#93 Coynis Miller

Targets

#2 CD Daniels DB
#5 Justyn Ross WR
#7 Michael Parker TE (Bama)
#14 Nate Watson ATH
#26 Jalyn Armour-Davis DB (Bama)
#71 Tank Jenkins OL

How did this happen? I thought it was a law that any db or wr named Davis had to sign with Auburn.

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

Rosters

Auburn Commits

#9 Seth Williams
#20 Asa Martin
#40 Josh Marsh
#70 Kameron Stutts
#88 Shedrick Jackson
#93 Coynis Miller

Targets

#2 CD Daniels DB (Memphis)
#5 Justyn Ross WR
#7 Michael Parker TE (Bama)
#14 Nate Watson ATH (Miss St.)
#26 Jalyn Armour-Davis DB (Bama)
#71 Tank Jenkins OL

Other Notables

#3 Ladamian Webb RB (Miss St.) I believe he is injured & won't play
#4 James Foster QB
#12 Jack West QB (Stanford)
#24 Evan McPhearson K/P (Florida)
#29 Jakorey Hawkins DB (Ole Miss)
#42 Jaquez Jones (Ole Miss)
#44 La'Dedric Jackson LB
#64 Ka'Darian Hill OL (Ole Miss)
#68 Allen Love DL
#95 Timaje Porter

Coynis tweeted that he's not playing.

2 hours ago, ArgoEagle said:

How did this happen? I thought it was a law that any db or wr named Davis had to sign with Auburn.

He goes to St. Pauls.  That alone kills our chances.

1 hour ago, WFE12 said:

Coynis tweeted that he's not playing.

Seems like an awfully great honor to be passing up.  Kind of like those kids who aren't playing in a bowl game because they are going declare for the draft...

That is unless the kid is injured or has an ACT or something similar that requires him to miss.

46 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

Seems like an awfully great honor to be passing up.  Kind of like those kids who aren't playing in a bowl game because they are going declare for the draft...

That is unless the kid is injured or has an ACT or something similar that requires him to miss.

He’s injured.

edit: I’m pretty sure he is!

second edit: dealing with a knee injury. 

28 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

Actually some kids do it to give other kids opportunities to get themselves exposed & possibly a scholly like TD Moultry did last year til they needed him late for the event due to other injuries. There is nothing for CM to gain by playing in the game.

AL-MS All-Star Tuesday top performers

There was a Mississippi skill player and an Alabama lineman that stole the show on the first day of Alabama-Mississippi All-Star practices.

Barton Simmons -

HATTIESBURG, Miss. – The first day of Alabama-Mississippi All-Star practices kicked off on Tuesday with a two-a-day session. 247Sports was on hand to see both the Alabama and Mississippi teams practice on the first day and we bring you our top performers

Malik Heath
Malik Heath (Photo: Gene Swindoll, Gene's Page, 247Sports)

Alpha Dog

Tank Jenkins, OG, Alabama

Jenkins has been trending down some in the rankings but he put a stop to that with his Tuesday performance. It didn’t look like anybody was more motivated or excited to be there than Jenkins based on his performance. He had multiple pancake blocks during the inside run period and was physically dominating every defender that was put in front of him. He looked like much more than just a road-grader in pass protection, showing some reactive quickness and control. He may not have the same ceiling as some other prospects in attendance but he was the best football player on either roster on Tuesday. Auburn, Louisville, Oklahoma and Ole Miss are the top four for Jenkins who plans to sign in February.

Next five from Alabama

1. Seth Williams, WR – The Auburn commit was as consistent as any prospect over the two practice sessions, flashing his athleticism in the process. Williams comes out of his breaks well at 215 pounds and can stop on a dime. Though not a seasoned route-runner, his catch radius and strong hands make him a target who can make up for less than perfect passes.

2. Nathaniel Watson, WR – Watson is a hybrid that plays wide receiver but could project as a move tight end or H-Back offensively as he adds weight to a thick frame. We loved the way he made himself big and available for his quarterbacks, showing consistent hands and deceptive speed throughout the day. He’s committed to Mississippi State but Auburn is emerging as a factor.

