Future look of SEC

aubaseball

With all the changes taking place with Head Coaches around the league and with AU having to play GA twice, I thought about a realignment for the SEC.   This is of course completely fictional and would never happen.  After dealing with GA fans this past weekend, I got to thinking of somehow making their journey to the championship a little more challenging and up the level of the west division.  

West Division           East Division 

Alabama                     Kentucky 

Auburn                        FSU 

LSU                               Florida 

Ole Miss                      Miami 

Miss ST                       Clemson 

Vandy.                          USC

GA                                  Tennessee 

Adding Clemson, FSU and Miami and dropping Mizzou and aTM, eh?  Probably need to add Georgia Tech and Louisville and make it a true "southeastern" conference.  Also need to figure out how to jettison the Hogs along with the other Tigers and Aggies back to the SWC, er, Big XII.

Switch it to North/South:

North Division           South Division 

Arkansas                     TA&M

Tennessee                   Alabama

Kentucky                     Miss St

Missouri                      Auburn

Ole Miss                       Georgia

Vandy.                          Florida

SC                                  LSU

2 minutes ago, ScubaSteve said:

That would be a gauntlet for the south division....

12 minutes ago, ScubaSteve said:

Wow!  The SEC North would be the worst division in all of sports!

And the SEC South would rival a few NFL divisions!  (Dirty Dan will have UF back up soon) and Jimbo should do well at Tam. 

Can't see us adding anymore Florida teams. UF would be pissed and we already have their market. Now Virginia, North Carolina...that's different. 

There has to be some semblance of balance or you end up the like B10.  Wisc is basically alone in their division while all the perennial B10 teams are with OSU in their division.

Black Division                         Blue  Division

bama                                          Auburn

LSU                                              UGA

Florida                                        TAMU

USC                                             Miss St

Tenn                                            Vandy

Miss                                             Arky                 

UK.                                                 MO (switch with Tech)

Ga Tech

noteable:   The bama v UT rivalry isn't competitive.   Bama v Auburn isn't so much fun with their fan base poisoning stuff and destroying stuff - play them in ATL, keep the UGA and auburn rivalry, UT can still play Vandy yearly and bring Tech back.  UGA annual game stays with UF.  

Lots of great storylines 

Good god, the east-west B1G alignment is so horrible. I don’t care how bad the names were, the league at least had balance when it was Leaders-Legends.

7 hours ago, The Plainsman said:

West- Auburn, Bama, LSU, Ole Miss, Miss St, Arkansas,Texas AM, Missouri. 

East- Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vandy, North Carolina, Duke, Virginia. 

The east is still a joke but that is more realistic than some. Accidentally forgot UK and I would switch Virginia tech with Virginia 

12 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Wow!  The SEC North would be the worst division in all of sports!

And the SEC South would rival a few NFL divisions!  (Dirty Dan will have UF back up soon) and Jimbo should do well at Tam. 

I envision South teams paying lots of coaches' buyouts.

We just need to swap with Tennessee...solves the bama/UT rivalry issue and UT can be UGA's permanent rival.

East

UF, uga, AU, UK, Vandy, Mo, USCe

West

uat, Tenn, Arky, TAMU, LSU, OM, MSU

I spent more time than I care to admit trying to think of an alternative alignment. 

If we keep the current teams:
East: Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Vandy, Missouri, Ole Miss, South Carolina
West: Georgia, Florida, LSU, Arkansas, Kentucky, A&M, Miss State
(I'm aware the East/West distinction doesn't make sense geographically, but whatever)

But if we wanna really up the competition...

If we get rid of SEC snoozer teams:
East:
Georgia, Florida, Miami, Georgia Tech, Clemson, Ole Miss, Miss State
West: Auburn, Alabama, Kentucky, Louisville, LSU, A&M, Tennessee
(I kept Kentucky for basketball purposes...)

My suggestion is far more dramatic.  Add a few teams (as suggested by some) to both SEC East and West.  Then split them into two divisions.  Georgia would now be out of conference.  Couple this with an eight team playoff (add a game) and pluck the top division winners for CFP.  Adding teams to both would give SECE and SECW the required number of opponents.  Miami, Clemson and Florida State would all be good candidates for SECE (snicker.) Yes, massive realignment.

I just don't want Auburn in the East. Sure, we'd get an easier road to the SECCG but we'd also be annually picked on for playing no one except Bama/Georgia (if we were able to keep Bama) and not getting the respect we may/may not deserve.

Georgia had to remain undefeated for 90% of their season to really earn respect.

5 minutes ago, Linayus said:

I just don't want Auburn in the East. Sure, we'd get an easier road to the SECCG but we'd also be annually picked on for playing no one except Bama/Georgia (if we were able to keep Bama) and not getting the respect we may/may not deserve.

Georgia had to remain undefeated for 90% of their season to really earn respect.

