 5 times in the past 2 days. Guess it gets lost in translation. lol

E, do you think they're might be another Willis out there that we could get as a last minute surprise? He was a really good back up plan IMO.

3 minutes ago, kd4au said:

E, do you think they're might be another Willis out there that we could get as a last minute surprise? He was a really good back up plan IMO.

I guess. This was around the time we hard of MW. Thing though is spots are more limited this year & as others have said there are more pressing needs at other positions.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

there are more pressing needs at other positions

I agree with this, but I would like to get to the point we have 4 QB's, so I guess will have to keep JS from going pro for two years and we will back on track if we get Bo Nix.

Nix.....everything we do QB-wise needs to be to secure his commitment.  His game is different than Stidham's but his impact is identical.  He is a legit game changer.  

Nix outperformed all those kids in the ATL combine remember?  I am pretty sure E Jones was there among other D 1 QBs.  And he is a year younger.

Got to think strategically here.  Don't just add a QB to add a QB.  One thing about Joey - if called to play, he is not fragile and will survive some sacks.  

4 hours ago, Grumps said:

I apologize for pointing out my perception of your negativity. "We are bad at contingency plans" may be COMPLETELY accurate and it may not be. I don't know. I am just a fan with nothing on the line. From my point of view, Auburn is a VERY good team right now, and has been building to get better. I see no reason why we won't be very good next year and the year after that. So when recruiting gurus give a crystal ball to UF I don't automatically think that it is an indictment of our coaches and their plans. I have read on this forum where supposed Auburn fans WANTED US TO LOSE so that we could fire our coach. So, my post was out of line because I directed frustration at you that was not of your doing. Anyway, I still think the future is bright! War Eagle!

we good. WDE

2 hours ago, Beaker said:

Nix.....everything we do QB-wise needs to be to secure his commitment.  His game is different than Stidham's but his impact is identical.  He is a legit game changer.  

Nix outperformed all those kids in the ATL combine remember?  I am pretty sure E Jones was there among other D 1 QBs.  And he is a year younger.

Got to think strategically here.  Don't just add a QB to add a QB.  One thing about Joey - if called to play, he is not fragile and will survive some sacks.  

Why do people keep saying this? That won't happen, but you still need to do your due diligence. There is no sure thing that Nix will even be coming here. This is why you must have plan A,B,C,D etc

3 hours ago, Beaker said:

His game is different than Stidham's but his impact is identical.

IMO not really.

3 hours ago, Beaker said:

Out performing someone at a camp where there are no pads nor a real pass rush is not an indicator that player will be better in real football games. I'm not saying Bo or EJ is better, just the statement folly.

14 minutes ago, DAG said:

Why do people keep saying this? That won't happen, but you still need to do your due diligence. There is no sure thing that Nix will even be coming here. This is why you must have plan A,B,C,D etc

And to piggy back off this, Jones is not sume run of the mill prospect as implied in Beaker's post.

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

Still think we get a QB we may not have heard of.....jmo

LINK                               Just Kidding.

Just ask Chip Lindsey how many quarterbacks can get injured in one season. The man went through 3-4 quarterbacks in 2016.   Can’t have too many quality quarterbacks.  

With Oladele committing today, I think we are getting pretty tight on numbers. I think this is a good thing. It means we have commitments from lots of guys we wanted. It may have an effect on the 5 remaining spots though. If we are able to pull the 2 WRs we want we are down to 3. You have to think kids may want to go ahead and make their commitment before their slot is potentially gone.

5 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

@ellitor You think Nix has a better impact on the game than Stidham?

Not necessarily. I see them as similar QBs. I don't see either one as a true dual threat like 247 rates them. I see them as good passing QBs who are mobile QBs that can hurt you with their legs but won't make their living doing it.

Archived