24/7: Holland coming back

aubiefifty

auburn.247sports.com

'No decision' on Kerryon Johnson's future plans

by Phillip Marshall

Kerryon Johnson (21) and Jarrett Stidham (8) have decisions to make. (Photo: Todd Van Emst, Auburn University)
6_7938648.jpg

Auburn running back Kerryon Johnson has not decided on whether he will return for his senior season or enter the NFL draft, his father told AuburnUndercover on Friday.

“There’s no decision yet,” Kerry Johnson said. “We’ll see what the situation is when the time comes, look at it and go from there.”

Kerryon Johnson had a breakout season, leading the SEC in rushing with 1,320 yards and 17 touchdowns in 11 games. He caught 23 passes for 188 yards and two touchdowns, threw a touchdown pass and was named Offensive Player of the Year by coaches and by the Associated Press. He is generally rated among the top five draft eligible running backs, but that would not necessarily translate into being picked in the first or second round.

Tre’ Mason left after having the most prolific season in Auburn history in 2013 and was chosen by the Rams in the third round.

Auburn quarterback Jarrett Stidham, a second-team All-SEC selection, also will have a decision to make, along with All-SEC cornerback Carlton Davis and All-SEC defensive end Jeff Holland.

Stidham is rated the No. 10 quarterback in the draft and a probably mid-round draft pick.

Davis is projected as an early-round pick should he decide to pass up his senior season.

Holland said after Auburn’s 28-7 loss to Georgia in the SEC Championship Game that he planned to return for his senior season.

Defensive tackle Dontavius Russell also would be a potential draft choice.

And then there is Kamryn Pettway, an All-SEC running back in 2016 who missed most of this season with injuries. He is not likely to be a high draft pick, but he will graduate in December. He is married and has a daughter.

In 2016, Pettway rushed for 1,224 yards and scored seven touchdowns in 10 games. This season, he played in five games and rushed for 305 yards and scored six touchdowns.

Johnson fought through painful injuries in the SEC Championship Game after missing two games early in the season with a hamstring injury. His father said he is feeling better.

“He’s still a little sore, but he’s getting better every day,” Kerry Johnson said. “It looks pretty good for him to be ready to play (in the Peach Bowl against Central Florida).”

Kerry Johnson said in an interview last month his son is not feeling pressured by the decision that awaits him.

“You focus on what you have to get done right now,” Kerry Johnson said. “At the end of the season, we’ll weigh it out and make a decision. We went into Auburn thinking four years, but if the opportunity presents itself, it’s something we have to sit down and look at. Our intent has always been for him to finish his time at Auburn.”

The deadline for underclassmen to declare for the draft is Jan. 15.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also saw where Jarrett said he didn’t feel like he was anywhere close towards going pro. Said he felt he still had a lot of work to do. Right now about the only folks I’m sold that go early is C. Davis and KP. I got a feeling KJ will be back also. Just my opinion.

48 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Also saw where Jarrett said he didn’t feel like he was anywhere close towards going pro. Said he felt he still had a lot of work to do. Right now about the only folks I’m sold that go early is C. Davis and KP. I got a feeling KJ will be back also. Just my opinion.

Exactly my sentiments...

58 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

It’s going to suck to lose Dontavious Russell after losing Antwuan Jackson and Cowart. Impact loss.

Russell played great this year , like u said depth worries me 

I have not looked at the draft boards but I would assume Holland would be early 2nd round? That will be hard to turn down but I will be happy for him to stay. If we only lose KP and CD we are in some nice shape next year.

Saw where Todd Mcshay had Kerryon as his #3 RB on ESPN a few nights. If that’s accurate....he’s gone. I want him to come back but I think it’s in his best interest to leave.

2 minutes ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

Saw where Todd Mcshay had Kerryon as his #3 RB on ESPN a few nights. If that’s accurate....he’s gone. I want him to come back but I think it’s in his best interest to leave.

Gus put a lot of miles on him. Rb shelf life is very short 

5 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

It’s going to suck to lose Dontavious Russell after losing Antwuan Jackson and Cowart. Impact loss.