3. Kevontae' Ruggs, S/LB – Ruggs worked out with the defensive back group but the Alabama team is using him in a strong safety role that keeps him around the line of scrimmage. That’s likely Ruggs’ best position, some sort of hybrid linebacker spot. He’s very good in those underneath spaces in pass coverage and he’s got a great frame with some unique burst moving forward. His teammates even went so far as to marvel at him as a “freak”.

4. Justyn Ross, WR – He was playing injured with a bum ankle but in the afternoon session, Ross was really impressive finding open areas in zone coverage and being a consistent big target for his quarterbacks. Clemson, Alabama and Auburn remain his top three schools with a February decision scheduled.

5. Carlos Davis, RB – Particularly in the afternoon, every time an Alabama back broke off a big run, it was Davis. He showed legit burst out of the backfield and is a tough guy to handle in space. The Muscle Shoals product has an FCS offer list.

Top five from Mississippi

1. Malik Heath, WR – Heath could have easily been named the Alpha Dog of the entire day. He dominated the Mississippi practice and actually looked more explosive than any wide receiver on the Alabama side too. He was talking all day long but he backed it up with one-handed grabs, downfield plays, smooth route-running and great energy. He’s a Mississippi State commit and though Florida is chasing and Heath hasn’t shut things down, he’s expected to stick with the Bulldogs.

2. Jeffery Johnson, DT – A recent commit to Tulane, Johnson is an absolute steal for the Green Wave. He was the most active defensive lineman on either roster and showed the ability to both play big and take up space but also show some range and get down the line of scrimmage.

3. Jaden Crumedy, DE – A Mississippi state commit, Crumedy was probably the most athletic edge player on either roster. He’s got a good frame, has a good get-off and if anyone was going to win with speed, it was him.

4. Johnquarise Patterson, WR – Another Mississippi State commit, Patterson was one of the more fluid route-runners we saw. He also showed some elite playmaking ability in the red zone one-on-ones with the ability to go up and get the football.

5. Karlos Dillard, LB – Dillard isn’t a big linebacker but he’s extremely athletic and he was also really physical. Whether it was taking on a fullback, or just taking great angles to thud up a running back in scrimmage periods, Dillard showed a really good feel for the linebacker position.

This and that

**The common theme around the practices at both Alabama and Mississippi is that an early signing period is unnecessary, and that’s putting it lightly.

“I hate it,” said Jeffrey Johnson who plans to sign early with Tulane. “It seems like it’s not going the right way. It’s strange to me.”

“I think it’s bull,” said Brad Cumbest, a Mississippi State commit. “No need to change something we’ve done for a long time. It don’t affect me any but I don’t think it was necessary at all.”

The consensus was strong among the players I’ve talked to in Hattiesburg. The early signing period only complicates things for these guys.

**One of the highest ranked prospects on the Mississippi squad is Kwatrivous Johnson, a massive 6-foot-7 offensive tackle. There’s no question when he gets his hands on a defender, they’re in trouble. But don’t expect the Mississippi State commit to make some instant impact. He’s still extremely raw in his pass-set and opened up the gate regularly to get beat inside. The skillset remains elite but Bulldog fans should exercise some patience.

**Both quarterbacks for the Alabama roster, Jack West and James Foster, had strong afternoons. Though there were the expected miscommunications and timing issues you see in all-star settings, both guys made some really crisp throws and looked the part of major college quarterbacks. West is committed to Stanford and Foster has emerged as a high priority for the likes of LSU and Texas A&M.

**Kickers are often very inconsistent at these types of events but Evan McPherson a former Mississippi State commit who flipped to Dan Mullen at Florida certainly looked like a major college kicker. He got great lift and looked consistent in the opportunities he was given on Tuesday.

**Qvaius Currie reminded me of O’Bryan Goodson from last year’s game. Goodson was an undersized but active defensive tackle for the Mississippi squad that flew under the radar but was one of the best true freshman in the country on the defensive line this fall for Memphis. Currie doesn’t have the same power and strength as Goodson and probably has a lower ceiling but he’s still extremely active as an undersized interior guy and as a penetrator was causing a lot of problems.

