Top AD candidates becoming clearer

WDE_OxPx_2010

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

innuendo....."what I understand".....and when might that have occurred?   I guess it's possible...could have been anytime in the past 20 years or so since she left AU and what does that mean that would give one pause?  

Wondering who is behind the anti-M-D campaign.....folks trying to paint her with JJ mud or something?  

It is also my understanding (I say that because I don't work in the athletic dept., do not live in Auburn and I am not any of the individuals involved) that she drops by the AD to visit over the last several years when in town, so it is easy to see who she is closest to - especially when she stays with a certain family at times when in town.  Jackson and Hargrave are the two I have heard.

I don't want to make this political, so please excuse the term, but I see what needs to happen in our athletic dept as similar to what needs to happen in DC.  We need to drain the swamp and identify who is carrying their weight, who is making a difference, who deserves to be there, who is qualified for their position, who is a mole, who is a bad apple and on and on.  I believe a person who comes in and is close to those already in the AD would be more likely to either maintain the status quo or would lean on those people they are closest to and get bad advice on who should stay and who should go.

Much like the establishment jobs in DC, many of these jobs provide a nice six-figure salary and not a whole lot of accountability.  Some know they are in a better situation than they could ever hope to be in anywhere else and will do whatever it takes to hang on for dear life.  I am sure a lot of it has been going on since JJ announced his resignation and it will only get worse as the new AD steps in.  Given this, don't you think you would be fighting to make sure the next AD is someone you are already aligned with?  I believe that is the reason her name came up from day one.  People from the inside making sure her name was on "the list".

I have some concern that Leath may be influenced somewhat by internal opinions or forces in making this decision, and that could lead to us doing the feel good, JABA thing.  I say that not because he is that type of person, but because any human being who is new in a job would find it easier to make the decision that more people around you want you to make.  Then, even if you fail, you all fail together.  The difficult thing is to make the right but unpopular decision knowing everybody around you will say I told you so if it doesn't work out.

Having said that, I will support the person Leath decides to put in there, because I truly beleive he wants a strong AD who will allow him to not have to be putting out fires every other month.  That should lead to him making the right decision for the right reasons.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, DunderMifflin said:

Having said that, I will support the person Leath decides to put in there, because I truly beleive he wants a strong AD who will allow him to not have to be putting out fires every other month.  That should lead to him making the right decision for the right reasons.

That I agree with 100%

Thanks....

1 hour ago, DunderMifflin said:

It is also my understanding (I say that because I don't work in the athletic dept., do not live in Auburn and I am not any of the individuals involved) that she drops by the AD to visit over the last several years when in town, so it is easy to see who she is closest to - especially when she stays with a certain family at times when in town.  Jackson and Hargrave are the two I have heard.

I don't want to make this political, so please excuse the term, but I see what needs to happen in our athletic dept as similar to what needs to happen in DC.  We need to drain the swamp and identify who is carrying their weight, who is making a difference, who deserves to be there, who is qualified for their position, who is a mole, who is a bad apple and on and on.  I believe a person who comes in and is close to those already in the AD would be more likely to either maintain the status quo or would lean on those people they are closest to and get bad advice on who should stay and who should go.

Much like the establishment jobs in DC, many of these jobs provide a nice six-figure salary and not a whole lot of accountability.  Some know they are in a better situation than they could ever hope to be in anywhere else and will do whatever it takes to hang on for dear life.  I am sure a lot of it has been going on since JJ announced his resignation and it will only get worse as the new AD steps in.  Given this, don't you think you would be fighting to make sure the next AD is someone you are already aligned with?  I believe that is the reason her name came up from day one.  People from the inside making sure her name was on "the list".

I have some concern that Leath may be influenced somewhat by internal opinions or forces in making this decision, and that could lead to us doing the feel good, JABA thing.  I say that not because he is that type of person, but because any human being who is new in a job would find it easier to make the decision that more people around you want you to make.  Then, even if you fail, you all fail together.  The difficult thing is to make the right but unpopular decision knowing everybody around you will say I told you so if it doesn't work out.

Very, very well stated. We are competing against a state rival that was willing to take this risk. Though so much about that program is questionable, it seems this particular risk has paid off. Trusting and praying for Dr. Leath...no one knows the pressure surrounding the "right" hire as critically as he does, but you have indeed described the power vacuum (of any organization) to perfection. 