I don't know how much it will suck losing Cowart. He hardly performed well when he did play and he was given plenty of opportunities. As for Jackson he apparently didn't put forth the effort in practice and off season work.

Ill believe Holland is coming back after the deadline passes. I'm not a draft guru but he's elite. Just got a feeling Kerryon stays.  

I do know Kerryon has met with academic advisors and is enrolled for the spring semester with intention of being in school for the semester.  

I’ve never thought he’d go pro this year, but that news gave me a little more confidence he’ll stay.  I think he stays.  If Holland does also, we’ll be VERY special next year.  

I said all year this felt like 03/04 for me.  We had a great team in 03 that needed some gel time.  They got it and in 04 we were unstoppable.

7 hours ago, milehighfan said:

I don't know how much it will suck losing Cowart. He hardly performed well when he did play and he was given plenty of opportunities. As for Jackson he apparently didn't put forth the effort in practice and off season work.

Cowart was a tweener between DE and DT. He possibly could’ve developed and provided depth. Jackson could’ve provided depth.  My point still stands, if Dontavius goes pro, our depth will be questionable at best.

11 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Gus put a lot of miles on him. Rb shelf life is very short 

This is the common narrative but simply inaccurate. There are plenty of NFL RBs with significantly more touches in College than Kerryon had this year. Lookup Christian McCaffreys college carries and receptions compared to KJ. KJs touches are also in line with other AU RBs like Barber, Dyer, Tate, and Cadillac. He got banged up towards the end of the year, but this narrative about his mileage is inaccurate. 

8 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

This is the common narrative but simply inaccurate. There are plenty of NFL RBs with significantly more touches in College than Kerryon had this year. Lookup Christian McCaffreys college carries and receptions compared to KJ. KJs touches are also in line with other AU RBs like Barber, Dyer, Tate, and Cadillac. He got banged up towards the end of the year, but this narrative about his mileage is inaccurate. 

The problem is he has been significantly injured more than those guys that you mentioned. Probably due to the fact that guys like Dyer and Cadillac had guys who also received a high volume of carries to take off the load. Dyer had Newton and OMAC. We know Cadillac had Ronnie Brown. Also, Christian Mccaffrey is an all-purpose back. His touches aren't remotely the same as KJ's touches. 

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

Cowart was a tweener between DE and DT. He possibly could’ve developed and provided depth. Jackson could’ve provided depth.  My point still stands, if Dontavius goes pro, our depth will be questionable at best.

Guess they could have provided depth but took up schollys too.  Looking at their post-AU careers, it makes me wonder if they would have proved depth other than Mercer and Ga Southern type games.     Guess I need to look at the roster in more detail to see who else will be available.

2 hours ago, DAG said:

The problem is he has been significantly injured more than those guys that you mentioned. Probably due to the fact that guys like Dyer and Cadillac had guys who also received a high volume of carries to take off the load. Dyer had Newton and OMAC. We know Cadillac had Ronnie Brown. Also, Christian Mccaffrey is an all-purpose back. His touches aren't remotely the same as KJ's touches. 

If KJ goes to the NFL,  great for him. If he returns, fantastic for us. But the narrative of “he better go because the NFL will be concerned about his mileage in college” is not true. Here are the actual carries after 3 seasons for current or soon to be NFL back. Some have missed games due to injury, some are from weaker conferences, some are from Power 5 schools, some are big, some are small. Most of these guys also have more total touches. Webb and Pumphrey added a fourth year to these numbers And the body has no way of knowing if you have a solid backup or not. It just absorbs the hits it takes. You can certainly disagree with the concept, but the facts are what they are. The NFL is not afraid to draft guys from college with a lot of carries. 

These are rushes after 3 years and do not include receptions, KO returns, and punt returns. 

Kerryon:                                      497

McCaffrey:                                  632

Dalvin Cook:                               687 

Ezekiel Elliot:                             592    

Ralph Webb:                               739  

Saquon Barkley:                        653

Donnel  Pumprhey:                  707        

4 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

I thought Dontavious just played his senior.season.

