Back to Back 10 win Seasons

aujeff11

We already recruit well, we are developing quality depth, and we have finally ensured coaching staff stability, so according to Rod Bramblett on the Roundtable, the next step for Gus to take is to develop consistency. Can we finally get back to back 10 win seasons? I believe once we start being more consistent, that’s when the recruiting really kicks off. 

Just looking at the schedule, a win against Washington sets up a huge opportunity to meet the 10 win mark. All we would have to do then is win the ones we should win and win one of LSU/UGA/Bama. I think this is the year we have back to back 10 seasons. 

Sept. 1: vs. Washington (in Atlanta)
Sept. 8: vs. Alabama State
Sept. 15: vs. LSU
Sept. 22: vs. Arkansas
Sept. 29: vs. Southern Miss
Oct. 6: at Mississippi State
Oct. 13: vs. Tennessee
Oct. 20: at Ole Miss
Nov. 3: vs. Texas A&M
Nov. 10: at Georgia
Nov. 17: vs. Liberty
Nov. 24: at Alabama

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed. Hard not to love *everything* about that schedule up until Amen Corner, and hard not to imagine that UGA takes a step back after losing a bunch of experience this offseason. 

Edit: Idiot confession, I just remembered that TAMU has Jimbo now. I'm worried about that. I'd rather face them early and LSU late than vice versa. 

8 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

We already recruit well, we are developing quality depth, and we have finally ensured coaching staff stability, so according to Rod Bramblett on the Roundtable, the next step for Gus to take is to develop consistency. Can we finally get back to back 10 win seasons? I believe once we start being more consistent, that’s when the recruiting really kicks off. 

Just looking at the schedule, a win against Washington sets up a huge opportunity to meet the 10 win mark. All we would have to do then is win the ones we should win and win one of LSU/UGA/Bama. I think this is the year we have back to back 10 seasons. 

My biggest concern is LSU.  They found their groove and could be a force next year. It really all depends on how well they can rebuild their D and if Guice declares for the draft.  Otherwise, you're right... that may be the easiest SEC slate we've faced in a long time.

Does anyone know anything about Browning's back-up at Washington? I'm assuming he's going to go early, since he's pretty highly ranked in the draft, and his back-up this year is transferring. If Browning decides to go for one more year, it that first game could be a heck of a test.

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Agreed. Hard not to love *everything* about that schedule up until Amen Corner, and hard not to imagine that UGA takes a step back after losing a bunch of experience this offseason. 

Schedule looks really nice. Almost too nice.

I don’t take the games that we should win too lightly because anything can happen, but Tennessee, Texas A&M, Moo State, and Arkansas will have new HC’s and I doubt Southern Miss will be much of a threat.  

We need to be opportunistic. 

18 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

10 win regular seasons should be expected now.

wde

While I want to agree everything that you said, we need to prove we are capable of going back to back double digit wins before we can start expecting to do so.

31 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I don't know Jeff. That Liberty game looks pretty tough.:poke:

That Washington game has me concerned. They are a quality team with an outstanding HC. 

It will be the opening game and we will be:

-> replacing 4 of 5 on the O line

-> replacing almost all of the back end of the D  and Washington loves to throw deep

-> replacing the best MLB we’ve had in several years

-> plus likely without JH, some RBs, and others.

Don’t want to be a Debbie Downer, but the games is likely a toss up.

Will Washington start a new QB in that game? That's a big part of it as well.

32 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

My biggest concern is LSU.  They found their groove and could be a force next year. It really all depends on how well they can rebuild their D and if Guice declares for the draft.  Otherwise, you're right... that may be the easiest SEC slate we've faced in a long time.

Does anyone know anything about Browning's back-up at Washington? I'm assuming he's going to go early, since he's pretty highly ranked in the draft, and his back-up this year is transferring. If Browning decides to go for one more year, it that first game could be a heck of a test.

I don’t think LSU should be a problem.  The biggest problem for LSU next year will be having a rookie QB starting the season.  I would thing Guice declares just because LSU’s offense will be one dimensional, at least at the beginning of the season.  Another reason for the optimism is we get them in the 3rd week of the season in JH.

