On to UCF

DAG

Don't know if you guys know this, but the season isn't over just yet. Here are some highlights from UCF recent game. Can't seem to find too many videos solely based on UCF.

Their defense has some speed, but they are undersized and susceptible to giving up the big play A LOT. They do their best to cause turnovers though and seem more bend don't break in philosophy. JS should have a field them with them. JS should have a field day. Riley Ferguson torched them for a tune of 471 yards on 4 TD passes and he had one main target, Anthony Miller and UCF still couldn't stop him. I expect them to play quite a bit of zone, doing their best to keep everything in front of them. I am sure they will be keying on our quick hitters to Davis. With that being said, there secondary is not nearly as physical as the teams we face. They miss a lot of tackles. NCM should feel like Larry Allen (Shout out to the cowboys) on the exterior. For example..look at the video underneath. (beginning of the video to about 35 seconds). Hope the coaching staff has something up their sleeves...

Now, they have a very prolific offense. Mackenzie Miller is pretty damn accurate and has underrated speed. He lacks arm strength, so don't be expecting Baker Mayfield tosses on the run, but he makes up for it with his ability to get the ball out quick. They tend to run a lot of intermediate routes. Their goal is to get to the outside more than not and they have the speed to do it. Basic principles of RPO apply. Defensive ends cannot lose leverage and just crash down. Miller can run and will run need be. Defense needs to trust their technique and gameplan, not just their athletic ability. I will say their intermediate routes scare me a bit, as our guys are physical in the secondary, but tend to get lost in space. Carlton Davis is very physical, but he is a continuous culprit in this regard. If our front seven does what it does, we should be in pretty good hands.I do not foresee them running the ball on us unless they are able to get yards on 1st down through the air. If that is the case, they will want to run tempo and that is when the defense starts to falter a bit. WE MUST REMAIN AHEAD OF THE CHAINS ON BOTH SIDES OF THE BALL. This is a very beatable team. However, they will come out with passion off the charts for their coach and for their pride.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

To be honest, the joy has been sucked out of it for me at the moment. Maybe I’ll find it closer to game time.

It’s  THIS mentality that I’m afraid our players may have taken on after the UGA game...no shot at you persoanlly pigskin is intended. Really though, like stated above, UCF will come into this game with passion off the charts. I could easily see us losing if we don’t come ready & excited to play. That’s the only way I see them beating us. 

UCF really worries me the most of anyone we've played this year.

Here's a fact: Out of all of the teams that we've played this year (which includes Clemson, Oklahoma, uga and bama), UCF is the ONLY team that's still undefeated. 

/sarcasm

On a serious note, there's a reason they're undefeated and only ranked #10. 

I'm just not excited (yet, but give it a few weeks and I probably won't be as meh) for this game. Not trying to sound elitist or whatever, but the only chance they have is if Auburn comes out flat. HOPEFULLY, we come out pissed off after that uga loss. Which team shows up? 

3 minutes ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

It’s  THIS mentality that I’m afraid our players may have taken on after the UGA game...no shot at you persoanlly pigskin is intended. Really though, like stated above, UCF will come into this game with passion off the charts. I could easily see us losing if we don’t come ready & excited to play. That’s the only way I see them beating us. 

You are exactly right. Need to let go. We need to come out January 1st and dominate. Not only for ourselves, but for perception. The way we end this season will trickle into momentum for next season. We want to come into next season against UW, a preseason TOP 5. It starts January 1st.

3 minutes ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

I agree. We obviously don't belong in the playoff, but we deserved a better bowl than this. 

This will be UCF's Super Bowl. If we come out flat, we could lose. Seen it before, too many times.

A couple of examples that come to mind...

2006 Capitol One Bowl vs Wisconsin. Auburn lost 24-10. IMO, Auburn got snubbed out of the BCS Fiesta Bowl. Should have played Ohio State. Instead, ND (lower ranked) got selected. As a fan, I couldn't get too excited to play Wisconsin. Wonder if the players felt the same way.

2009 Sugar Bowl. bama lost to Utah, 31-17. As much as I hate bama, and as much as I thoroughly enjoyed that game, bama had no business losing to Utah. Don't remember if they felt snubbed or not, but they probably weren't so jazzed about playing Utah? 