P.S. How wise of you to remind us of how immense this department is, and how human nature it is to fight to retain your role, even if it conflicts with what's best in the grand plan. ONE LOOK at an AU football program this season opened my eyes. Good heavens at the departments...and sub-departments...and sub-sub-departments...etc.  Let me spend and allocate that money.  I'll do us proud. ?

Here is what I mean when saying her business experience is a plus. We need to hire coaches and tell them we expect to win. They should be told what is the win total, academic progress and any other factors we care to include. Their contracts should stipulate what is exceptable. They must include pay and benefits to attract the very best and should include conditions and punishments for failure to accomplish the task outlined. Much like most people face at their work site. I have no problem with giving time to correct their mistakes but make sure it is outlined. In the past few years we have entered into too many contracts with coaches that only reward when they accomplish certain goals but no punishment for when they don’t. I think this is something M-D can bring to the table. Also having had corporate experience she understands creating short and long term plans for the program. We don’t need to be voting three times a year on improvements to facilities. We need them drawn up for th next 10 years and hopefully have insight into what we want the finished product to be. This is what JJ could never do. She also would have the ability to articulate and sell the program to Leath and the board. I for one would be relieved just to see us quit flailing around like we have the last couple of decades. We can’t accomplish anything if we just keep going around in circles. JMHO

1 hour ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Here is what I mean when saying her business experience is a plus. We need to hire coaches and tell them we expect to win. They should be told what is the win total, academic progress and any other factors we care to include. Their contracts should stipulate what is exceptable. They must include pay and benefits to attract the very best and should include conditions and punishments for failure to accomplish the task outlined. Much like most people face at their work site. I have no problem with giving time to correct their mistakes but make sure it is outlined. In the past few years we have entered into too many contracts with coaches that only reward when they accomplish certain goals but no punishment for when they don’t. I think this is something M-D can bring to the table. Also having had corporate experience she understands creating short and long term plans for the program. We don’t need to be voting three times a year on improvements to facilities. We need them drawn up for th next 10 years and hopefully have insight into what we want the finished product to be. This is what JJ could never do. She also would have the ability to articulate and sell the program to Leath and the board. I for one would be relieved just to see us quit flailing around like we have the last couple of decades. We can’t accomplish anything if we just keep going around in circles. JMHO

she will bring the same as she is the chosen one by the ones that you want to change....it has been stated several times

you also seem pretty excited about her  :bananadance:

1 hour ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

45 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

she will bring the same as she is the chosen one by the ones that you want to change....it has been stated several times

you also seem pretty excited about her  :bananadance:

Not about her but about someone breaking the mold of what we have. I think you are just listening to folks who really want the same old boys network. Wake up and smell the roses.

25 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Not about her but about someone breaking the mold of what we have. I think you are just listening to folks who really want the same old boys network. Wake up and smell the roses.

I was the one who said none of these candidates excite me, remember

Some of this discussion really amazes me . The thought that she would be part of some " inner circle " of the athletic department is beyond belief. I mean, this is Auburn....and look who have been the powers behind the throne for all these many years. 

Aside from who  she might be friendly with , her professional career has outstripped everyone she left behind at Auburn . The thought that she would return to Auburn and feel subservient to those still on the staff is beyond my imagination. 

Just my opinion but attempts by people to attribute some kind of "guilt by association" to her is painful and shameful. 

I don't know if she is the best candidate but the arguments against her are plainly pathetic. Sorry for being so blunt but I ran out of patience with some of the explanations for her lack of qualification. 

On 12/8/2017 at 2:52 PM, LKEEL75 said:

While I am behind the hire of Michelle, I would agree that she does not appear to have much experience in the art of fund raising which is probably 85% of the AD's job.  But she definitely has the experience in marketing and technology.

Do you not think that someone with her background could not manage our fundraising. You said here that she has experience in marketing which could drive the entire process. You cannot get to the level she has reached without having excellent leadership skills and that is the AD's #1 job, to lead a multi-million dollar department. 

11 hours ago, AU64 said:

Some of this discussion really amazes me . The thought that she would be part of some " inner circle " of the athletic department is beyond belief. I mean, this is Auburn....and look who have been the powers behind the throne for all these many years. 

Aside from who  she might be friendly with , her professional career has outstripped everyone she left behind at Auburn . The thought that she would return to Auburn and feel subservient to those still on the staff is beyond my imagination. 

