Im so durn mad.

norcuron

I'm sorry, I didn't know a better place to put it. But I'm so durn MAD! We were so durn CLOSE!  and a team we beat like a drum 3 weeks earlier comes in an crushes us. So the Turds a team we beat and Ga. the other team we beat are in the National College Football Championships.  We have beat 2 out of the 4 in the playoff So we give the coach a 7 year contract for not making the playoff even though we beat 2 out of the final 4 in football. HE did not close the deal. From hot seat to 7 year contract for not beating a team that you whipped like a drunk touching your wife 2 weeks ago. It means they can read you. 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kirby adjusted, Gus did not. I realize KJ was hurt, and that's a major factor, but as a head coach you have to find other ways to win. We have a great defense that kept us in it, but like other big games, Gus just can't adapt the offense. Didn't help that he failed to build a solid back-up running back all season.

1 minute ago, TigerFanAU said:

Kirby adjusted, Gus did not. I realize KJ was hurt, and that's a major factor, but as a head coach you have to find other ways to win. We have a great defense that kept us in it, but like other big games, Gus just can't adapt the offense. Didn't help that he failed to build a solid back-up running back all season.

He sorta did. That was KJ. Most figured early Pettway was gonna carry the rock a lot.

Just now, norcuron said:

He sorta did. That was KJ. Most figured early Pettway was gonna carry the rock a lot.

There was plenty of opportunities to build up Kam or Malik. And why on earth Kam only got 4 carries is a prime example of Gus and his decision making.

And the hysteria continues.....Gus didn't lose this game. I'll give you the running back issues but this game was about to be tied up at 10 when our players failed to block their man across from them. We were about to go up 10-0 (at the very least) when our quarterback failed to deliver the ball inside the 10 yard line.

This team wasn't 23 points better than Georgia a few weeks ago. They were more like 7 points better. Momentum and turnovers combined with missed tackles and errant throws lost the game. Not the coach.

That game was all about momentum.  It had nothing to do with play calling.  The fumble by Stidham on the 3rd drive completely changed momentum and we were never able to get it back. Anyone that has ever played competitive sports can attest to the role momentum plays in a sporting event.  If you remember the defense had a chance to get the offense the ball right back on that drive after the turnover and Georgia converted 2 long third down plays.  

Funny how things are frequently explained on this board, yet people keep going back to the same talking points.

First, the reason Gus got a new contract was because he went 10-2 playing in the SEC West, beat both of his biggest rivals, and if he didn't get an extension, another team wanted him... badly. Anyone who is willing to have to rebuild the coaching staff from the ground up because the coach didn't win the SEC championship needs to stay as far away from athletic administration as possible. 

As to your other points, yes, it sucked that we didn't have what we needed to hammer them a second time and it sucks worse that bama back-doored the play-offs yet again.

Now, to the other comment from TigerFan, Martin would have been annihilated by Georgia's rush, trying to protect Stidham. Our O-Line couldn't hold so we could not risk Stidham to the protection of a smaller speed back, especially with Georgia playing to hurt people. Miller would have been an option, size wise, but he has yet to master blocking. As to developing them, there are only so many snaps that can be given in practice. You can't just give a bunch of reps to your 3rd and 4th string backs and hope your #1 back is just ready.  We went into the season expecting to play Kerryon and Pettway. We couldn't have known that they will both spend time on the bench.

Echoing what others have said. We lost two fumbles while we were moving with the ball. These left points off the board and points at any point in this game could have changed so much. We lost the first one when we could have easily gone up 10-0. The next one came on a drive when we were moving the ball and had momentum. A TD there puts us up 14-13. Either of these make the game totally different and changes the way the coaches call the game on both sides. 

25 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Funny how things are frequently explained on this board, yet people keep going back to the same talking points.

First, the reason Gus got a new contract was because he went 10-2 playing in the SEC West, beat both of his biggest rivals, and if he didn't get an extension, another team wanted him... badly. Anyone who is willing to have to rebuild the coaching staff from the ground up because the coach didn't win the SEC championship needs to stay as far away from athletic administration as possible. 

As to your other points, yes, it sucked that we didn't have what we needed to hammer them a second time and it sucks worse that bama back-doored the play-offs yet again.