Let's come out fired up and get a big W to end the post season. That's important, for many reasons. Just remember, one or maybe both of our SEC rivals in the playoffs will not be able to say that. 

BEAT UCF 

UCF is deserving of this bowl game. Probably deserve better but they didn't get it. For Auburn fans that don't think this is a big enough game, try losing it and see how big it is. 

2 hours ago, TucsonTiger said:

No way any of us get excited about this game, much less the players! 

No amount of cheerleading will help. 

It is what it is!

I’m very excited about going for an 11th win and facing an unbeaten team in a bowl. Watching the Auburn Tigers take the field is always a reminder of why I love my alma mater like I do. This team has laid it on the line for us all year. You better believe I will be cheering them on. WDE???!!!

Auburn athletes win at every position.  

It may be a game early, but it should be a rout by the 4th Q.  But really, win by 50 or lose by 50, nobody cares because it's against non-Power 5 freak nobody UCF who will be back to losing 5 or more games next year. 

7 hours ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

This where Gus starts to earn that $7M.  It's his and his staff's job to make sure the players are ready physically and mentally to dominate this game.  

This game really is huge. A solid win here gives AU a top 5 finish not to mention we will finish ahead of bama if Clemson does their job.. It will generate momentum going into the off season and while finishing up recruiting. 

9 minutes ago, around4ever said:

This where Gus starts to earn that $7M.  It's his and his staff's job to make sure the players are ready physically and mentally to dominate this game.  

Hopefully, they spend the next month preparing for this game as if it is the first game of the 2018 season.

Would be a good time for backups to get more reps if it is a blowout.....

Something the backups wouldn’t get if we were playing Oklahoma or Clemson. Because let’s face it, they’d be bringing pressure all game, and to insert Barrett or Martin into the game would be a firable offense.

4 hours ago, TucsonTiger said:

No way any of us get excited about this game, much less the players! 

No amount of cheerleading will help. 

It is what it is!

Speak for yourself, bud. I can’t wait til January 1st to watch more Auburn football. 

56 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Well said. I was about to post something similar, but you said it way better.

I hope that AU is focused and intense and dominates this game on both sides of the ball. I personally think that we should. Do that and it gets the conversation going for next year- like it or not where we start the year has some bearing on how we are perceived throughout the year

8 hours ago, yngwie1995 said:

UCF really worries me the most of anyone we've played this year.

On a serious note, there's a reason they're undefeated and only ranked #10. 

I'm just not excited (yet, but give it a few weeks and I probably won't be as meh) for this game. Not trying to sound elitist or whatever, but the only chance they have is if Auburn comes out flat. HOPEFULLY, we come out pissed off after that uga loss. Which team shows up? 

Only ranked 10th? .....like higher than LSU and about a dozen SEC teams.   :-\

The "undefeated" status might get them higher in the rankings than their skill level warrants but I'm thinking our DBs will get a work out that day. 

Note that their QB is a little guy...less than 6 feet and about 175 or so....plus he is quick and our DEs will need to contain against him as he is probably quicker than any QB we faced this year.

UCF has great athletes all over the field, except defensive and offensive lines. We should handle business. 

1 hour ago, RHN1975 said:

This game really is huge. A solid win here gives AU a top 5 finish not to mention we will finish ahead of bama if Clemson does their job.. It will generate momentum going into the off season and while finishing up recruiting. 

???

I'm looking forward to it.  The UCF defense was non-existent vs Memphis.  It was a track meet in the first half.   Based on what I've seen of them, they'll easily be one of the worst defenses AU will have seen all year.  I'm sure UCF will be jacked up and wanting to send their coach off to Nebraska with an undefeated season as their going away present, so AU better bring their emotions with them.  

My biggest complaint is it's a morning game on Jan 1.  Getting the family up early Jan 1 and after staying up to watch Dick Clark's Rockin' New Year's Eve and stumbling down to the Mercedes Dome would be much easier if they moved it to a mid afternoon game   Someone should start a petition to make it later in the day.  

Archived