Just my opinion but attempts by people to attribute some kind of "guilt by association" to her is painful and shameful. 

I don't know if she is the best candidate but the arguments against her are plainly pathetic. Sorry for being so blunt but I ran out of patience with some of the explanations for her lack of qualification. 

your opinion is beyond belief,   the fact that she would ignore friends opinions is beyond imagination.  your argument for her is quite pathetic.  Sorry for being so blunt with your opinion of others opinions with no facts but just feelings.  >:D

Personally, I don't think she is qualified for the job.  Just because she works for corporations does not mean she is the best candidate for this position.   Second, to throw out those reports because you think they are silly is slightly short-sited.  If you don't think ptb are not leaking or finding ways to get their hand picked AD, then I am not sure what to say to you

Just now, RHN1975 said:

Do you not think that someone with her background could not manage our fundraising. You said here that she has experience in marketing which could drive the entire process. You cannot get to the level she has reached without having excellent leadership skills and that is the AD's #1 job, to lead a multi-million dollar department. 

She could, but there is no proof in her resume that she is qualified.  I want someone with prior athletic department experience, especially athletic director experience

2 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

your opinion is beyond belief,   the fact that she would ignore friends opinions is beyond imagination.  your argument for her is quite pathetic.  Sorry for being so blunt with your opinion of others opinions with no facts but just feelings.  >:D

Personally, I don't think she is qualified for the job.  Just because she works for corporations does not mean she is the best candidate for this position.   Second, to throw out those reports because you think they are silly is slightly short-sited.  If you don't think ptb are not leaking or finding ways to get their hand picked AD, then I am not sure what to say to you

This comes off as being quite a bit paranoid. Of course she can and will, if necessary, ignore friends and outside pressure. Her positions have been a long, long way above "working for corporations". She's been in positions of corporate leadership. To think she can't lead the AU athletic dept is irrational. Now, unless she feels that she already has all the money she will ever want, this is a pointless argument. I expect her salary as AU athletic Director will be roughly 1/3, maybe less, of what she's making now.

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

This comes off as being quite a bit paranoid. Of course she can and will, if necessary, ignore friends and outside pressure. Her positions have been a long, long way above "working for corporations". She's been in positions of corporate leadership. To think she can't lead the AU athletic dept is irrational. Now, unless she feels that she already has all the money she will ever want, this is a pointless argument. I expect her salary as AU athletic Director will be roughly 1/3, maybe less, of what she's making now.

of course she can but you can't say she won't.....wanting someone with athletic department experience over somebody with none and connections to the PTB, you pick.   personally I hope we are hitting up JIm Phillips since Del Conte  took the Texas job.

2 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

of course she can but you can't say she won't.....wanting someone with athletic department experience over somebody with none and connections to the PTB, you pick.   personally I hope we are hitting up JIm Phillips since Del Conte  took the Texas job.

You don't think she has had friends in every position she has held? You don't get to her level without being able to do the right thing at the right time regardless of your friends opinions. It isn't always popular but those are the kind of decisions that leaders have to make. 

Personally I think the position you are taking about her not having athletic department experience is a little off. Working on the leadership team of a 13 billion dollar sports league would make her pretty qualified for a collegiate athletic department that brought in 137 million last year. 

21 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Seems maybe the PTBs are trying to deep six her as a candidate.  Etheridge seems to be the favorite of the athletic establishment.  And just like M-D...I have no idea who is the best candidate but I'm not dismissing him because he played for Pat Dye ....or might be friendly with JJ or others in the Athletic Dept. People in management listen to other's opinions and then make their decisions.  

Whoever is in the AD slot will ...or should listen to the opinion of others.....and then do what they think needs to be done.  I've no reason to think that MD or SE would be a puppet for "friends".  

If you feel strongly about going outside of Auburn....that's your view but I don't think a person should be disqualified for supporting the university over the years....especially on the basis that he or she might be friends of people at the school. .

3 minutes ago, RHN1975 said:

You don't think she has had friends in every position she has held? You don't get to her level without being able to do the right thing at the right time regardless of your friends opinions. It isn't always popular but those are the kind of decisions that leaders have to make. 

Personally I think the position you are taking about her not having athletic department experience is a little off. Working on the leadership team of a 13 billion dollar sports league would make her pretty qualified for a collegiate athletic department that brought in 137 million last year. 

