Pettway Out for Peach Bowl

PigskinPat

So what’s going on here??

https://www.thescore.com/ncaaf/news/1445471

Auburn's trip to the Peach Bowl will happen without Kamryn Pettway, as the running back won't play against UCF on Jan. 1 due to injury.

Head coach Gus Malzahn broke the news to Josh Vitale of the Opelika-Auburn News on Wednesday that Pettway's shoulder blade injury will sideline him for the bowl game. It's the same ailment that saw him miss the Tigers' last five games.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kamryn Pettway will not return for Peach Bowl

Kamryn Pettway will miss yet another game and his career at Auburn might be over.

AUBURN, Alabama — Auburn running back Kamryn Pettway will not be available for the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl.

Pettway fractured his shoulder blade against Arkansas earlier this season. Auburn coach Gus Malzahn did not say whether the upcoming absence is related to the injury.

Will he return next season?

"I'll get with him and we'll cross that bridge at the appropriate time," Malzahn said.

I hate to see this. I honestly thought he would suite up and take it to UCF. I am sure KJ, Kmart, and the rest of the stable, will do their part in the win.  Either way, we will rush for over 250 yards against UCF and hit them for another 245 in the air and likely more.  We will put up 500 yards or close to it. Look for UCF to put up around 375 yards or less. Just my gut feeling today.

26 minutes ago, AUFlyer99 said:

No way this guy comes back.  

27 minutes ago, CR said:

Next stop will be undrafted free agent in NFL training camp.

Unfortunately, I completely agree with both of you!

1 hour ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Damn pettway . He’s 100 percent healthy 

Just a feeling but i think we've seen the last of KP at Auburn. If so, i certainly wish him the best.

1 minute ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Just a feeling but i think we've seen the last of KP at Auburn. If so, i certainly wish him the best.

I know man. I hate liking this post. Flat out beast . 

3 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

I know man. I hate liking this post. Flat out beast . 

I know some may think he needs to come back to increase his draft stock but i think leaving would be the right decision at this point. This year was the year to help solidify showing what he did the previous year was legit. Unfortunately, injuries prevented that. I'm no draft expert but i stand by saying that I'm not sure it would've improved drastically this year.

Yes, he may put up monster numbers if he comes back but just b/c you put up monster numbers in CFB doesn't mean that player will be for sure a high pick and translate over to what many NFL teams are looking for now at the RB position. Just my opinion. With KP's running style he's a situational 3rd down RB in the NFL...possibly some FB depending on the team(like Prosch). Prosch got a contract extension before the season with the Texans for $5.75 mil 3 years with $2.7 mil guaranteed. He was drafted in the 6th round. I consider KP a 5th round pick at best. With a wife and kid i'm sure KP would take a situation like Prosch currently has.

at some point I just stop caring. give some hungry players the opportunity to step up and get experience for next year. if KJ goes pro I will be interestef to see if he still plays. betting he will

27 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I know some may think he needs to come back to increase his draft stock but i think leaving would be the right decision at this point. This year was the year to help solidify showing what he did the previous year was legit. Unfortunately, injuries prevented that. I'm no draft expert but i stand by saying that I'm not sure it would've improved drastically this year.

Yes, he may put up monster numbers if he comes back but just b/c you put up monster numbers in CFB doesn't mean that player will be for sure a high pick and translate over to what many NFL teams are looking for now at the RB position. Just my opinion. With KP's running style he's a situational 3rd down RB in the NFL...possibly some FB depending on the team(like Prosch). Prosch got a contract extension before the season with the Texans for $5.75 mil 3 years with $2.7 mil guaranteed. He was drafted in the 6th round. I consider KP a 5th round pick at best. With a wife and kid i'm sure KP would take a situation like Prosch currently has.

I understand all your points.

If he comes back healthy, he will make millions and millions more next year.

5 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Big for Malik Miller and Cam Martin

I would hope so but i'm pretty concerned about Malik Miller's future at AU. As in....does he really have one? I've been eager to see this kid all season but for whatever reasons he gets no carries at all. I think it's hard to say: he can't block.....not a good enough RB when we've not been able to see what he can really do. Some of the same comments I've see about MM are the same ones that were said about previous RBs we've had that produced 1,000 yard seasons so i really hope to see what MM can actually do. 

At this point, i have it in my head that KJ will be ready for the bowl game and the game plan will be of course to ride him to a victory so Kam would be the only other RB i'd expect to see.

2 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

I understand all your points.

If he comes back healthy, he will make millions and millions more next year.

