2018 3* CB Roger McCreary Commits to AU!!!

ellitor

Update 1/24/18: McCreary commits to AU!!!

4_5351783.JPG

Decommitted from South Alabama
Has AU offer (12/10/17) & real interest from Bama & the Vols
Scheduled tp OV AU, Bama, & Vols in January

Edited by ellitor

17 minutes ago, ellitor said:

What do you think of his film @bigbird?

I think the whomever is filming needs to be fired.

As far as his play goes, he seems to lack  a lot of technique.  It seems he plays the position by out "athleting" his competition.  He seems to have adequate speed and plays the ball well, but doesn't seem to use his body as effectively as he should.

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

As far as his play goes, he seems to lack  a lot of technique.  It seems he plays the position by out "athleting" his competition.  He seem to have adequate speed and plays the ball well, but doesn't seem to use his body as effectively as he should.

You seem to like the word seem

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, AU04ever said:

Seems to be...

Golf has balanced it out since getting into his 3rd millinea it looks like.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Roger McCreary Decommits From South Alabama

Roger McCreary, the three-star safety that has been committed to South Alabama since the spring, has decided to reopen his recruiting a day after receiving an offer from

Doug Konkel -

Roger McCreary, the three-star safety that has been committed to South Alabama since the spring, has decided to reopen his recruiting a day after receiving an offer from Auburn.

"I'm not committing right away anywhere," he said via direct message. "I'm just fully open with my recruiting process."

He also has offers from Louisiana-Lafayette, Tulane and Western Kentucky, among others.

McCreary plans on waiting until February to sign.

On-the-rise in-state CB reacts to Auburn offer, sets OVs  

Roger McCreary received his Auburn offer just this week, but his relationship with the program goes back to earlier in the year.

As a South Alabama cornerback commit, McCreary visited The Plains for a summer camp. McCreary said he didn’t have much familiarity with Auburn (and vice versa) when he made that trip. But that all changed during that visit.

Throughout the season, linebackers coach Travis Williams stayed in regular contact with McCreary. As the Tigers’ recruiting class took shape, there was (and continues to be) a glaring need at cornerback. All the more reason Auburn remained in the loop with McCreary, including hosting him for the Georgia and Alabama games.

When the in-home visit period hit, Williams stopped by Mobile, Ala., to see McCreary. Earlier this week, it was defensive coordinator Kevin Steele who went to see him. The next day, Williams called with the offer.

Auburn football-Auburn Tigers-Auburn-Kevin Steele
Auburn defensive coordinator Kevin Steele went to see Roger McCreary earlier this week. (Wade Rackley/Auburn Athletics)

“By me going to the camp, that’s when they started communicating with me throughout the season. They invited me to their games against Alabama and Georgia. I talked to coach T-Will. He came to visit me last week and talked to me about how the process was going. Coach Steele came Monday and talked about my film and what he thinks I can bring. That’s when Coach Williams called and said they wanted to offer me,” McCreary said. “I was just excited.”

The lone caveat: He was still committed to South Alabama.

But not for long. McCreary de-committed from South Alabama on Tuesday morning, a move which had to be expected by the Jaguars’ coaching staff. There aren’t any immediate decisions to be made, but with multiple Power 5 programs entering the picture, McCreary knew he needed to be honest about where South Alabama stood.

Now McCreary has a clear plan going forward.

“The plan is to keep my recruitment open and see where this takes me,” he said. “I’m going to wait on my officials and see what schools I end up feeling comfortable going to.”

McCreary has three official visits lined up, on three consecutive weekends.

He’ll visit Auburn on Jan. 12, then Alabama on 19 and finally Tennessee on Jan. 26. The Tide haven’t offered, but McCreary has recently been in contact with secondary coach Derrick Ansley. His communication with the Volunteers was initiated immediately after Jeremy Pruitt’s move from Alabama to Tennessee. He hasn’t been offered by Tennessee yet, either, but it wouldn’t be surprising to see that change soon.

McCreary is open to all remaining options, but he admits Auburn will have one major advantage over the rest of the competition.

“Auburn, they’ve been talking to me throughout the whole season,” McCreary said. “And then, during their games, I just really like the atmosphere. I know what the crowd’s like, and I really like that.”

6 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Does he really have a commitable offer from Auburn?

Don't know. Haven't seen a report on that. The staff wants 2 more CBs in the class. You would think if it was committable he may have jumped on it already. Also I know Bird isn't impressed with him but I know a some coaches on The Bunker, specifically in the Mobile area, are very impressed with him. Not taking anything away from Bird at all. Just giving a different perspective.

Edited by ellitor
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Don't know. Haven't seen a report on that. The staff wants 2 more CBs in the class. You would think if it was committable he may have jumped on it already. Also I know Bird isn't impressed with him but I know a some coaches on The Bunker, specifically in the Mobile area, are very impressed with him. Not taking anything away from Bird at all. Just giving a different perspective.

I said his film showed a lack of technique. He is obviously a very good athlete with decent speed. More indifferent than unimpressed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

I said his film showed a lack of technique. He is obviously a very good athlete with decent speed. More indifferent than unimpressed.

Do you think that his athleticism is SEC level and that with proper coaching he would be a worthwhile investment with a scholly?

22 minutes ago, fredst said:

Do you think that his athleticism is SEC level and that with proper coaching he would be a worthwhile investment with a scholly?

That's hard to say based on some really bad film work.  To me athleticism will open the door, but heart, determination, and hard work allow you to go through it.  Some kids take coaching better than others. I can't tell you if he is one of the other.

• Like 3

With his speed and a punter that can hang in the clouds, he might make a great gunner.

he could be standing next to the punt returner drinking a cup of coffee when he caught the ball, lol

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

That's hard to say based on some really bad film work.  To me athleticism will open the door, but heart, determination, and hard work allow you to go through it.  Some kids take coaching better than others. I can't tell you if he is one of the other.

That's a wise bird.  I've seen kids with just enough talent to crack the door, but enough heart and determination to squeeze through it and have a very good career!  I've seen others with enough talent for a hangar door connected to a conveyor belt, but with other issues (laziness, "off the field" issues, etc.) and never accomplished much of anything at all.

Exhibit A - Mike Singletary

Exhibit B - Has anyone ever heard of Lennie Patrick?

• Like 2

Did he really get a celebration penalty for raising his hand in the air on the pick 6 where he took it like 80 yards and broke a couple of tackles? Refs...

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 8:44 AM, bigbird said:

I agree 100%  I couldn't even watch the whole video due to getting dizzy. How can anyone make an assessment on him with that video?

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...