***247Sports analyst John Garcia contributed to this report. 

Article already posted above.

Two Auburn commits who were invited to the game have opted out of playing — Coynis Miller and Josh Marsh.

Miller is still battling a knee concern from the end of his high school season. It’s nothing to fret over, but he decided to take the safe approach and remove himself from the game. Marsh is dealing with walking pneumonia, which forced him out of the all-star game.

Asa Martin and Shedrick Jackson, both playing in this game, will participate in bowl practices next week also. 

There are several Auburn commits and targets playing

The game started at 12:00 Noon and is being televised on the following stations. 

Alabama Stations (6):

WBRC - Birmingham WAFF - Huntsville WSFA - Montgomery WTVM - Columbus - Opelika WDFX - Dothan
UTV 44 (WFNA)
Mobile

Mississippi Stations (7):

WLBT - Jackson WLOX Biloxi WDAM - Hattiesburg WTOK - Meridian WTVA - Tupelo WABG - Greenville WMC - Memphis (TN) 

Wouldn’t be a bad idea to send Smoke an offer imo. I know we have Asa coming in but I doubt Pettway comes back and we all know 4 rbs really isn’t enough anymore

1 hour ago, JMassie11 said:

Wouldn’t be a bad idea to send Smoke an offer imo. I know we have Asa coming in but I doubt Pettway comes back and we all know 4 rbs really isn’t enough anymore

I thought the same thing. He looks like a hoss!!  

I have heard good things about QB James Foster from Sydney Lanier.  He has not impressed me at all with his passing. He has had a couple of drops but most passes are off target.  

The Center for Alabama is driving me crazy with his shotgun snaps. They are way to slow and have a high arc. An unblocked lineman can get to the QB before the ball. 

23 minutes ago, jared52 said:

Wow, is the talent in Alabama that bad this year?

The talent was there. All Star teams are normally not very prepared.  This Alabama team was prepared less than normal.  Blocking schemes were not good. WR dropped quite a few passes. One QB (West, committed to Samford) was very good but had a couple of costly picks. The other QB (Foster) had a hard time running and passing.  Asa Martin struggled most of the day because the blocking struggled.  This worries me because a couple of the OL are Auburn commits or targets.  Alabama had way too many three and outs causing the defense to wear down in the 2nd half.

I just don't think the Alabama preparation was as good as Mississippi. 

5 hours ago, around4ever said:

There are several Auburn commits and targets playing

The game started at 12:00 Noon and is being televised on the following stations. 

Alabama Stations (6):

WBRC - Birmingham WAFF - Huntsville WSFA - Montgomery WTVM - Columbus - Opelika WDFX - Dothan
UTV 44 (WFNA)
Mobile

Mississippi Stations (7):

WLBT - Jackson WLOX Biloxi WDAM - Hattiesburg WTOK - Meridian WTVA - Tupelo WABG - Greenville WMC - Memphis (TN) 

@around4ever pulling the other a4e in not knowing we had a thread on the game already. :laugh:

Reminder for anyone who missed the game like I did the replay is embedded on the OP.

5 hours ago, around4ever said:

I thought the same thing. He looks like a hoss!!  

He is and from what I’m told could be potentially better than a Pettway when he was healthy. If offered he’d take it

9 hours ago, JMassie11 said:

We have K. Martin, Miller and Barrett coming back. Possibly K. Johnson coming back as well, plus Asa Martin and Worm Shivers coming in. Whitlow is a promising RB that was redshirted this year due to injury. That's either six or seven, depending on what Kerryon does. I think we have other positions that need one of the few slots left more than RB.

About the game: I was pretty sure we were in a mess when I saw the first shotgun snap from center. If our coaches didn't correct that during practice, what else didn't they do? A rec-league pee-wee team finds a better long snapper than that.

11 hours ago, CR said:

This thing is the Pro Bowl of HS Football. Would not be sad to see it go away.

No it's not. It's an opportunity to compete & for some kids to get offers or better offers. This just happened to be a very ugly played game. That has not been the case in the past.

Archived