2018 3* JuCo CB Benjie Franklin

ellitor

40 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

Seems kind of small to me. 6' 180# is not much for an SEC CB.

Javaris Davis is 5' 10" 185 lbs. I think in our S&C program he can put on 10-12 lbs and be at a pretty good weight.

I am guessing this is our backup plan to Savion Smith? A bit underwhelming, but he did have an offer from Oklahoma so I guess that's a good sign. 

7 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

I am guessing this is our backup plan to Savion Smith? A bit underwhelming, but he did have an offer from Oklahoma so I guess that's a good sign. 

We have to have some type of veteran experience at CB, especially if Carlton leaves. Right now, it's Jamel Dean and Javaris Davis, assuming Carlton leaves. Peters is probably the next guy on the list, but he might play Nickel, depending on what we do at S, which is also scary thin. There's a whole lot of unknown behind the two starting CBs right now.  

25 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

I am guessing this is our backup plan to Savion Smith?

Not necessarily. The staff wants 2 more CBs if possible & are evaluting CBs at all levels intensely. He may have gotten the offer even had we gotten SS.

17 minutes ago, boomstick said:

We have to have some type of veteran experience at CB, especially if Carlton leaves. Right now, it's Jamel Dean and Javaris Davis, assuming Carlton leaves. Peters is probably the next guy on the list, but he might play Nickel, depending on what we do at S, which is also scary thin. There's a whole lot of unknown behind the two starting CBs right now.  

Unless the staff is hardcore sold on this kid I'd rather wait til the grad transfer market basically opens up after the bowls & most of the coaching changes.

2 hours ago, boomstick said:

Peters won't be playing corner

13 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

Leonard is the freshman who saw time at CB this year. 

Broussard as well, but he will have to take a huge step next year.

8 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Broussard was a Sophomore in 2017. Not sure he has the cover skills to play CB. And he needs to gain about 25 lbs he can't weigh more than 170.

50 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

There is still time for Broussard , but it seems Leonard and Peters have passed him.

1 hour ago, JFDTiger80 said:

This Benji Franklin kid is ELECTRIC!

I see what you did there.

2 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

These highlights look good. Of course that’s why their highlights....

@bigbird, what are your thoughts on Benji as a prospect? (The CB, not the TV dog from the 80s)

He has a good back pedal and quick feet. He does a really good job of opening his hips when his cushion is closed.  He seems to play the ball like a receiver when it's in the air. When he is pressed up, I would like to see him use his hands a bit more, however he has a really good mirror steps.  There aren't many clips of him breaking on routes, so I can't comment on his closing speed.  He played a lot of routes with his eyes in the backfield which can be a hard habit to break. 

The kid is very talented, his film and stats reflects that.  He has quick feet, finishes the WRs routes, high points the ball and blitzes off the edge. In press man he never bails, he mirrors the WRs while watching the qb and ball. This was Revis's claim to fame before injuries slowed him up. I hope AU can pick him up, he will be a starter when the season starts. I think DB coach Brown will enjoy working with him.

Archived