2018 3* OL Walker Culver (Va. Tech)

ellitor

11 P5 conference offers including AU, tOSU, & Va. Tech.

Former Colorado OL commit receives Auburn offer 

The offensive line dominoes began to fall Monday night.

Trey Hill committed to Georgia, which should set the stage for Auburn’s busy offensive line recruiting to come. Shortly after that decision, former Colorado offensive line commit Walker Culver from Chattanooga, Tenn., announced he’d received an offer from the Tigers on Monday night.

Culver has camped at Auburn in the past and visited this summer, so this isn’t a guy freshly on the Tigers’ radar. In fact, SEC Country caught up with Culver on Monday night, and he said the communication has been fairly constant since his freshman year.

“I talked to Coach [Chip] Lindsey on the phone. Ever since freshman year, I’ve been communicating with Auburn coaches and going to camps. I think I’ve been on their radar for quite some time,” Culver said. “I think they recently had a spot open up, unexpected numbers is what they said. They went ahead and reconsidered my film and made an offer to me on a phone call.”

Culver has received double-digit offers throughout his recruitment. Ohio State and Virginia Tech are the two programs heavily involved right now, but he also holds offers from Colorado, North Carolina, Mississippi State and others.

It’s not going to be easy to jump the Hokies and the Buckeyes, who both played a key role in Culver’s Nov. 28 de-commitment from Colorado. But if any program can do it, it might be Auburn.

Image-1-1-1_dwg4un.png
Young Walker Culver (right) sits in Jordan-Hare Stadium with his father, Dennis, and older brother, Matthew. (Special to SEC Country)

When Culver tweeted his Auburn offer, the attached pictures were slightly different than most. He posted the obligatory logo, stadium and campus photo, but Culver also added a little personal touch to his announcement. Culver included a childhood photo of himself with family members wearing Auburn gear in Jordan-Hare Stadium.

In the photo, he’s with his father, Dennis Culver, and older brother, Matthew Culver. Both are Auburn alumni.

“I grew up around Auburn and an Auburn fan,” Culver said. “It’s definitely very special to me personally. I’ve worked at this for a long time. I grew up in an Auburn family, so it’s definitely something I was very honored to receive.”

At 6-foot-6 and 273 pounds, Culver is listed as an offensive tackle. He said he’d be willing to play tackle or guard at the next level. The Tigers’ staff hasn’t had that conversation yet about where he’d fit into the offense.

There are several discussions the Culver family will have this week.

With the early signing period quickly approaching, this Auburn offer will force some pause. Initially, Culver looked ready to make his decision between Virginia Tech and Ohio State soon. He was planning to sign early. Now that Auburn has entered the picture, it will be tough for him to choose the Tigers and sign in less than 10 days without having taken an official visit.

When he spoke with Lindsey on the phone, they had preliminary official visit conversations. Auburn coaches told him he could take it this upcoming week or wait until January, though that would make his early-signing decision for him.

It’s all moving fast for now.

“We’re still looking around, and we’ll definitely need some time to sit down and talk about everything,” Culver said. “We’ll definitely have to talk as a family. We’re trying to map everything out, and with the early signing period, it complicates things and puts a little time crunch on decision-making. That’s still something we’re discussing. The clock is getting eaten up. We’re trying to find time.”

He will need at least two years in the program before being a contributor. He’s a little undersized at 270 and isn’t manhandling his competition like he probably should be in HS. I’m down to take him though if the staff thinks he could start down the road. We don’t need an immediate starting tackle next season in this class assuming one of our returning six tackles step up.

Herb Hand needs to put down his pots and pans and really go after those highly rated OTs in Florida really hard then if that doesn't work out, give this kid an offer. 

52 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

Herb Hand needs to put down his pots and pans and really go after those highly rated OTs in Florida really hard

He is & has been.

4 hours ago, AU-HANDLEY-TIGER said:

Excellent, should have offered him before Hill, I would rather have a man raised in an Auburn family any day.