That is fine you can have that opinion but would you hire a football coach with no coaching experience in football but was a great basketball coach.   I think a person with successful AD experience is more qualified than someone with none and that is where we should be looking.  

5 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

That is fine you can have that opinion but would you hire a football coach with no coaching experience in football but was a great basketball coach.   I think a person with successful AD experience is more qualified than someone with none and that is where we should be looking.  

If you were hiring a coach that might be true but top management in the business world cross fields all the time.  The athletic department is a big business and I'm hoping we find someone with business management ability to develop a plan and to hire good people to carry out the specialized functions of the business.  If they have been an AD, that's worth considering but if you are looking for a change of attitude you might want someone to bring a new perspective and different experiences. .  

42 minutes ago, RHN1975 said:

Do you not think that someone with her background could not manage our fundraising. 

Again, Jay Jacobs was an all world fund raiser.  This should not be the litmus test for AD.  

8 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

I think a person with successful AD experience is more qualified than someone with none and that is where we should be looking.  

Preach brother, preach.

25 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Of course not but you are hiring a specialist at that point. I am not against someone having AD experience but this isn't the same athletic department it was 20, 15, 10, or even 5 years ago. This is the SEC where athletic departments are now basically major corporations. Excluding coaches and support staffs directly tied to individual sports there are over 225 people listed online as part of the staff of the athletic department. The key is having a leader that can hire the right 30-35 associate/assistant AD's and let them run their departments to make the department as strong as possible by hiring the best possible people under them.

How many donors and supporters would be happy writing a check to a department that is well ran from top to bottom knowing that their donation will be well managed?

1 hour ago, RHN1975 said:

Of course not but you are hiring a specialist at that point. I am not against someone having AD experience but this isn't the same athletic department it was 20, 15, 10, or even 5 years ago. This is the SEC where athletic departments are now basically major corporations. Excluding coaches and support staffs directly tied to individual sports there are over 225 people listed online as part of the staff of the athletic department. The key is having a leader that can hire the right 30-35 associate/assistant AD's and let them run their departments to make the department as strong as possible by hiring the best possible people under them.

How many donors and supporters would be happy writing a check to a department that is well ran from top to bottom knowing that their donation will be well managed?

Agree with this entirely. We need someone who knows how to run a $150,000,000.00 corporation. If they have a background in athletics, that's obviously a huge positive. If they don't, it shouldn't disqualify them.

4 hours ago, auburnphan said:

She could, but there is no proof in her resume that she is qualified.  I want someone with prior athletic department experience, especially athletic director experience

No, what you mean is your opinion she is not qualified, but I can assure you that your opinion is in the minority of those that will decide her fate. She is far more successful than most of the others. I think a lot of this has to do with the thoughts by a few that since she is a female surely she can’t do the job. It just continues to surprise me that in year 2018 we still let our biases over-rule our common senses. My hope is that the folks that make this decission will use their intelligence instead of being led by their immature and unintelligent biases.

2 hours ago, RHN1975 said:

Extremely well written post. You are exactly right. You have some folks that just do not understand that hiring coaches is just a small part of what an AD does. These are the folks that want to go out and hire a plumber to build their house. The AD has to be able to run the whole show. JJ didn’t do a bad job on hiring coaches he just screwed up the other 90 % of his job. So now we got posters that want to go out and hire another plumber to rebuild the house. SMH ?‍♂️ 

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

Agree with this entirely. We need someone who knows how to run a $150,000,000.00 corporation. If they have a background in athletics, that's obviously a huge positive. If they don't, it shouldn't disqualify them.

This. +100  As about as succinct and correct as can be stated.  The AD is managing people and programs not teams.  A lot of people need to clear their thinking.  I'm believe we need to contract an executive search company.  This option also forces a clear mission statement for the hire.  The kind of person I'd like comes with a referral letter from someone like Tim Cook.  (For fun you should look at his resume.  He builds success.  It's a pattern.)  

4 hours ago, RHN1975 said:

I never said she "can't".  I said she does not have the experience of doing it while the others have been ADs would have this experience.  I feel pretty confident that any woman who has excelled as much as she has in the NFL office can do the job.  Again, I was merely pointing out that she had less experience in what I felt is a very large portion of an AD's job.

Archived