My thing is that if he can't secure at best a 4th round pick by coming back then he should leave. He's already injury prone and plays a position with a short shelf life in the NFL. Say he goes 5th or 6th round vs. being a FA. Contract wise he'll be held to a 4 year contract being drafted vs a 3 year contract as a FA(correct me if i'm wrong). The 2nd contract is the biggest contract. If he leaves he'll at least save 1 year in age as the average age of RBs in the NFL 25/26. I'll be happy if he comes back. I'm just not as sure he'll be able to jump up far in the draft boards to justify it. 

1 hour ago, WarEagle1983 said:

My thing is that if he can't secure at best a 4th round pick by coming back then he should leave. He's already injury prone and plays a position with a short shelf life in the NFL. Say he goes 5th or 6th round vs. being a FA. Contract wise he'll be held to a 4 year contract being drafted vs a 3 year contract as a FA(correct me if i'm wrong). The 2nd contract is the biggest contract. If he leaves he'll at least save 1 year in age as the average age of RBs in the NFL 25/26. I'll be happy if he comes back. I'm just not as sure he'll be able to jump up far in the draft boards to justify it. 

Plus i found out he is 23. That is old for a player still not in the NFL. He needs to go...get in as a FA and show them in camp he can play and help a team. Look what happened to P BArber this year...it can happen

1 hour ago, WarEagle1983 said:

None of those contracts are guaranteed after the 1st and part of the 2nd round contracts. So it really doesn't matter much what the other terms are regarding years and what not.

1 minute ago, WDEKC said:

None of those contracts are guaranteed after the 1st and part of the 2nd round contracts.

My main point is that he'd be able to optimize his NFL career 2nd contract and more money quicker as a FA vs. being drafted if it's in the later rounds. Being a FA may not be that bad considering his position and situation. 

15 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Plus i found out he is 23. That is old for a player still not in the NFL. He needs to go...get in as a FA and show them in camp he can play and help a team. Look what happened to P BArber this year...it can happen

Yeah Peyton is a good example. He's likely to get a really nice pay bump with his 2nd contract. Last I remember...the average age of Rbs in the the NFL is 25. Having the opportunity to get a 2nd contract in the NFL is big. 

2 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I would hope so but i'm pretty concerned about Malik Miller's future at AU. As in....does he really have one? I've been eager to see this kid all season but for whatever reasons he gets no carries at all. I think it's hard to say: he can't block.....not a good enough RB when we've not been able to see what he can really do. Some of the same comments I've see about MM are the same ones that were said about previous RBs we've had that produced 1,000 yard seasons so i really hope to see what MM can actually do. 

At this point, i have it in my head that KJ will be ready for the bowl game and the game plan will be of course to ride him to a victory so Kam would be the only other RB i'd expect to see.

I mentioned in another thread that I think Malik is a little over weight.  Some guys can carry extra weight and some can't.  I think he's probably 10-15 pounds to heavy.  Let him get down to 210-215 and you'll see him get some of his burst back.  He was a very talented back in high school not that it translates always to D1 football but he's a better back then he's shown.  He still has a chance to be a very good back.  These are just my opinions but I think he was trying to be the 2nd big back, he and Bubba, and let KMart and Barrett be the change of pace backs with KJ mixed in as a do it all but Malik is just to heavy to be the same back he was prior.  

This isn't just a Malik Miller issue though there are several young players that need to change their bodies going into next year if they want to be major contributors.  I might make a topic about it on one of these slow football days

8 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I mentioned in another thread that I think Malik is a little over weight.  Some guys can carry extra weight and some can't.  I think he's probably 10-15 pounds to heavy.  Let him get down to 210-215 and you'll see him get some of his burst back.  He was a very talented back in high school not that it translates always to D1 football but he's a better back then he's shown.  He still has a chance to be a very good back.  These are just my opinions but I think he was trying to be the 2nd big back, he and Bubba, and let KMart and Barrett be the change of pace backs with KJ mixed in as a do it all but Malik is just to heavy to be the same back he was prior.  

This isn't just a Malik Miller issue though there are several young players that need to change their bodies going into next year if they want to be major contributors.  I might make a topic about it on one of these slow football days

Good point. This certainly gives another perspective to MM. I agree that it did look like we were trying to use MM as KP Part 2 and it just never materialized. I remember watching MM's high school tape and he did have a little wiggle (speed); not spectacular but certainly more than what's been shown at AU. I think he can be a really good RB for us so I'll def. keep an eye on him during the offseason.

29 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

My main point is that he'd be able to optimize his NFL career 2nd contract and more money quicker as a FA vs. being drafted if it's in the later rounds. Being a FA may not be that bad considering his position and situation. 

As a FA he might also have a better shot at selecting a team that needs a big back who can block...sometimes guys end up getting drafted by the wrong team and it can hold them back. 

Archived