Pettway Out for Peach Bowl

PigskinPat

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

4 carries in the SECCG. 4.

In the process of basically abandoning the run game.  I don't even know why people are still arguing about this. It totally changed UGAs defensive pressure because they ignored our run threat because we had given up trying to show one. The kick in the balls about the whole thing is KMart actually got decent yards when he ran, but we never went back to him. Classic big game Gus. Many things can be argued over to be factors why we lost. Fumbles, blocked field goal..etc. What can't be argued or explained is why Gus repeatedly sent a less than 50% KJ onto the field in a winner take all type of game. Soph....Freshman...WHO cares, they were 100% and fresh legs, and had been semi productive on the rare occasions they got to play previously. It's a risk Gus really had no choice but to take. He didn't...and became one dimensional. UGA took advantage and we lost...

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

4 carries in the SECCG. 4.

Already been discussed, but with their defenders living in our backfield and playing to hurt people, I don't blame Gus for not wanting to use a smaller back as an every down guy.

Constructive criticism isn’t allowed in Soviet Russia *cough, cough* Aufamily. See how black and white tactics work? 

48 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Already been discussed, but with their defenders living in our backfield and playing to hurt people, I don't blame Gus for not wanting to use a smaller back as an every down guy.

So....instead, he continues to trot the already injured RB back out there? Ok...I'm done with this...seems there's still some people that still can't handle that Gus made a bad decision and accept it. 

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

Didn’t need him to play every down, just more than he did. 

1 hour ago, leglessdan said:

So....instead, he continues to trot the already injured RB back out there? Ok...I'm done with this...seems there's still some people that still can't handle that Gus made a bad decision and accept it. 

Here's the thing, Dan. We can't know if he made a bad decision or not, because we have no idea what would have happened if he tried other things. Say he trots Martin or Miller out there in place of Kerryon and they either wiff or get blown off a block and Stidham gets hurt. Was it a bad decision then? Kerryon is by far our best blocker, and PassTheBiscuits said that Kerryon had no breaks or sprains. That means he was just dealing with pain, which sucks but playing doesn't put him at any more risk. Based on that, I'm going to believe that the guy who seriously out coached the mighty Saban just one week before did what he believed was the best possible thing to try to win and also keep his QB healthy.

I still believe our only shot was to have a healthy Kerryon, and even that was a long shot, because our O-Line was getting owned. Had our O-Line played like the did in the first Georgia game and the bama game, I think it would have been an entirely different game plan and outcome.

You still just don't get it. Probably never will, but whatever. To each his own. I'm done arguing about it...lol. WDE

3 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

I have no problem with how the coaches handled the RB situation up until the SECCG. KJ should have NEVER played a down. He was at less than 50%, looked gimpy, and he fumbled (which he rarely does). I know he was the rock to this team but we had to come up with an alternative for that game. We knew going into the game he was not going to be able to "bring it". 

Honestly the whole entire game plan in the SECCG was mind boggling considering that the UGA game and AL game a few weeks earlier had the best game plans I have seen from AU in years

But I digress. This topic is about Pettway and he is a mystery for sure. What an odd situation - is he still hurt hurt, wants to go pro, or some other thing? Looks like he just wants out? Just odd. 

Gus spends 3-4 games at the beginning of the season developing an offensive identity around a core group of players.  When one of those guys goes down prior to a decent opponent...we're toast. He needs another 3-4 games to get the next guy ready and for the new O identity to reemerge.

THAT's the next thing he needs to correct...whether its his philosophy that needs changing or getting more talented depth at key positions.

16 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

THAT's the next thing he needs to correct...whether its his philosophy that needs changing or getting more talented depth at key positions.

Or keeping the talent from getting hurt... We have a far higher rate of injury to our key offensive players than any other team in the SEC. There has to be a reason behind it.

28 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Or keeping the talent from getting hurt... We have a far higher rate of injury to our key offensive players than any other team in the SEC. There has to be a reason behind it.

