Chip Lindsey

LKEEL75

55 minutes ago, Dan-0 said:

You're certainly entitled to your opinion but I think Chip's performance was a mixed bag overall this year considering the talent he had to work with. Yes, there were some great wins but there were three epic failures this year as well, the worst of which was probably the LSU game. I also think he got taken to the woodshed by Kirby in the SECCG.

I think we got physically whipped in the SECCG...not so much a problem with playcalling and scheme.  Could've used a week off between the IB and that game.  Other than the Clemson game I felt like the opportunities were there for players to make plays and for whatever reason they failed.  The staff can probably work better on preparing them.

the SEC-G reminded me of the old days of Amen Corner with UF, UGA and bama all coming in a string.   

uga had an advantage of playing Tech while we were playing a very team full of 5* athletes that play physical football.  Case in point KJ getting knocked out of the game.

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

You left out the yellow fonts....I'm hoping...

Makes me wonder why so many AU fans fall in love with the morally or ethically challenged members of the coaching ranks. Perhaps they like the thrill of constant NCAA and FBI investigations....wondering what might come next. :dunno:

Well most of the time if there is a proven name that is available and isn’t locked down by someone, there is some baggage. Some baggage is forgivable, some is not. 

If someone commented on these threads talking about wanting Saban, Swinney or Meyer, they would be laughed at and dismissed as pipe dreams because they are locked down by other schools. It’s not until one of them doing something unthinkable that they become available. Generally that’s a NCAA violation, loss of control accusation or bad history that comes up.

48 minutes ago, FullBloodedTiger91 said:

Well most of the time if there is a proven name that is available and isn’t locked down by someone, there is some baggage. Some baggage is forgivable, some is not. 

True....and there are a number of very forgivable schools out there who roll the dice on those guys...which is fine with me.   I just keep hoping that AU never gets so desperate to win ball game that it knowingly decides it will try to make those moral or ethical distinctions and hope it get's it right. JMO

12 minutes ago, AU64 said:

True....and there are a number of very forgivable schools out there who roll the dice on those guys...which is fine with me.   I just keep hoping that AU never gets so desperate to win ball game that it knowingly decides it will try to make those moral or ethical distinctions and hope it get's it right. JMO

Historically we’ve hired the young HC or up and coming guy so I don’t think we will atleast at HC. 

However, we have had great success with taking in players who have had issues in the past, so it’s not too insane to believe we could do the same with a coach. But guys like Briles are definitely off limits. 

That is where I am torn with Hugh Freeze. I think he would be a one and done as an assistant, but the impact would be huge to our success. The question is how would his presence on campus impact us on and off the field. The concerns are very valid!

I saw Justin's and others reports that Chip is on South Alabama's "interview list" and Chip was asked & denied interest Sunday so... is there an update? Of course part of having decent coordinators is they are on interview wish lists. A lot. In the case of Josh Heupel you can be a less than decent OC for half a season & have your O starters humiliated at home by Auburn but you get hired by a school with an undefeated team. But I digress..

8 minutes ago, FullBloodedTiger91 said:

Historically we’ve hired the young HC or up and coming guy so I don’t think we will atleast at HC. 

However, we have had great success with taking in players who have had issues in the past, so it’s not too insane to believe we could do the same with a coach. But guys like Briles are definitely off limits. 

That is where I am torn with Hugh Freeze. I think he would be a one and done as an assistant, but the impact would be huge to our success. The question is how would his presence on campus impact us on and off the field. The concerns are very valid!

True but of course, the risk is infinitely smaller.....things go wrong with a player...Duke or name a half dozen more recently departed from Auburn and the coach just gives the guys a bus ticket out of town.  Coaches and contracts are much more problematic when there is trouble and the effects can be long lasting.  

There are plenty of "good" guys out there if you look around so why even take the chance though I wonder if some schools are perhaps looking for a bargain price when they decide to buy damaged goods?     

4 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Chip isn't going to take the job if offered. IMO. I'd say its a "courtesy" interview. IMO.  

If any coach is to leave, who would you expect or none? 

From things I heard last off season my guess would be Horton, but I have heard nothing lately on that.....If that is the case we go all in on Dell McGee I hope

2 hours ago, AUDevil said:

I think we got physically whipped in the SECCG...not so much a problem with playcalling and scheme.  Could've used a week off between the IB and that game.  Other than the Clemson game I felt like the opportunities were there for players to make plays and for whatever reason they failed.  The staff can probably work better on preparing them.

Only problem I had with play calling in SECCG was what happened to those quick drag routes to Ryan Davis that we beat bamas blitz with a couple of times in the iron bowl? Seemed we had no answer for Georgia’s blitz.

15 minutes ago, AU64 said:

True but of course, the risk is infinitely smaller.....things go wrong with a player...Duke or name a half dozen more recently departed from Auburn and the coach just gives the guys a bus ticket out of town.  Coaches and contracts are much more problematic when there is trouble and the effects can be long lasting.  

There are plenty of "good" guys out there if you look around so why even take the chance though I wonder if some schools are perhaps looking for a bargain price when they decide to buy damaged goods?     

Oh no doubt about the player vs coach deal.

I would guess that most of the time, a school wants to get on the map or get back on the map. When Petrino left Arkansas, he became the ethical/moral risk. But, because he’s a great coach, someone was bound to take that shot. And each time he gets rehired by someone else, that perceived risk drops, atleast with the media. 

Kendal Briles has his dad as a scapegoat. He is fortunate for that. I don’t know his involvement, but his dad being the scapegoat allowed him to get Hired by Kiffin at FAU. Kiffin knows how it goes and the media railed them for a few months and now it’s gone. Now, if a P5 job hired him in coaching capacity in the next year or so, they will get heat as well. It may be bias, but Auburn is one of the schools that would get blasted all year. Likely due to UAT and our “Family” oriented advertisement.

I do agree with you overall though. I just think that sometimes the hunger/pressure to win outweighs the pros/cons argument. Gotta win at all cost mentality. I do feel comfortable saying that Art Briles will never coach again in FBS football.

12 minutes ago, FullBloodedTiger91 said:

I do agree with you overall though. I just think that sometimes the hunger/pressure to win outweighs the pros/cons argument. Gotta win at all cost mentality. I do feel comfortable saying that Art Briles will never coach again in FBS football.

I think that's true....and there is a new morality now....maybe it's mostly related to politics and entertainment but as lots of guys are finding out, the past is never passed....and things that happened 10 or 20 or 30 years ago can be brought up and rehashed as if it happened yesterday.  

Nobody cared about FAU and even here we joked that Kiffen and K Briles were a good pair for a school that had no media following and not much to lose by hiring them.    Might be that if KB stays out of trouble.....which there is no reason to think he won't ...at some point the Baylor stuff won't haunt him unless someone does to him what was done to Schiano recently.    I'm hoping he sticks with Kiffen and has enough success to put the past in the past.

Archived