November Jobs Report

Proud Tiger

5 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Good November jobs report. New jobs exceed expectations and unemployment holding at 17 year low. Wage growth is low but also is inflation.

https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/november-2017-jobs-report-analysis

Trump used to call those numbers fake.

3 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Trump used to call those numbers fake.

You are so right Tex. just feels real now for some reason now. WaPo

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/03/10/19-times-trump-called-the-jobs-numbers-fake-before-they-made-him-look-good/?utm_term=.a

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

They tell part of the story. Always have. Just not the whole story.

10 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

They tell part of the story. Always have. Just not the whole story.

That does not pertain to the substance of PT's post. Its another sorry attempt to criticize President Trump. Do you ever just admit that the man is doing good - Or hell, that he has done something good? What say you if he cured every illness in the world; not good because doctors might lose work?

12 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

That does not pertain to the substance of PT's post. Its another sorry attempt to criticize President Trump. Do you ever just admit that the man is doing good - Or hell, that he has done something good? What say you if he cured every illness in the world; not good because doctors might lose work?

What are the "good" things you think I should be praising? 

BTW, these are the same improving data points Obama pointed to as showing an improving economy. Then as now, they told part of the story. Not underemployment or slow wage growth. This was true for Obama and Trump. We have low unemployment, but systemic economic problems. You're so defensive about Trump.

On 12/11/2017 at 8:00 AM, TexasTiger said:

What are the "good" things you think I should be praising? 

BTW, these are the same improving data points Obama pointed to as showing an improving economy. Then as now, they told part of the story. Not underemployment or slow wage growth. This was true for Obama and Trump. We have low unemployment, but systemic economic problems. You're so defensive about Trump.

Trump did good by cutting back energy regulations.....

Reinvestments into American economy from SoftBank, Exxon, Hyundai, Apple, Chrysler, GM, Bayer AG, Toyota, LG - largely due in part to Trump's policies on regs and "America first."

Stock market

Consumer Confidence 

Supreme Court

Killed TPP

Border Security 

Diplomacy 

Cutting back gov't agencies 

Promoting small business growth via reigning in EPA

Granted, maybe some of the praise for his accomplishments is in more of a subjective vein, i.e., supreme court 

1 hour ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Trump did good by cutting back energy regulations.....

Reinvestments into American economy from SoftBank, Exxon, Hyundai, Apple, Chrysler, GM, Bayer AG, Toyota, LG - largely due in part to Trump's policies on regs and "America first."

Stock market

Consumer Confidence 

Supreme Court

Killed TPP

Border Security 

Diplomacy 

Cutting back gov't agencies 

Promoting small business growth via reigning in EPA

Granted, maybe some of the praise for his accomplishments is in more of a subjective vein, i.e., supreme court 

Man, talking about pumping up a resume'.   :laugh:

However, this being the "serious" thread, I have an obligation to provide a substantive response.  I've already been thinking of compiling a list of Trump disasters - many of which are unprecidented - to publish at year-end.  This is just the thread to get be going.  

For starters, I'll address the stock market. 

The current market - which started in 2009 - is the longest bull market in history.  Trump has had nothing to do with that.  At most, I would give Trump credit for not doing anything - so far - that would reverse the market trend.  (An example would be trying to impose trade tariffs.)  I will also give him credit for stoking the short-term market perspective with his corporate tax breaks.  But that doesn't mean that's the best thing for our economy long term.  The market priortizes immediate gains over the future - that's simply it's nature.

I am not predicting a market or economic crash.  I predict a market "correction" and longer this bull market runs, the bigger that correction will be.  Ultimately, the basis of economic stimulation must come from the bottom up.  I see nothing that encourages that.  Trickle down doesn't work.  It has been demonstrated not to work.

Maybe Trump's "infrastructure plan" will serve to provide a bottom up stimulus, but I seriously doubt it.  

3 hours ago, homersapien said:

Man, talking about pumping up a resume'.   :laugh:

However, this being the "serious" thread, I have an obligation to provide a substantive response.  I've already been thinking of compiling a list of Trump disasters - many of which are unprecidented - to publish at year-end.  This is just the thread to get be going.  

For starters, I'll address the stock market. 

The current market - which started in 2009 - is the longest bull market in history.  Trump has had nothing to do with that.  At most, I would give Trump credit for not doing anything - so far - that would reverse the market trend.  (An example would be trying to impose trade tariffs.)  I will also give him credit for stoking the short-term market perspective with his corporate tax breaks.  But that doesn't mean that's the best thing for our economy long term.  The market priortizes immediate gains over the future - that's simply it's nature.

I am not predicting a market or economic crash.  I predict a market "correction" and longer this bull market runs, the bigger that correction will be.  Ultimately, the basis of economic stimulation must come from the bottom up.  I see nothing that encourages that.  Trickle down doesn't work.  It has been demonstrated not to work.

Maybe Trump's "infrastructure plan" will serve to provide a bottom up stimulus, but I seriously doubt it.  

You’re wrong to say Trump has nothing to do with the bull market. Market confidence rise was a direct result of him being elected. Furthermore, his policies incentivized investors to invest more, and also for corporations to put more money into American markets. I believe we’ve already discussed this.

Also, the way it dropped when Russia news came out last week further evidences that the “bump” since November 2016 was related to Trump election. No one is claiming he’s responsible for the entire bull market, just that the extensive rise is creditable to him. Look at the charts. 