I think a player rather take a later offer with the belief that the coaching staff really needs him vs taking an offer and having to face that the staff wants someone else more and you're the backup plan 

Just comes off better

28 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I think a player rather take a later offer with the belief that the coaching staff really needs him vs taking an offer and having to face that the staff wants someone else more and you're the backup plan 

Just comes off better

Come on man , Hill turns down Auburn and an hour later they call you ? He is the backup plan. An early offer is better in this case .

11 minutes ago, AU-HANDLEY-TIGER said:

Come on man , Hill turns down Auburn and an hour later they call you ? He is the backup plan. An early offer is better in this case .

a masqueraded truth usually hurts less than the alternative 

24 minutes ago, AU-HANDLEY-TIGER said:

An offer is an offer.  I am sure this kid is no moron and knew he was not top of AU's board.  That doesn't mean that he doesn't still want to go to the same school as his family.  Some times you have to be patient and hope things fall into place for you.  

3 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

An offer is an offer.  I am sure this kid is no moron and knew he was not top of AU's board.  That doesn't mean that he doesn't still want to go to the same school as his family.  Some times you have to be patient and hope things fall into place for you.  

You people totally derailed this post , notice my first post?

He absolutely is a backup plan.  We only have 7 spots remaining. Coaches are now very specific with the recruits they want, especially this year with the early signing period. If your #1 falls through you gotta move down the list quick. Makes sense to me. AU wanted a certain # of OL this year and they are going after it. If he is an AU man all the better.

29 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

He absolutely is a backup plan.  We only have 7 spots remaining. Coaches are now very specific with the recruits they want, especially this year with the early signing period. If your #1 falls through you gotta move down the list quick. Makes sense to me. AU wanted a certain # of OL this year and they are going after it. If he is an AU man all the better.

6 now the Punter is committed.

A few years ago we flirted with another tackle from a small Tennessee prep school named Wesley Johnson. He was very similar in size and star ranking as Culver. Johnson ended up having a great college career at Vandy and is in the NFL now. Here’s to hoping Culver is cut from the same cloth. 

14 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

Look at Hastings. Came to AU after getting no big time offers, as a special teams player and wound up being in the big spotlight several times this year as one of our top producing wide receivers.

If you look at the guys we are still recruiting for OL all are tackles. We had Trey evaluated so high we were willing to take him regardless since we thought he could also play center. Now with him gone we are looking for tackles.

6 minutes ago, auol72 said:

If you look at the guys we are still recruiting for OL all are tackles. We had Trey evaluated so high we were willing to take him regardless since we thought he could also play center. Now with him gone we are looking for tackles.

We may not be done at Guard. We are interested in a Guard grad transfer from Cal & it hasn't been reporrtted yet if AU likes Culver at G or T.

If we are looking at a guard transfer its because we think he can play center. This kid is a tackle or nothing at all. very few 6'6" guards work out. Cannot pull or get leverage on a 2/3 technique.

Just now, auol72 said:

If we are looking at a guard transfer its because we think he can play center. This kid is a tackle or nothing at all. very few 6'6" guards work out. Cannot pull or get leverage on a 2/3 technique.

Actually Keith is saying that's not necessarily true. He is seeing more & more taller guys at Guard & center in college & the pros.

I am not going to debate it, but there was a reason we were better with Dunn at Center. Tall guys can pass block better for sure, but if we are going to run the offense we do now you better not have tall guards. Why do you think all the pull plays went to the right, pulling Harrel? Guys over about 6'4" have a hard time getting leverage and movement on 2/3 techniques. There are exceptions but very few. However, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

1 hour ago, auol72 said:

I am not going to debate it, but there was a reason we were better with Dunn at Center. Tall guys can pass block better for sure, but if we are going to run the offense we do now you better not have tall guards. Why do you think all the pull plays went to the right, pulling Harrel? Guys over about 6'4" have a hard time getting leverage and movement on 2/3 techniques. There are exceptions but very few. However, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Braden Smith is 6'6", according to his profile here: http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/braden_smith_907492.html

I don't think anyone would question his abilities as an OG.  I suppose Braden may be an exception (as you state, there are exceptions), but height alone should not be the discriminating factor as to whether or not a guy can play the role.  I'm sure there are plenty of tall OL that can't play tackle because they don't have quick enough feet or long enough arms, etc.

Archived