Ole Miss being raided

AU64

Read the Harbaugh was at OM recruiting for Michigan....maybe after Patterson.     And it's hit the fan over some transfer restrictions that OM had imposed.....bad backlash from parents and now OM has basically opened it's doors to any player who wants to leave.....and allowing them to go wherever they wish.

https://sports.yahoo.com/initially-restricting-players-transfer-ole-miss-now-changes-tune-193032126.html

Luke's job just got infinitely more difficult.

The fact that OleMiss thought they could impose restrictions on those kids without repercussions is laughable.  The NCAA said the kids are free to go, period.

As expected. I knew once there was time to process everything that happened, a bunch of parents would decide that their sons would be better off elsewhere.

It will be interesting to see if the tweets of solidarity hold now.

I think this backfires on Harbaugh. It makes him look pathetic. It basically says "Ole Miss is a more prestigious than Michigan, so I need their cast offs." Given Harbaugh can't beat tOSU, and has is 1-2 against his cross-state rival MSU, he looks like the second best coach in Michigan after Dantonio.

I think the long knives will come out for Harbaugh if he has another mediocre year. I cannot imagine the Michigan fan base is more tolerant of mediocre coaching than SEC schools.

Instead of trying to get Ole Miss' scraps, Harbaugh should be out recruiting Meyer and Dantonio.

46 minutes ago, meh130 said:

I think this backfires on Harbaugh. It makes him look pathetic. It basically says "Ole Miss is a more prestigious than Michigan, so I need their cast offs." Given Harbaugh can't beat tOSU, and has is 1-2 against his cross-state rival MSU, he looks like the second best coach in Michigan after Dantonio.

I think the long knives will come out for Harbaugh if he has another mediocre year. I cannot imagine the Michigan fan base is more tolerant of mediocre coaching than SEC schools.

Instead of trying to get Ole Miss' scraps, Harbaugh should be out recruiting Meyer and Dantonio.

Actually Harbaugh is a good coach I think but he is another example of what happens when a good team with a serious schedule does not have a decent quarterback.      In recent years we've watched Auburn, Florida, FSU and Michigan among others go in the toilet when they had QB problems.    In fact as I think about it, most HCs who got pushed out or fired this year were in trouble because they did  not solve their  QB problems.  

Harbaugh and Michigan were a quarterback away from several wins this year and guess he's willing to show a little humility and try to get a guy who can immediately get them over the hump.....that' being Patterson.    I sure don't blame him...

1 hour ago, meh130 said:

I think this backfires on Harbaugh. It makes him look pathetic. It basically says "Ole Miss is a more prestigious than Michigan, so I need their cast offs."

I don't think anyone would say Baylor is a more prestigious program than Auburn, but I think we've done pretty well with one of their "castoffs". Only difference in situations is our "castoff" took a year off before coming to Auburn.

2 hours ago, meh130 said:

If I were a coach, I wouldn't look at it that way at all.  I'd be thinking more along the lines of, "Is there a player or two at Ole Miss that can fill immediate needs on my roster?"  It's not like he's going to take the entire Ole Miss roster and replace the players at Michigan.  I'm sure there are a few positions at Ole Miss where their starter is better than his counterpart at Michigan (e.g., QB).

47 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

If I were a coach, I wouldn't look at it that way at all.  I'd be thinking more along the lines of, "Is there a player or two at Ole Miss that can fill immediate needs on my roster?"  It's not like he's going to take the entire Ole Miss roster and replace the players at Michigan.  I'm sure there are a few positions at Ole Miss where their starter is better than his counterpart at Michigan (e.g., QB).

Patterson  and maybe one of those big WRs that OM has been coming up with lately.   JMO but if Michigan had Patterson this year they might be the Big 10 team getting screwed by the playoff  committee..:)..