It’s right in front of you , you just refuse to accept it. SW was just injury prone BTW. His size in the SEC didn’t help.

35 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I think many are saying that the reason our players get hurt is because we run them into the ground and we don't use other players.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

It’s right in front of you , you just refuse to accept it. SW was just injury prone BTW. His size in the SEC didn’t help.

What's right in front of me? Playing them too much? Pettway had a total of 76 carries and was hurt after 56. Kerryon's injury current injury had nothing to do with his legs or contact for that matter. His first injury came after 16 carries. We don't even need to get into running backs dropping like flies last year. Heck Truitt had 1 run and got hurt. 

4 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I think many are saying that the reason our players get hurt is because we run them into the ground and we don't use other players.

I know they are saying that, but if you look at the numbers, both historically and with other teams, the argument doesn't hold water. Also, other than Kam pulling his hammy last year, none of the injuries really match up with that theory.

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

This is a coaching failure.

I get that is what you see, because you seem to think someone with his level of skill (a level he wasn't even capable of last year) can just be replaced by the next man up. I see a offensive line falling apart and the need for the top running back in the conference, who can make something out of nothing an drag a chunk of the opposing team along with him for the ride, to make up for that... if that could have even done it.

Now, if you want to argue that the offensive line wasn't coached properly for the game, I'm all ears, but that was where I saw us break down... no holes, no protection... and no blocking on the perimeter for that matter. Had they played to the level they had been, Miller, Martin, Barrett, even Cox could have been our featured back and we would have probably won. Instead, we got beat in the trenches, plain and simple.

25 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

What's right in front of me? Playing them too much? Pettway had a total of 76 carries and was hurt after 56. Kerryon's injury current injury had nothing to do with his legs or contact for that matter. His first injury came after 16 carries. We don't even need to get into running backs dropping like flies last year. Heck Truitt had 1 run and got hurt. 

No not playing them too much. Building necessary depth for one in case one of them does get winded or have a spell where they shouldn’t go for a series or two. Secondly , I think another thing to consider is noticing when they are fatigue and winded and getting them fresh legs. It has shown that with build up of lactic acid, you can be prone to injury, if not for careful consideration . That is why someone who just ran a 100 meter dash shouldn’t run a 200 meter seconds or even minutes after. That is the point of staggering the events. One thing I hate to see is when our guys go for a long run and clearly winded and they are asked to carry the ball 3-4 times right after that . A lot of times they give themselves up because they are just plain dog tired.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

No not playing them too much. Building necessary depth for one in case one of them does get winded or have a spell where they shouldn’t go for a series or two. Secondly , I think another thing to consider is noticing when they are fatigue and winded and getting them fresh legs. It has shown that with build up of lactic acid, you can be prone to injury, if not for careful consideration . That is why someone who just ran a 100 meter dash shouldn’t run a 200 meter seconds or even minutes after. That is the point of staggering the events. One thing I hate to see is when our guys go for a long run and clearly winded and they are asked to carry the ball 3-4 times right after that . A lot of times they give themselves up because they are just plain dog tired.

This makes a lot of sense, and is potentially a fatal flaw in the whole "hurry up, no huddle" philosophy. That would be a great place to start in trying to figure out how to keep our guys healthy... look at the effects of short term fatigue.

15 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I get that is what you see, because you seem to think someone with his level of skill (a level he wasn't even capable of last year) can just be replaced by the next man up.

Hah, no, I neither think nor have said anything of the sort. At no point did I suggest that any of our backups should be as good as Kerryon Johnson at 100%. What I have said enough times to make many of our fellow posters nauseated, I'm sure, is that we should have had a better option than what Kerryon had become by the 2nd quarter of that game, which was something not particularly close to 100%.

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Hah, no, I neither think nor have said anything of the sort. At no point did I suggest that any of our backups should be as good as Kerryon Johnson at 100%. What I have said enough times to make many of our fellow posters nauseated, I'm sure, is that we should have had a better option than what Kerryon had become by the 2nd quarter of that game, which was something not particularly close to 100%.

