2018 4* TE Luke Ford

WFE12

I just watched this guy's tape and he's a monster. Do we stand to have a realistic chance with this guy? I don't see how if we don't pass to the te...Is he just gonna go off what Chip and Gus tell him about using him? 

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, WFE12 said:

Do we stand to have a realistic chance with this guy?

Working on it.

1 hour ago, WFE12 said:

.Is he just gonna go off what Chip and Gus tell him about using him? 

That's all he or any receiving TE can do since we have not had a quality receiving TE on roster to throw to since CJU.

3 hours ago, WFE12 said:

I just watched this guy's tape and he's a monster. Do we stand to have a realistic chance with this guy? I don't see how if we don't pass to the te...Is he just gonna go off what Chip and Gus tell him about using him? 

Georgia has a 5 star TE they do not use. It is not just us not throwing to the tight end. What is their excuse? I am tired of effin georgia getting a pass and we do not. we threw the ball over 100 times more than georgia this year and they still got fields. that makes me so dang mad because the narrative was O Auburn all they do is run.

51 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Georgia has a 5 star TE they do not use. It is not just us not throwing to the tight end. What is their excuse? I am tired of effin georgia getting a pass and we do not. we threw the ball over 100 times more than georgia this year and they still got fields. that makes me so dang mad because the narrative was O Auburn all they do is run.

Nauta and Blazevich have over 70 career receptions between them at UGA. They haven’t been used as much under Smart as under Richt, but that’s still a far cry from 1-2 TE receptions a year our guy gets. At least UGA has enough receptions to put together highlights. But I do agree that Fields is missing an opportunity by choosing their offense over ours. Hopefully, Mullen can steal him from the Mutts and we wont have to face him. 

6 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Nauta and Blazevich have over 70 career receptions between them at UGA. They haven’t been used as much under Smart as under Richt, but that’s still a far cry from 1-2 TE receptions a year our guy gets. At least UGA has enough receptions to put together highlights. But I do agree that Fields is missing an opportunity by choosing their offense over ours. Hopefully, Mullen can steal him from the Mutts and we wont have to face him. 

Nauta has 8 receptions this year so far. WOOOOOOOOOOO EEEEEEEEEEEEEE strike up the band!!!!!!! lol I know your point was well they throw to TE's a lot less than they did under richt or even last year but yah this is outrageous. At least Gus has lutzie and CJ highlights on file he can use. Not recent but still. I just hate georgia gets this pass and we do not for prospective TE's. I just really want this kid and think he is a stud. I hate georgia is in the drivers seat for him. 

9 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I was thinking the same about Nauta...don't use him nearly as much as he should be used. 

He looks really good hoping with all this momentum we can pull him in we should probably try to get the TE involved a little bit more if we can without disturbing the game plan.

3 minutes ago, Timeslider 6 said:

Don't mean to be negative, but this kid is good, why would he come to AU and block for most of his career? CCL hasn't shown the inclination to throw to the TE or am i missing something? :dunno:

Well, we have no TE who can catch consistently. I imagine CCL would love to have a TE he could depend on.

2 minutes ago, Timeslider 6 said:

Maybe he's sees that in practice, because the TE hasn't been targeted in any games enough to make those kinds of decisions. 

Maybe we are watching different games because I have seen at least three passes from JS to our tall JUCO TE. ALL DROPS.

4 hours ago, DAG said:

Maybe we are watching different games because I have seen at least three passes from JS to our tall JUCO TE. ALL DROPS.

We haven't even gotten to form an opinion on Jalen catching the ball because he gets em every blue moon. Gus loves his extra blockers. I wonder if he even got passes thrown to him in practice? They were probably just set on Canella and never thought to throw to Jalen only for those rare trick seam route plays.

7 hours ago, WFE12 said:

We haven't even gotten to form an opinion on Jalen catching the ball because he gets em every blue moon. Gus loves his extra blockers. I wonder if he even got passes thrown to him in practice? They were probably just set on Canella and never thought to throw to Jalen only for those rare trick seam route plays.

Jalen is not as pass catching TE. He's a thrown it to once in a blue moon to shock the system type.

The way we are using/ not using the TE doesn't seen to keep us from scoring a LOT of points. I suppose if we had a reliable dual threat TE, pass catcher and blocker, we work in some passes to him. See Uzama and Lutz. In the meantime, we're scoring just fine.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

The way we are using/ not using the TE doesn't seen to keep us from scoring a LOT of points. I suppose if we had a reliable dual threat TE, pass catcher and blocker, we work in some passes to him. See Uzama and Lutz. In the meantime, we're scoring just fine.

