24/7: Holland coming back

aubiefifty

Just now, aujeff11 said:

Umm yes. Like I said 300 carries is still 300 carries. 

Right out the gate, you attack with assumptions. Poor start. 

He took the brunt of 300 carries. 

He still got 300 carries.

Doesn’t have to run it 17 straight times if there are receivers that we can pass to as well...

Because the other 15 carries were distributed accordingly, Tre Mason’s 46 carries made so much sense, but Kerryon Johnson’s 30 carries against Bama were too high and unnecessary. Like that makes so much sense.

Alright, you are right Jeff. I am not going to keep going back and forth with you.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, DAG said:

How is that wrong? He lasted 5 years in the NFL as the #2 back drafted.

Maybe because he wasn’t the number two back drafted. 

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

Building depth is beneficial to the team.

Who said it’s not? 

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

Ok David Johnson Glove and cleats are in the HOF. Cody parker cleats are in the hall of fame. And?

So, apparently, they lived up to whatever hype they had to have their personal items sent to the NFL HOF.

9 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Maybe because he wasn’t the number two back drafted. 

Who said it’s not? 

So, apparently, they lived up to whatever hype they had to have their personal items sent to the NFL HOF.

My bad the #5 draft pick. Alright, you win man. Sorry for derailing the thread guys.

19 minutes ago, DAG said:

My bad the #5 draft pick

#5 draft pick is correct; he was also the number 3 RB taken...

I’m sorry I cannot agree with you if your argument is we should’ve used more RB’s against Alabama or UGA. We needed our feature back to do work then more than ever. We really couldn’t use Kerryon against Clemson so Gus has been down a feature back most of the year. 

Quite frankly,  I don’t think Gus ever saw Martin as a feature back even when he recruited him. And I think he learned from his mistake of letting freshman RBs play in the 2014 Iron Bowl.

6 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

#5 draft pick is correct; he was also the number 3 RB taken...

I’m sorry I cannot agree with you if your argument is we should’ve used more RB’s against Alabama or UGA. We needed our feature back to do work then more than ever. We really couldn’t use Kerryon against Clemson so Gus has been down a feature back most of the year. 

Quite frankly,  I don’t think Gus ever saw Martin as a feature back even when he recruited him. And I think he learned from his mistake of letting freshman RBs play in the 2014 Iron Bowl when he doesn’t have to. 

Not asking you to agree with me nor was that my argument. We won't agree and that's fine. Best thing about the internet is you can agree to disagree and move on.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Not asing you to agree with me nor was that my argument. We won't agree and that's fine. Best thing about the internet is you can agree to disagree and move on.

Who has two thumbs and approves of the content in the last sentence? This guy! 

Still too many carries.  After taking the hit on the goal line maybe he should have been rested for the rest of the game.     Tre Williams should not have been playing in the ULM game.   

1 hour ago, aubaseball said:

Still too many carries.  After taking the hit on the goal line maybe he should have been rested for the rest of the game.     Tre Williams should not have been playing in the ULM game.   

Kerry Johnson had 30 plus carries and didn't finish the game and had a lingering injury with that. I am of the opinion that necessary depth can help increase a backs chances of surviving such a load. We need depth starting next year. Like we had in 2013 with the mason. If you remember in the SEC championship game when we were driving in the second half, Tre got winded and coach inserted Cap, who had two great runs to score and end that drive. KJ did not have that last year. Also at the end of the third quarter, Grant had a huge run when there was on the sideline. Preservation for Tre entering the fourth. It's the little things. Not to mention KJ is working hard as hell for his yards with his unique style. We saw that in the Bama game. I wish we were playing Mizzou two weeks ago with their 3 downline men set lmao. At times our RBs weren't even getting touched at the LOS. What can you do?

If Gus didn’t pound one RB then the backups would have been better prepared at the end of the season.  Maybe a more seasoned backup produces better than a 75% KJ?  We’ll never know.  If KJ and Pet both leave ... we’ve got squat for experience.  Does anyone think Kam or Barrett can take 30 carries a game?  Miller hardly played. He’s gonna be a junior right?

Gus might have hosed up the RB situation.  IMO KJ never should have seen the field vs LaMo.  Before anyone gets cranked up. Yes KJ should have touched the ball 30+ times versus Georgia.  But 25 versus LaMo.?  16 times by mid 2nd quarter in the first game?  Until he yanked his hammy.

simply put, gus rides a RB into the ground unnecessarily.  Ride them in a big game?  Sure.  But spell RB1 5-10 touches a game more than is being done.  It saves bodies and trains new ones.

3 hours ago, 3rdgeneration said:

I thought this thread was about Jeff Holland. :dunno: you guys crack me up.  