I’m not saying that the entire market behavior is due to him - rather, it’s in part due to him.

6 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

You’re wrong to say Trump has nothing to do with the bull market. Market confidence rise was a direct result of him being elected. Furthermore, his policies incentivized investors to invest more, and also for corporations to put more money into American markets. I believe we’ve already discussed this.

Also, the way it dropped when Russia news came out last week further evidences that the “bump” since November 2016 was related to Trump election. No one is claiming he’s responsible for the entire bull market, just that the extensive rise is creditable to him. Look at the charts. 

I’m not saying that the entire market behavior is due to him - rather, it’s in part due to him.

My point was that it's delusional to list the current market as one of Trumps "major accomplishments".

That's like claiming he hasn't yet initiated a global crisis as an accomplishment. These things take time.   ;D 

Just now, homersapien said:

My point was that it's delusional to list the current market as one of Trumps "major accomplishments".

That's like claiming he hasn't yet initiated a global crisis as an accomplishment. 

These things take time. 

Oh good grief. He cut back regs, the market responded. Hence, accomplishment. Very simple.

6 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

No, actually, that's evidence that the market is nervously anticipating for the s***-to-hit-the-fan in the Trump administration.    :laugh:

Just now, homersapien said:

No, actually, that's evidence that the market is nervously anticipating for the s***-to-hit-the-fan in the Trump administration.    :laugh:

And once the steam died down, the market gained points toward end of the week. Go see for yourself.

Hell, even fortune.com says it evidences the boom  was related to Trump. 

1 minute ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Oh good grief. He cut back regs, the market responded. Hence, accomplishment. Very simple.

How about naming the top five regulations by impact to the economy that he eliminated?  

Everyone talks about "regulations" but no one provides any specifics.  

Most regulations are there for a reason and eliminating them is not necessarily a good thing for the economy.  Remember 2008? 

2 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

And once the steam died down, the market gained points toward end of the week. Go see for yourself.

Hell, even fortune.com says it evidences the boom  was related to Trump. 

Yeah, and the smart money is taking profits and reallocating.

And one year hardly constitutes a "boom".  More like a "pop".  

The market is not the economy.  The economy is a trailing indicator.  No president can boost the economy simply by getting elected. 

26 minutes ago, homersapien said:

How about naming the top five regulations by impact to the economy that he eliminated?  

Everyone talks about "regulations" but no one provides any specifics.  

Most regulations are there for a reason and eliminating them is not necessarily a good thing for the economy.  Remember 2008? 

Within days of taking office, he signed two executive orders supporting the construction of Keystone XL and Dakota Access - which Obama refused to back, due in part to environmental concerns. Thus, these orders incentivize infrastructure investments. In fact, about 29 of Trump's executive orders have reduced regulations. The war on coal and the resistance to home oil drilling is over... which ultimately means decreased energy prices and improved economic growth. 

Hell, simply by not creating more regs, combined with the plans to reform laws that prevent banks like DF from increased lending, Trump admin is raising business confidence. This results in higher business activity and INCREASED STOCK PRICES. 

Your turn.

14 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Yeah, and the smart money is taking profits and reallocating.

And one year hardly constitutes a "boom".  More like a "pop".  

The market is not the economy.  The economy is a trailing indicator.  No president can boost the economy simply by getting elected. 

Yes. Has to fulfill promises, which Trump has done. (See my former response re regulations)

33 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Yes. Has to fulfill promises, which Trump has done. (See my former response re regulations)

See my former response re regulations.

You're drinking the kool aid.

37 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Within days of taking office, he signed two executive orders supporting the construction of Keystone XL and Dakota Access - which Obama refused to back, due in part to environmental concerns. Thus, these orders incentivize infrastructure investments. In fact, about 29 of Trump's executive orders have reduced regulations. The war on coal and the resistance to home oil drilling is over... which ultimately means decreased energy prices and improved economic growth. 

Hell, simply by not creating more regs, combined with the plans to reform laws that prevent banks like DF from increased lending, Trump admin is raising business confidence. This results in higher business activity and INCREASED STOCK PRICES. 

Your turn.

Seriously?  The Keystone pipeline is driving the market?  :laugh:

You need to back that up with some data.

14 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Seriously?  The Keystone pipeline is driving the market?  :laugh:

You need to back that up with some data.

wow!!! Go look at TransCanada stock since the executive order!!!!!!! Literally creates thousands of jobs. 

Screen Shot 2017-12-12 at 9.46.26 PM.png

12 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

wow!!! Go look at TransCanada stock since the executive order!!!!!!! Literally creates thousands of jobs. 

Screen Shot 2017-12-12 at 9.46.26 PM.png

BS

You are freaking nuts if you think the Keystone pipeline is a significant stimulus to the U.S. ecomony, much less the stock price of a Canadian company.

11 minutes ago, homersapien said:

BS

You are freaking nuts if you think the Keystone pipeline is a significant stimulus to the U.S. ecomony, much less the stock price of a Canadian company.

It’s listed on the NYSE genius; being a Canadian corporation is IRRELEVANT. Plenty of public companies listed on US indexes are incorporated in other countries. It has and will create hundreds and thousands of American jobs. 

23 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

It’s listed on the NYSE genius; being a Canadian corporation is IRRELEVANT. Plenty of public companies listed on US indexes are incorporated in other countries. It has and will create hundreds and thousands of American jobs. 

It's TransCanada's stock price that is irrelevent, doofus.

Archived