Now, to the other comment from TigerFan, Martin would have been annihilated by Georgia's rush, trying to protect Stidham. Our O-Line couldn't hold so we could not risk Stidham to the protection of a smaller speed back, especially with Georgia playing to hurt people. Miller would have been an option, size wise, but he has yet to master blocking. As to developing them, there are only so many snaps that can be given in practice. You can't just give a bunch of reps to your 3rd and 4th string backs and hope your #1 back is just ready.  We went into the season expecting to play Kerryon and Pettway. We couldn't have known that they will both spend time on the bench.

This. is. spot. on.

just all around poor play from a team that has had too much thrown at them back to back. not too disappointed with the play calling but in hindsight I think we would have benefited with less kerryon Johnson and more Kam. I'm thinking quick tempo with Jan getting more snaps would have had a positive impact  we also have to understand that this was Chip Lindsey first year here. I think it's a little unrealistic to imagine a perfect offense and its first year

1 hour ago, TigerFanAU said:

When we were up by seven and about to go up by 14 or 10 who fumbled the ball? Gus?

When we were down by one score and kicking a field goal, who got the field-goal blocked? Gus?

When we were down by one score, and driving to possibly take the lead, who fumbled the ball?  Gus?

The team was prepared and well coached up to play! Georgia, while playing with a huge chip on their shoulder, was about to go down by two scores! Turnovers happen, players are injured, players are extremely beat up with our schedule, then bad things happen. Can’t blame this one on Gus!

In the second half our defense was like “half second string” due to injuries. Again, just can’t blame that on the coaches.

The momentum shift from the fumble and blocked field goal changed the whole game from top to bottom but defense held strong long enough for the offense to get back in there.  Kirby was forcing our offense to pick up blitzes and it really seemed as tho we couldn’t pick them up.  Kirby had a good game plan and we never adjusted.  Kudos to the kids playing the game tho.  These guys did more than we expected after the LSU debacle.  Hate to lose the way we did and hate to see our biggest rivals on the biggest stage after we drummed them both. Let’s be proud of our team and what they accomplished and hope for back to back double digit wins next year. 

I agree with most of the sentiment here.  Emotional few weeks (over a month).  We made the big plays when we needed them and took advantage of opportunities.  A few things didn't go our way in the SECCG and we lost all steam.  You could see the air go out of the team on the blocked FG.  We kind of recovered a little but then fumbled again around midfield.  Heck I haven't played and after Saturday night after the big rival wins I was emotionally drained and all I am doing is watching.  

As far as bama back dooring into the playoffs... I don't care.  Good for them.  Maybe they'll go on and win it.  Until we focus on Auburn and not Alabama then we will never reach our full potential.  Forget them, don't listen to their garbage, and keep beating them on the field is all we can do.  

For the OP put your big boy pants on or give up watching football if it negatively affects your life so much.  

We may have turned a corner here folks! People actually defending our coaches and players! Haven’t seen much of that after a loss. I’m disappointed FOR these players and staff; not disappointed IN them.

1 hour ago, TigerFanAU said:

you need to let them play every now and then if you want to develop them

There wasn't much we needed to adjust.  Our execution and injuries is what did us in for this game. The plays being called, minus the tunnel screens early in the game, we're good and would've been effective.

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

I agree with most of the sentiment here.  Emotional few weeks (over a month).  We made the big plays when we needed them and took advantage of opportunities.  A few things didn't go our way in the SECCG and we lost all steam.  You could see the air go out of the team on the blocked FG.  We kind of recovered a little but then fumbled again around midfield.  Heck I haven't played and after Saturday night after the big rival wins I was emotionally drained and all I am doing is watching.  

As far as bama back dooring into the playoffs... I don't care.  Good for them.  Maybe they'll go on and win it.  Until we focus on Auburn and not Alabama then we will never reach our full potential.  Forget them, don't listen to their garbage, and keep beating them on the field is all we can do.  

For the OP put your big boy pants on or give up watching football if it negatively affects your life so much.  

I’ll be pulling clempson and Oklahoma. I hate all four teams. 

1 minute ago, alexava said:

I’ll be pulling clempson and Oklahoma. I hate all four teams. 

Kinda want OU to win just to mess with the UTx people

18 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Kinda want OU to win just to mess with the UTx people

Please no. I live in OKC. OU fans are much like turd fans. 

42 minutes ago, doug3020 said:

Please no. I live in OKC. OU fans are much like turd fans. 

So are UTx fans

Archived