Top AD candidates becoming clearer

WDE_OxPx_2010

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Pat is an old guy and isn't going to live forever.....we need to plan for the future....

Agree to that.

Hartwell seems to be the most experienced in all aspects of running an AD...so there would not be that great of a learning curve...Btw he does have Auburn ties according to his comments...whether those ties are in the GOB network is unknown.

McKenna Doyle would be a very good PR hire..as there is not current woman AD in the SEC....but I know she lost her husband recently and wonder if she would make the move. Also, she is in charge of IT for NFL...is she considered a VP that would earn 1.2 mil? 

2 hours ago, RHN1975 said:

You would not leave a board level post with the NFL to be the SID at AU. She is more than qualified to be the AD and it would be a good move for AU. Hire a highly qualified candidate who also would be a great PR move. 

We've certainly been a Mickey Mouse organization of late under Jacobs, so maybe her time at WDW gives her some useful insight, but I'm not sure she's qualified for this position at this time.  Either way, I would contend that we do not need a PR move., but that we need a real AD who holds people accountable for their performance and behavior.

"Michelle McKenna-Doyle is Senior Vice President and CIO of the National Football League. She is responsible for the NFL’s technology strategy, shared service delivery and management of the league’s corporate technology activities. Michelle joined the NFL from Constellation Energy in Baltimore, Maryland where she was also CIO. Prior to Constellation, she was President of Vision Interactive Media Group, where she was responsible for marketing, technology, business development, operations and finance. Michelle also has extensive experience in the media and entertainment industry as an SVP and CIO at Universal Orlando Resort. In this role, she was responsible for the oversight of technology at Universal Orlando Resort, including the recent launch of The Wizarding World of Harry Potter. She also served as SVP and CIO Centex Destination Properties. In her 13-year career with The Walt Disney World Company, she held a variety of executive positions in resort development, finance, marketing, operations and technology."

1 minute ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

We've certainly been a Mickey Mouse organization of late under Jacobs, so maybe her time at WDW gives her some useful insight, but I'm not sure she's qualified for this position at this time.  Either way, I would contend that we do not need a PR move., but that we need a real AD who holds people accountable for their performance and behavior.

"Michelle McKenna-Doyle is Senior Vice President and CIO of the National Football League. She is responsible for the NFL’s technology strategy, shared service delivery and management of the league’s corporate technology activities. Michelle joined the NFL from Constellation Energy in Baltimore, Maryland where she was also CIO. Prior to Constellation, she was President of Vision Interactive Media Group, where she was responsible for marketing, technology, business development, operations and finance. Michelle also has extensive experience in the media and entertainment industry as an SVP and CIO at Universal Orlando Resort. In this role, she was responsible for the oversight of technology at Universal Orlando Resort, including the recent launch of The Wizarding World of Harry Potter. She also served as SVP and CIO Centex Destination Properties. In her 13-year career with The Walt Disney World Company, she held a variety of executive positions in resort development, finance, marketing, operations and technology."

While I am behind the hire of Michelle, I would agree that she does not appear to have much experience in the art of fund raising which is probably 85% of the AD's job.  But she definitely has the experience in marketing and technology.

Just now, LKEEL75 said:

she does not appear to have much experience in the art of fund raising which is probably 85% of the AD's job.

One thing he deserves credit for...Jay Jacobs may turn out to be the greatest fundraiser in the history of athletics but we don't need another one of those for this position.  Not this time.  

9 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

One thing he deserves credit for...Jay Jacobs may turn out to be the greatest fundraiser in the history of athletics but we don't need another one of those for this position.  Not this time.  

If JJ really spent 85% of his time on fund raising that might explain why we have all the problems right now..  Maybe time to get some one to manage the 100+ million dollar business that is Auburn athletics.....

40 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Pat is an old guy and isn't going to live forever.....we need to plan for the future....

This.

From an X's & O's and toughness standpoint, his opinion should be greatly valued.  From and administration standpoint...nah.

Such a small world. My daughter and son-in-law are now living in Logan, where Utah State is.  I cannot blame Hartwell for wanting to get back to the southeast. While beautiful, Logan is around 95% LDS and if you aren't LDS, you have a very hard time connecting with people. It's a pretty closed society there.  My daughter and her husband are wanting to move back to the south, desperately.  Anyone know of a job for a ChemE phd. who worked in cardiac tissue research? ? 

Oh, as for Utah State athletics, I don't know much. Their facilities are WAY below ours.  The stadium is about half the size. I don't think there are any really modern parts of the university.  It's an okay campus, but really does not have many newer looking buildings.  Just my quick drive-by assessment.  