Ole Ross Byork (sp) put out today a reminder that schools contacting players with multiple years of playing time left and that player has not asked to be released by Ole Miss, then said school poaching is in violation of some NCAA rule and Ole Miss would be Tattle Telling. Patterson, Van Jefferson and one other have asked for permission to talk to Michigan and been granted permission by Ole Miss.

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

Actually Harbaugh is a good coach I think but he is another example of what happens when a good team with a serious schedule does not have a decent quarterback.      In recent years we've watched Auburn, Florida, FSU and Michigan among others go in the toilet when they had QB problems.    In fact as I think about it, most HCs who got pushed out or fired this year were in trouble because they did  not solve their  QB problems.  

Harbaugh and Michigan were a quarterback away from several wins this year and guess he's willing to show a little humility and try to get a guy who can immediately get them over the hump.....that' being Patterson.    I sure don't blame him...

They were very unlucky last year. Over the first half of 2016 I feel like they were the best team in the county.

20 hours ago, meh130 said:

They arent getting ole miss scraps by any standard.  They would be getting division 1 players from an SEC school.  Those arent scraps at all.   Besides arent scraps what someone else DOESN'T want?  Ole Miss wanted them and thought they were division 1 /:SEC caliber players.   Michigan apparently feels the same way.    Scraps? Not even remotely close. 

I imagine many schools would want Patterson at QB, Harbaugh was just the first to jump on him.  Early bird gets the worm I guess.

On 12/6/2017 at 10:05 AM, AU64 said:

Read the Harbaugh was at OM recruiting for Michigan....maybe after Patterson.     And it's hit the fan over some transfer restrictions that OM had imposed.....bad backlash from parents and now OM has basically opened it's doors to any player who wants to leave.....and allowing them to go wherever they wish.

https://sports.yahoo.com/initially-restricting-players-transfer-ole-miss-now-changes-tune-193032126.html

Luke's job just got infinitely more difficult.

Maybe on the FB field, but seems to me he just got a pass for a few years and might have a fair amount of job security until they are off probation and making true inroads to rebuilding.

23 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

Maybe on the FB field, but seems to me he just got a pass for a few years and might have a fair amount of job security until they are off probation and making true inroads to rebuilding.

I agree that OM admin might take it easy on him but it will be no fun as the HC to have to play with all those reduced schollys and get your butt beat week after week.    I watched what happened to USCw and they had much more drawing power as for the quality of their athletes. 

Job security might be pretty good for a while.....but job satisfaction is gonna require some real positive thinking for him and his staff. 

2 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

I imagine his trips to the bank will help with the job satisfaction.

That might work for a while....but money provides satisfaction for only so long.    He has a real job ahead to get his coaches and players to keep their heads up through the first few seasons ....especially if a number of players leave...... he does not have the means to replace them easily.

Far as I know, he had nothing to do with the violations......he just happens to be the guy who is trying to sort it out....

What will truly p**** me off is for Freeze to end up with an OC job somewhere with a good salary though it would seem that he might be one of the coaches with the "show cause" hanging over him. 

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

What will truly p**** me off is for Freeze to end up with an OC job somewhere with a good salary though it would seem that he might be one of the coaches with the "show cause" hanging over him. 

Freeze should be working the overnight shift at a Tastee-Freez (old timers I think will remember them) I think a few have survived over the years.

13 minutes ago, AU64 said:

He does have something akin to a show cause, but it's only for head coaching positions.

1 hour ago, AuGrad2004 said:

Unless the players are seniors they still have to sit out a year correct?

That's how I understand it. May be worth it.

On 12/7/2017 at 3:58 PM, lionheartkc said:

That's how I understand it. May be worth it.

I only bring it up because I keep reading peole saying Shae Patterson could be immediate help to someone.  He'd have to sit a year.  Only the seniors would be immediate help

27 minutes ago, AUFlyer99 said:

Patterson announced today he's headed to Michigan.  

He might regret that decision when he gets up there. It is bitterly cold for almost 9 months out of the year and it's....Michigan. I hope it's worth the big change he's making.

Archived