IF.... The good guys had won...

LKEEL75

IF.... The good guys had won...  

78 members have voted

1. 1. If AU had won the SECCG... Would you take AU or the field to win the NC?

• Auburn!! (WDE)
    • The Field

I have been talking with a lot of AU fans it has been interesting to hear how many would not have expected AU to win the NC.  So I pose this to you great AU fans.  If AU had won, would you take AU or the field?  Forget who else would have made it in.  None of this, "well if OSU made it over Bama"...  I am just saying AU vs Field.  Who do you have?

I would have taken a healthy Auburn over anybody the way we were playing at the end of the season.  If we had a month to get well, we win that playoff.  I would have thought Oklahoma would give us the greatest challenge. I think all of college football knows it too.  If they truly chose the 4 best teams, we would be there regardless of that loss in the SEC and 3 losses overall.  I understand why we weren't selected, but we are one of the 4 best.

Auburn already beat bama. In what alternative universe is bama sent to the National Championship quarter finals? The whole system is corrupt and serves as proof that ESPN controls college football like "professional" wrestling. Theater and advertising supersedes sport.

The only way to get an honest national college football championship playoff is to have conference champions, and three at large bids for those who need to create wiggle room for non-power five conference champs.

3 minutes ago, TigerEyez13 said:

Auburn already beat bama. In what alternative universe is bama sent to the National Championship quarter finals? The whole system is corrupt and serves as proof that ESPN controls college football like "professional" wrestling. Theater and advertising supersedes sport.

The only way to get an honest national college football championship playoff is to have conference champions, and three at large bids for those who need to create wiggle room for non-power five conference champs.

If it was up to ESPN it would have been OSU

25 minutes ago, TigerEyez13 said:

Seriously.  We had our chance and didn't close the deal.  The committee absolutely selected the correct 4 teams for this year's CFP. 

Seriously hard to answer, because if we had made it in, we really don't know who the 4th team would have been.

I honestly think, looking at the top teams in the NCAA, every single game would have been a battle that could go either way. This year's team is A LOT better than the middle of the road teams, but it wasn't the kind of team that steamrolls all comers. Oklahoma and Clemson would both be very tough to beat.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

Seriously hard to answer, because if we had made it in, we really don't know who the 4th team would have been.

I honestly think, looking at the top teams in the NCAA, every single game would have been a battle that could go either way. This year's team is A LOT better than the middle of the road teams, but it wasn't the kind of team that steamrolls all comers. Oklahoma and Clemson would both be very tough to beat.

Definitely a hard question and that is why I asked it.  Wanted to see how the gate would swing.  Several I have talked to before posting the poll really didn't think we could beat OK and would be difficult to beat Clemson.

I think we beat Clemson, but not OU. I believe they're the team to beat this year. Living in Oklahoma, I see them play a lot. They just seem to have the "it" factor this year. 

5 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Oklahoma would throttle us. Watch what they do to Georgia and then Clemson.

That is what I expect AND what I am hoping for.

1 hour ago, LKEEL75 said:

Definitely a hard question and that is why I asked it.  Wanted to see how the gate would swing.  Several I have talked to before posting the poll really didn't think we could beat OK and would be difficult to beat Clemson.

I think our advantage over OU would be if we could frustrate Mayfield. I don't know what kind of a pass rush he faced this year, but Steele now knows he ticks from last year, so I have a feeling Holland could have made his life interesting and, since he obviously has trouble controlling his emotions, could have thrown him off his game.

Clemson grew just like we did. I think that would have been about as even of a match as anyone played this year.

16 minutes ago, The Freak said:

That is what I expect AND what I am hoping for.

I wouldn't be surprised if that is what happens, but for Mayfield's sake, I hope it doesn't. He needs a reality check before getting that other kind of check.

33 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I wouldn't be surprised if that is what happens, but for Mayfield's sake, I hope it doesn't. He needs a reality check before getting that other kind of check.

Agreed. I don't think it happens, but I wouldn't mind it happening. I WANT Clemson to win it all, but I don't see them doing that.

Just now, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Agreed. I don't think it happens, but I wouldn't mind it happening. I WANT Clemson to win it all, but I don't see them doing that.

I don't know if cousin Clem is ready to handle back-to-back championships. I hope their fans don't lose their charm entirely if the do win it all (I know what you Carolina residents are going to say... but they really aren't bad in the rest of the country).

1 hour ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Oklahoma would throttle us. Watch what they do to Georgia and then Clemson.

You guys don't think Ok has been given a free pass against strong defenses?

2 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

I know we had a great defense last year against them and looked average, and this year we had a great defense against a dynamic Clemson offense that doesn't hold a candle next to OK. Oklahoma is just a different level on offense.

2 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

Maybe, but do you remember how hard it was for our strong D to contain them last year? Not only is Mayfield strong and slippery, but their coach has one of the more creative playbooks out there. I think we'd do A LOT better against them this year, but I don't know that anyone is going to flat out handle them.

With the month off we would have everyone back.  Beating UGA and Bammer back to back was not an accident.  We were set up to win it all until the injuries and pure fatigue derailed us in the SECCG.  I have no doubt we would have gotten the ugly trophy.  

I had OU winning regardless - much to my own dismay. lol We could've gotten into a shoot-out with them healthy and maybe won with a late FG but I'm not sure anyone truly stops the Mayfield led offense this year.

I hope Clemson wins a close one against Bama and I hope OU beats the crap out of Georgia. lol

I'd take a healthy Auburn over the field. We lost to Clemson by only 8 points on their field and that was before we had all the bricks in place. I was really hoping for a Clem, AU, Okie, UAT foursome. It would have been great to whup both the DullDawgs and Cringin' Turds twice in one year.

24 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

I know we had a great defense last year against them and looked average, and this year we had a great defense against a dynamic Clemson offense that doesn't hold a candle next to OK. Oklahoma is just a different level on offense.

This

While we were playing our best ball at the end of the season we all need to step back and remember the beatdown they gave us in the bowl last year and how ridiculously stupid  Mayfield made our pass rush look last year. And they didn't lose much of anything off of that team.

No, make no mistake about it, we would have been in a war with Clemson and the winner would have been a coin flip. With a month to prepare Okie would make us look much worse than we are.

They WILL beat UGA by 3 TD's plus and then turn around and beat a battered Clemson team for all the marbles a week later.

Now with better special teams play and a 100% healthy Pettway AND KJ...we would have had a great chance.

But our ST's has been miserable all season long and an extra month is not enough time to have fixed all that was broken on our ST's.

39 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Maybe, but do you remember how hard it was for our strong D to contain them last year? Not only is Mayfield strong and slippery, but their coach has one of the more creative playbooks out there. I think we'd do A LOT better against them this year, but I don't know that anyone is going to flat out handle them.

Agreed, although I had it in mind we didn't play as hard, with our offense hobbled, and leaving the D on the field too long. Once the dam breaks, it doesn't matter what kind defense you have, as we saw Saturday night. But yes, Oklahoma tore us up.

Archived