9 minutes ago, AU64 said:

If JJ really spent 85% of his time on fund raising that might explain why we have all the problems right now..  Maybe time to get some one to manage the 100+ million dollar business that is Auburn athletics.....

Some one is welcome to correct me if I am wrong, but...  The day to day operations of the athletic departments are not part of the AD's job.  Yes the coaches report to them, but they are not managing the coaches every day nor are they managing what the team is doing.  Heck, a lot of colleges use committees to even hire coaches so they don't have that responsibility either.  Maybe 85% is high, but I don't think it is high by very much.

Again, I could be completely wrong.  It has happened before.

2 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

Some one is welcome to correct me if I am wrong, but...  The day to day operations of the athletic departments are not part of the AD's job.  Yes the coaches report to them, but they are not managing the coaches every day nor are they managing what the team is doing.  Heck, a lot of colleges use committees to even hire coaches so they don't have that responsibility either.  Maybe 85% is high, but I don't think it is high by very much.

Again, I could be completely wrong.  It has happened before.

When might that have been?    

As for the AD......no doubt that he is not involved much managing the coaches but seems from what I see on TV, a substantial part of JJ's time is spent attending about every sports event played on campus....or at least the major sports.  Not sure how much is part of the job and how much is because he loves sports and gets a front row seat. 

As for who hires coaches and staff....guess schools can do it different ways ....for example Phil Fulmer just hired himself to be AD at UTk..    

Just now, AU64 said:

Not sure what to think about that one....wow.  I'm guessing they don't exchange Christmas cards.

The internet is at once wonderful and terrifying.  Glad I'm not up for some high profile job or office.

Another thought.  If John Hartwell is LDS, the very conservative atmosphere in the current AD would become even more conservative.  Don't get me wrong, LDS people are very nice and very conservative.  

3 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

I was wondering the same.  And if one step further, would she be the first in SEC or even for any P5 college?

Also...Penn and Pitt...

hsttp://www.post-gazette.com/sports/college/2017/10/08/heather-lyke-pitt-sandy-barbour-penn-state-female-athletic-directors-ncaa-diversity/stories/201710080041

I think we've had more then enough of former Pat Dye players as Auburn's AD.  First Jacobs and then Etheridge? NO THANKS. IMO, he would be another yes man to anything Pat Dye wanted or didn't won't.

4 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

I was wondering the same.  And if one step further, would she be the first in SEC or even for any P5 college?

No, the woman AD at Arkansas who handled BB's firing was a woman. Nancy Creamer Pebbles or something.

41 minutes ago, tigeraddikt said:

No, the woman AD at Arkansas who handled BB's firing was a woman. Nancy Creamer Pebbles or something.

They just hired a man AD for Arkansas.

Shes not the AD...she was assistant, and after the AD was fired...then she took over temporarily to lead the new hire search..

If we hired McKenna-Doyle she would be the only woman AD in SEC.

one other thing...looking at the Utah state AD...it would be culture shock to go from their athletic facilities and budget to Auburn's in the powerful SEC. Hope he could handle the pressure...))

5 hours ago, RHN1975 said:

You would not leave a board level post with the NFL to be the SID at AU. She is more than qualified to be the AD and it would be a good move for AU. Hire a highly qualified candidate who also would be a great PR move. 

Salary might be an issue here. I could not find current salaries but in 2009 Goodell made about 9 million and the lowest paid executive VP made 1.2. 

Goodell just signed a new contract for 200 million for 5 years. He is moving up since 2009 ?. Personally I think MD would be a perfect hire. This is not about being an ex jock or having worked up through favors from boosters. This is about having someone capable of overseeing a 150 + million dollar business that our AD has become. It’s about signing contracts with endorsements. Not just the money but maintaining our name brand and reputation. It’s also having someone who is definitely working for AU’s good and not themselves or some big doners .

2 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Does it matter that her brother played football for the Updykes?

And she did work for Dye.

Oh Lord, please no!

2 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Does it matter that her brother played football for the Updykes?

And she did work for Dye.

No none of that maters for any of them and shouldn’t. What we need to do is act like grownups and hire the best person for the job based on their qualifications to do what needs to be done. As I said that is why I favor MD out of those listed. I personally would move Tim Cook to the front if he were interested but I’m quite sure that would be a pipe dream. ?

7 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Anyone notice who the holder was???????????????????????????

Whaaaaaaattttt? The depth of Auburn connections is astonishing

Archived