Playing no one doesn't seem to matter to the Playoff Committee even though it is supposed to be a criteria.  I'll take the easier route.  Or just separate uga and uat by a few weeks. 

11 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Playing no one doesn't seem to matter to the Playoff Committee even though it is supposed to be a criteria.  I'll take the easier route.  Or just separate uga and uat by a few weeks. 

I'm 100% behind moving Georgia up a week or two on our schedule. Losing to Georgia almost guarantees a loss to Bama in our current situation and winning against Georgia doesn't make beating Bama any easier. lol

16 hours ago, ScubaSteve said:

Swap ole miss and Auburn we good to go.:hellyeah::hellyeah::bananadance:

If you want to make the SEC more competitive make Saban play by the same rules every team has to or supposed to play by.

The only problem is it will never happen with Saban's suck buddy Emmert still in charge of the ncaa.

I like this:

East                                                                West

Auburn                                                          Bammer

UGA                                                                LSU

UT                                                                   Ark.

Vandy                                                            TAMU

UF                                                                   Mizzou

UK                                                                   MSU                   

USC                                                                Ole Miss

We should have been placed in the East when TAMU & Mizzou joined the big dance. From a logistic standpoint, this makes excellent sense and balances out the conference.  A clean swap of Auburn to the East and Mizzou to the West makes perfect sense.  With all of the new coaches coming into the SEC, a balanced division works for all teams in the conference. We keep bammer as our every year team from the west, this solves all of the problems one may have against doing this. I cannot find any reason why not to do this.

I would love to see us play bammer the 1st game of the season once every 3 seasons just to mix it up some.

^You’d still probably have to have one permanent inter division opponent though, which would still mean going forever without playing six teams. I mean, it’d still be better than what we have now. I stand by the 3-5/5 schedule.

8 hours ago, Linayus said:

I'm 100% behind moving Georgia up a week or two on our schedule. Losing to Georgia almost guarantees a loss to Bama in our current situation and winning against Georgia doesn't make beating Bama any easier. lol

Sometimes tradition rears its ugly head when common sense should rule the day. I say we play Uga the first SEC game of the season if or  when we move to the SEC East.

9 hours ago, Linayus said:

I do not understand why you would not want Auburn in the East. This makes perfect sense and finally addresses the logistic as well as the just plain old common sense angle of doing this. We keep bammer as our permanent west foe. I miss the UT game that used to be our 1st SEC game of the season for decades. I am sure UT fans miss this game as well. Will this ever happen? I think in the next 5 years it will be addressed and resolved like it should be. 

15 hours ago, doc4aday said:

I do not understand why you would not want Auburn in the East. This makes perfect sense and finally addresses the logistic as well as the just plain old common sense angle of doing this. We keep bammer as our permanent west foe. I miss the UT game that used to be our 1st SEC game of the season for decades. I am sure UT fans miss this game as well. Will this ever happen? I think in the next 5 years it will be addressed and resolved like it should be. 

Okay - take your scenario where Auburn and Mizzou swap.

1. Bama fans: "Auburn couldn't handle competing in the West so they lobbied to move to the garbage East division!" (and many unpleasant varieties of the same) :puke:

2. I personally prefer the LSU rivalry over any East division "rivalry" outside of Georgia. LSU > Florida in my personal opinion.

3. Outside of Florida, Tennessee, and Georgia - I think the rest of the East is traditionally garbage. I'd rather we play Ole Miss, Miss State, and Arkansas each year who have at least been somewhat relevant and bowl eligible.

4. We'd have to play Bama twice and possibly back to back unless we no longer play them as the final regular season game.

Just my opinion!

1 hour ago, Linayus said:

Okay - take your scenario where Auburn and Mizzou swap.

1. Bama fans: "Auburn couldn't handle competing in the West so they lobbied to move to the garbage East division!" (and many unpleasant varieties of the same) :puke:

2. I personally prefer the LSU rivalry over any East division "rivalry" outside of Georgia. LSU > Florida in my personal opinion.

3. Outside of Florida, Tennessee, and Georgia - I think the rest of the East is traditionally garbage. I'd rather we play Ole Miss, Miss State, and Arkansas each year who have at least been somewhat relevant and bowl eligible.

4. We'd have to play Bama twice and possibly back to back unless we no longer play them as the final regular season game.

Just my opinion!

You do make a lot of sense my friend. I doubt anything will change any time soon so we can all have fun mixing and matching!  I used to look forward to having our first SEC game with UT. This set the tone for the season in many ways. I loved out Florida game a lot as well. If we do move to the east, we could play bammer the first game of the season. I know a lot of folks will balk on this, but if we win the east and bammer does the same in the west, we face off again for all of the marbles.

Look for the east to regain some of its prowess in the future and having us there could go a long way in getting it back on par with the west.

Archived