Lots of seasons I would complain about Gus not trusting his guys. Lots of seasons I also say that we tend to make too big a deal out of dropped passes. Not this season. This season we threw to our pass catching TE a few times and he dropped several easy passes. We actually proved in game play that we don't have a reliable pass catcher at TE, at least not one who can consistently get open (guessing Harris falls in this category).

Yet, as you say, the points pile up. I see the staff being in the clear on this one.

Has Auburn made advancements with top TE target Luke Ford?

For the majority of Luke Ford‘s recruitment, Georgia and Alabama have been the most mentioned programs.

Even Ford has placed Auburn in a secondary group throughout his recruitment. That’s no longer the case. So from that standpoint, his Iron Bowl official visit made a major advancement with Ford.

Here’s what Ford had to say immediately after leaving his most recent trip to Auburn.

“For one, Coach [Gus Malzahn] is probably the coolest head coach I’ve talked to. He spends a lot of time with me. It means a lot to me, especially coming from a prestigious school like Auburn,” Ford said. “Auburn definitely moved up after this. That was the best game atmosphere I’ve ever been to. I’ve been to a lot of schools with like 100,000 fans, and this was louder than 100,000 fans, and it’s only like 87,000. It was the best game environment I’ve ever been in.”

Then he gave the all-important commentary about Auburn’s standing compared to its two biggest recruiting rivals.

“I have pretty much a top 3 right now that are all right beside each other,” Ford said. “It’s Auburn, Bama and Georgia. It’ll just have to be me looking at tight ends and seeing where I fit in. That’s just going to come down to my personal decision.”

So there it was, in short order after a visit, Ford labeling Auburn in his top group with the two schools most regularly connected to his recruitment. From information gathered subsequent to that visit, the Tigers have made even bigger moves than that. My sources are telling me this likely will come down to Auburn or Georgia, so the Tigers have made some serious headway here.

The reason for the move?

IMG_1340_cxth1b.jpg
Auburn target Luke Ford’s older brother Noah Ford (left) has a walk-on offer from Auburn. (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

For starters, Auburn has picked up efforts with this recruitment recently. Knowing the official visit went well — and that they were a serious contender — the Tigers made sure to not let up. There may be a perception that Ford is all but Georgia bound (I’m somewhat inclined to agree), but the Tigers are making an impression.

Because of this, that’s why Ford was one of the only prospects to receive an in-home visit from the Auburn staff last week as it prepared for the SEC Championship Game. Larry Porter went to see Luke and Noah last Thursday before the rematch against Georgia.

The Tigers plan to go back this week — and likely with more than just Porter.

On top of the added prioritization, Auburn and Georgia are the two programs who also have offered Ford’s older brother Noah as a walk-on fullback. That’s something that has given those two programs an edge over Alabama. Meanwhile, the Crimson Tide have two other top tight-end targets (Dominick Wood-Anderson and Michael Parker) who they are in great shape with, as well.

It has set up an Auburn-Georgia battle.

For now, the edge favors Georgia. Ford has spoken in the past about his desire to play with 5-star Georgia quarterback commit Justin Fields, who he was teamed up with at The Opening. Georgia has given Noah a walk-on offer, too, so there isn’t as much of an advantage there, though Noah told me after he left the visit that 1) Auburn had been the best unofficial experience for him, which he felt mattered to Luke and 2) the Tigers were the first to offer the walk-on opportunity so it felt the most sincere.

As Ford said after his Auburn visit, it’s come down to him seeing the tight ends (side note: neither program has used the position much this season) and the best personal decision for him. It really could go either way — the Tigers or the Bulldogs — and that, in itself, is a major advancement in the recruitment of one of the best tight ends in the country.

19 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

This one just feels iffy to me. UGA feels like it’ll be where he’ll end up. 

It may be but AU has definitely made this interesting.

We need to get back to the days of Lutz. Maybe they are selling the notion that he could be the next PL?

I'm not sure I understand why, but Ford seems to really be enjoying his time with AU coaches. He says he had a great time beating AU coaches in bowling yesterday. 

I wonder what AU coaches are telling Ford about the TE position at AU. It has to be, "If we had a TE talent like you, we would find ways to get you the ball". 

It would be great if we would actually ever do that. 

Archived