Carlson Runner-up Again For Lou Groza Award

aufan57

2 hours ago, Linayus said:

Honestly, Daniel was lucky to even be a finalist this year. His FG stats just weren't that great compared to the rest of the field. In my opinion, he should've won last year. The year before that was against Aguayo who was just phenomenal in college (though his pro career has tanked). Daniel will have a stellar pro career though, I'm sure.

I've seen Anders during warm-ups. He's got the leg but I'm not sure he'll be as consistent/accurate as Daniel. At least not right away. But he'll definitely be our #1 next year.

Thank you for the great post. I get that it is off that Carlson never received one trophy despite being a finalist for years, but that happens, ask Andrew Luck. Carlson has hit many more clutch kicks in front of many more thousands of people than Gay has ever thought about, but he cannot stake the claim of having the better 2017-2018 season. That’s a big deal when it comes to single season awards. It’s one thing to say that Carlson deserved the award, it’s another to say he was robbed or snubbed, or for us to bash the voters. Maybe there should be an award for the best career for kickers. That way one year wonders like Gay (which was on a soccer team last year,) cannot take away from the overall body of work from somebody like Carlson.

4 hours ago, Linayus said:

Honestly, Daniel was lucky to even be a finalist this year. His FG stats just weren't that great compared to the rest of the field. In my opinion, he should've won last year. The year before that was against Aguayo who was just phenomenal in college (though his pro career has tanked). Daniel will have a stellar pro career though, I'm sure.

I've seen Anders during warm-ups. He's got the leg but I'm not sure he'll be as consistent/accurate as Daniel. At least not right away. But he'll definitely be our #1 next year.

Total nonsense.  The Palm Beach Sports Commission recognized him for their Pre-Season Watch List, named him three times to their "2017 Stars of the Week" listing (Gay was named twice,) and selected him as both a Semi- and then finally, a Finalist for the award.  Carson kicked four 50+ FG, Gay kicked five.  Both kicked 100% of XP, although Carlson made nearly 150% more than Gay (54 vs 37.)  Carlson scored 117 points, Gay scored 118.  The only marked difference would be in % of FGs made:  Carlson 75%, Gay 87.1%.  Luck had nothing to do with Carlson's selection -- one doesn't get to be the SEC's all-time scoring leader, and the NCAA's runner-up to the scoring kicker leader by "luck."  No doubt the vote was very close.   

Interesting note about this year's vote:  

This year, fans can have their part in naming the winner of the Lou Groza Award.  Fans can visit www.lougrozaaward.com and cast a vote for their favorite of the three finalists selected by the national panel of voters. The finalist who receives the greatest total of fan votes will be given one vote on the final ballot. One vote can make a difference on the outcome, so fans are encouraged to participate. 

Did anybody vote for Carlson? 

55 minutes ago, AUloggerhead said:

Total nonsense.  The Palm Beach Sports Commission recognized him for their Pre-Season Watch List, named him three times to their "2017 Stars of the Week" listing (Gay was named twice,) and selected him as both a Semi- and then finally, a Finalist for the award.  Carson kicked four 50+ FG, Gay kicked five.  Both kicked 100% of XP, although Carlson made nearly 150% more than Gay (54 vs 37.)  Carlson scored 117 points, Gay scored 118.  The only marked difference would be in % of FGs made:  Carlson 75%, Gay 87.1%.  Luck had nothing to do with Carlson's selection -- one doesn't get to be the SEC's all-time scoring leader, and the NCAA's runner-up to the scoring kicker leader by "luck."  No doubt the vote was very close.   

I just find it highly doubtful that you’d be making the same argument if Carlson was the kicker leading the nation in these four major kicking statistics. You could say then that he was robbed and have a strong case for it.  Legatron might’ve led in more made XP’s, but both were at 100%. I guess Legatron can thank his offense for scoring so much.

I thought Carlson was a bit of a disappointment this year, considering his potential.  Too many early season misses, and too many very close calls on short, easy field goals.  I'd gladly trade a couple missed PATs for a few more made field goals.

Major award winners in the kicking game can't have an off-beginning to a season and expect to win against other kickers who don't.

On 12/8/2017 at 5:02 PM, AUloggerhead said:

I'll direct you to the semi-finalist page for the Lou Groza award: http://www.lougrozaaward.com/17semifinalists so you can compare all of their stats around the time they were narrowed down to the finalists. I could argue that some of the others had better stats than Daniel and were more deserving based on the body of work up to that point for this season. Daniel is phenomenal, we know that and the committee knows that, which is probably why he got the nod over others but his stats this season just were not what we came to expect from him.

And yes, there was a thread here about voting for Daniel. He was already well behind when we got going with that. lol

7 hours ago, Linayus said:

I'll direct you to the semi-finalist page for the Lou Groza award: http://www.lougrozaaward.com/17semifinalists so you can compare all of their stats around the time they were narrowed down to the finalists. I could argue that some of the others had better stats than Daniel and were more deserving based on the body of work up to that point for this season. Daniel is phenomenal, we know that and the committee knows that, which is probably why he got the nod over others but his stats this season just were not what we came to expect from him.

And yes, there was a thread here about voting for Daniel. He was already well behind when we got going with that. lol

I've looked at that entire site.  The Semis were declared at the end of October, and the Finalists before the last regular season game in November.  Carlson had a productive month in November including 4 FG made against UGA so, he likely made up ground on the field of Semis.  Gay also had a very productive November and maintained his lead. 

Carson 2017 stats

Gay 2017 stats

It's clear what the commission values:  number of FGM with added emphasis on 50+ yds, FG%  & 100% XPM, total points.  What's also clear is that the commission does not take into consideration KOs resulting in touch-backs.  Carlson (I think I read this somewhere) made 72% of KOs into touch-backs.  Gay didn't have any touch-backs because the Utah punter performed all KO duties.  Kind of odd when you think about it since an award for "top place-kicker" should probably include all place-kicks, both free & scrimmage -- right?  Even the awards namesake was noted for KOs resulting in touch-backs during a time when it wasn't very common and statistics on it likely weren't kept (like they are now.)     

Lou Groza

Groza stayed with the team as a placekicker until 1967, and was on a Browns team that won the 1964 championship. Groza scored the first points in that game on a third-quarter field goal. He also kicked four kickoffs more than 70 yards (64 m) and out of the Baltimore Colts end zone, preventing a return. Cleveland won 27–0.

Archived