Alabama State Championships (Viewing Info & Games thread)

ellitor

Alabama Super 7 championships schedule, times, TV channels

7A: McGill-Toolen Catholic (13-0) vs. Hoover (10-3)

Game time: Wednesday, 7 p.m. CT / 8 p.m. ET

Where: Bryant-Denny Stadium, Tuscaloosa (Ala.)

TV/Online streaming: WTVM Auburn/Opelika/Phenix City, WBRC Birmingham, WAFF Huntsville, WSFA Montgomery/Dothan, WDFX Dothan

Live stats: Beginning Wednesday here.

6A: Wetumpka (13-1) vs. Pinson Valley (14-0)

Game time: Friday, 7 p.m. CT / 8 p.m. ET

Where: Bryant-Denny Stadium, Tuscaloosa (Ala.)

TV/Online streaming: WTVM Auburn/Opelika/Phenix City, WBRC Birmingham, WAFF Huntsville, WSFA Montgomery/Dothan, WDFX Dothan

Live stats: Beginning Friday here.

5A: St. Paul’s Episcopal (14-1) vs. Briarwood Christian (14-0)

Game time: Thursday, 7 p.m. CT / 8 p.m. ET

TV/Online streaming: WTVM Auburn/Opelika/Phenix City, WBRC Birmingham, WAFF Huntsville, WSFA Montgomery/Dothan, WDFX Dothan

Live stats: Beginning Thursday here.

4A: UMS-Wright (12-2) vs. Fayette County (12-2)

Game time: Friday, 11 a.m. CT / Noon ET

Live stats: Beginning Friday here.

3A: Hillcrest-Evergreen (13-1) vs. Randolph County (13-1)

Game time: Thursday, 11 a.m. CT / Noon ET

2A: Leroy (12-2) vs. Lanett (14-0)

Game time: Friday, 3 p.m. CT / 4 p.m. ET

Live stats: Beginning Friday here.

1A: Pickens Co. (12-2) vs. Sweet Water (13-1)

Game time: Thursday, 3 p.m. CT / 4 p.m. ET

5 players to watch

4-star 2019 QB Bo Nix, Pinson Valley (Ala.)

The performance Bo Nix put on in the third round to beat the Asa Martin-led Auburn squad was one of the best of the Alabama high school season. He tossed 7 touchdown passes in a come-from-behind victory. Pinson Valley is undefeated, and the top quarterback prospect in the state for the 2019 class is a big reason why. Nix has been a hot commodity in recruiting for the Class of 2019. Auburn is the heavy favorite because of his legacy connection, but programs such as Clemson, Georgia, LSU and Florida State are interested.

4-star CB Jalyn Armour-Davis, St. Paul’s Episcopal (Ala.)

Jalyn Armour-Davis has been one of the top college prospects in the state since his freshman year of high school. Auburn was the first program to show interest, but the Tigers weren’t close to being the last. Eventually, Alabama swooped in with a major need at cornerback, which sealed the deal for the Crimson Tide. Armour-Davis is the No. 115-ranked overall prospect in the country, so it’s no wonder his high school team will compete for a state title this week.

3-star RB Kavosiey Smoke, Wetumpka (Ala.)

Here is one of the biggest risers in Alabama during the Class of 2018. Kavosiey Smoke is ranked just inside the top 700 prospects nationally for the 2018 class. He has been a visitor at the two big in-state programs — Auburn and Alabama — this season, but neither program has offered. That’s allowed several out-of-state Power 5 schools to enter Alabama to check out the 6-foot, 210-pound running back. Smoke holds offers from Missouri, South Carolina, Georgia Tech, Connecticut and Virginia Tech.

4-star 2019 safety Trikweze Bridges, Lanett (Ala.)

Trikweze Bridges will undoubtedly be one of the most fought-after prospects in the 2019 class. He’s a top-250 player who stands 6-foot-3 and 175 pounds. Bridges already holds offers from Alabama, Florida, Louisville and Georgia Tech. He will likely pick up an offer from Auburn at some point, if he hasn’t already just elect not to announce it publicly. Bridges has attended multiple Auburn games this fall, so the two sides are mutually one each other’s radar. Alabama secondary coach is recruiting Bridges heavily, as well.

4-star 2019 WR George Pickens & 3-star 2018 WR Shedrick Jackson, Hoover (Ala.)

Here’s a 2-for-1 special for Auburn fans to check out in Tuscaloosa on Wednesday night. Jackson and Pickens are both committed to the Tigers and are in line to lead Hoover to yet another state championship. Hoover topped McGill-Toolen in last year’s state title in Jordan-Hare Stadium. Jackson and Pickens will play a big role in the repeat this time around. Jackson plans to enroll at Auburn in January. Pickens is the lone piece in Auburn’s 2019 class so far.

