Top AD candidates becoming clearer

WDE_OxPx_2010

13 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Anyone notice who the holder was???????????????????????????

an outstanding "get".....Clay Helton.....who besides you and Clay would remember that?  

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The AD is no longer a position of influence over the coaches but is instead a businessman who provides overall direction, marketing, licensing, etc. As long as our hire is based on this an not about if he played football or understands the X’s and O’s we’ll be very successful.  

We need to move into the future, unlike UTenn who went backwards.  

2 hours ago, lala said:

The AD is no longer a position of influence over the coaches....

It never was this.  At Auburn, under Jacobs it was a conduit of influence over the various programs by way of Bobby Lowder, Jimmy Rane, et al.  When SACS neutered that group it emboldened JJ to believe he had free run of the place.  The old days weren't necessarily all bad.  Things didn't drag out like they did over the last decade.  This is the perceived danger of hiring anybody with affiliation to the guys who desperately want influence without accountability.  Folks who were on the take for TUF highest priority and other favors without exposure for it. 

The athletic department is just that, an athletics organization that deserves to be run by somebody who understands athletics and the difficulties of running an organization whose engine is made up essentially of 18-22 year old "volunteers".  It is also a $140 Million dollar company that deserves to be run by somebody who can handle that with complete transparency as well.  Jacobs paid lip service to the former and self service to the latter.

On 12/8/2017 at 11:46 AM, AUIH1 said:

Has anyone ever confirmed that McKenna-Doyle may be a Tim Jackson ally.

wde

Have seen

On 12/8/2017 at 11:49 AM, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

:popcorn:

I have read on another forum site she is close friends with Jackson.  

McKenna-Doyle strikes me as another version of Jacobs. I suspect she'll be the eventual hire with the same smokescreen of other reasonable candidates and Auburn "celebrity" backing. 

23 hours ago, 3rdgeneration said:

Another thought.  If John Hartwell is LDS, the very conservative atmosphere in the current AD would become even more conservative.  Don't get me wrong, LDS people are very nice and very conservative.  

Just figured out what you were saying "LDS", I'm pretty sure I would open a front yard lemonade stand before living among them. Just my $.02 :)

7 minutes ago, Tiger79 said:

Yes I’ve seen such. 

"that's pretty weak" for post #2......  Would be nice to actually have some kind of confirmation not just a rumor that might have been seen somewhere.     She's not been connected to AU athletics for twenty years if you check her resume'. 

JMO but anyone making that kind of claim needs some facts ....as to how and why she would have any association with Jackson or the current AD that might impact her ability to do the job.  .

5 hours ago, aucom96 said:

McKenna-Doyle strikes me as another version of Jacobs. I suspect she'll be the eventual hire with the same smokescreen of other reasonable candidates and Auburn "celebrity" backing. 

How do you come up with that. She is the polar opposite of JJ in about every way. And for those saying she is tight with TJ that’s bs also. She is an alum and as such probably has had contact withTJ but I doubt real serious they are close in any way. She hasn’t spent a lot of time around AU in a long time I’m sure do to her previous Jobs with Disney and now with the NFL. I think too much of this negative talk is just old jock bias. 

48 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

None of these candidates excite me

Not being a smart butt, but I hope we never hire a AD candidate that excites the normal fan. ADs should not be spotlight seekers but folks with great negotiation ability and have the capability to conduct most of their work without fanfare.  If we hire anyone that has star power we are in deep crap. AD is one of those jobs that you should walk quietly and carry a big stick. That is exactly what the big problem with JJ was. We don’t need to air out everything that goes on at AU. I know some fans think that they are entitled to all of the information but they are not.

10 hours ago, AU64 said:

"that's pretty weak" for post #2......  Would be nice to actually have some kind of confirmation not just a rumor that might have been seen somewhere.     She's not been connected to AU athletics for twenty years if you check her resume'. 

JMO but anyone making that kind of claim needs some facts ....as to how and why she would have any association with Jackson or the current AD that might impact her ability to do the job.  .

From what I understand she has stayed with the family a time or two (or more) when in town.  Hargrave is another.  Being close to some at AU when that is where you went to school is not disqualifying, but it does give me pause.  I believe she was a Tigerette or something and some of these folks have been around the athletic department since those days.  There is nothing wrong with having relationships with people you came in contact with on your way up but...

My personal opinion is that there is a house cleaning that needs to occur, so I question whether someone who is already that close to some in the AD is the right person.

4 hours ago, DunderMifflin said:

From what I understand she has stayed with the family a time or two (or more) when in town.  Hargrave is another.  Being close to some at AU when that is where you went to school is not disqualifying, but it does give me pause.  I believe she was a Tigerette or something and some of these folks have been around the athletic department since those days.  There is nothing wrong with having relationships with people you came in contact with on your way up but...

My personal opinion is that there is a house cleaning that needs to occur, so I question whether someone who is already that close to some in the AD is the right person.

This.  Especially if that person they are close to is Tim Jackson.  For me, that would be a huge strike against any candidate. 

wde

1 hour ago, AUIH1 said:

This.  Especially if that person they are close to is Tim Jackson.  For me, that would be a huge strike against any candidate. 

wde

Now all we need is something other than a rumor about her knowing Jackson. Otherwise, look at the woman's resume. She has been at or near the top of major businesses. She has been hiring and firing people for a long time, at several different places. She is an Auburn person, which is a definite PLUS*.(see below) My only doubt is if she would take the pay-cut involved. It would be very, very substantial.

*When AU was looking for a football coach way back when, Coach Shug Jordan was told that the biggest thing working against him was that he was an Auburn man. Coach replied "If they think an Auburn man can't do the job they should shut the damn place down". I agree.

5 hours ago, DunderMifflin said:

innuendo....."what I understand".....and when might that have occurred?   I guess it's possible...could have been anytime in the past 20 years or so since she left AU and what does that mean that would give one pause?  

Wondering who is behind the anti-M-D campaign.....folks trying to paint her with JJ mud or something?  

My #1 requirement for AD job is ability to identify, recruit and retain top level coaches. If you don't get that part right it's hard to be successful.

I was hoping we would get far away from continuing the good old boy network when a new AD was hired. Our new AD doesn't need to have any ties to Auburn.

The guy that moved the needle and @GwillMac6 top candidate (which I was in violent agreement with) is apparently off the table.  TCU's Chris Del Conte just accepted the AD position at the University of Texas.  For those wondering why Texas athletics were so incredibly under-performing, look out.  They just hitched themselves to a Saturn V rocket.  Dammit.

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

Now all we need is something other than a rumor about her knowing Jackson. Otherwise, look at the woman's resume. She has been at or near the top of major businesses. She has been hiring and firing people for a long time, at several different places. She is an Auburn person, which is a definite PLUS*.(see below) My only doubt is if she would take the pay-cut involved. It would be very, very substantial.

*When AU was looking for a football coach way back when, Coach Shug Jordan was told that the biggest thing working against him was that he was an Auburn man. Coach replied "If they think an Auburn man can't do the job they should shut the damn place down". I agree.

I like her resume as well.  I agree we need clarification as to her and Jackson's relationship. That is why I asked.

wde

16 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

I agree we need clarification as to her and Jackson's relationship. That is why I asked.

A lot has changed since the Shug Jordan days.  Jay Jacobs was a game changer in that respect and any close association with the sinister network he created should frighten the hell out all good Auburn men and women.  It does this one.  I believe Dr. Leath is our friend here.

Archived