Auburn targeting UNC for game in 2020

GwillMac6

The Tar Heels and Tigers are set to play a big game soon.

Auburn and North Carolina are nearing a deal to play in 2020 according to Brandon Marcello of 247 Sports Auburn site Auburn Undercover.

Auburn and North Carolina are finalizing discussions to play in the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game in Week 2 of the 2020 season, a person familiar with the discussions told Auburn Undercover.

Interestingly, the “kickoff” game would not occur during the opening week as the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game already is setting up games for Week 1.

Auburn and North Carolina have played six times in the past according to Winsipedia.

The Tar Heels won the most recent game 16-10 in 2001 when Tommy Tuberville was still head coach at Auburn. North Carolina leads the all-time series 4-2.

Southern Miss, UMASS and Alabama A&M are currently on the Tigers non-conference schedule for 2020 according to FBSchedules.com.

8 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I would be ok with this.  Anyone but Clemson.  If they want to play all SEC schools come join the conference.  

I am so good with not playing clemson for another 25 years!!! mercy.

When I saw this report and starting thinking about playing Washington next year to open the season. I realized Auburn will play three strait games in Atlanta. The SEC championship, bowl game and Washington to open next season. 

29 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

UNC must be excited about this...means they’re a shoe-in for a playoff spot.

Only if they lose in a hard fought game......

I only wish it was a home and home. Would love to go watch a game in NC. These kickoff games are a ripoff for fans.

10 minutes ago, CR said:

I only wish it was a home and home. Would love to go watch a game in Chapel Hill.

Absolutely.  One of the better road trips from the fall of '87, from what I can remember.  That is one great little town in an area of great little cities.

15 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Absolutely.  One of the better road trips from the fall of '87, from what I can remember.  That is one great little town in an area of great little cities.

Pass. I can't stand Chapel Hill, the town or the university. I'd much rather have us play in Blacksburg. More of a long shot, but I think playing a home & home w/ Appalachian State would be amazing. Boone, NC is a cool spot, and the scenery is pretty & the stadium is intimate and typically full.

8 minutes ago, Planner4Hire said:

Pass. I can't stand Chapel Hill, the town or the university. I'd much rather have us play in Blacksburg. More of a long shot, but I think playing a home & home w/ Appalachian State would be amazing. Boone, NC is a cool spot, and the scenery is pretty & the stadium is intimate and typically full.

Appalachian State is HOT HOT HOT!

23 minutes ago, Planner4Hire said:

Blacksburg is a beautiful place and nice stadium. Watched them play Duke there a few years ago. The one thing I didn't understand was that there were vendors in the stadium selling giant turkey drumsticks. Seems kind of like eating your own if you know what I mean. Just seemed strange. 

Keenan Stadium and Chapel Hill were great destinations when I went there to see us beat them up in '88 - I hope that has not changed. True, App State area is even prettier but it's like visiting a community college. UNC alumni/fans generally lack delusional Vandy/Duke belittling & uninformed academic attitudes and I love beating the ACC. UNC is one of our odder overall losing records (2 - 4, including a loss last time we played in 2001) bring 'em on! 

I also am into playing teams like this.

We don't need to schedule powers from other conferences anymore but the 2nd tier teams is good for us. Not that I'm "scared" but we have to keep up with the times. A loss to "premier OOC team" hurts more than not playing one at all (Bama vs FSU this year).

I'd rather take our chances with an SEC West schedule and higher win total than play tough OOC schedule limiting our margin for error in conference play. Say we had beaten Clemson this year (or played UNC instead), even with the SECG loss we probably are in at 11-2 with h2h advantage over 11-1 Bama who had no impressive OOC wins.

59 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Keenan Stadium and Chapel Hill were great destinations when I went there to see us beat them up in '88 - I hope that has not changed. True, App State area is even prettier but it's like visiting a community college. UNC alumni/fans generally lack delusional Vandy/Duke belittling & uninformed academic attitudes and I love beating the ACC. UNC is one of our odder overall losing records (2 - 4, including a loss last time we played in 2001) bring 'em on! 

Been hoping we would get a neutral field game in Charlotte.....great stadium and  easy access for a great number of Auburn people....like me for example...:)

3 hours ago, Planner4Hire said:

Ha, if you ever see Auburn football playing @ App State then we wound up with someone even more incompetent than Jacobs in the AD chair.  

40 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Ha, if you ever see Auburn football playing @ App State then we wound up with someone even more incompetent than Jacobs in the AD chair.  

Miami (FL) is currently in a 3 game series with them, playing in Boone last year.

3 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Chapel Hill is a nice town, I'm just not a fan; took classes there and wasn't overly impressed. Their fan base (and I know they're having a down year) is very much fair-weather fans. Talk to any UNC fan, it's basketball first, then women's basketball, and maybe football after that. They've spent some $$$ making Keenan nicer since you've visited, but still, the stadium wouldn't be packed.

App State, in my eyes, is nothing like a community college. It's only 30% smaller (in acreage) than Auburn and has almost 20,000 students. It seems very compact because of the mountains, but their fan base is pretty loyal for football; and with some of the weather they play their games in, you'd have to be. 

7 minutes ago, Planner4Hire said:

Miami (FL) is currently in a 3 game series with them, playing in Boone last year.

A two for one with a program who's home stadium is an hour away and they can't sell 65,000 seats? 

I've been to Boone a dozen times, it's a lovely place and App State is a lovely campus with a cute lil' stadium.  I stand by my previous statement...

6 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

A two for one with a program who's home stadium is an hour away and they can't sell 65,000 seats? 

I've been to Boone a dozen times, it's a lovely place and App State is a lovely campus with a cute lil' stadium.  I stand by my previous statement...

True. But they have the turnover chain, and that's something, right?

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I can respect that. I was a heartbeat away from attending App, and my wife went there, so I guess I'm biased. Still maintain Blacksburg would be a good spot for an away game.

Would Wake Forest not interest anyone? Haha.

16 hours ago, Planner4Hire said:

True. But they have the turnover chain, and that's something, right?

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I can respect that. I was a heartbeat away from attending App, and my wife went there, so I guess I'm biased. Still maintain Blacksburg would be a good spot for an away game.

Would Wake Forest not interest anyone? Haha.

I love Wake, lived near there and saw lots of their games.....but my last trip to an AU game there was a disaster.....so I'm still pushing for a game in Charlotte with UNC or NC State.

Saw AU play Va Tech in Blacksburg .....think we lost that game too......back in the Doug days so you know what that means.   

My son and son-in law are big UNC fans....but as someone noted above, their loyalty to football is far below basketball....more along somewhere after field hockey.   

Archived