Washington concerns me because Gus has historically started the season slow.  I’m optimistic as for just the 2nd time in Gus’ career he as a returning QB.

The 1st and 3rd games are an absolute must. Barring injuries, the rest of the schedule looks ripe for picking. With the talent we're presuming to have returning if we don't roll into Amen Corner undefeated or at worst a one loss team, then something is wrong. 

Kind of worried about Washington to start the year. Browning is almost a lock to come back as their backup senior QB is grad transferring out next year. He's a solid QB and with our new safeties I'm worried about our pass D. Add on top of that we never start out the year strong and it takes 3-4 games to hit our stride that first game is anything but easy. 

59 minutes ago, JoeinPF said:

replacing 4 of 5 on the O line

Harrell played a ton this season and will start, Tega will start, and Mike Horton has playing time as well and should start. RT and C will be the two with question marks.

replacing almost all of the back end of the D  and Washington loves to throw deep

Agree with this but thankfully they gave Daniel Thomas a lot of playing time this season, on purpose.

replacing the best MLB we’ve had in several years

LB is one of the positions I'm least worried about, Deshaun and Darrell did extremely well this year and Monty Atkinson should get more playing time next season as well.

plus likely without JH, some RBs, and others.

Holland seems like he might come back, probably just one RB though in Pettway. Just have a feeling KJ will be back. Carlton is gone though. 

10 minutes ago, AUTigergrad08 said:

For 7 million dollars, 10 win seasons should be the low end every year. 

In premise, I agree. One of the strings that comes attached to that money are the kinds of expectations that people have. Unreasonable, reasonable, it doesn't matter. As a coach, I think you need to understand or even expect that for most people, reasonable kind of goes out the door when you start talking about Top-5 money. 

Also, guys, I don't know where the heck I've been, but I didn't know until one minute ago that Nick Saban is getting paid more than $11 million dollars a year. I'm dumbfounded. I really thought it was somewhere closer to $8m. 

57 minutes ago, JoeinPF said:

That Washington game has me concerned. They are a quality team with an outstanding HC. 

It will be the opening game and we will be:

-> replacing 4 of 5 on the O line

-> replacing almost all of the back end of the D  and Washington loves to throw deep

-> replacing the best MLB we’ve had in several years

-> plus likely without JH, some RBs, and others.

Don’t want to be a Debbie Downer, but the games is likely a toss up.

Well , three of the potential starters for next year OL had multiple starts and playing time under their belt this year. Not the best scenario replacing 4 of 5 but only 2 of these will be first time starters.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

No information and just my thoughts, but he is not going anywhere.   He is too small and does not translate to NFL.  

Absolutely no excuse not to start 9-0...only couple decent teams we play, we get "at home" (Washington in Atlanta is a home game...then LSU at Jordan Hare).

I definitely think we're ripe for another 10 win season but we need to come out firing against Washington and LSU. Our team will be ranked top 10 in the preseason despite possibly losing a good bit of our offense and key starters on defense so hopefully that doesn't spell disaster for us as it has in the past.

I'd be surprised if we beat Washington in all honesty. I'd feel a lot better if Browning goes pro. But there are too many new parts at critical spots for us and our coach's track record shows September is usually a "throw it against the wall and see what sticks" month for him.

Also Herb probably won't get our best OL lineup out there for the first game he's also shown an inability to figure out his best unit prior to the season starting.

However, we have a stud QB HOPEFULLY returning and when you have one of those you always have a chance IMO.

15 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I'd be surprised if we beat Washington in all honesty. I'd feel a lot better if Browning goes pro. But there are too many new parts at critical spots for us and our coach's track record shows September is usually a "throw it against the wall and see what sticks" month for him.

Also Herb probably won't get our best OL lineup out there for the first game he's also shown an inability to figure out his best unit prior to the season starting.

However, we have a stud QB HOPEFULLY returning and when you have one of those you always have a chance IMO.

That's the thing. Gus has only had 1 QB (who he actually wanted to be his QB) return, and we absolutely- pardon the pun- hit the ground running that season. The main difference there is that we returned our starting center that season, and he was a really, really good one. 

Even with the turnover on OL, this is the season that Gus will need to put that rep to bed, assuming Stidham comes back.

Archived