No "decision on Kerryon Johnson future"

Right in bold on the OPs article

Holy crap in my Negan voice 

9 hours ago, DAG said:

Kerry Johnson had 30 plus carries and didn't finish the game and had a lingering injury with that. I am of the opinion that necessary depth can help increase a backs chances of surviving such a load. We need depth starting next year. Like we had in 2013 with the mason. If you remember in the SEC championship game when we were driving in the second half, Tre got winded and coach inserted Cap, who had two great runs to score and end that drive. KJ did not have that last year. Also at the end of the third quarter, Grant had a huge run when there was on the sideline. Preservation for Tre entering the fourth. It's the little things. Not to mention KJ is working hard as hell for his yards with his unique style. We saw that in the Bama game. I wish we were playing Mizzou two weeks ago with their 3 downline men set lmao. At times our RBs weren't even getting touched at the LOS. What can you do?

Do the fans here realize that we won the Iron Bowl thanks largely to great defense, play calling, and KJ’s hard running? Why are we questioning the factors that produced a win? Injuries happen when players try to make football plays. And Kerryon Johnson will be the first to tell you that he exposed himself to injury when he reached out for the pylon.

The distributed carry difference between the Missouri game (26) and the 2017 Iron Bowl (19) is only seven despite running the ball 21 less than the Missouri game. While you use half fact and half nostalgia by bringing up CAP’s two great runs in the SECCG, you failed to bring up that those were his only carries of the night. So basically he only received 2 out of the 70 total rushing plays. You also failed to bring up that Stidham had 12 carries in the Iron Bowl, Stove had 2, and Martin had 4 carries as well. Lastly, which I feel is the most important of all, we passed the rock 28 times versus Alabama instead of merely 11 attempts against Missouri. Having a more balanced offensive attack somewhat gives the RB a breather despite his normal pass blocking duties. 

Look, Gus didn’t forget how to coach football, okay?  If he isn’t putting Martin in the Iron Bowl, I’m sure it’s because of something he sees on the practice field every day. Gus is trying to win the football game just as much as we want him to win the football game. If Gus thinks the only way that we can win the Iron Bowl is for KJ to run his heart out, then KJ needs to leave his heart on that field at the end of the day. It’s almost like baseball, there is no need in saving your best arm for game 7 when you’re in a dogfight just trying to get out of game 6.

Lastly, and someone brought this up earlier, the 22 carries against Louisiana Monroe are the only questionable carries that I see all year for Kerryon. I do think a win was inevitable even without Kerryon Johnson playing at all. However, let me remind everybody that we had.a hard time putting that game out of reach and our offense wasn’t doing anything in the first half. That had to be corrected because nobody wants a flat launching point from the warmup game to rhe series of subsequent big games. 

6 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

If Gus didn’t pound one RB then the backups would have been better prepared at the end of the season

Just to be clear, and this is probably where the line of division is amongst the fans regarding this issue: I am like Gus, I only want the trustworthy backs putting their mittens on the ball during crunch time. 

The backup RBs had ample garbage time this year to get their feet wet, so it’s not like they didn’t gain any experience from this. Also, let’s not undervalue the gains made in 1’s v 1’s in practice as well. Martin has been here for two years now. If his pass blocking hasn’t picked up by now, it probably won’t be there next year either. Martin being inserted in crunch time against LSU or Clemson isn’t going to help him learn how to pass block. It’s just going to get him pushed aside and our QB killed again. 

45 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Do the fans here realize that we won the Iron Bowl thanks largely to great defense, play calling, and KJ’s hard running? Why are we questioning the factors that produced a win? Injuries happen when players try to make football plays. And Kerryon Johnson will be the first to tell you that he exposed himself to injury when he reached out for the pylon.

The distributed carry difference between the Missouri game (26) and the 2017 Iron Bowl (19) is only seven despite running the ball 21 less than the Missouri game. While you use half fact and half nostalgia by bringing up CAP’s two great runs in the SECCG, you failed to bring up that those were his only carries of the night. So basically he only received 2 out of the 70 total rushing plays. You also failed to bring up that Stidham had 12 carries in the Iron Bowl, Stove had 2, and Martin had 4 carries as well. Lastly, which I feel is the most important of all, we passed the rock 28 times versus Alabama instead of merely 11 attempts against Missouri. Having a more balanced offensive attack somewhat gives the RB a breather despite his normal pass blocking duties. 

Look, Gus didn’t forget how to coach football, okay?  If he isn’t putting Martin in the Iron Bowl, I’m sure it’s because of something he sees on the practice field every day. Gus is trying to win the football game just as much as we want him to win the football game. If Gus thinks the only way that we can win the Iron Bowl is for KJ to run his heart out, then KJ needs to leave his heart on that field at the end of the day. It’s almost like baseball, there is no need in saving your best arm for game 7 when you’re in a dogfight just trying to get out of game 6.