Specific in-state market info

Auburn, Opelika, Phenix City

WTVM 9.2 (Bounce) carries AHSAA programming on:

Cable TV of East Alabama (Phenix City) Chl 30

Charter in Auburn and Columbus, Channel 140 or 108 in some areas

WOW (Knology) Columbus, Lanett, West Point, Valley, on Channel 170

WOW (Knology) Auburn on Channel 60

Mediacom Columbus Channel 81

Momentum TEL Auburn Channel 9.2

Citizens Cable Warwick (GA) Channel 66014 or 104

Birmingham area

WBRC 6.2 (Bounce) carries AHSAA programming on:

Bright House Networks:
Birmingham Metro Area Channel 226

Charter Communications:
Birmingham Metro Area Channel 81 (May appear as 6.2)
Cullman Channel 174
Carrollton Channel 117
Gordo Channel 117
Kennedy Channel 117
Greensboro Channel 81

Northland Cable:
Aliceville Channel 117
Millport Channel 117
Jasper Channel 81
Leeds/Moody Channel 81
Reform Channel 117
Northport Channel 81
Sylacauga Channel 81
Talladega Channel 81
Tuscaloosa Channel 220
Oneonta Channel 85
Blountsville Channel 85
Cleveland Channel 85
Snead Channel 85

Comcast Cable:
Gadsden Channel 220
Otelco Blount County Channel 85

Coosa Cable:
Odenville Channel 274

Mediacom:
Greensboro Channel 81

Dothan area

WDFX 34.2 (Bounce) carries AHSAA programming on:

WOW! 202
Time Warner 308
Comcast 220

Mobile, AL

WKRG .3 (Me TV) carries AHSAA programming on:

Comcast – 177
Cox – 699
Mediacom – 81

All games are also available to everyone on youtube

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since I have to work the AU basketball game tonight I will go ahead and embed the Hoover (featuring AU WR commits Shed Jackson & Pickens)-McGill Toolen 7A Championship Game.

I'm afraid we are going to freeze our Chestnuts off tonight. Should be a good game. GP is the real deal. He has overshadowed SJ a little but they are a great 1-2 combination. Hard to defend both of them.

Watching the 7A State champ game. The kid looks good and blocks great on the perimeter. Gus will like that...lol. wde

48-20.  Good game by both future Tigers.  Hoover is just a machine.  More quality players and better coaching then any team in the state and very few in the country could rival them.  

Congrats to my long time friend.  Coach Josh Niblett.  

Auburn commits star in Hoover's championship game win

Two Auburn commits are now state champions -- and each came up big.

Keith Niebuhr -

Title/Alt Text
Auburn commits George Pickens and Shedrick Jackson. (Photo: Keith Niebuhr , 247Sports)

It was a big night for Hoover (Ala.) -- and two of the program's top players.

Hoover won the Class 7A state championship 48-20 over Mobile (Ala.) McGill-Toolen on Wednesday night in Tuscaloosa. And in that game, Auburn receiver commits Shedrick Jackson and George Pickens went off.

Jackson, a 3-star senior, had six catches for 160 yards and two touchdowns. Pickens, a 4-star 2019 recruit, caught two passes -- both touchdowns -- for 61 yards.

One of Jackson's touchdowns covered 70 yards. One of Pickens' went for 54.

Worth noting: Auburn coach Gus Malzahn, offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey and receivers coach Kodi Burns were on hand to watch.

"It’s unreal," Jackson told AuburnUndercover.com on Thursday morning. "It was just an incredible feeling."

Here are highlights of the game from Al.com:

That St Paul's v Briarwood game was what a state championship game should be.  Both defenses came up big in key situations. St. Paul, after being behind for almost 3 quarters, converts on a 3rd down and 32 yards to go to set up a go ahead TD with under 2 minutes left in the game.  Briarwood moved the ball across the 50 but was unable to get much farther. St Paul's holds on to win 17-14.  

13 minutes ago, around4ever said:

That St Paul's v Briarwood game was what a state championship game should be.  Both defenses came up big in key situations. St. Paul, after being behind for almost 3 quarters, converts on a 3rd down and 32 yards to go to set up a go ahead TD with under 2 minutes left in the game.  Briarwood moved the ball across the 50 but was unable to get much farther. St Paul's holds on to win 17-14.  

I know there are probably fans of both schools on here but was really hoping both teams could lose.  

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

I know there are probably fans of both schools on here but was really hoping both teams could lose.  

Me too, haha. St paul whipped Beauregard after Webb went down early in the plzyoffs.

2 hours ago, corchjay said:

yah st pauls I got NO love for. Besides Tre Williams that school is bama to the core. Screw them. Still salty about JAD.

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

yah st pauls I got NO love for. Besides Tre Williams that school is bama to the core. Screw them. Still salty about JAD.

My opinions have to do with the qualification of fair play in the AHSAA.  If you are a “private” school (briarwood and St Paul) you can recruit to your school.  However you have to play up 2 divisions in class.  Everyone knows In sports especially in high school if you go out and get a very talented running back and QB you can win on those 2 players alone.  Same goes for a pitcher in baseball or a single player in basketball.  

If you want to recruit, play in a completely separate division is my opinion. 

I was recruited by Dr. Kinard in the 80s to go to Briarwood on a full scholarship to play baseball.  They were same class and same Area as my high school.  However we won 2 state championships during my days the tactics behind it were not “fair play”.  No way could my parents afford the tuition to Briarwood and I wanted to stay with my friends and family at my high school.  I declined but would have been a huge asset to their baseball and football teams.

Archived