Where do we stand...?

tigeraddikt

This season is trending very closely to last season so far. We are more talented and experienced than last year, but the W/L record and quality of opponents 9 games in is basically the same as last year (with the exception of an inexplicable Boston College loss last year; BC lost its last 15 games last year and finished 9-23 overall). This year's Temple tournament loss is like last year's Purdue tournament loss. To me the first real test of whether or not this team is going to end up remarkably improved over last year in W's and L's is this Saturday vs. a very good MTSU team with a very good RPI. This Blue Raiders team has chewed up and spit out SEC teams recently, so it will be a 40-minute test for Pearl and the guys. I'm anxious to see how crisply AU can execute Pearl's game plan vs. a seasoned, well-coached, experienced team the likes of which they have not yet faced this season.

A road win at Dayton would normally be excellent, but Dayton is just not good this year; in 2016, a road win at UConn should have been a sign of great things to come, but it wasn't, as UConn struggled all season. UConn comes to AU the weekend prior to Christmas, but they're not very sound again this year. I watched them struggle to put away a winless Coppin St. team a couple days ago. To me, the biggest assets AU has this year are 1.) Harper's greatly improved play; 2.) McLemore's commitment to defense and rebounding, which sets the tone for AU's defense and rebounding; 3.) The relentless motors of Dunbar and Murray. These guys play with intensity, and they move their feet. They bring great energy to the floor. **Honorable mention to Okeke for providing depth at forward, Bryce Brown for basically finding and maintaining his stroke since game 1, and Davion Mitchell for providing talented depth at guard.**

Even without Purifoy and Wiley, I believe this team could definitely make the NCAA tournament. But we have very little room for attrition, be it injuries or anything else. We can't thrive in the conference with Heron's back spazzing or w/o a key rebounder like McLemore. It's still out in front of Pearl and this year's version of AU basketball. However, I do believe we are greatly improved in experience, energy, fundamental understanding of game plan and execution, and team chemistry.

Only my opinion...Temple is a decent team, so I don't feel AS sick as I did after the BC loss. Obi's 6-10 Senior frame gave us trouble. As a whole, I enjoy the team's chemistry, overall fight (given the unfortunate situation around the program), and the improved rebounding. The only persistent issue I've seen is 3pt defense. Still seeing more uncontested long shots than I'd like to see. That always hurts moving into SEC play.

Archived