12 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

If KJ goes to the NFL,  great for him. If he returns, fantastic for us. But the narrative of “he better go because the NFL will be concerned about his mileage in college” is not true. Here are the actual carries after 3 seasons for current or soon to be NFL back. Some have missed games due to injury, some are from weaker conferences, some are from Power 5 schools, some are big, some are small. Most of these guys also have more total touches. Webb and Pumphrey added a fourth year to these numbers And the body has no way of knowing if you have a solid backup or not. It just absorbs the hits it takes. You can certainly disagree with the concept, but the facts are what they are. The NFL is not afraid to draft guys from college with a lot of carries. 

These are rushes after 3 years and do not include receptions, KO returns, and punt returns. 

Kerryon:                                      497

McCaffrey:                                  632

Dalvin Cook:                               687 

Ezekiel Elliot:                             592    

Ralph Webb:                               739  

Saquon Barkley:                        653

Donnel  Pumprhey:                  707        

Again. None of those guys have the history of injuries that KJ has. INJURIES. You keep foregoing that. He has been injured every year since he has been here. Accumulating more hits only add to that. Don't know why you want to clearly overlook that fact.  That is one of the main reasons why Christian McCaffrey absolutely chose not to play in his bowl game. That is also one of the reasons you see players, specifically RBs, take out insurance policies. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Again. None of those guys have the history of injuries that KJ has. INJURIES. You keep foregoing that. He has been injured every year since he has been here. Accumulating more hits only add to that. Don't know why you want to clearly overlook that fact.  That is one of the main reasons why Christian McCaffrey absolutely chose not to play in his bowl game. That is also one of the reasons you see players, specifically RBs, take out insurance policies. 

Y’all both are making good points. Kerryon does have an injury history and that may scare off some NFL scouts. However I doubt having more mileage is much of a concern. 

3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Y’all both are making good points. Kerryon does have an injury history and that may scare off some NFL scouts. However I doubt having more mileage is much of a concern. 

The mileage doesn’t worry me. Taking one bad shot on an already injured prone body is what scares me. I don’t want to see a Marcus Lattimore situation happen. It has never been about the carries with me. It has been about the continuous injuries. He is an awesome player. I want to see him in the NFL. 

21 minutes ago, DAG said:

KJ has had a shoulder surgery after high school, hamstring injuries, and a high ankle sprain. According to who you believe he recently had a shoulder injury or cracked ribs. (None of which are fun or pleasant, I’m sure) Dalvin Cook had 3 shoulder surgeries in HS and College, hamstring issues, and several high ankle sprains and was drafted in the second round. Nick Chubb had one of the most severe knee injuries you can have and will be drafted very high. Fournette had a history of high ankle sprains in college and he was a high draft pick. AGAIN: if Kerryon comes out I will cheer his decision. If he comes back, I will be thrilled. But the NFL has a recent history of drafting RBs in early rounds in spite of college injuries and a lot of carries. That’s all I’m saying. 

13 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

KJ has had a shoulder surgery after high school, hamstring injuries, and a high ankle sprain. According to who you believe he recently had a shoulder injury or cracked ribs. (None of which are fun or pleasant, I’m sure) Dalvin Cook had 3 shoulder surgeries in HS and College, hamstring issues, and several high ankle sprains and was drafted in the second round. Nick Chubb had one of the most severe knee injuries you can have and will be drafted very high. Fournette had a history of high ankle sprains in college and he was a high draft pick. AGAIN: if Kerryon comes out I will cheer his decision. If he comes back, I will be thrilled. But the NFL has a recent history of drafting RBs in early rounds in spite of college injuries and a lot of carries. That’s all I’m saying. 

Dude , if you have talent you will get drafted . Myles Jack proved that. You are arguing points that I am not even disagreeing on you with . My point is I don’t want to see him I have a career altering injury that affects his NFL tenure. Also LF took out an insurance policy and didn’t play his last collegiate football game. Why?! Because he knows the risk that comes with it. The goal is to have a long NFL career. Not to just get drafted. Even Marcus, with his harsh injuries got drafted, but those injuries derailed his NFL career.

Archived