And what I had said was that I believe we required Kerryon at 100% to win that game with the state of the rest of the team... so I guess we aren't even really arguing at all, just not getting where each other was coming from.

39 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

And what I had said was that I believe we required Kerryon at 100% to win that game with the state of the rest of the team... so I guess we aren't even really arguing at all, just not getting where each other was coming from.

And that is the catch . Yes a 100 percent KJ would be beneficial obviously , but if there isn’t a 100 percent KJ, we need some resolve for that issue. We don’t truly know if that is a prerequisite to win that game. The staff made it that way however but refusing to build necessary depth is what some of us are trying to get across. But might as well agree to disagree.

13 minutes ago, DAG said:

And that is the catch . Yes a 100 percent KJ would be beneficial obviously , but if there isn’t a 100 percent KJ, we need some resolve for that issue. We don’t truly know if that is a prerequisite to win that game. The staff made it that way however but refusing to build necessary depth is what some of us are trying to get across. But might as well agree to disagree.

Yea, I get what you are saying, I just don't think the loss is on the running back position. I don't think anyone but a superstar could have salvaged how bad our line play was, and if our line play had been up to standard, I think we would have had plenty of depth.

7 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Yea, I get what you are saying, I just don't think the loss is on the running back position. I don't think anyone but a superstar could have salvaged how bad our line play was, and if our line play had been up to standard, I think we would have had plenty of depth.

I honestly thought the line did as best they could with what was being served . UGA sold out on the philosophy that KJ, 100 percent or not, wasn’t going to beat us. What needed to happen was the others had to step up. JS has to step up, somebody in that WR Corp needed to make a big plays, the defense needed to get a turnover . Those are the little things in my eyes that are integrated in a championship team. We aren’t there yet. We will get there . You saw it in UGA. Jake Fromm was a completely different player post 1st quarter and the momentum went with the team. It helped that their defense caused a turnover as well. 

28 minutes ago, DAG said:

I honestly thought the line did as best they could with what was being served . UGA sold out on the philosophy that KJ, 100 percent or not, wasn’t going to beat us. What needed to happen was the others had to step up. JS has to step up, somebody in that WR Corp needed to make a big plays, the defense needed to get a turnover . Those are the little things in my eyes that are integrated in a championship team. We aren’t there yet. We will get there . You saw it in UGA. Jake Fromm was a completely different player post 1st quarter and the momentum went with the team. It helped that their defense caused a turnover as well. 

This.

It really felt to me like our guys were running on pure adrenaline and when Stidham lost that fumble, all of the wind went out of our sails along with it. 

I really hope, in a couple of weeks, we get to see what kind of wrinkles Chip is capable of adding now that he has a team with a season under his system and plenty of time to prepare some new plays.

In spite of all the noise about what we should’ve or could’ve done in the SECCG, it was still just 13-7 after 3 quarters. Gus seems to have made some big progress this season and proved that our roster can and should compete with the top SEC teams. I need to see those lessons Gus learned play out in a decisive Peach Bowl win. Also, I think Kam Martin is pretty good. He’s over 100 carries in his career now and averaging almost 7 years per carry. I know some of that is in mop up duty, but him and Barrett both have a great burst where they are 5 and 6 yards downfield before you know it. I’m hoping to see more of both of them in the Bowl Game. 

9 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

In spite of all the noise about what we should’ve or could’ve done in the SECCG, it was still just 13-7 after 3 quarters. Gus seems to have made some big progress this season and proved that our roster can and should compete with the top SEC teams. I need to see those lessons Gus learned play out in a decisive Peach Bowl win. Also, I think Kam Martin is pretty good. He’s over 100 carries in his career now and averaging almost 7 years per carry. I know some of that is in mop up duty, but him and Barrett both have a great burst where they are 5 and 6 yards downfield before you know it. I’m hoping to see more of both of them in the Bowl Game. 

The bowl game is huge . Very huge . People act like they don’t care, but let us lose and see the response...

Archived