First 7-1 Start

ClaytonAU

First 7-1 start since 2011 without Wiley or Purifoy. It's lit. I don't normally post in the basketball forum but I do watch every game and I genuinely love the team this year. We can make some noise going into SEC play.

Thoughts?

56 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

First 7-1 start since 2011 without Wiley or Purifoy. It's lit. I don't normally post in the basketball forum but I do watch every game and I genuinely love the team this year. We can make some noise going into SEC play.

Thoughts?

I'm with you 100% man!

We can be pretty damn good with all of our guys. Lack of size will hurt us in conference play (hopefully Wiley gets back) but I love the progression I'm seeing from the team as you can tell we are a year older. Still crazy young -- I think us and Kentucky have the highest number of underclassmen on the roster in the nation, but loving the progress and 7-1 couldn't be much better considering all the outside noise these kids have to deal with. Also I think last years team probably has a 4-3 record at this point.

2 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

Thoughts?

I have hoped and thought this the last two years.

How we react playing against a true Big Man without Wiley may bring us back down to earth.  I'm hoping this is the year for the breakout.  Love the improved Defensive effort and passing.  Fun to listen to. Haven't actually seen but one game.

Competition hasn't been that great, but AU hasn't played down to the level of their competition since the Barry exhibition. So far, no complaints about play, but still concerned how they will handle teams with decent size.

Even if it ends up not being a true "breakout" season, I think there is tangible progress here now that Bruce doesn't have to put  a bunch of freshman on the floor, and our freshman can be support guys instead of starters

I want to know what @cole256 thinks. He seems to see the intangibles better than most. He literally called what was going to be our Achilles heel. last year, before anyone else recognized it.

Well, the competition level is going to get better very soon. It’s so hard to get an accurate assessment of this squad as, quite frankly, we haven’t played anyone that we shouldn’t have beat. We’ve done well but will need Wiley and Purifoy badly come January. Hope it’s worked out by then.  

16 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Well, the competition level is going to get better very soon. It’s so hard to get an accurate assessment of this squad as, quite frankly, we haven’t played anyone that we shouldn’t have beat. We’ve done well but will need Wiley and Purifoy badly come January. Hope it’s worked out by then.  

I know it's hard to make the case that we don't need them ....but I do worry about chemistry if they are released to play.   

The guys playing now have already achieved an identity and style it seems......so wondering if  Wiley and DP have an automatic right to start and how they will merge with the team as it is right now. I know they are good individual talents...just  thinking from a team perspective....what do we gain?...and what do we lose?   

28 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I know it's hard to make the case that we don't need them ....but I do worry about chemistry if they are released to play.   

The guys playing now have already achieved an identity and style it seems......so wondering if  Wiley and DP have an automatic right to start and how they will merge with the team as it is right now. I know they are good individual talents...just  thinking from a team perspective....what do we gain?...and what do we lose?   

This is a good point. At least they’ve been practicing everyday and have stayed involved in everything but games. I realize practice isn’t the same as real game action but it’s better than nothing. 

Wiley supposedly could be back by January. Who knows on Purifoy though. Not a NCAA thing anymore, it seems.

13 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

Thoughts?

First thought: How in the world did a Barbee team start 7-1?

6 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

Wiley supposedly could be back by January. Who knows on Purifoy though. Not a NCAA thing anymore, it seems.

We really need Wiley in order to compete with teams who have a legit big man.  That’s our biggest weakness right now, IMHO.  If/when we get Wiley back, we have a real shot at being a good team. 

15 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

Huh?  I haven’t heard anything.  Unless it is the assumed pissing match between the AD and Pearl?

I'm not sure if it was the Italy trip or not, but this group seems to have their roles carved out and is embracing them. I do fear loss of some of that with the return of DP and AW. AW less, because he only fits at the 5 spot and wont cause much adjustment, but DP can fit in many different spots and will be more challenging to work into a rotation. 

Think we need them both if we are going to make a run, their ceiling is too high to not get them significant minutes, starting or not, but a challenge for CBP for sure. 

I have not been able to watch at all. But 8-1 is nice no matter how you slice it. Hope I get to see one soon. Not following suspensions or scandals either but the way it “seemed “ a few weeks ago, the players didn’t have a prayer. What has changed to make people feel they might be back? 

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 10:55 AM, JwgreDeux said:

I'm not sure if it was the Italy trip or not, but this group seems to have their roles carved out and is embracing them. I do fear loss of some of that with the return of DP and AW. AW less, because he only fits at the 5 spot and wont cause much adjustment, but DP can fit in many different spots and will be more challenging to work into a rotation. 

Think we need them both if we are going to make a run, their ceiling is too high to not get them significant minutes, starting or not, but a challenge for CBP for sure. 

AW is probably not a 30 minute player day in and day out and could be worked with Spencer and McLemore.   DP worries me however.....has generally not been a defensive contributor or rebounder though that's may be because he has been moved around.

The guys out there are playing with some attitude and it would be nice to see that continue.

2 hours ago, douggwilliams said:

I’m hearing bad things about DP coming back.  If we can get Wiley, I think we have a chance.  Lot of good teams in the SEC right now

That's too bad. Almost like DP just wasn't meant to be for AU.

What would be the difference if both sides took $$? You’d think either both would be eligible or neither would. Obviously I could have missed something though with all the crap that’s come out the past few weeks. 

Archived