2020 NR RB Deondre Jackson

au_bsci_04

9 hours ago, bigbird said:

Follows his blockers well and sets his blocks up well too. His top end speed isn't there yet, but will get better in the next two years.

Was watching his highlights with my 6 year old son and he said, “Is that Kerryon Johnson?” 

Seems a fair enough comparison to me. Not lightning fast at the top but good vision, waits and hits the hole, and good balance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Not in that sense, no. Similar in that there's this former AU player out there recruiting lights out for somebody else and all of our fans (me included) thought getting him would be a great idea.

I think Rodney Garner may be a better comparison for Dell McGee than Dameyune Craig. 

• Like 1

Good to see Porter get credit for landing a recruit. He came in with a big time reputation as a recruiter maybe he's starting to find his groove.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, kd4au said:

Good to see Porter get credit for landing a recruit. He came in with a big time reputation as a recruiter maybe he's starting to find his groove.

No matter how good a recruiter is it takes time to build winnable relationships when you haven't been recruiting an area for a while if ever. Plus he has a lot more resources to work wtth at AU than UNC.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Well Dell appears to be a good on field coach as well & I haven't heard of him having a recruiting rock star personality either so may be worth the plunge if we can get him

Did I miss something? Are we trying to hire him? What about Horton? You can just point me in the right direction if you prefer 

4 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

Did I miss something?

Sounds like you may have forgotten every team gets to add a 10th on field assistant in January.

4 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

Are we trying to hire him?

Don't know. Right now it's just the AU fan base everywhere being hopeful Gus is trying to get him.

7 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

What about Horton?

May not matter. Dell doesn't have to stick at RB coach. He played DB at AU & could coach CBs while Brown coaches Ss or vice versa. There may be a spot for him at RB anyway. Horton has been looking to leave AU for the past 3 or 4 years & may be ready to ta take a FCS HC job to do it.

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Horton has been looking to leave AU for the past 3 or 4 years & may be ready to ta take a FCS HC job to do it.

I thought Horton would be interested in taking the Central Arkansas position. In his hometown of Conway and his father won national championships there. However, Central Arkansas has promoted from within for the Head Coaching position.

https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/central-arkansas-promotes-brown-to-head-football-coach-120917

Do you know of another FCS position that might intrigue Horton?

2 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

Do you know of another FCS position that might intrigue Horton?

No. Just know he's been ready to leave & his work as ST coach this year didn't help matters any.

I would love to have Dell as much as anyone, but what are the chances he would leave UGA to come to AU? Is there a general feeling one way or the other?

10 minutes ago, CR said:

I would love to have Dell as much as anyone, but what are the chances he would leave UGA to come to AU? Is there a general feeling one way or the other?

Haven't seen any.

34 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Sounds like you may have forgotten every team gets to add a 10th on field assistant in January.

Don't know. Right now it's just the AU fan base everywhere being hopeful Gus is trying to get him.

May not matter. Dell doesn't have to stick at RB coach. He played DB at AU & could coach CBs while Brown coaches Ss or vice versa. There may be a spot for him at RB anyway. Horton has been looking to leave AU for the past 3 or 4 years & may be ready to ta take a FCS HC job to do it.

Gotch ya. I remembered the 10th assistant, but I guess I was looking out for a ST guy.

Steele, Garner and T Williams I feel like can go against anyone and have a good chance of landing that player.
I don't get that impression from anyone we have on the offensive side. Good, but not elite recruiters. I would prefer an ace recruiter if that person was available.

27 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

If Horton leaves, we’d have two spots to fill right?

I hear that there is a 5 star RB wanting to play under his dad in college. His dad coaches RBs at Charlotte and could use an upgrade. I’m not suggesting, just saying.

• Like 1

If Horton leaves what do y'all think of Porter coaching RB's and hiring Bolware (not sure of spelling) back for ST and TE coach? And plus  someone for what is the position of need with the tenth coach.

5 minutes ago, kd4au said:

If Horton leaves what do y'all think of Porter coaching RB's and hiring Bolware (not sure of spelling) back for ST and TE coach? And plus  someone for what is the position of need with the tenth coach.

After this last year, I truly want a dedicated ST coach.  I feel like the TE could split time between WR & OL and get most of what they need from our offense.

• Like 1

I know someone said speed will come in the next year or 2 for this Sophmore, but he sure does look slow in the highlights.  6' 200lbs is great size for 10th grader.  Will likely grow another 2-4 inches and add another 20 lbs if he works hard.  That would be another KP when he got to campus.  That would be great but still would like to see a little bit more break away speed.  If you are not out running kids in high school you darn sure are not going to be doing it in SEC ball.

1 minute ago, LKEEL75 said:

After this last year, I truly want a dedicated ST coach.  I feel like the TE could split time between WR & OL and get most of what they need from our offense.

Doesn't have to be a dedicated ST coach. The STs were well when Fountain was doing it when he was also the TEs & HBs coach.

Regardless I doubt it's a dedicated ST coach. We have 5 full time coaches on O & 4 on D. The 10th coach is likely to be on D.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, kd4au said:

Did not know Boulware was also the RB coach with the Sooners. RB/ST and a salary of $400,000. Under contract until May 31, 2018

Edited by aufan57
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Doesn't have to be a dedicated ST coach. The STs were well when Fountain was doing it when he was also the TEs & HBs coach.

Regardless I doubt it's a dedicated ST coach. We have 5 full time coaches on O & 4 on D. The 10th coach is likely to be on D.

Well there is always Farmer Fran

2 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

Will likely grow another 2-4 inches and add another 20 lbs if he works hard.  That would be another KP when he got to campus.

Bubba was 5'11. At potentially 6'2-6'4 DJ would not be near as thick at that weight. Plus his running is not a bruising style.

5 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

If you are not out running kids in high school you darn sure are not going to be doing it in SEC ball.

There aren't many opportunities to break away from SEC defenses for any RB, high top end speed or not.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Bubba was 5'11. At potentially 6'2-6'4 DJ would not be near as thick at that weight. Plus his running is not a bruising style.

There aren't many opportunities to break away from SEC defenses for any RB, high top end speed or not.

Both good points.  Either way, he just seems a step slower than I would want for a RB.  Hopefully age will bring some speed.

Edited by LKEEL75
  • Like 1