Lastly, and someone brought this up earlier, the 22 carries against Louisiana Monroe are the only questionable carries that I see all year for Kerryon. I do think a win was inevitable even without Kerryon Johnson playing at all. However, let me remind everybody that we had.a hard time putting that game out of reach and our offense wasn’t doing anything in the first half. That had to be corrected because nobody wants a flat launching point from the warmup game to rhe series of subsequent big games. 

You are still trying to argue?!  Let it go. Hop off.

So you're gonna ignore the fact we didn't have a viable backup RB in the SECCG? And....Still don't. Lol @ you still defending the fact we don't have a backup that can run the offense, because.....ya know...Gus hasn't forgotten how to coach....lol. GTFOH.

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

You are still trying to argue?!  Let it go. Hop off.

:dunno:  I was responding to your post. 

Not really being argumentative either. I gave plenty of premises, secondary conclusions, and conclusions to form a reasonable argument. You don’t have to participate but I guess somebody can.

Just now, aujeff11 said:

:dunno:  I was responding to your post. 

Not really being argumentative either. I have plenty of premises, secondary conclusions, and conclusions to form a reasonable argument as well. 

About the same thing we already agreed to disagree on. I am sure big bird and a whole host of others are thinking let it go. We aren't going to agree on this. No need to keep updating the thread with back and forth. Again, people, I apologize. 

2 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

So you're gonna ignore the fact we didn't have a viable backup RB in the SECCG?

Are you going to ignore why we were able to go to the SECCG? 15 carries for KJ in the Bama game wasn’t going to get it done. Are you also going to ignore that our other featurebl back was hurt? 

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

About the same thing we already agreed to disagree on. I am sure big bird and a whole host of others are thinking let it go. We aren't going to agree on this. No need to keep updating the thread with back and forth. Again, people, I apologize. 

I don’t know man. I see a lot of people including you still talking about it. Also, I’m fine agreeing to disagree. A conversation isn’t unreasonable though.

9 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

So you're gonna ignore the fact we didn't have a viable backup RB in the SECCG? And....Still don't. Lol @ you still defending the fact we don't have a backup that can run the offense, because.....ya know...Gus hasn't forgotten how to coach....lol. GTFOH.

The viable backup, last years SEC rushing leader, was unavailable for the game. Do you suggest there should be no discipline on the team? Rules only apply to third team and below? Do you suggest that Gus should have been clairvoyant and had a third former starter waiting in the wings? Who would that player have been?

I guess you think Pettway got too many carries vs. Arky and Miller should have gotten all of them. Did you gripe about Pettway getting carries instead of Miller after the Arky game? If not, why not?

So anyway KJ should do what's best for him. I personally hope he gets his desired grade and get to the NFL. Make your money, take care of your family and you can always go back and finish your degree.  

40 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Are you going to ignore why we were able to go to the SECCG? 15 carries for KJ in the Bama game wasn’t going to get it done. Are you also going to ignore that our other featurebl back was hurt? 

No I'm not ignoring the Iron Bowl, still....that's one game. And nope...not ignoring Pettway being injured either. He's Been injured all year. I'm also not going to ignore that we're getting our asses handed in RB recruiting. We're a power run team that doesn't seem to recruit "power" backs. Another fun fact....Pettway got ran to death last year too because KJ was injured much of the year. Same thing last year, no viable back up. You guys can argue specific number of carries all you want, it don't change the fact we have no RB depth. It might not have been THE reason we lost the SECCG, but I guarantee you trotting a barely 60% KJ out there and not being able to establish a run game definitely contributed to it.

9 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

No I'm not ignoring the Iron Bowl, still....that's one game. And nope...not ignoring Pettway being injured either. He's Been injured all year. I'm also not going to ignore that we're getting our asses handed in RB recruiting. We're a power run team that doesn't seem to recruit "power" backs. Another fun fact....Pettway got ran to death last year too because KJ was injured much of the year. Same thing last year, no viable back up. You guys can argue specific number of carries all you want, it don't change the fact we have no RB depth. It might not have been THE reason we lost the SECCG, but I guarantee you trotting a barely 60% KJ out there and not being able to establish a run game definitely contributed to it.

I don't think you really pay attention to recruiting.  We continually land high profile running backs.  Asa Martin says hello.

And we have also always had good depth with our running backs.  Last year people seem to forget heading into the year we lost Peyton Barber, Roc Thomas, and Jovon Robinson.  Once Johnson went down, Tim Horton was able to get Pettway ready in time for the whole season, having to convert him from HB.  Fast forward to this year, we had our two starting running backs injured.  We were then able to go to Kam Martin who held his own in the run game.  Not many schools can function after their first two running backs get injured.  It is unrealistic to expect the 4th and 5th string running backs to be able to perform like your star running back did.

Archived