Carlson Runner-up Again For Lou Groza Award

aufan57

Even though Daniel failed to win The Lou Groza Award, for the third consecutive year, all knowledgeable CFB fans know he is the nation's best placekicker. War Eagle, Daniel!

This really pisses me off. I have never cared more about a award for a kicker! Finalist for 3 straight years and does not win one time. O well!!! He will have the best NFL career out of any kicker out of the last several years!!! WAR DAMN DANIEL CARLSON!!! Thank you for all you have done for AU!! A true Auburn man.

13 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

This really pisses me off. I have never cared more about a award for a kicker! Finalist for 3 straight years and does not win one time. O well!!! He will have the best NFL career out of any kicker out of the last several years!!! WAR DAMN DANIEL CARLSON!!! Thank you for all you have done for AU!! A true Auburn man.

Right there with you on this one. 

Carlson pulled our butts outta the fire several times over his career.  I hate he didn't win but hope he gets drafted/picked up by an NFL team.  Maybe his little brother will pick up where Daniel left off!  WDE DC!!!

2017 Matt Gay, Utah Sr.  FGM/FGA = 27/31 (87.1%)  XPM/XPA = 37/37 (100%)  Total Points = 118

Career Stats:  {same as 2017} 

2017 Daniel Carlson, AU Sr  FGM/FGA = 21/28 (75%)  XPM/XPA = 54/54 (100%)  Total Points = 117

Career Stats:  FGM/FGA = 90/111 (81.1 %)  XPM/XPA = 195/195 (100%)  Total Points = 465

9 minutes ago, AUloggerhead said:

2017 Matt Gay, Utah Sr.  FGM/FGA = 27/31 (87.1%)  XPM/XPA = 37/37 (100%)  Total Points = 118

Career Stats:  {same as 2017} 

2017 Daniel Carlson, AU Sr  FGM/FGA = 21/28 (75%)  XPM/XPA = 54/54 (100%)  Total Points = 117

Career Stats:  FGM/FGA = 90/111 (81.1 %)  XPM/XPA = 195/195 (100%)  Total Points = 465

Gay was also 5-6 from 50+... and he didn’t miss 7 FGs.

Not sure why career statistics are relevant to the Lou Groza.

1 hour ago, aufan57 said:

Even though Daniel failed to win The Lou Groza Award, for the third consecutive year, all knowledgeable CFB fans know he is the nation's best placekicker. War Eagle, Daniel!

damn shame...it was those blocks that killed his percentage...but to not see his whole career and give it even for that..is ridiculous...

Daniel is one of the Best college kickers I have EVER seen. And one damn fine Human. Proud he represents all that is good at AU. 

26 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Gay was also 5-6 from 50+... and he didn’t miss 7 FGs.

Not sure why career statistics are relevant to the Lou Groza.

True.  Carlson was 4-7 from 50+.  Of the 7 misses he had, 2 were blocked.  Were they the result of the kicker or the (lack of) blocking. 

Career stats show consistency vs a flash-in-the-pan.  Career stats especially matter if they lead to the all-time SEC career points scored leader.  Just sayin ...

1 hour ago, AUloggerhead said:

True.  Carlson was 4-7 from 50+.  Of the 7 misses he had, 2 were blocked.  Were they the result of the kicker or the (lack of) blocking

It takes a team effort even to get individual performances recognized. Our FG unit let him down a couple times. 

I know you’re an Auburn homer but this year Matt Gay paced the nation in most major kicking stats and deserves the love. Our guy has had a longer career kicking FGs, but apparently Gay has a nice story behind him as he was a soccer player by trade before just recently walking on.

He led the nation in these kicking categories: 

Field goals made (27/school record)
Field goals made per game (2.25)
50+ yard field goals (5)
Field goals attempted (31/school record)

1 hour ago, AUloggerhead said:

Career stats especially matter

Not in an individual season award.

Do kickoffs factor into the award? I imagine the shortened kickoffs plus blocked kicks happening every other second hurt him.

Our blocking/return coverage on special teams had to be some of the worst, if not the worst period 

Unfortunately we just scored more TDs or at least got closer to the endzone ....

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

Not in an individual season award.

Well, they cited Carlson's previous accomplishments and his SEC points leading record in the write-up for being named a 2017 finalist:  Link

Carlson, a senior from Colorado Springs, Colorado, is the first player to ever be voted a finalist for the Groza three times. With 19 field goals this year, his career total stands at 88, tied for the second-most ever in a collegiate career. His 108 points, tied for third-most among FBS kickers this season, give him 460 for his career, the scoring record not only at Auburn but in SEC history. He is tied for 2nd in FBS this season with 4 field goals from over 50 yards, a total he has reached in each of the last three years. He has not missed an extra point in his career, an SEC record 191 straight attempts.

But, apparently it didn't carry enough weight. 

Are there any reports on how Anders has been doing during his RS year? What's the word on his potential? I hope having a big brother like Daniel doesn't end up mindscrewing him if he happens to miss some kicks early. I never like the idea of having a freshman kicker but at least he has a year seeing the action up close and personal under his belt.

Honestly, Daniel was lucky to even be a finalist this year. His FG stats just weren't that great compared to the rest of the field. In my opinion, he should've won last year. The year before that was against Aguayo who was just phenomenal in college (though his pro career has tanked). Daniel will have a stellar pro career though, I'm sure.

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Are there any reports on how Anders has been doing during his RS year? What's the word on his potential? I hope having a big brother like Daniel doesn't end up mindscrewing him if he happens to miss some kicks early. I never like the idea of having a freshman kicker but at least he has a year seeing the action up close and personal under his belt.

I've seen Anders during warm-ups. He's got the leg but I'm not sure he'll be as consistent/accurate as Daniel. At least not right away. But he'll definitely be our #1 next year.

Archived